Home
Lets see some pics of the best rifle caliber out there!!

Kimber .260
THE go-to meat gun in our house.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My Browning Low Wall .260

John
I'll play grin

Surgeon action, Krieger barrel, AICS stock, NF 5.5-22x50mm in 6.5x47 Lapua

[Linked Image]

Pierce action, Broughton barrel, McMillan Rem Sporter edge filled stock, NF 2.5-10x33mm, also in 6.5x47 Lapua.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rem M700 CDL SF Limited in 260 Rem with VXII 2-7 w/ LR reticle in Talley's. Most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned. About 15 different bullet powder combinations running MOA and better. I quit looking for more grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Alan
mines a Kimber 260 aswell but mines a Montana

[Linked Image]
6.5-06AI
Interarms Mark X action
24" Krieger 1-8 barrel, 6-flute, semi-heavy
Timney trigger
Boyd stock
Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14xAO w/ Ballilstic Plex reticle

[Linked Image]

Bad photo, but you get the idea....
[Linked Image]
Here is my plane jane Pre-64 M70 264 Win Mag with Talley Lightweights and Minox ZA5 3-15.
[Linked Image]
Nice wood on that rig.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6.5-06 with a couple from last year.
[Linked Image]
Daughter's 260 running 140 accubonds with one of her punched tags.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
260 remington
Ruger flat bolt,action pac-nor 22 in barrel. McMillan stock.

[Linked Image]
S/S 700, 22" Rock 8 twist, McM Classic, Talleys, Leupy, chambered in 260 Rem.

[Linked Image]
Win M70 Ultimate Classic SS/Walnut in 6.5X55.. One of the prettiest rifles I was fortunate enough to have found..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then there's this custom shop M70 .264 Win Mag:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nothin' bettern' fine wood, I always say.. laugh laugh

my three..Rem.,Rem., Ruger
[Linked Image]
Here's my collection.

Remington 700 Classic in 6.5x55

[Linked Image]

Remington model 7 in 260. It's my go to gun. It's never lost a deer and never let me down. I've owned it since they were introduced.

[Linked Image]

I also have a Ruger MKII model 77 in 6.5x55, but I don't have a picture handy.
Got two currently (had another, but I sold it to some guy on the Campfire grin )

Kampfeld 260AI--Remington 700 SA, ADL, Broughton 5.5 contour, McMillan A3, Talley LWs and a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40
[Linked Image]

6.5x55AI--Remington 700 LA, ADL, Douglas No. 2, McMillan KS stock in EDGE fill, Talley LWs and a VX-II 3-9x40 LRD
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here is one of the current projects. Mannlicher Arisaka in 6.5 Jap. Nice little low recoil rifle. I picked this up for my son. Two deer so far with 100 gr. partitions.
dan,
Did you changed the stock on the Classic or did you buy it like that? Don't believe that is a Classic stock. jay
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 Model 70 in .264 Win Mag. Sightron SII Big Sky 3-12x42. I really want a Kimber 84M Classic in 260...really bad.
Redneck, those are some beautiful rifles. I especially like the Ultimate Classic.

My two are a M77 RSI 6.5x55 and a Classic Featherweight 6.5x55.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm kinda fond of Stainless/ Walnut Swedes.
Here is mine:
A Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Classic 6.5x55

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Redneck
Win M70 Ultimate Classic SS/Walnut in 6.5X55.. One of the prettiest rifles I was fortunate enough to have found..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then there's this custom shop M70 .264 Win Mag:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nothin' bettern' fine wood, I always say.. laugh laugh

Redneck,

PLEASE adopt me, or at least put me in yer will!!!

That Swede is absolutely breath taking!!
6.5 WSM Lilja barrel
[Linked Image]
I rrrreeeeaaaallllyyyy wanted a Ruger 77 RSI in 6.5x55, but I hate Lipsey's so much that I just won't buy any of their special run Rugers.

JEff
This Ruger compact 260 (laminate-stainless, Kick-eez pad, Karsten cheekpiece, bedded, floated, trigger job, lapped rings) with an old Vari X 2.5-8 with mil-dots was supposed to be for the kids, but I really like it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Couple of M7s with a 300SAUM I had

[Linked Image]

My 700
Ti stock with aluminum block, CDI mag system, Nikon monarch 3-9

[Linked Image]
The protruding magazine make your rifle look as though it had been built on an 1891 Argentine Mauser action.

JEff
AICS. Looking into Alpha mags as they are more compact and longer OAL. Alphas require a little work to the feed ramp for the OAL but I don't plan on ever selling the 700.
Redneck - I love the figure on your M70 Ultimate. Beautiful rifle!
Mine aren't near as pretty as some of the other's here or maybe as cool as the Surgeon 6.5x47 lapua in the AICS stock but maybe a little variety won't hurt.

The OD stocked one is the 2nd AR-15 I built and is a 264 LBC - which is variant of a 6.5 Grendel:

[Linked Image]

It doesn't shoot too bad for a semi-auto, these are 5 shot 300yd groups:

[Linked Image]

....................DJ
I have Rem 700 Limited edition 260rem too. I agree with whoever said it was the most accurate out of the box rifle they've owned...wonderful for confidence.

What is it about the 6.5 calibre that you absolutely fall in love with? I would have a gun rack of them if I had the coin.

IDMilton, can you share a bit more about those pics. Bullets used etc. Very impressive stuff.
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Envy is a sin and your causing me to sin. Therefore, in order for me to rid myself of envy and to save your soul I will pm my shipping info. smile
Wow, here's a shocker. Clark98ut pasted pics of rifles I really like. (That would be irony, there) Nice shooters, man!

Originally Posted by clark98ut
Got two currently (had another, but I sold it to some guy on the Campfire grin )

Kampfeld 260AI--Remington 700 SA, ADL, Broughton 5.5 contour, McMillan A3, Talley LWs and a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40
[Linked Image]

6.5x55AI--Remington 700 LA, ADL, Douglas No. 2, McMillan KS stock in EDGE fill, Talley LWs and a VX-II 3-9x40 LRD
[Linked Image]
DJ,

how fast were those 120's being pushed from your LBC?
Originally Posted by jay
dan,
Did you changed the stock on the Classic or did you buy it like that? Don't believe that is a Classic stock. jay

It's a Fajen laminated. I still have the original stock wrapped up nice and safe.
lowbc,

The Speer 120 Hot Cor at about 2750 fps.
1 shot impala at 65 yards.
Blesbuk at over 270. Did a finisher, probable wasn't needed but I had hit it too far forward.
1 shot at the black wildebeast at 288. I have a pic of the exit wound somewhere. Several inches of pink lung blown out.
The kudu was at 350 when I first shot. (Last few minutes of the sixth and last day looking for one.) It was at a really steep up angle and I hit him in the shoulder hump. I didn't see him for a second until he was on the skyline at a little over 400. I shot and cut the back of his neck, then shot again and broke his spine in the hump.
I also have a pic of that bullet somewhere. It was lopsided but held together well for such a big bone. (Makes sense at that slow speed.)
I read Speer was getting rid of that bullet, so I bought 5 more boxes and should be good for awhile!
Originally Posted by GregW
DJ,

2550-2600 depending on which powder.

I've been told a couple other powders might be a little faster.

I'm wanting to try 105's and 140's to compare. So far all I've shot is the 120 and 123's..............................DJ
Originally Posted by KDK
Wow, here's a shocker. Clark98ut pasted pics of rifles I really like. (That would be irony, there) Nice shooters, man!

Thanks KDK! I'll hopefully have some pictures of the 6.5x55AI layed up next to a dead critter here soon. I was hoping to make it down to South Texas for the last weekend of doe season, but looks like that isn't going to happen, and it might have to be some other 4-legged critter that gets to test the 120gr TTSXs.
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by GregW
DJ,

2550-2600 depending on which powder.

I've been told a couple other powders might be a little faster.

I'm wanting to try 105's and 140's to compare. So far all I've shot is the 120 and 123's..............................DJ

Can you say efficient?

Thanks for that...
6.5 WSM built on Winchester 70 Super Grade

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Doug~RR
Beautiful rig. What kind of speeds you getting with 140s?

Swede. (please excuse the demon eyes, I was possessed)

[Linked Image]
SWEET!!!
Originally Posted by moosemuncher
Beautiful rig. What kind of speeds you getting with 140s?

MM, I am shooting 130s around 3250fps. I have not tried any 140 grainers.
santeerangerman;
Thanks for the .264" thread. Who'd have thought it was such a popular bore size?

This is the 1903 vintage 96 Swede that I modified back in the mid '80's for my father. I cut down the barrel to 20", bedded it, made a fore end cap, reshaped the stock and checkered it, welded on a new bolt handle, installed a Mk II safety and finally installed a Dayton Traister cock on open kit and trigger.
[Linked Image]

He used it for many years and then passed it back to me before he died, saying that he hoped one of his grand kids might put it to some use.

As it's turned out, our eldest daughter claimed it as her own and has indeed been putting it to very good use. This is the last deer she's shot with it, her best mule deer thus far.
[Linked Image]

Thanks to all who've posted their rifles, I've enjoyed looking at them all.

Regards,
Dwayne
[Linked Image]
6.5x06 tube gun.Use it for hunting anytime Im in open country.
My most accurate rifle
.260 Remington Moutain Rifle

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
6.5 WSM built on Winchester 70 Super Grade

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Doug~RR

Rabbit,

that is one fine, and gorgeous rifle!!
Long live that 6.5's :-)
clark98ut,

Sent you a pm.

forepaw
My 2 Tikka T3's in 6.5x55, one with Wild Dog carbon fiber stock and the other with Tarjac Nuskin camo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The top one is a Mod Seven with a swapped in Rem 260 Mountain rifle barrel. Only paper work so far but all good.
[Linked Image]
Set it up with a VX3 4.5-14.
[Linked Image]

cant do pics thing but have rem 700 ti from when they first came out. shoots good as long as i keep the barrel C L E A N ! otherwise just so-so. a few deer and 5 or 6 hogs. nosler factory loads, 120bt and 125 part.
Redneck,
Sweet rifles particularly your Win M70 Ultimate Classic SS/Walnut in 6.5X55. My goal is to own one like that some day.
Glad there are many 6.5 mm fans on the forum.
My First camo attmept ever. Stainless 260 A-bolt, Bell and Carlson Medalist, Leupold M8 with custom #4 reticle from premier with handloaded 140 Sierra gameking exit wound.
[Linked Image]
Hunting .260 Rem

Started as SPS .243 Win, rebarreled with a factory .260 Rem Mtn barrel. Beadblasted the whole thing to match the finish. Glass bedded in a Ti take off.

[Linked Image]

Long Range Target .260 Rem

[Linked Image]
Here are the other 6.5x55 guns in residence at my house.

My model 38 Husky

[Linked Image]

my Ruger 77MKII

[Linked Image]
What twist would you 6.5 'ers recommend for 140's? 8 or 9?
1:8". Although it really depends on the length, not the weight.
Originally Posted by 358Thumper
What twist would you 6.5 'ers recommend for 140's? 8 or 9?

I went with 8. Shoots the 130 Scirocco and 140 A-Max just fine.
CH,

Have you used the 140 A-Max on deer? My Tikka (1:8) really groups well with the 140 Berger hunting VLD's and I've been impressed with the performance on Deer. I know a guide who swears by the 162gr A-Max in 7x57.
I've used the 6.5 (6.5-06)140 Amax's on antelope at 420 yards. The wind was howling and my shot was off a bit and I center punched the guts on both shots *but the bullet holes were only 2 inches apart* ;o). Both bullets went in a couple of inches and exploded. I got the buck, but the results were dismal at best. I have had the best luck with 120 grain Sierra flat bases and 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. My favorite for big game is the 140 grain Hornady flat base. That bullet flat out exits and gets stuff done. Flinch
Personally, I've never seen the need for the 140s. I don't chase Moose or Elk and I don't know anything under 400pounds that would survive a good 129 Hornady or 130 Accubond thru their body from any angle.
Where are you guys finding those Remington 700 CDL SF in 260? I want one real bad!!!!!

coyoteman23
6.5x55 M38 Turk
26" 1:8
Vortex 4-12x40 Viper (not in pic)
Soon to have Timney Trigger and M70 Style safety

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by MCT3
CH,

Have you used the 140 A-Max on deer? My Tikka (1:8) really groups well with the 140 Berger hunting VLD's and I've been impressed with the performance on Deer. I know a guide who swears by the 162gr A-Max in 7x57.

No, but, but the 140g A-MAX work great on clay pigeons at 600 yards - even with the fire-form loads. For hunting I tend to build elk loads and use them for everything. So far I have only taken one antelope with the 6.5-06AI, using a 130g Scirocco.

Originally Posted by coyoteman23
Where are you guys finding those Remington 700 CDL SF in 260? I want one real bad!!!!!

coyoteman23

There's 1 LTD on Gunbroker now. Alittle pricey for my blood but really nice.... for that price I'm buying a Montana and rebarreling instead of getting the CDL SF LTD and an Edge.

[Linked Image]
Steyr-Mannlicher .260 remmy. Have the same rifle in a blued 6.5x55.

[Linked Image]
Kimber Mod 84M .260

[Linked Image]
Atkinson Custom 6.5x55 built on a VZ24 Mauser

[Linked Image]
Sold this VZ24 custom in 6.5x55 a few months ago and regret it every time I see this pic.:rolleyes:
Can't believe there aren't more of this caliber - 6.5x284
Sako A-III
25" Lilja #2
Unknown aftermarket stock!
Undecided - Minox 3-15 BDC or Kahles 3-9 MZ - one of these will come out of the safe and be mounted on this.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

Nice paint job!

Dober

coyoteman23

There's 1 LTD on Gunbroker now. Alittle pricey for my blood but really nice.... for that price I'm buying a Montana and rebarreling instead of getting the CDL SF LTD and an Edge.

I did see that one for sell on GB but with 6 days left and 24 bids and its already up to $856 its a little to rich for my blood also. I guess I will just have to keep an eye open for a good deal. I have a Remington 700 action sitting in the safe unused. I guess I could just have custom build done in .260.

coyoteman23
OK, guys--I have a chance to buy a VERY nice .260 rem--go for it? Full blown custom for $900..seen groups--shoots EXCELLENT.

My question is--if I buy it, down the road if I want to AI it..or get more performance out of that "caliber"(6.5) what can I do? By AI'ing it..will it kill accuracy? How about if I turn in into a 6.5 wsm..will that work, or will more work then it's worth have to be done??

Thanks for your time,

B8
Why fix what ain't broke?? Any gains you get from AI'ing the rifle will be pretty insignificant. That includes velocity, accuracy, or how many times you have to trim your brass.
If you're just interested in something you can keep jimming with, get one of those Savages. smile
I suppose you're right...as for the savages--i'll pass for another day..grin.

B8
a model 7 in 260 coming soon.
[Linked Image]

coyoteman23

I did see that one for sell on GB but with 6 days left and 24 bids and its already up to $856 its a little to rich for my blood also. I guess I will just have to keep an eye open for a good deal. I have a Remington 700 action sitting in the safe unused. I guess I could just have custom build done in .260.

coyoteman23

Go for it you have the action already!
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Kimber Mod 84M .260

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sold this VZ24 custom in 6.5x55 a few months ago and regret it every time I see this pic.:rolleyes:
OrangeOkie- tell me between the two do you prefer the Steyr or the Kimber?
Here is mine, it's a Tikka T3 hunter in 6.5x55.

[Linked Image]

I had always turned my nose up at these being a Sako guy, but this gun is hard not to love, here it the best group but the first 10 5 shot groups with two different powders and different loads were all under an inch.

[Linked Image]
martinbns,

Nice group. What projectile were you shooting?
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Kimber Mod 84M .260

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
OrangeOkie- tell me between the two do you prefer the Steyr or the Kimber?

I like them both equally. They both have their qualities. The Kimber is lighter, has the mauser style action, and the classic lines. The Steyr-Mannlichers are both extremely accurate and have a very solid feeling action and lock up. The walnut stocks are very rare and quite handsome. I love them both.
martinbns,

Thanks

Those groups were Hornady 129 gr spirepoints, worked great on a couple of deer later in the year as well.
[Linked Image]
Remington 721 in 264WM, 30" Shilen barrel and Nikon 6-18 Buckmaster with BDC
Here is mine: Sako 85 Laminated Stainless Steel 260 rem. with fluted barrel and Zeiss Victory 6-24x56
sorry for the bad quality of the pics they are from my cell phone.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by martinbns
martinbns,

Thanks

Those groups were Hornady 129 gr spirepoints, worked great on a couple of deer later in the year as well.

Those 129 Hornady SP are my bullet of choice in the 260 too. I think they are about the perfect bullet for the 260 or 6.5x55. Accurate, tough, and don't cost a fortune to buy.
can anyone comment on going 260 Rem 8 twist would there be any benefit to a 3 groove vs. a 6 groove? Going to order a Lilja 84M contour and rebarrel a Montana.
[Linked Image]

My old 1966 M700 that started life as a .270 WCF.

This is my 'custom-on-the-cheap' rifle. Douglas XX air-gauged #4 with 1-8" twist in 6.5-284. Boyd's stock I bedded myself. This was to have the Vortex Viper PST on it but after 4 months and counting I got tired of waiting and it needed a scope for speed goat season.

Super accurate and fun to shoot. My only regret is not putting a 28" tube on it. I went with 24" to make it a little more handy in case I took it elk hunting but now I have better rifles/calibers for that so this one is relegated to 'lopes, varmints and long range plinking.
© 24hourcampfire