Home
Posted By: wrongtime Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
Does anyone use this rifle and what is your opinion of it?
Posted By: Kentucky_Windage Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
I would also be interested in any first-hand reports on this rifle.
Posted By: archie_james_c Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
I have one in .338 Federal. Awesome rifle. The trigger comes from the shop with an amazing pull...no adjustment nessecary. The bolt is smooth as glass. I'm not a fan of the lack of lightweight scope mounting optoins out there but, meh.

The general concencus with Model 85's seem to be they shoot anything, factory or home grown, into tiny little groups. smile
What groups best out of your rifle? Details, please...

And what's the scoop re. limited scope mounting options? Haven't really researched the rifle yet...
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
Not the biggest deer ever but:

[Linked Image]

I shot it with a great rifle.

Sako 85's have superb triggers, are guaranteed MOA accurate - most will do even better, feed smooth as glass and handle well. The Grey Wolf is a little heavier than the Stainless synthetic stock M-85 but I prefer the feel of wood, especially in cold weather and the laminated stock gives that to you in a rifle that is still pretty much weather-proof. I have several other rifles including other sako's but my Grey Wolf has pretty much become my go-to rifle. It just feels good and flat shoots great........................................DJ
Posted By: BlackRifle Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
I have a Grey Wolf model 75 in .308 win it shoots exstremely
well 1/2 groups at 100yds.I rarely use it because of weight.I
usually reach for my .280 rem in weatherby ultralight. I will
say it is well made worth every penny I paid I have a synthetic
stainless that shoots almost as good its a little lighter but I
usually pass on it as well.
When I was referring to lightweight scope mounts I meant a one-piece Talley style mount. With the Sako you're basically stuck with 150$ blocky Opti-Locks, Leupold ring mounts (a tad heavy) or Warne Ring Mounts (I had an experience with them were a set I had wouldnt fit worth a damn). I currently have Leupold ring-mounts on it, I think I might try the Warnes again.

With my VXII 2-7X33 on 6X I can shoot 3 round Sub-Moa, 100 yard groups with the following load combo's. Keep in mind that the Sako Short action allows you to load the bullets out much farther than factory, around 12 thou farther out.

160 TTSX over 50 grains of 8208 XBR
185 TTSX over 47.5 grains of 8208 XBR
200 SST over 48.5 grains of 8208 XBR (could go higher, no room
210 X-Bullet and H4895, can't remember the charge
225 SST over 46.5 grains H4895 (46 grn's went 0.6")

I'll be buying some 200, 225 grain Accubombs, 250 spitzer Woodleighs, and some more 225 SST's over the winter to set up as well.

If I remember right, the 250 pointed Woodliegh is the same length as a 210 partition??
Thanks for the info.

Tried any NPs?
Posted By: Shadow Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
When I was referring to lightweight scope mounts I meant a one-piece Talley style mount. With the Sako you're basically stuck with 150$ blocky Opti-Locks, Leupold ring mounts (a tad heavy) or Warne Ring Mounts (I had an experience with them were a set I had wouldnt fit worth a damn). I currently have Leupold ring-mounts on it, I think I might try the Warnes again.

Archie,

You can also try these bases, by IOR Valdada:

Sako Picatinny 2 PC base

Plenty of lightweight 1", 30mm, 34mm and 35mm aluminum rings about that fit the standard 1913 Picatinny rail. I use a pair of Nightforce 30mm Ultralight Titanium Rings on an older AIII with these bases.

Bob

Unfortunately I haven't....better put some 210's on the winter bullet order smile . I do know they're damned stubby....should be able to stoke them up pretty hot!
Let us know how that works out. Very interested to see how it shoots NPs.
Posted By: prm Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
Don't want to go off subject, but archie james c, what speeds are you seeing with 8208 XBR? Looking to get some now to try with the Fed due in part because it's supposed to be VERY temperature insensitive, but also provide good speeds. Thx.

I considered picking up a Grey Wolf but preferred the feel of the Ruger. Lots to like about the Sakos though. A better rifle overall probably.

Honestly I couldn't tell you, I don't own a chrony! I know, I know, a handloader who doesn't own a chrony...shameful. I plan to borrow a friends very soon. Hopefully I'll get some numbers up before this thread loses interest LOL
There seems to be a lot to like... but I've resisted thus far due mainly to weight and price. Still trying to rationalize why I should buy one, let alone decide on a caliber.

I do see a NIB rifle in .338 Fed on Gunbroker for an even $1,000. Too bad I already have one in a Ruger... Also see a NIB rifle in 25-06 for $1075, but my Wby. 257 would likely revolt. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions...
One in 300 win mag would be classy for the style of the gun smile .

Mind you, my short action grey wolf with a 2-7 leupold and leupy mounts is easy as pie to "mountain carry" ie; in your hand under the magazine, with no sling. It would be ideal in a McMillan EDGE
Hmmm. Maybe you're right. A little extra weight in a 300 Win Mag wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Also, I don't have one... 300WSM, yes... 338 RCM, yes... so how would I justify this? Ammo availability? *laughing* But I wouldn't swap stocks. I really LIKE the looks of the rifle.
Posted By: prm Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
No worries, thx! By the way, the 210 NPs are very friendly with the 338 Fed since they are so short.
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Hmmm. Maybe you're right. A little extra weight in a 300 Win Mag wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Also, I don't have one... 300WSM, yes... 338 RCM, yes... so how would I justify this? Ammo availability? *laughing* But I wouldn't swap stocks. I really LIKE the looks of the rifle.

It is a gorgeous stock. I meant *I* would like an EDGE to make mine a little more "versatile".

I think you NEED a Grey Wolf .300 Win. Mag because it's classy, would handle recoil well, and is a ballistic [bleep] missle.

Posted By: wrongtime Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
For the most part, I have owned American made rifles all my life and have paid little attention to the Sako rifles; though I am aware they are highly regarded. I have become interested in this model, but am a little taken aback at the asking price. I am accustomed to such prices on fine wood and blue steel rifles; but a stainless and laminate? Are these rifles really worth the money? If so, why?
Originally Posted by prm
No worries, thx! By the way, the 210 NPs are very friendly with the 338 Fed since they are so short.

Im hoping that because of the added seating length in the Sako mag I can stoke it up real nice...
Originally Posted by wrongtime
For the most part, I have owned American made rifles all my life and have paid little attention to the Sako rifles; though I am aware they are highly regarded. I have become interested in this model, but am a little taken aback at the asking price. I am accustomed to such prices on fine wood and blue steel rifles; but a stainless and laminate? Are these rifles really worth the money? If so, why?

You could pay the same price for a fine wood and blued steel version of the Sako 85 if you so desire...

http://sako.fi/sako85models.php?classic
Posted By: wrongtime Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Originally Posted by wrongtime

You could pay the same price for a fine wood and blued steel version of the Sako 85 if you so desire...

http://sako.fi/sako85models.php?classic

Yes, I know; but that would not serve the purpose of the rifle. I'm looking for an indestructible, weatherproof, go-anywhere sort of rifle. I cannot stand a synthetic stock. Laminate is as far as I'll go from traditional wood. I am just not accustomed to seeing such "soulless" rifles at such prices. Do they really offer more than a Ruger, for example? I believe in getting what I pay for.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
I had a 75 Greywolf, traded it on an 85 stainless/syn. The Greywolf was a heavy bastid, fun to shoot not carry.

If you can't stomach plastic and weight is not an issue(and it's not raining everyday) just get wood. Unless you are truly abusing the rifle wood ain't gonna be that much of an issue.
Posted By: castnblast Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
I had a Greywolf in .308. My brother in law liked it so much he pestered me to sell it to him. And to encourage him to start hunting again I sold it to him.
I liked that rifle a lot, and shot it better than any other I have owned so far. I liked the very quick lock time and crisp trigger. That combination allowed me to make running shots with relative ease. The fit and balance worked exceptionally well for me. The only small concern I had was the magazine. It was possible to make the shells in the magazine rattle if you loaded a full magazine, bolted one into the chamber, and then when carrying the rifle the rest of the shells in the mag would rattle slightly front and back when the rifle was moved quickly. But that's it. NO other issues with quality, accuracy or function. They are good rifles.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
Sako 75 and 85's are rifles that are manufactured to a higher standard instead of made to sell at a price point. You see machined steel instead of MIM parts, the internal parts are finished better, they are machined more square than many other rifles that are made to compete on price. If you are looking for higher overall quality the Sako 85's are for you and the price is well justified.

If you want a very good rifle at a lower price point you might look into the Sako A7's or Tikka T3's. They are very good rifles but have a few less expensively manufactured parts such as the stocks and magazines.......................DJ
Odd that I never noticed before, but the Beretta USA site lists the 85 Grey Wolf in only a handful of calibers (not counting the varmint, set-trigger versions). The Sako Finland site doesn't list the Grey Wolf at all -- just the "Hunter Laminated Stainless" in many more chamberings. I assume they are essentially the same rifle?
Posted By: bh444 Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
I had a 85 Greywolf(338 Fed).True it was noticably heavier than my Finnlight(308Win),but not bad.A tad over 7#,bare naked.But it was light by the standard Mod.444 Marlin I lugged around for years.
Everything said about their quality and performance equals my results.The Sako is the best I've used yet.Total confidence.
BTW Optilock RINGMOUNTS (one piece) are the way to go.
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: Sako 85 Grey Wolf - 11/18/10
These groups were shot with stainless Sako 75's and 85's but I have no doubt a greywolf would shoot the same. These groups were all shot at 100 yards and the orange dots are one inch.

Sako 85 25-06 100 grain TSX
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Sako 75 270 WSM 130 grain BT

Sako 75 270 win 130 BT
© 24hourcampfire