Home
Posted By: 7mm08 Remington Model 700 ADL - 03/04/11
I went out and bought a new rifle last week. Wal-Mart had a Remington Model 700 ADL .270 with an el'cheapo scope and sling on sale for $249. I like the CDL version rifles better because I like wood stocks but for that price I couldn't resist. I have a Nikon scope that I'm going to mount on it and get rid of the el-cheapo Bushnell that they had on it. I decided yesterday that I'd go shoot it just the way it was straight out of the box with the el cheapo scope just to get a feel for the gun. I cleaned all the extra gun oil and ran a few patches down the barrel and headed to my range. It shot very well for me and in fact I got some very impressive groups with one brand of factory ammunition. I took several brands of ammo and shot three shot groups with them. I was using sand bags as to prop my rifle on. Here is my averages at 100 yards.

Remington 150 grain Corelokts (round nosed)- 1 1/4"

Remington 130 grain Corelokts - 3"

Remington 130 grain Accutips - 0.651"

Hornday Custom 130 grain SP - 1 1/2"

Hornady Superperformance 130 grain SST - 0.692"

Winchester 130 grain Power Point - 0.573"

Federal 130 grain Power Shok SP - 1 1/4"

I went back and bought 5 more boxes of those Winchester bullets of the same lot number because it was very consistent about shooting those small groups. My question now is, is it worth reloading for this gun since it apparently loves the cheap Winchester Power Points and I'm just going to be hunting deer with it?

How many shots do you plan on taking at those deer?

I don't buy factory centerfire ammo, but if I found a factory deer load that shot that good, seriously doubt I would reload for it.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Remington Model 700 ADL - 03/04/11
$249? the action alone is worth more than that.
Power Points kill deer just fine. That's darn good accuracy, too.

If you like the process of developing loads for a new rifle, then by all means do so. You don't need to, however, with this rifle.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Remington Model 700 ADL - 03/04/11
How much you gonna shoot? If you are only going to shoot a box or two year I'd say no.

Swampman will be along to tell you about converting it to CDL wink
Posted By: 7mm08 Re: Remington Model 700 ADL - 03/04/11
I usually shoot at least two boxes a year during the off season and then shoot 10 or less shots while actually hunting. I like the process of working up a load but for the accuracy I found with that factory load, I feel like I'd be wasting money to try to reload. I measured the overall length of the Winchester load and compared it to the others. It appears that the Winchester load had a signicantly more consistent overall length that the other loads and they were seated out further out that the other loads. I may pull a couple of them apart to see if I can tell what powder and what weight they are using in the event that further on down the load they change the load.
Posted By: 7mm08 Re: Remington Model 700 ADL - 03/04/11
Yup I paid $249 plus tax for it. They had some model 770's sitting next to it for the same price so apparently someone did not know the difference and put the $249 price tag on it too. They had two more just like it, one in .308 and another one in .270, for the same price. If they still have them next week when I get paid, I'm going to buy the .308.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Remington Model 700 ADL - 03/04/11
Damn Pirate. grin

Some years ago a buddy bought several new M700 ADL synthetics.

The first was a 30-06 for one of his kids and it shot Core Lokt 150s so well, he never loaded a round for it. Then he got one in 223 for himself, along with five boxes of American Eagle 50gr soft points. Figured to shoot 'em up and then load that once fired brass.

It was a tack driver with those loads, so he went back and bought an entire case of it, same lot number. Said he'd sooner spend his time loading for other cartridges and just shoot that crap in the 223.
$249! WOW! I thought the $350 I paid for my SPS ADL 243 was a good deal. I agree with the other guys. Reload for it if you want to but you will have no problems with powerpoints and deer. Take the time you would use at the loading bench and use it at the range
A Walmart ADL in .30-06 converted into a faux CDL. The metal parts came from Brownells but they can be found cheaper in the classified here.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The first 5 shot 100 yard group with Remington Core-Lokt 180 grain ammo. It will shot 165s into pratically the same hole.

I didn't bed this one or freefloat the barrel. Everything is as it came from the factory.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Remington Model 700 ADL - 03/05/11
I didn't bed this one or freefloat the barrel. Everything is as it came from the factory.

The "factory" shipped a "faux CDL", by slippin' an ADL barreled action into a CDL stock? Treachery!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Remington Model 700 ADL - 03/05/11
Your sling is on backwards again dumbass.
I sold the sling because the leather was over 1/4 inch thick. Montana offered to replace it but I found a brand that would actually bend.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Remington Model 700 ADL - 03/05/11
Those are some of the best slings on the market. Since you don't know how to use it, It's best that you sold it to someone who does.

If you use one, they break in fine.

Point being, it can't sit on fence posts for pics or under your bed....
Had you spent time at the Rifle Range you'd understand how that loop goes around your left bicept while your slung in.

This Montana was defective. I may try another.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Remington Model 700 ADL - 03/05/11
Why don't you pick a handle and stick with it.....
Why?
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Remington Model 700 ADL - 03/05/11
proves you're a troll is all
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Remington Model 700 ADL - 03/05/11
Yep
Like Swampman1 says, the 700ADLs are excellent rifles and for the money there are none better. For less than $200.00 you can convert them to faux CDLs and they look great.

I'll have to try some of the ammo that shot well in your .270 in my .270 thanks for the report.
© 24hourcampfire