Home
I may have the opportunity to trade for one in a 270 Medallion model. The gentlemen who owns it acquired it from a family member who won it in a raffle, and it has sat in its box, never fired. Is Browning still putting out rifles with octagon barrels? Based on the very limited info I've provided here, what is an approximate value of this rifle?
I'd do a search on Gunbroker.com. I see them occasionally there. Prices vary depending on the chambering, it seems and the grade of the rifle.
For a short period of time, Browning made a rifle called the A-Bolt Custom Trophy. It had a octagonal bbl. and came with upgraded wood and I believe it had a grip cap as well.

Ask your friend if it has custom trophy engraved on the receiver and bottom metal. If so, it could be worth $1200 or so.

Here is a pic of one.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

JM
I've examined the rifle, although that was over a year ago. It appeared to be a standard Medallion model very similar to the Medallion .30-06 that I currently own (with the exception of the octagon barrel). Wood was nice but not great.

I'll keep checking around, but I thought I might get a better picture of it's actual value here than the auction sites. The owner is a good friend, and will not try to squeeze top dollar from me through a trade or straight sale. By the same token, I want to make sure he comes out at least even if not a little ahead on the deal.

Thanks for the comments folks.
Hey Techsan, the ones I've seen had the octagon barrels, matte finished wood stocks and had Medallion on the receivers. They were selling for around $1100 Canadian and weighed about 8 ounces more than the usual models. Nice looking rigs...too nice to drag around hunting for me, otherwise I'd have bought one in .270 Winchester.
© 24hourcampfire