Home
Got some starlings that moved in and won't leave. Want to start blasting them. Used to run a Daisy 880 as a kid, but it wore out after thousands of rounds.

Now I see these new fancy one cock rifles, that are pushing 1000fps+. Are they worth it, or just grab another 880?

PS, any real advantage to a 22 cal airgun?

Thanks.
Still an RWS Slut here................
RWS model 34. .22 caliber kills good but I am not sure there is any advantage over the .177 on birds.

Dink
Still cain't hate speed. If a .177 is "lacking",I've already long been in CB Cap or similar Mode.....................
S&W 77A.

The most fun pellet rifle that I've ever owned.

JEff
sheridan blue streak was my critter gitter when i lived in town. 10 pumps kills rabbits, groundhogs, birds, etc. nowadays its a rem 7615 223.
Just buy one that is accurate. I liked my Benjamin. I don't like the spring pistons much because of the sound they make.
The 22 will def kill wabbits, while the 17 is more limited.
I just bought an RWS 34 (my first also) in .177 on the advice of a friend who has had quite a bit of experience with air rifles.

I didn't want to spend a ton on my first one, and I think I made a good decision based on what I see. I just got it and haven't sighted it in yet, but I did fire it and was quite impressed. I think it looks well made, and has nice lines.

It's a springer and takes about 33 lbs of cocking effort..a little stiff to initiate, but I'm hoping that will improve a little with time?
Beeman R7.
Look for an older Benjamin in good shape, plenty fast and accurate.

I had an RWS Diana, powerful but it was louder than a .22
Remember the pellet rifles are a lot like rimfires, in that they often work better with their pet pellet. You might consider buying a sampler pack from Straight Shooters. When I got my S&W 77A back in 2003, I bought a sampler pack and found that the Beeman Kodiak 21.1 grain pellets shot better groups than any other style, while the RWS SuperHPoint 13.9 grain were the fastest.

www.straightshooters.com

JEff
Cool, thanks for all the input so far. Didn't realize the newer ones were loud. Cannot wait to blast some starlings, not to mention the eurasian doves that have moved in...
I wouldn't chase speed but I would get a springer. Sort of like magnum rifles, the tradeoffs in noise and effort to cock the things increase out of proportion to any real benefit gained by extra velocity. If it's rated for 1000-1100 fps, it'll be fine and then some for starlings.
A decent springer is one cock easy and usually pretty consistent on point of aim. My old Benjamin moved poi pretty dramatically with different mounts of pumps. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much more accurate a decent springer is as compared to the Daisy. It's not that Daisy's are bad, it's just that any barrel big enough to shoot BBs and pellets is not going to be as accurate as a choked pellet only barrel.
If you can find a springer that's a little less powerful- say 700-850 fps- it'll be quieter. Gamo makes a rifle now that has a simple suppressor to reduce noise. If I were going to get something new, I'd look hard at that one myself.
22 vs 177- On birds, a .177 will do just fine and it's easier on your birdhouses. On bigger stuff like rats, squirrels or opossums a .22 justs thumps them better.
I've seen a couple of rifle packages on sale lately that come with two barrels- one of each. One was for a Beeman at about $100 for the package.
If money is not an object, the newer compressed air pneumatics are something to look at.
Should be fun to go air-gunning again, haven't done it in a long time. Money isn't an issue, just don't want to drop a few hundred if they aren't worth it.
Gamo sucks. They puke fast/easily and float.

Hint.................
PCP's rule...
I have loaned my Dads' RWS which is very well made and very accurate however, it costs as much as a nice 10/22. If you want a serious air rifle I would suggest a RWS. I have a Gamo .177 which gets the job done but pales in comparison to a RWS when it comes to accuracy and punch. All I needed was a 25-30 yard cottontail killer. It works but nothing fancy. Never tried the PBA ammo either, any guys use this stuff? How does it compare to the old lead pellets for killing power?
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
PCP's rule...

They is the Ultimate and if a guy is looking for that,then that's the route.

If a springer don't do it,I'm in Stealth Mode with 39A launched CB's...............
My Dad bought one of those Ruger air rifles to pop the squirrels and starlings off his feeders. He's moved to the burbs, so he brought it out here for me to sight in for him...dammm that thing was loud!

Couldn't be much quieter than a standard .22lr. .22 shorts are alot quieter and CB's beat 'em by a long shot!
I'm feelin' it...............(grin)
I'd say a Beeman R1 in .177,,, killed many many starlings with one 25 years ago,,, still have the R1 and it still shoots well, has slowed down to 700fps though with age needs a new spring and tune,,, great springer they are. Same thing as the HW/80,, HW makes them all.
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
PCP's rule...

If you can source the air they are the way to go. Expensive but the price of admission is worth it.
[Linked Image]
I don't have airgun input, but did find myself in your shoes a couple of years ago. If you already have a 22LR in your gun case, try out some Aguila Super Colibri for your rifle. These are super quiet and not bad on accuracy. They are primer powered .22 ammo--I like to think of them as turning all my .22's into 'airguns' because I now use them for the same purposes that I wanted the airgun for.

Don't want to take you away from a new gun or from the great advise you will get on the air guns, but thought I would throw my new found trick out there. I now shoot these in the garage at a bullet trap a few times a week.
I've run Anschutz and Steyr. Both preformed very well, but I really liked the Anschutz sights and trigger (was most familiar with them).
I'll take glass on mine and do..............
Can't argue with that, but weren't allowed in the games I was playing at the time. Anschutz sight sets never slowed me down from killing stuff at air gun distances. wink
I was still in Kill Mode and missed any forks in the road,that deviated that constant..............
I tried the whole air rifle deal and ended up back with my Rem 541t and CB longs. Half the noise and much more accurate. Resized and hp with a Waltz die they rock ..
I've a smattering of wares geared expressly for CB's. A trio of 39's,a 69 in short and a 74 Short Krunchenticker...as mainstays.

Can't shake the notion................
I kind of like my Official Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun that I have owned for many years.

It is the Limited Edition '.177 AI model', and is very deadly out to 200 yards.

Great for everything from sparrows to coyotes. cool

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by singleshothunter
If you already have a 22LR in your gun case, try out some Aguila Super Colibri for your rifle. These are super quiet and not bad on accuracy. They are primer powered .22 ammo--I like to think of them as turning all my .22's into 'airguns' because I now use them for the same purposes that I wanted the airgun for.

I would, but I live in town, and the birds are always on my roof/eve. Can't do the .22...
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy
I kind of like my Official Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun that I have owned for many years.

It is the Limited Edition '.177 AI model', and is very deadly out to 200 yards.

Great for everything from sparrows to coyotes. cool

[Linked Image]

Have a RedRyder and a brace of RWS's within reach,as I type,setting next to the sliding glass window that enters the back porch....................
Originally Posted by yukonal
Beeman R7.

While the R7's are wonderfully accurate guns, they are cripplers on birds, not killers. At least that was my experience as a kid. The old benjamin 22 pump was a sure killer, but not as accurate as the R7, and having to pump 10+ times between shots gets old fast.

I'd say in 177 stay subsonic, as the supersonic springers are suprisingly loud. A good springer is a wonderful tool, just keep it properly lubed and get lots of good pellets. I'm partial the 177's because the pellets are cheaper, and the reason for a good springer is to shoot it alot. Few tools are finer for perfecting your shooting ability.

I dunno of beeman quality has slipped, I'd only go with the german offerings, RWS has been making quality air rifles for a long time.
I've owned all kinds, but once I got bit by the RWS models, I can't see going any other direction. Their lifetime warranty is a good one. I had a 36 magnum and wore out two springs in it, which were replaced free. That rifle digested in the neighborhood of 8,000 pellets. I traded it and went to a 48 magnum .177. It is still going strong after many thousands of pellets and NO problems. Extremely accurate as well. I bought a .48 magnum last year in .22. I needed a bit more for the warf rats, racoons and skunks in my hood. That rifle is a hammer. Love it love it love it. Gamo, Crossman, Powerline, Daisy = junk Flinch
RWS got me into Crow Hell and Cat Hell.................(grin)
Me and the kid wreaked havoc on them with the Daisy RR this summer. smile
I didn't want to mention cats, there might be some pusssy lovers lurking here bouts. Flinch
One could only HOPE..............
My RWS 48 in .22 is a hammer.
Which hell is it gonna getcha into?.................
Turtle hell, possum hell, starling hell, rat hell, snake hell, pigeon hell ...
Hell yeah!.....................(grin)
Been in magpie and crow hell for several decades
I'm kinda partial to RWS stuff myself.....Bought this one last spring as it was a deal I couldn't say no to....

Starlings, crows, ditch chickens, etc, well past 100yards are pretty easy.

And, it'll double down and rid your back yard of bigger critters if you happen to be in the right place at the right time.
I'll be honest, I did feel a little undergunned, as usually I shoot coyotes in the yard with my 300ultra so there's less to pick up, but sometimes you gotta use what you have in your hands.

There wasn't any blood initially, I did have to step on him and give him a push with my foot to find where the pellet hit him. And I did give him 2, one to the ticker, and one above his left eye after he stopped spinning in a circle at about 34 yards I think.

[Linked Image]
Recoil stop on them rings/base?

I've sheared a fair number of stop screws...............
Leaning towards an RWS. Which optics? Are the ones that come with them in a package deal complete dog-crap?

thanks.
Better than BSA,but what ain't.

Leupie.............

Springers are a bitch on scopes. I've broke more than a few internals and even lenses.
You can get by with some pretty inexpensive rings as long as they have a recoil stop of some type.
Leupold 3-9x33 EFR where I am at and would of been cheapest in the long run, by a long shot.

Springers and 10/22's will walk through glass.................
Yep. Weaver 3-9x32
[Linked Image]
Leaning towards an RWS.

Solid guns. If you want to add a little refinement to the mix, there's Weihrauch.

Are the ones that come with them in a package deal complete dog-crap?

Yes.
If you go the bbl cock route, be sure you stick with the higher end guns. The cheaper bbl cock guns can be terribly inaccurate due to bbl alingment issues. I prefer a fixed bbl.

For the $, it's hard to beat the old faithful Benjamins. I have an old Benjamin 22cal that still shoots great.

A RWS 48 would be hard to beat if you could swing it.
Crossman 760 AI'd.... wink

Dober
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Got some starlings that moved in and won't leave. Want to start blasting them. Used to run a Daisy 880 as a kid, but it wore out after thousands of rounds.

Now I see these new fancy one cock rifles, that are pushing 1000fps+. Are they worth it, or just grab another 880?

PS, any real advantage to a 22 cal airgun?

Thanks.

I have an older (15 yrs?) 177 Gamo 440 HUnter with an aftermarket trigger, that works pretty well. I dont know about the newer Gamos.

I bought a 22 cal Benjamin Marauder last year and like it. I got the hand pump, didnt want to get into tanks. Very quiet and very easy to hit with. The pump is an extra complication though.

Rws heavy 177 wadcutters work best for me in the barn with the Gamo wich is about 70 ft long. I've chrono'ed them about 800 fps in my gamo 440. Dont go with light fast pellets in my experience YMMV.

Outside I do much better with the 22 cal marauder, but the gun
is so much different I cant say it caliber that gives all the advantage.

Gamos aren't the best, but I would take mine over a daisy 880 or a crosman 760 any day for starlings. Of course the new ones may be a lot different than my old Gamo.

If I was buying today it would probably be a Weihrauch HW50s probably 177.
or an RWS 34
I've had a RWS 48 - too heavy !

remember 177 for feathers, but squirrels = 22 cal to solidily anchor them.

I went Gamo in the last airgun round, and am stacking up the count
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Recoil stop on them rings/base?

I've sheared a fair number of stop screws...............

Yep....

They aren't long for the springer though, new rings (lower ones.....grin)are on order....

Not to mention a different piece of glass for it.
How's about a .46 cal airgun ... old school smile

http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/thread/1296928404/This+is+just+to+cool+not+to+spread+around
© 24hourcampfire