Home
Posted By: SamOlson Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/07/10
I never really liked the plastic covered shroud on my A7. The innards are metal and it works just fine but for whatever reason it bugged me.

FWIW, an 85 shroud will fit the A7 and Brownell's has them in stock.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31245/Product/BOLT_SHROUD_85_ACTIONS_S_M_M__RH__SS

Before.
[Linked Image]

After.
(it takes about 12 seconds to swap them out)
[Linked Image]

Posted By: DanAdair Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/07/10
How long did it take you to stick the Mudflap Hotty on the buttstock?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/07/10
Sam, now that is interesting. The shroud on the A7 has a metal liner correct ,I still don't understand how a plastic covered metal shroud can be any cheaper then making an all metal shroud? Good price on it
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/07/10
Good info. I don't have anything to add but I wanted to post something so I can easily find this thread at a later date.

Best:)
Nicely done Sam, and you know I just love the redneck palm swell don't ya....grin

Missing seeing you out at Logan!

Dober
Posted By: Horseman Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/07/10
Well done. I don't care for the looks of the A7 shroud. I think the 85 shroud is about the nicest looking shroud on the market. Great tip!
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/07/10
Dan, Hotty sticker took longer to apply than the shroud.

Oldelkhunter, you are correct, the A7 has a hard plastic shroud with a metal insert.

Gary, if you have an A7 or are thinking about getting one, it's beyond easy to swap them out.
I don't even use the shroud 'wrench' anymore, hands and a good push/twist work fine. That is one really nice thing about the Sako bolt design, easy to strip/clean in the field if needed.

Dober, I know you love the fancy stock work!
I am gonna try and get to Bozeman around Wednesday/Thursday of next week, geeze now that I think about it I've been gone a month and a half this last time up.

Horseman, yeah the A7 shroud is ugly. Like you say, the 85 version looks a helluva alot better!
Posted By: AMRA Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/07/10
What caliber is your A 7 ?
What is the weight on your A 7 ?
Marks Outdoors over in Birmingham will have used A 7 rifles from time to time I was interested in your feed back on them.
I have never even saw one in person here in Alabama.
Is your A 7 similar to this new Tecomate A 7 I keep hearing about?
AMRA
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/07/10
AMRA, it's a 300WSM.

7lbs 6ozs loaded and ready to rip with a 2.5-8x36 VX3, I have a 6x42 on it now so it might weigh a little more or less.
[Linked Image]

You want to keep a firm hold on it when shooting but recoil really isn't all that bad. The stock ain't much and I'm far from a rifle snob so it's a good match.
Consistently accurate rifle(I bedded the lug) from various shooting postitions(bipod--bench--hood of the truck...).

I think the Tecomate has a different stock, there was a recent thread on that rifle in the Gunwriters forum.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/07/10
That shroud from Brownells is $10 cheaper if you get the Brownells discount.
Gotta love the C&R!
Posted By: sako4me Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/08/10
Anyone know if it might also fit the Tikka T3's? The shroud on the A-7 looks the same as the Tikkas.
Posted By: MERWIN Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/09/10
Originally Posted by sako4me
Anyone know if it might also fit the Tikka T3's? The shroud on the A-7 looks the same as the Tikkas.

Wondering the same thing myself....
Posted By: SU35 Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/10/10
Thanks for the heads up on that shroud Sams.

I'm a buyer.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/10/10
Fantastic Sam!!! Excellent touch to a fine rifle!!............Hillbilly.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/10/10
Bob and Craig, I think it looks a helluva alot better!

Not sure about Tikka swapage.
I was cleaning the A7 and 85 bolts at the same time and noticed that they are exactly the same on the end opposite the lugs(lug design is different but that obviously doesn't matter).

Tomorrow(which is now today) I will try and remember to post a picture of the bolt with the shroud removed so you guys can compare it to your Tikkas.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/10/10
You did good Sam, I love it!!!...............Hillbilly.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/10/10
10-4, I better get to bed!
Posted By: Horseman Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/10/10
Won't fit a Tikka. Different design completely.
Posted By: CullingTime Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/11/10
Must be a popular swap as they are on backorder.
Posted By: magnumb Re: Sako A7 shroud swap. - 08/12/10
I ordered a T3 shroud from Brownell's some 6 months ago and it arrived last week..........that's a long time....wink.

Any further problems with this item and I'll go with a metal aftermarket shroud. More $, but likely the last problem of that sort that I'll have.

I own several T3's and this is the first shroud issue, so I'm still hopeful the other's will hold up. A "not the end of the world" problem anyway, but I like all my tools properly maintained and at least in stock condition.
© 24hourcampfire