Home
If I were to sell this rifle, what would be a fair asking price?

It's a 1956 Winchester Model 70 .300 H&H mag in excellent+ condition. All original with less than 100 rounds down the tube. Factory pad, sights, sight hood, etc. 26" barrel. Weaver KV 1.75-5x variable included. My father-in-law received it as a high school graduation gift and fired less than 20 rounds through it before sticking it away in his safe until he gave it to me a few years back. I've put maybe 65-70 rounds through it and have only used it on three hunts (Utah Shiras bull, muley buck, and a cow elk), before a Kimber Montana .300 WSM took over as my favorite big-game rifle.

Not 100% sure I want to sell it, but have my eye on a couple things I could put the money toward and I hate to have it sitting around collecting dust when I know there's someone out there who would use and enjoy it more than I do. Thanks in advance.

[Linked Image]
keep it in the family and pass it to your kids. guns like that aren't exactly replaceable. but then again it sounds like it wasn't that important to your F-I-L
Easy $1,250ish, maybe more to the right buyer. Nice rifle.
I basically have the same gun arrived at by the same deal. Mine is a 1955, but has the standard stock with the metal butt plate. It was my Step MIL's elk rifle. Only two boxes shot by her. It even came with three boxes of old 1955-57 date code Winchester Silvertips. They still work.. I would not sell mine for $1250.00 They are not the most rare models, but few survive in the original 300 H&H chamber, let alone 95%+ condition. Mine will be passed down to the family when I depart.
$1650 in 95% condition according to the Blue Book, but that bolt knob looks awful shiny for only a hundred rounds down the barrel.
Yep I'd say you would get $1500, and up to $2000 if the right person sees it. I have a 1955 version, I sure do like it, and plan on holding on to it.... til death do us part.
$1500 ish.
Originally Posted by orion03
$1650 in 95% condition according to the Blue Book, but that bolt knob looks awful shiny for only a hundred rounds down the barrel.

Bolt may have gotten rubbed in a scabbard. If so there should be a little rubbing on the muzzle. The extractor looks clean along with checkering, overall blue and scratch free trigger guard.

If I was in the mood I'd go $1400-$1500 if it all checked out.

Heavy as sin, but a lot of rifle for that price.
As pictured, best estimate is $1250-$1400.. These are fine rifles - congrats on your good fortune to have one..
battue,

Generally the standard and magnum pre-64's are heavy, but I have a 1955 .300 H&H that weighs 8-1/2 pounds exactly with a 6x36 Leupold in Talley Lightweight mounts. The only non-factory part about it is a 1" Decelerator pad fitted to the standard LOP. It's lightest non-Featherweight pre-'64 I've ever owned!
I am not sure how you lot do things over there.....in my family we do not sell gifts.
Gift them on by all means, but never sell.
Keep an eye on this one and see what it sells for:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200821053

It appears to be made in 1960, don't know how it would compare to your rifle. Probably pretty close.
Looks like the one on Gun Broker sold for $1,746.51. I thought everyone was a little low on their estimate. Take care, bsa.
Funny JB, my 1955 300 H&H is set up exactly as yours(same scope, pad & mounts) and weighs in at 8 5/8 lbs, a nice weight for such a rig. Perhaps they have the same father???
JB

Don't think I have ever been in a camp where a .300H&H was being used. Probably says more about my experience than anything, but if one wanted to use old school cool the .300H&H ranks high on the list, and those old time Wimbledon shooters proved they where no slouch in the accuracy department.
Thanks, all. If I could get somewhere along the lines of the upper end of the guesstimates, I'd probably trip it. Otherwise, it'll just continue to collect dust.
Rifles weren't meant to collect dust. That's a classic, and NEEDS to be shot.
Even though it's worth some pretty good money you'll end up regretting it if you sell it. Not everyone is lucky enough to inherit a rifle like that. It's a classic in a classic caliber. Keep it and shoot it.
Awesome rifle!
I agree 100% with The Shootist and orion03. Both of them are spot on word for word.
Unless one is in dire need for funds, I'd not sell it. They don't make them anymore, and it will likely not decrease in value.

If money ran the world, I'd buy before season and sell afterwards. I have many safe queens, and they will all be kept. In my book, you have a family treasure there and grandpa would be proud to see it stay there.
Originally Posted by orion03
Even though it's worth some pretty good money you'll end up regretting it if you sell it. Not everyone is lucky enough to inherit a rifle like that. It's a classic in a classic caliber. Keep it and shoot it.

Spot on, keep it or you will end up regretting it. We all know how it feels to be kicking ourselves after all is said and done.
wonderful rifle, and I would agree that the over/under in that condition is around $1500, and I'd give that for it if I was looking for one right now.
What I did with mine, is I bought a beatup stock to save the pristine original. Refinshed it and added a Linbsaver to get the LOP back. Glass bedded and now it is ready to use and hunt. It is accurate. Even with the 55 year old Silvertips it shoots right around 1" at 100 yards, better with handloads. Have not hunted it yet but will if the opportunity presents itself. The 26" barrel is not the best in the deep woods where I usually hunt. To me this is a keeper to be passed down even if it spends most of the time in the safe.
well, if it were passed to me i'd either decide to hunt with it or give it to someone special. if i didn't want to hunt it, and didn't have someone i wanted to pass it on to, i'd sell it. no safe queens for me. i'll take money toward a memorable hunt, or some piece of equipment i really need every time.

to me, the value of a rifle, etc. as far as family is concerned, is in the previous use of said rifle. a gun that belonged to dad, but sat in a closet and was never used, has no value. however, one that dad dragged all over 10 states hunting quail, and has the scars to prove it, well, therein lies the value to family.

good luck in your decision.
Think about all the threads about rifles you wish you'd never sold? That one will be the one you talk about if you decide to sell it.

The money it's worth is easier to come by in the future than another one just like it even without family history.

I'd like to have it myself but recommend that you don't sell it................DJ
Originally Posted by handwerk
Funny JB, my 1955 300 H&H is set up exactly as yours(same scope, pad & mounts) and weighs in at 8 5/8 lbs, a nice weight for such a rig. Perhaps they have the same father???

Mine was too heavy, it now sits in a Brown Precision stock, with talley one piece base/rings and is much better. Oh, I had it Cerakoted too! Heresy, I know, but I shoot stuff, not collect it!
Dennis, lucky me, I have another one, rebarreled with a ss #2 lilja, in a MCM legend stock, talleys lwts and a swaro scope, it weighs 7lbs. 10 oz. ..its nice having one of each!
Also, hotsoup and DJ, you both bring up great points, as my kids are in line to get my guns, so true the real value comes from the memories made with said rifles.
Originally Posted by handwerk
I have another one, rebarreled with a ss #2 lilja, in a MCM legend stock, talleys lwts and a swaro scope, it weighs 7lbs. 10 oz. ..its nice having one of each!

I got to fondle that one - it's SWEET!
There is something to be said for how slick that H&H case chambers!
© 24hourcampfire