Home
Posted By: Swampman700 Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/09/10
Have any of you done anything to your Super Shadow to make it better? Let's see some pics. I'd like to drop my action into a walnut stock but replacement bottom metal seems very expensive. I wouldn't mind doing without the bottom metal if I could. Mine's a 300 WSM.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/09/10
WTF?...You own a Super Shadow M70.....?

Is nothing sacred?

Ingwe
$319.00 with scope & nice sling I couldn't say no. I needed a bad weather rifle.
Damn......

You are making more and more sense with every post...

I guess nothing is sacred.....

Ingwe
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/09/10
Did you try Numrich?
CDNN is selling walnut featherweight stocks. You can buy the bottom metal from Winchester. For another $150 to $200 you could make that a nice looking rifle.
I didn't see anything at Numrich's site. You think current production FN bottom metal will fit & that Winchester will sell it to me?
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Have any of you done anything to your Super Shadow to make it better? Let's see some pics. I'd like to drop my action into a walnut stock but replacement bottom metal seems very expensive. I wouldn't mind doing without the bottom metal if I could. Mine's a 300 WSM.
............Swampy owns a Win rifle??? And in a 300 WSM??? Stop the presses!

I thought his world only revolved around Remy 700s and 30-06s. Oh! But he will make an exception IF the deal is good enough!.... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
I converted a Winchester/USRA 70 Super Shadow with a walnut stock from CDNN and bottom metal from Browning/Winchester for about $160.

I posted the following on this subject on www.wssmzone.com back in February 2010:

02/07/10

I ordered the parts from www.winchesterguns.com for $107+/-.

I'm going to use this bottom-metal to swap a 70 Super Shadow into a 70 Fwt stock that I bought for $50 from CDNN. When I get the parts and get the swap done, I'll let you know how it works.

Jeff

02/10/10

I got the 6 parts today and they fit.

1 - U353150050 - Magazine cover catch
1 - U353150710 - 70 Magazine floot plt WSSM - MAT -
1 - U354100450 - Pin, mag cover hinge plt
1 - U354120150 - Magazine cover catch pin
1 - U356401680 - M70 ss mag cov catch spr
1 - U356602500 - M70 trig guard S/A 1pc WSSM Mat - 03

Browning
3005 Arnold Tenbrook Road
Arnold, MO 63010-4728

You can reach the Parts Department at 800-322-4626 x 2863

I think that the $160+/- cost to convert a Super Shadow to a Featherweight format is $$ well spent.

**** THE PART NUMBERS LISTED ABOVE ARE FOR THE 70 WSSM ACTION, SO THEY WON'T ALL BE THE CORRECT PARTS FOR A 70 SHORT ACTION. ****

Jeff
I ordered a SA checkered featherweight stock with what appears to be the thicker recoil pad from CDNN. It was $79.95.

Now I'll have to see if I can figure out the part numbers for the WSM parts I need.
Posted By: tzone Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/09/10
It's better than a 700. You shouldn't have to do anything.
Tom.......be kind...I think he's on some kind of new medication...and it appears to be working.....

Ingwe
I don't think the CRPF Model 70 is better, it's just different. I do like the 3 pos. safety because the bolt is locked closed.

I made an ugly one still ugly but a little different with some spray paint.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...lentine_s_Day_Makeover_for_a#Post2819786
Posted By: tzone Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/09/10
I ordered a SA checkered featherweight stock with what appears to be the thicker recoil pad from CDNN. It was $79.95.

Now I'll have to see if I can figure out the part numbers for the WSM parts I need.

Is that detached mag rifle?
No it has a plastic stock with a blind magazine well. I need all the metal bits.

Replacement bottom metal is not any more expensive then what is found on a 700 only difference being the Winchester uses real machined steel. Just call them up and tell them you have the walmart model 70 in a short mag and they will get it to you. I did it about 5 years ago or so and bought a featherweight stock from EBay...it really turned out very well.
You will have to inlet the stock for the different barrel profile. The basic one-piece Winchester bottom metal is not machined steel, it is aluminum (not sure how it is made). Nice thing about the one-piece bottom metal, you can get rid of that middle action screw.

I like the CRPF actions better than CRF actions. They single feed easier and still offer CRF feeding out of the box.

I have had a couple of those Super Shadows, I just dug out the can of Krylon camo and went to town.
Posted By: CCH Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/10/10
Current Winchester one piece bottom metal is steel.
Parts of it are, not all of it.
Parts of it are, not all of it.

I believe the new CDNN MOdel 70 stocks require the 1 piece bottom metal that is aluminum/steel. I bought the older 2 piece floorplate thru winchester for a new haven featherweight stock ..I purchased the magazine well, floorplate and not sure if I used the original follower or purchased another one.
WTF is going on here?
swampy on a M70 binge or what?

Posted By: MagMarc Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/10/10
I'm waiting for "They don't shoot worth a damn" comeback............
no follow up with the featherweight post yet?

I too am waiting for the fictitious punchline.

Set us up and lay on the sob story, heavily.. "how do you get them to shoot" etc...

Thinkin?

I'm going to the range on Friday. I probably won't shoot the WSM because I have several rifles to check and sight in.
Well don't try shoot'n too many, that can backfire on a man.

Goal is to sight in the Featherseight and shoot some 180s out of the .30-06 to see how they do. I also want to shoot my new 572 Fieldmaster.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/10/10
If Winchester ever made an accurate rifle it hasn't left the factory yet........................... grin
Winchesters can be accurate. Rugers are a pig in a poke.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/11/10
You'll buy a 77 next.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/11/10
$319.00 with scope & nice sling I couldn't say no. I needed a bad weather rifle.

What, no free car wash coupon for that price ?
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Well don't try shoot'n too many, that can backfire on a man.

Dam, man, that just made me snort my beer up thru my nose!
Why?

Christ, I picked the wrong week to get sniffing glue!

Oh for the love of God! What in the Hades are you doing?

Put the medication down and step away...we want the old Swampy back!

wink

The Featherweight stock came from CDNN today. I guess FedEx delivers on Sunday. It looks awesome and fits the action just fine. It's much darker walnut than my 7mm-08 and it has a nice thick recoil pad. They also included (for free)a plastic piece that allows you to use 1 piece bottom metal if you wish. Now I just have to prder the bottom metal from Winchester.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/14/10
Swampy, have you looked into the bottom metal from Pacific Tool and Gauge ?
That's cheaper than Winchester. I guess I could blue it myself. Thanks for the tip.
That, or Gun Parts in NY state. They probably have a blued (or blackened) BM unit.
Have you got a link for CDNN to the stock? I have a shadow push feed 270 I might be interested in converting....It has bottom metal already....
I think he's talking about this place..

CDNN LINK
I'm gonna hate myself for not buying up some more of these before they are gone.
Then you'll probably hate yourself even more with this one...

Winchester Super Grade stock..
You shoot this thing yet?
I have to order the bottom metal. I probabaly won't order it until after Thanksgiving.
Ever look at the williams stuff?

It's pretty expensive. I do plan on getting one of their extractors for my CRF 7mm-08.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/15/10
Do you have pictures if the rifle?

What are you going to use the WSM for?
I haven't taken a picture yet. Deer and Elk I suppose. I may try to load it down to .30-06 levels for deer.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/15/10
It would make a beautiful elk rifle.

Here it is mocked up in the new stock.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calvin Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/16/10
Christmas decorations up already?
My wife put everything up so when we return from NC we don't have to do it.

I hope I get a VX-II 3-9X40 in my stocking.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/16/10
I thought you sold your last Leupold and would never own another one.............
All this redo to create the "Super 70 Swamp Shadow Delux"

Sub-MOA with Core-Lokts of course...
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I thought you sold your last Leupold and would never own another one.............

I can't really afford a Conquest, and I think these Model 70s deserve some bling.
I'm sure I'll try some Core-Lokts.
Swampy:
Good project. Glad to see you going Winchester
VX-II is a good pic
I see Dual Dovetail mounts and Titanium Cerakote
Hope its a shooter
I ordered the steel one piece bottom metal from Pacific Tool and Gauge.
The bottom metal came in from Pacific Tool and Guage. It fits perfectly, functions properly, and all needed parts were included. I just need to blue it.
I ordered aome Oxpho-Blue this morning I'll post pics when it's finished.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Model 70 Super Shadow Mods - 11/29/10
How's the fit and finish on that bottom metal.
It bolted right up and everything works perfectly. The finish looks like they ran it in a tumbler for awhile (smooth very slightly hammered metal finish.) I wish it was a little tighter on the inletting but to me it is acceptable. I'll compare the wood to metal fit to some factory Model 70 bottom metal when I get home tonight.

I considered doing nitre bluing.
The factory metal on my 7mm-08 fits just a little better than the Pacific Tool and Gauge metal.
© 24hourcampfire