Home
I have never owned a Kimber. Actually, I did own a synethetic 8400 once but never shot it - anyway, I was out shooting my .264 Win mag yesterday and came to the realization that I want a lighter, more nimble rifle. I have been thinking I might try a Kimber 84m. I prefer wood and so I would probably not choose the Montana. How do you guys like your 84m as a pure deer/antelope rifle? I see they no longer are made in .260 - was there some problems with that caliber? Would you buy a used one? I seee lots of them for sale with rings and bases and am hesitant for fear I might be getting a turd. Anybody have one in .308, and if so, how's the recoil in such a light rifle? Please let me know what you think of them. They sure seem attractive with their smaller dimensions and weight.

Thanks!
Both of my 84M's in 257 Roberts are great, accurate guns. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that one!
257 gets my vote! I thnk they had problems with the 260 but I only think I heard that.
I know what you mean about the 264's. I lug one around once in a while but not far from the car. Most big game hunting is carrying stuff and dealing with the weather while we hope to finally see something. Sometimes the rifle is the thing we use the least. Thus a light one!

I have an early 84M Classic here in 7-08. Its a handsome rifle. Shooting it gives light recoil. Same light recoil, to me, with the 308 Montana.

The function of their safeties and actions are better on my newer ones. Get a new one.

These little Kimbers are so neat. Practice with it and they are a rifle to hold close.

Unless you know a dealer that has one, you'll be waiting awhile. I just tried to order a .257 Roberts in a Montana today and it will be around 90 days.
There are 18 84M Classics for sale on Gun Broker that you could order today. Suppose there are some on the other online sites as well.

84M
Thanks.
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Anybody have one in .308, and if so, how's the recoil in such a light rifle? Thanks!

I have a Montana in 308 and find it easy to shoot, recoil is not excessive, and I am not a fan of heavy recoil rifles. Can't comment on how recoil would compare in the timber stock.
I've got a Classic Select and a Montana in 257 Roberts and highly recommend them. I had planned to order one in 260, but they had stopped production of them. While waiting for the first 257 I came across a older 2 position safety Classic in 260 and bought it too. Figured if the 257s didn't work out I had the 260 for backup. So far the 260 is out-shooting the 257s and all three of them are staying.
I have been thinking I might try a Kimber 84m. I prefer wood and so I would probably not choose the Montana. How do you guys like your 84m as a pure deer/antelope rifle?

I have a Classic Select in 257 Roberts, and it's the perfect antelope rifle IMHO.
Light, accurate and just a fun rifle to take hunting.
I've had zero issues with the rifle but that's just my sample of one. Some guys love 'em, some guys hate 'em.

Took it for a walk last week.
[Linked Image]

No matter which caliber you choose, you'll be happy with it. My sentimental favorite is 257.......but to each his own.

I'm VERY happy with my 257 montana. I just bought an 8400 montana 30-06 and I guess I'll see if I like that one as well.

My 84M is the older, two position safty in 7-08 and it is a joy to hunt with.
The '08 or the .257. whistle
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I have been thinking I might try a Kimber 84m. I prefer wood and so I would probably not choose the Montana. How do you guys like your 84m as a pure deer/antelope rifle?

I have a Classic Select in 257 Roberts, and it's the perfect antelope rifle IMHO.
Light, accurate and just a fun rifle to take hunting.
I've had zero issues with the rifle but that's just my sample of one. Some guys love 'em, some guys hate 'em.

Took it for a walk last week.
[Linked Image]

You put your left foot in, you take your left foot out.......BTW, not having worn such accouterments are they on bakerds?
No, he's sober. I have to use em sometime to get the mail. Carry a Kimber too, you never know when a yote will show up.
Sling up a Kimber to check the mail, man wish I could do that.
Originally Posted by Grunter
Anybody have one in .308, and if so, how's the recoil in such a light rifle? Thanks!

I have a Montana in 308 and find it easy to shoot, recoil is not excessive, and I am not a fan of heavy recoil rifles. Can't comment on how recoil would compare in the timber stock.

I've got a wood stocked 84m in .308. Recoil is not bad at all. One of my favorite guns. I keep saying I'm going to get one in .257 Roberts, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I sure would love to get a .257 Bob someday (just has to wait 'till after the Super Thirty and 9.3!) and the Kimber would certainly be high on my list. I have a newer 84M in 7-08 and it is the cat's ass. A 162 A-Max at about 2750 should do quite nicely for the goats (and they're very accurate in mine). IMO, if it's deer and 'lopes you're after stick with the 7-08 or the Bob--but that's just me. Can't go wrong with either.
I have an 84M in .260 - Once you have one in your hands you are going to want another. I couldn't resist and picked up an Mod 82 in .22 WRM

[Linked Image]
"Thinking of a Kimber 84m in 257, 7mm-08 or 308"

I'd say that's a good thought!

Can't go too wrong - just depends on what you can find, but the 308's seem to be the most consistent of the lot in recent production.

DJ
I have a Kimber 84M Clasic Select in .260 Remington in like new condition that I bought new a few years ago that is just too pretty for me to hunt with.It has been fired about 40 times at the range,is accurate and has no issues that I experienced in that limited shooting time.If you are interested shoot me a pm,I am willing to part with it.I take it out of the box every deer season but I just can't bring myself to take it into the woods.
Thanks,
Bob
Mine is a classic in 7mm08, love it no issues or problems at all, shoots 3/4" with 140 BTs or 139 Hornadys
I think I would go with the 7mm-08

But thats just me. Never owned one but its on my short list
I have never owned a Kimber. Actually, I did own a synethetic 8400 once but never shot it - anyway, I was out shooting my .264 Win mag yesterday and came to the realization that I want a lighter, more nimble rifle. I have been thinking I might try a Kimber 84m. I prefer wood and so I would probably not choose the Montana. How do you guys like your 84m as a pure deer/antelope rifle? I see they no longer are made in .260 - was there some problems with that caliber? Would you buy a used one? I seee lots of them for sale with rings and bases and am hesitant for fear I might be getting a turd. Anybody have one in .308, and if so, how's the recoil in such a light rifle? Please let me know what you think of them. They sure seem attractive with their smaller dimensions and weight.

Thanks!

Light barrels don't shoot.

Everyone knows that............
i have a montana in .308. you will not believe how light it is the first time you pick it up.

i KNEW it weighed 5lb 6ozs, but it didn't prepare me for how light it actually feels.
They kick hard too,because they are light.

Plus they rust.................
I will sell you mine, it one that been wrapped around a tree.
Quit teasin'...that's mean...............
Since my kids won't let me shoot any deer any more, I was shooting a few flavors at steel the past few days, despite enough wind to fly a lead kite...

Enjoyed the Sako 75 clad in the Classic Edge...even though it's a 308...grin.

The Faux Ti's in 243 and 7-08 were solid as a rock and consistent as always...

But nothing quite hangs with the Montanas. The 7-08 was stellar as always. Dug out an old box of 140 CL's (first time to try them in this rifle), and it shot them sub moa despite the howling wind.

I spent a lot of the afternoon trick shooting with the Montucky 223. Silly thing shoots 55 Ultramax SP's into bug holes, but variable wind is a little humbling...Was big fun trying to dope it from any appreciable distance, so I got a lot more 100-200 yard offhand/field position practice than I'd planned.

The more challenging conditions actually distinguished the Kimbers even further from the rest of the pack. The 84M's just work...

A big hay field with a little lead and steel is not a bad place to spend an afternoon...grin.

DJ
I can like a Montucky purty good,from the hindlegs....................
I shoot them better offhand than anything else, it seems.

Good fit, good trigger and balance seem to factor in more than weight, for the most part, IME.

You ever do a "Hindlegs Shooting 101" thread?

Interested in your technique, if you care to share it.

DJ
Confirm range,dope erector,slap trigger...return erector to zero and whoop out the knife.

My "technique" is lotsa spent primers....................(grin)
No substitute for spent primers...grin.

If I'm doping erectors, he better be a good sized critter if I'm going to bust him offhand!

I'd better go spend some more primers...grin.

DJ
I've long believed there's a correlation to the more one actually practices,that the "luckier" they get.

Montucky ergo's,balance and trigger shape/quality...make alotta schit rather easy on the average................

I have a Kimber Classic Select in 257 Roberts.

It is a fine little rifle that I highly reccomend.

I owned a couple of very early producion Kimber 84Ms that had issues with feeding and accuracy,but if my current rifle is any indication Kimber has their act together now.
Here's one more vote for the Kimber in 257 Robts. I can find no fault with my Montana. I can work it hard in the brush worse than I am willing to handle and nothing bothers it. I baby my pretty wood-stocked rifles too much. It is fun to take the Montana anywhere and not have to worry about it. A sweet shooter!
They need pampered.................

[Linked Image]
the 308 Kimber montana and the .257 Kimber select classic are my two favorites. If I had to choose I would pick the .308 montana all day and twice on Sunday.
© 24hourcampfire