Home
Posted By: Kimberman Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/16/10
I have a Kimber 84M Montana that I have never put a sling on, mainly because its so light I have never needed a sling for that rifle. I am going on a East TN mountain hog hunt next week and may need my hands freed up for climbing or hiking. I dont want a gaudy, heavy sling for that rifle, and would prefer synthetic, what slings would be on your short list for my rifle?
I like the The Super Sling 2+ from The Outdoor Connection on plastic stocked rifles.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/16/10
Originally Posted by Kimberman
I have a Kimber 84M Montana that I have never put a sling on, mainly because its so light I have never needed a sling for that rifle. I am going on a East TN mountain hog hunt next week and may need my hands freed up for climbing or hiking. I dont want a gaudy, heavy sling for that rifle, and would prefer synthetic, what slings would be on your short list for my rifle?

Butler Creek Mountain sling. Light, nylon, good swivels, tough, and slip-resistant on the shoulder area.

I have several on rifles, and they work great and are very lightweight.
Posted By: Browtine Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/16/10
I love my from Ultraflex sling from Slogan Outdoors. I think mine weighs about 7 ozs with swivels.
Posted By: TDMax Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/16/10
Originally Posted by Browtine
I love my from Ultraflex sling from Slogan Outdoors. I think mine weighs about 7 ozs with swivels.

Looks good. I'm going to try a couple of these. One for my Sako synthetic 260 and another for Dad's old '94. I especially like the two strap system for "backpacking" it.
Posted By: Browtine Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/16/10
Originally Posted by TDMax
Originally Posted by Browtine

Looks good. I'm going to try a couple of these. One for my Sako synthetic 260 and another for Dad's old '94. I especially like the two strap system for "backpacking" it.

They are also tacky rubber so will not slip and just enough bounce to them to take the weight off your shoulder when walking. If you sling it over both shoulders "backpack style" your rifle is not going anywhere.
I picked up a Gander Mountain synthetic (nylon?) sling recently. It camo with a grippy material stitched to the inside. Light, std. sling swivel width. I prefer minimal and this isn't quite minimal but is better than most. I've given up on leather in this climate and plain nylon won't stay on my shoulder.
Posted By: BlackFrog Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/16/10
I like the Boonie Packer 1" sling. Very minimal weight, and it has two rows of rubber 'threads' woven into it that provide grippiness on the shoulder. $14

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=17
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/16/10
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
I like the Boonie Packer 1" sling. Very minimal weight, and it has two rows of rubber 'threads' woven into it that provide grippiness on the shoulder. $14

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=17

Blackfrog;
We bought 2 of the 1" this past year to test and 2 of the 2" models.

We really like the 1" and have recommended it to others. We like the sticky sections that are woven right into the fabric. It is head and shoulders above a non-coated/sticky type nylon strap.

I'm not as happy with the 2" and believe they will be replaced with 1" very soon. Oh well, live and learn.

Good luck to the OP whichever way you decide to go.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: Partagas Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/16/10
Butler Creek mountain sling for synthtic or more fitting the adjustable leather Montana sling for a Montana. Made by our very own scenershooter.
Vero Vellini. German made. Not the cheapest, just the best. Have used a lot of the others mentioned until I tried these.

Midway USA - Vero Vellini

I like and use the BlackHawk Mountain sling. It has a non-slip liner in the underside so it stays put on your shoulder. FWIW
Get a simple sling, and put a pair of these on it
[Linked Image]
I have some for my M70, and they have held up for years now, and they are quiet.
Posted By: Kimberman Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/17/10
Originally Posted by rmpace
I like and use the BlackHawk Mountain sling. It has a non-slip liner in the underside so it stays put on your shoulder. FWIW

I ordered one of these today from Midway, thanks for the input guys.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/17/10
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by Kimberman

Butler Creek Mountain sling. Light, nylon, good swivels, tough, and slip-resistant on the shoulder area.

I have several on rifles, and they work great and are very lightweight.

Exactly what I use as well. Love that sling!
Posted By: GF1 Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/17/10
You can get a cheap Uncle Mike's or equivalent synthetic sling at Walmart for <$15.

Here's the best I've found, have two for different swivel stud spacing:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1180/Product/QUICK_SET_LATIGO_reg__SLING

Pricey, but worth every penny.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/17/10
Butler Creek Mountain sling. Have five which I switch around as needed on different rifles.
I used the Ultraflex rifle/shotgun sling this year during my Western South Dakota deer hunt. I loved it, would recommend to anybody whos doing alot of walking. I will be getting a couple more.
BC Mountain Sling.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/23/10
Originally Posted by Beargrease
Vero Vellini. German made. Not the cheapest, just the best. Have used a lot of the others mentioned until I tried these.

+1. It's what I use on all my riles. Cabela's had them on sale a while back and I bought 4 to add to the one I already had.

Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/23/10
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
BC Mountain Sling.

Yep.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/23/10
BC Alaskan.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/23/10
I've (3) different neoprene/synthetic slings on my Montucky's.

The BC less cartridge loops,is my favorite and I prefer S/S swivels over synthetic(greased to boot).................

Posted By: 16bore Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/23/10
I like Brutes and Talons, though the Talons are a bit rough around the edges...
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/24/10
Originally Posted by Comrade_Cheese
Get a simple sling, and put a pair of these on it
[Linked Image]
I have some for my M70, and they have held up for years now, and they are quiet.

They squeak like a bastard here,even when greased in S/S studs.

Hint...................
Check out Outdoor Connection. They have more than 25 types of sling designs and other stuff too. I've ordered direct from them a couple times. They have great service. Ask for Lupe.

http://outdoorconnection.com/products.cfm?page=sub_categories&cat=Sling

I have a few Super Sling 2+ (1.25in.)in most all colors offered. Some I ordered with their Talon swivels they offer. I like the talons. I also like the thumb loop. With Mil-Spec webbing and better hardware they are very well made. My favorite is an OD green set up for QD swivels and flush cups. It goes great with my forest McMillan M40A1

My buddy picked up a $6.buck 1inch Winchester with neoprene at Wal-Mart. Its swivels were garbage so I gave him some stainless talon swivels. He loves that thing. I thought it might be bouncy. I would pass on that one but it's very light for what it is.

Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/25/10
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by Beargrease

+1. It's what I use on all my riles. Cabela's had them on sale a while back and I bought 4 to add to the one I already had.

I have several of the Vero Vellinis. I like them. Not one complaint.

I'll have to check out a BC Mountain.

I bought a set of those plastic "silent" sling swivels. They were the noisiest thing I've used! Went back to the Unca Mikes steel version
Vellinis' nice stuff.

Are they imported or Made In USA ??
Posted By: orion03 Re: Sling for Kimber Montana - 11/25/10
Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling with the nickel plated swivels. Cheap and works good.
Best lightweight I've used (on 3 of my rigs):

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=154&pg=1
© 24hourcampfire