Home
Posted By: 47stalker SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/10/11
Gents,

I'm looking to get either: Featherweight or Extreme Weather in 300WSM or 325WSM.
I have shouldered both, both feel sweet! But as weight is always a consideration..........

My questions:

Are the weights listed on the Winchester website correct, or just made up/close enough figures?
Which is lighter?

Thanks in advance, 340.
PS- Also like to get your 'general' thoughts regarding the new SC Model 70 wink
They recently updated their weights to be more real world correct. From what I've seen, they are now pretty close to actual weight. You can go to their website and check them:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/
There's been much talk of the new rifles. Most is damn good except the consensus is the triggers have much to be desired, unless you like the browning box (enclosed) type trigger. Accuracy seems to be very good and fit and finish is great, they are very nice for the money in my opinion. As far as weight is concerned, they are so damn close it may not even be a consideration for one over the other. More or less, which ever one fits the best would be the winner. I'd personally opt for the EW, unless you happen to find a nice fwt for a price you can't pass up grin
The Featherweight is actually not all that light -- at least not by contemporary standards. The calibers you mention are both listed at around 7 lbs., which is the same listed weight for the EW, if I recall correctly.

That may be one reason they're rolling out the new Featherweight Compact, which has 20-in. barrels and a catalogue weight of 6 1/2 lbs, but I think it's only offered in 22-250, 243, 7mm-08 and 308.
Posted By: SLM Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/10/11
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
There's been much talk of the new rifles. Most is damn good except the consensus is the triggers have much to be desired, unless you like the browning box (enclosed) type trigger. Accuracy seems to be very good and fit and finish is great, they are very nice for the money in my opinion. As far as weight is concerned, they are so damn close it may not even be a consideration for one over the other. More or less, which ever one fits the best would be the winner. I'd personally opt for the EW, unless you happen to find a nice fwt for a price you can't pass up grin

How are you getting along with the FW?
Posted By: CCH Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/10/11
The new posted weights are closer to reality, but still 3 ounces less than what I found for the short action EW and FW I weighed. Kind of a BS move by Winchester to have such bogus weights out in the first place.

If weight is a real consideration, the FW offers you the opportunity for a lighter package with a new stock. The EW has at least a 1/4 pound more metal depending on caliber (5 ounces in the ones I checked).
Originally Posted by SLM

How are you getting along with the FW?

I was wondering if you'd see that grin. I love it as a matter of fact. This is what I mean by a deal coming your way and not buying the EW. SLM gave me an excellent deal on a 308 fwt SC model 70 and it is an excellent rifle. Thanks again SLM. I really appreciate it grin
Posted By: SLM Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/10/11
Glad you like it.
Posted By: deg967 Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/10/11
EW ?
EW is Extreme Weather model 70 for short.
Posted By: Shag Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/10/11
My 270 EW with talley lows and a Leupold 6x36 weights 8pds.
Posted By: ehunter Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/10/11
I don't have a scale so I am wondering if you know what your BC stock weighed? I called them and the BC stock weighs in 1.85 lbs.
Originally Posted by ehunter
I don't have a scale so I am wondering if you know what your BC stock weighed? I called them and the BC stock weighs in 1.85 lbs.

I heard that figure too eek

Thinking B&C light/strong stock might be in order. What do these weigh. Thoughts on the B&C as an aftermarket M70 stock?
I saw one on the Browning Ti, I liked it.

Posted By: ehunter Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/10/11
Other than weight I think they are fine stock I have not heard of that stock before they do make a TI type stock for Remingtons but have not seen one like that for a winchester.
Originally Posted by ehunter
Other than weight I think they are fine stock I have not heard of that stock before they do make a TI type stock for Remingtons but have not seen one like that for a winchester.

I agree. It feels extremely sturdy & tough! I'm just a lightweight rifle slut with a passion for CRF Model 70's wink
Posted By: JMR40 Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/11/11
The 308 EW I bought was 4 oz heavier than advertised. Have no idea about other calibers. Most of the excess weight is in the stock. Mine was 30oz. I know B&C claims they are lighter, but not by my scales. Dumped mine and replaced it with an Edge and the rifle lost 7 oz and is much more trim through the grip and fore end.

Final weight 7 lbs 5 oz with a Leupold 2.5-8x in Talley lightweight rings.
The web site says a Featherweight 30-06 will weigh 7 lbs. Add a scope and rings and a magazine full of shells and it will be well over 8 lbs. Hardly what I would call a "Featherweight"!

Back around 1980 or 1982 I had a Featherweight in .270 Win. Pulled the stock and substituted a Brown Precision stock. Then it became a featherweight. As a matter of fact I still have the Brown stock. Maybe I should look around for a Featherweight to put it on.

Jim
Posted By: PeaEye Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/11/11
My 7mm08 FW is right at 8 lbs with ultralight mounts and a 2-7 Leupold. Perfect weight, heavy enough to be steady, though the balance is a little farther back than I prefer.
Posted By: Shag Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/11/11
Dose 28-29oz sound about right?? About 6-7 ozs heavier than an Edge and I think they are around 22-23oz.
Posted By: ehunter Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/11/11
I think your right about 7-8 ounces lighter so mine with edge should weight around 7 1/2 to 7 3/4 lbs. Now I have to find a scale. I am curious it feels fine in the hand so I am not complaining about the weight only curious.
Posted By: Shag Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/11/11
I fully expect my 270 to come in right at 7.5pds with a swap. smile
Posted By: ehunter Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/11/11
I really like the Edge stock on the gun if you go that way I am sure you will too.

What loads are you shooting in your 270 mine is the std 130 partion at 60 H4831
Posted By: JMR40 Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/12/11
It's hard to justify another $500 for a stock on a rifle you've already spent close to $1,000 on, but it really made a huge difference on mine.

It's not just the 7 oz. or so in weight reduction, the whole rifle just feels and balances better. The Edge is much trimmer. I actually found a used Edge Classic made for a Featherweight and I opened up the barrel channel to make it fit the EW. I bought the rifle used as well so I don't have as much in it as you would think.

It turned a good rifle into a great rifle.
Posted By: Shag Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/12/11
Right now 53.5gr Hunter and a 150NP!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/12/11
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
The web site says a Featherweight 30-06 will weigh 7 lbs. Add a scope and rings and a magazine full of shells and it will be well over 8 lbs. Hardly what I would call a "Featherweight"!

Back around 1980 or 1982 I had a Featherweight in .270 Win. Pulled the stock and substituted a Brown Precision stock. Then it became a featherweight. As a matter of fact I still have the Brown stock. Maybe I should look around for a Featherweight to put it on.

Jim

Still have mine from the 80's.It's on its second barrel and weighs 6.9 with the Brown Pound'r and scope on board.
Posted By: DMB Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/12/11
FWIW,

My M-70 Std Featherweight in 7-08 weighs 6 3/4 pounds w/o scope or mounts.
Posted By: ehunter Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/13/11
I guess that I can justify it because I have a great rifle that feels and shoots like a custom for less that a cheap custom. I am very happy with the combo. grin

It's hard to justify another $500 for a stock on a rifle you've already spent close to $1,000 on, but it really made a huge difference on mine.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/13/11
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did it. But spending another $500 was not a decision I took lightly. In fact If I hadn't stumbled onto a used stock I still might be using the factory stock.

I bought the rifle used, the stock used, and sold a handgun for $300 more than I paid for it to get into the rifle. After selling the take-off stock I actually have right at $800 in both the rifle and stock.

There are a lot of guys out there who would like to buy an Edge stock for their rifles, but struggle with justifying the expense. The point I was trying to make is that it is worth the expense. Maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been.
Posted By: ehunter Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/13/11
You did very well JMR40 that is great deal. I agree I thought about it long and hard but am glad I did.
I bought an M70 Extreme Weather in 300 WSM several weeks back. I pulled it out today to tweak things and weigh everything. Here are the weights of the components:

Complete with Talleys and 3-9 Vari-X II: 7lbs 13.7oz
EW stock (Bell/Carlson): 30.3 oz
Action with Leupie: 5lb 15.4oz

I didn't weigh the action before I mounted the scope but know that Talleys weigh 2.3oz, and a 3-9 Vari-X II Leupie weighs 11.6, making the complete action alone about 5lbs 1oz.

I adjusted the trigger to 3 lbs. It took longer to get the epoxy off than the adjustment. 1 counterclockwise turn and it was done. Zero creep and didn't touch the overtravel at all. Easiest trigger I ever adjusted.

I also sanded the left side of the barrel channel a bit just to make it more aesthetically pleasing. It would pass a doubled over dollar bill but I could see a difference in the barrel-stock gap and "fixed" it in 5 minutes.

I'm also likely to shorten the LOP to 13.5" from the factory 13.75".

I like the way it handles, feels, and cycles shells. It does need a few hundred run through before I pass total judgement but having several other Classic M70's, I'm confident it will perform and smooth out as the rest have.

The rifle comes bedded and appears to be an adequate job. I personally bed the first 2-3 inches of barrel and they only put a pad under the barrel. I may skim bed it but will shoot it first before I do anything else.

For $800-900, they are a very nice rifle. I may put a McEdge on it but want to shoot it a bit. I had a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM and can tell you at 7lbs all up, it wasn't that fun to shoot off the bench. But then again, I may be a wimp.

I'm loading shells this PM and hope to shoot it next weekend, work and weather permitting. Will report back on what I find.

Buy one, you'll like it.
Originally Posted by bwinters
I bought an M70 Extreme Weather in 300 WSM several weeks back. I pulled it out today to tweak things and weigh everything. Here are the weights of the components:

I didn't weigh the action before I mounted the scope but know that Talleys weigh 2.3oz, and a 3-9 Vari-X II Leupie weighs 11.6, making the complete action alone about 5lbs 1oz.

I adjusted the trigger to 3 lbs. It took longer to get the epoxy off than the adjustment. 1 counterclockwise turn and it was done. Zero creep and didn't touch the overtravel at all. Easiest trigger I ever adjusted.

I also sanded the left side of the barrel channel a bit just to make it more aesthetically pleasing. It would pass a doubled over dollar bill but I could see a difference in the barrel-stock gap and "fixed" it in 5 minutes.

I like the way it handles, feels, and cycles shells. It does need a few hundred run through before I pass total judgement but having several other Classic M70's, I'm confident it will perform and smooth out as the rest have.

The rifle comes bedded and appears to be an adequate job. I personally bed the first 2-3 inches of barrel and they only put a pad under the barrel. I may skim bed it but will shoot it first before I do anything else.

For $800-900, they are a very nice rifle. I may put a McEdge on it but want to shoot it a bit. I had a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM and can tell you at 7lbs all up, it wasn't that fun to shoot off the bench. But then again, I may be a wimp.

I'm loading shells this PM and hope to shoot it next weekend, work and weather permitting. Will report back on what I find.

Buy one, you'll like it.

bwinters, thanks for the great post. I hope I'm not going off subject here, but I'm very interested in how that rifle does at the range. After you've shot it a bit, start a new thread on how it does at the range with pics of targets, recoil compared to others, moa trigger, etc. Thanks.
Originally Posted by bwinters

Buy one, you'll like it.

bwinters, thanks for the great post. I hope I'm not going off subject here, but I'm very interested in how that rifle does at the range. After you've shot it a bit, start a new thread on how it does at the range with pics of targets, recoil compared to others, moa trigger, etc. Thanks.

DITTO, many thanks wink

Certainly is an outstanding rifle from what I can see so far.
bsa, 340 - no problem.

If you guys want any more info, pics of things, or anything else, let me know. I picked a few brains before I jumped in, glad to return the favor.

Loaded up 40, 180 Hornady SP over 63 and 64 grains IMR 4350. This load has shot fairly well in my other 2 300 WSM's. Suspect they'll get 2850 - 2925 and 1 to 1.25" groups. We'll see.
Good to hear your report. I'll bet you'll get your 1" groups, or better. If UPS ever gets my Leupie here, I will have a clone of your rifle. I got mine a couple of months ago and previously had a Tasco 6-24 mounted to try it with some of my wimpie loads (125 gr Sierra Prohunter pushed by 51 grains of H4895). I haven't shot much in awhile, so I'm kinda shaky. Two groups - 1.2 and 1.4, but a friend with me shot 0.8. This is not a load I have any previous experience with, it just seemed to be about what I wanted velocity wise, for a soft shooting load that would still shoot pretty flat and have adequate punch for whitetails and hogs.
https://www.wholesalehunter.com/productlist.asp?subcategory=FIRI&q=M%5FUSRE

If anybody is looking for a an EW in a WSM, here's a good price, especially if you want a 270 wsm. I'm not connected with them, but that is where I got mine, $759 at the time.
Posted By: mlg Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/14/11
I looked at an EW this morning in 325wsm that I was all set to buy. That was until I inspected the crown. It had a blunt spot on it - almost like it had been hit - but I am sure this was the way it had been finished.

I have a 308 EW and I am very pleased with it. I was therefore very disappointed to see a rifle with such a noticeable blemish on it.

Something worth considering Gents before you spend your hard earned cash....
Posted By: btb375 Re: SC Model 70 'real weight'? - 02/14/11
Just bought an SC Featherweight in 30-06.
Mounted a Leupold 3.5-10 x40 in Talley lites.
Weighs 7lb, 6 oz on my digital scale.
Will bring it to work and weigh it on our postal scale to verify.
© 24hourcampfire