Home
270 Winchester
Ruger M77 Mark II Walnut
Leupold 6X
Swift A-Frame 140 grain
Uncle Mike's nylon sling
Minox HG 8.5x52 binos

Rest assured you got it all covered. Steer clear of the grizzlies and no need for anything else other than a new roll of freezer paper.
dogger - for the man/woman who can shoot, your combo will do it all.
Sure, that and about 5,000 other rifle/cartridge/bullet/scope/sling/bino combos....
It will work.

Don't know how comfortable I would be with that combo if I happened to suprise a dangerous big game - ie. Grizzly sow with cubs.

I guess you could tell her she is not supposed to be there, as you are clearly hunting for non dangerous big game....

Location has alot to do with what you carry vs. what you are hunting. wink
You're all set, I'd include griz as well, wouldn't be my first choice for Brownies but if I had to.

Now the more important Q, what do you have for hunts lined up and where at?

Thx
Dober
lol. don't show my wife this post.
Dogger you are going to get eaten. Mark is tricking you. wink
Dogger...you could really be in deep $hit if in Alaska...or Coastal BC... grin otherwise maybe ok... cool
Illegal in Ohio and other shotgun states.... whistle

Won't work there.... grin
Originally Posted by Dogger

You aint a [bleep] grin. I've got a use for all those rifles (each and every one) in my safe wink whistle
Originally Posted by ingwe
Illegal in Ohio and other shotgun states.... whistle

Won't work there.... grin

Whew....
The bears only nibble in Ohio....
I'm selling all of my rifles to buy a .223
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I'm selling all of my rifles to buy a .223

You'll probably shoot more.
Outside of the Salmon Fed Brown Bears on Kodiak, thou it would do, you don't hunt those alone unless you live there. Other that that Nothing, you would have problems in the Shotgun only States. It would do for 98% of the worlds big game to boot too. Of course you would have to be able to shoot well enough to hit a basket ball at 50 yards. Let us know how it works our for you in say 2050. That is 40 years from now.
That 6X can cost you a buck in the woods, it happened to me with a 4X. On a misty morning a whitetail can slip in so close that, when you raise your rifle all you see is hair.
Sonds good to me but you can take that nylon strap and give it a toss I'll take a 1" leather one everytime. Magnum Man
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
That 6X can cost you a buck in the woods, it happened to me with a 4X. On a misty morning a whitetail can slip in so close that, when you raise your rifle all you see is hair.

I could not agree more. I had to sight down the side of the barrel like it was a shotgun for a 25 yard black bear. 4x scope was way too much at that range.

Randy
As others have said, not so good in shotgun areas. Also, in the thick swamps I grew up hunting in Mid-Michigan, that 6x would have to go. I say toss a 2.5-8 on it instead and now we are talkin.

+2

What you propose is a good rig for open country. In the woods 6x is too much for a fast shot, which is often the only kind you'll get.
270 Winchester
Ruger M77 Mark II Walnut
Leupold 6X
Swift A-Frame 140 grain
Uncle Mike's nylon sling
Minox HG 8.5x52 binos

It can't work in Texas....the deer will run too far into the thickets and need to be trailed up;nothing less than a 300 mag thank you...

It also won't work on any elk hunt for which you paid more than $1000,and have to shoot beyond 175 yards.If you are a City Slicker, cut the distance in half..... smirk

Grizzlies will eat you... whistle
Aww hell, it'll work. Just change the scope over to a 2-7x leupie, and yer good to go.

maddog
So, perhaps the Leupold VX-II 2-7x28 Ultralight?

270 Winchester
Ruger M77 Mark II Walnut
Leupold 6X
Swift A-Frame 140 grain
Uncle Mike's nylon sling
Minox HG 8.5x52 binos

Dogger �

There are just so many things wrong with that combination�

1. At the end of the day the .270 Win is a pretty wimpy cartridge. You would be much better off with a .338 RUM with its much improved long range capabilities. If the recoil is a problem you will need to add a brake and some mercury recoil reducers in the butt stock. I�ve heard tell the .338 RUM can not only shoot into the next county, it can shoot into tomorrow or back into yesterday. (Actually, that�s true. As Rush says, �Don�t doubt me on this!�)

2. A Ruger MKII? Really? You would be much better off with a �Best in the WORLD� Remington M700, even an old one that fires when the safety is released (just keep it pointed in a safe direction where the bolt handle is ready to fall off and the ejector spring is broken or missing.

3. Nobody in their right mind would use a fixed 6x. What you need is skyscraper rings holding a Night Force scope with a 50mm objective and turrets. If you can�t afford good glass, just stay home.

4. Swift A-Frames are fairly low production bullets, made by relatively �inefficient� manufacturing and are rather expensive. They also have a fairly low BC when compared to other, less expensive bullets. You don�t want to be caught dead supporting �inefficient manufacturing� and no matter how well they might work and you need to shoot dozens if not hundreds of animals to prove they work any better than cup and core bullets. Trust me, you would be better off using a Ballistic Tip or VLD. If things go bad and you lose an animal because a BT or VLD failed to penetrate, at least you can take comfort in the fact that you saved a few dimes. I mean, really � where are your priorities?

5. A nylon sling? Do you want EVERYONE to know you shop Wal-Mart? What you need is a custom, hand tooled leather sling by a well-known leather worker. Should only cost a couple-three benjamins.

6. Big-ass binoculars? Do you really want to carry those around all day when hiking up and down the Rockies looking for elk? Even on the Texas flats they will just take up space you could use to haul beer. Get a pair of opera glasses and stick them in your shirt pocket. Better yet, just skip the glasses all together and use the scope for everything. Sheesh!

7. Not on your list, but you need a good laser range finder. Don�t waste your time with the cheapies. I suggest a military quality, �man portable� unit good to at least 3 miles � you never know when a really long range shot at a world record trophy might present itself!

That'll do it or the 2-7x, 33mm.

maddog

NO!

Lousy scope... stick with a 2-7x33... get dots.

Your rig makes a lot of sense.
All he needs is a .223 with a 75 gr Hornady bullet. Make it a Match bullet to. Don't let anyone tell you you need a hunting bullet.
It damn well better be stainless steel with a fiberglass stock.
Otherwise stay home and sit in the corner by your dish.

As far as scopes go I took a nice buck at 18 paces with a 6X Leupold scope. Not a problem. In fact Varmintgay told me that if a scope isn't at least a 6x20 it will not be accurate so there.
Na na ne na na wink
Hmmm... so Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 with LR Duplex?
Eventually you can get used to anything if you practice with it.
Straight 4X should be enough scope for anything or else you can try and get closer the way people used to do in the old days. grin
whelennut
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
You would be much better off with a �Best in the WORLD� Remington M700,

At least you could hit a pie plate at 50 yards.

.270 is a good deer cartridge. A fixed 6X is an ok varmint scope.
BobinNH wrote; It can't work in Texas....the deer will run too far into the thickets and need to be trailed up;nothing less than a 300 mag thank you...

Bob, here in Texas we refer to them as townies grin When a townie shows up at the ranch with his starched and iron safari khaki's, LL Bean button down, custom leather shell holder on his belt and his Roy Mark5 in 300, we have special spots for these feller's to hunt. laugh

But I must admit, I have seen the same thing all across this country and up in Canada also, I watched a feller try to shoot a Mulie up in Alberta several years back and I swear he needed a release trigger on the 340 Roy he was toting. smirk

Go forth with 270 and conquer wink

Randy

Randy: Must be the same guy I seen in Alberta.......no wait...it was a 338RUM...those bucks are BIG! grin

Bullschit.

I killed 5 this year with fixed 6x scopes. 21 yards (and walking in hardwoods), 387 yards (open field at WAY dark), 35 yards (walking in mixed bottomland), 7 yards (same bottomland, trotting), and 42 yards (same bottomland, walking).

That's just this year.

Over the years, the closest with a fixed 6 has been 5 yards; furthest was well almost 500. Hunted them everywhere from open fields, to creekbottoms, briar thickets, hardwood stands... among other places, and in 5 eastern states (NY, VT, NC, VT, and NH)... and they flat work, if you have a friggin' clue about mounting one properly, shooting with both eyes open, and how to actually shoot while hunting.
270 Winchester
Ruger M77 Mark II Walnut
Leupold 6X
Swift A-Frame 140 grain
Uncle Mike's nylon sling
Minox HG 8.5x52 binos

.......................NO-WHERE!
But why hamstring yourself, when there are dozens of better choices?
I'd seal the walnut stock up with wax or spar varnish, and bed it too. You might be more comfortable with a Leupie 4x instead.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Randy: Must be the same guy I seen in Alberta.......no wait...it was a 338RUM...those bucks are BIG! grin

BobinNH...I think you are wrong on that one..if the same fella he was carying a 338/378 Weatherby loaded with 250 Barnes XFBs...had a Zeiss 3x12x56...he had just left Alberta and came over to Meadow Lake Sask laugh
Mine's a tang safety model and I use cup and core bullets but the set up in the original post been working for me for 30+ years. Pa. farm country deer, bear, and groundhog. 15-350 yds.

Dale
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Bullschit.

I killed 5 this year with fixed 6x scopes. 21 yards (and walking in hardwoods), 387 yards (open field at WAY dark), 35 yards (walking in mixed bottomland), 7 yards (same bottomland, trotting), and 42 yards (same bottomland, walking).

That's just this year.

Over the years, the closest with a fixed 6 has been 5 yards; furthest was well almost 500. Hunted them everywhere from open fields, to creekbottoms, briar thickets, hardwood stands... among other places, and in 5 eastern states (NY, VT, NC, VT, and NH)... and they flat work, if you have a friggin' clue about mounting one properly, shooting with both eyes open, and how to actually shoot while hunting.

Bull nothing. 6x42's suck, and I'll gladly pay you $50 for them..

Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'd seal the walnut stock up with wax or spar varnish, and bed it too. You might be more comfortable with a Leupie 4x instead.

Take that walnut stock and make firewood out of it.

Originally Posted by rta48

Bob, here in Texas we refer to them as townies grin When a townie shows up at the ranch with his starched and iron safari khaki's, LL Bean button down, custom leather shell holder on his belt and his Roy Mark5 in 300, we have special spots for these feller's to hunt. laugh

forth with 270 and conquer wink

Randy

The problem I see using the 270 or the 30-06 on just about anything that walks in North America is they are boring, always dependable and easy to shoot and connect with at reasonable hunting ranges...but these old timers do not sell magazines or make good tv shows anymore....and be honest the ol' 270 and '06 are not a fashionable rounds by todays standards...if they were so good why were the WSM and other mega calibers devloped ...folks are always looking for something which does it "better"... and in the game fields of North America...it just ain't going to happen...grin
Well said, ou76

Randy
Probably no need to bed it. If it's accurate don't mess with it.
I have always been a .270 man, but if I were thinking about an AK moose in big bear country.........
I would much rather see a brown bear hunter bring up that set up than what most of them bring ! A decent shot would do just fine
Originally Posted by 458Win
I would much rather see a brown bear hunter bring up that set up than what most of them bring ! A decent shot would do just fine

Wow......! shocked smile

Geezz......and I just finished this huge pissing match with guys telling me 7 mags are inadequate for elk......so I'm listening closely here Phil.Have never shot a BB with a 270 or 7 Mag..... eek

But I do know folks who have done it..... whistle
Originally Posted by Brad
So, perhaps Leupold

NO!

Lousy scopes...

Fixed if for you. cool
Originally Posted by 458Win

laugh

Yep, Phil just shot holes in most arguments we have been hearing lately.
Damned refreshing!

Randy
Dang, no love for the Leupold eh? I have a tough-as-nails rifle, sling, reliable ammo and good binos... and so need a trim and light and deadnuts reliable scope. I figured Leupie would be the obvious choice. Hmmm...
First of all, Phil has a hell of a lot more experience than me hunting bears so what he has to say has to be seriously considered wink.......but personally I use the 375 H&H loaded with 275 BBC for the big bears..Coastal Grizzly, Kodiak/Brown Bears and Polar Bears...everything else in NA I have used both the 270 and 30-06 with no problems... but if I were Moose or Sheep hunting hunting with my '06 loaded with 200 BBC I would have no trouble tackling a Mountain Grizzly... grin
Originally Posted by Swampman700
.................Yep! When it comes to Swamp, there are always better choices.

30-06, 30-06, 30-06, 30-06, 30-06, 30-06, 30-06 chambered in a Remy 700, Remy 700, Remy 700, Remy 700, Remy 700, Remy 700, Remy 700.

I am not recommending the .270 for Brown bear as there are - at least in my opinion - a lot better choices - but I have know a few Brown Bear guides who chose the 270 as their backup rifles and lived to ripe old ages.
So it is a given that a proper hit with the 270 and a stout bullet will take Brown Bears. What I said was that I would rather guide someone with the mentioned gear than many of my clients with large bore rifles that they are afraid of and can not shoot well.
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

30-06, 30-06, 30-06, 30-06, 30-06, 30-06, 30-06 chambered in a Remy 700, Remy 700, Remy 700, Remy 700, Remy 700, Remy 700, Remy 700.

Excellent post but for large bears even the .30-06 is only a tad better than the .270.
Jack O'Connor started that .270 with a 6X for western hunting thing. And a 3X for eastern hunting. Good for it's day. But that day is gone.

Variables are light years ahead of his day. If you don't glass your rifle with a quality 3X9 you are going to be stuck in a 40 year old past.

O
I also have to call BS on the people who claim that a 6x (or even a 4x) results in "a scope full of hair" on deer at close range.

I just broke my own record for closest running shot with a 6x, killing a big Texas pig at 10 yards with a 2.5-10x set on 6x. Though I couldn't see the whole boar, I could see airspace above and below his shoulders--and put the bullet right in the middle of his shoulders.

This isn't surprising, since the field of view of a modern 6x is at least 18 feet at 100 yards, which means almost 2 feet at 10 yards.

Excellent post but for large bears even the .30-06 is only a tad better than the .270.
...............It was an excellent post, which was designed to be a compliment to you Swampy! Afterall, how many times can read 30-06 and Remy 700 in one posting?

Oh and btw, the original heading did say,,,,,"NON" dangerous game? Shhhhhhh! Don`t tell anybody, but I don`t think big bears were included when hunting using a 270.
Still trying to understand the need for (or desire for)fixed power scopes in the 21st century.
First off, I must admit my bias - not for the 270; never shot a thing with it myself.

Or my son:

[Linked Image]

270 Winchester [check]
Ruger M77 Mark II Walnut [He got the Ruger and walnut part; check]
Leupold 6X [fixed power; check. He used a Weaver 2.5X]
Swift A-Frame 140 grain [loaded with a Lee Loader; check]
Uncle Mike's nylon sling [removed in deference to young hunter KISS rules; otherwise, check]
Minox HG 8.5x52 binos [none needed]

[Linked Image]

140 Swift -A-Frame (Midway seconds); recovered beyond the offside shoulder blade, after punching through. Somewhat beyond 200 yards on the shot. Gained some new respect for both caliber and hunter.
Still trying to understand the need for (or desire for)fixed power scopes in the 21st century.
................And some here (maybe alot), are still trying to understand you in the 21st century......... laugh

OOPS! Sorry. grin My Bad. I must have been posting such foolishness while you were being silly. My BAD! grin grin Or NOT grin grin grin grin grin grin
Proves nothing....again
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
Jack O'Connor started that .270 with a 6X for western hunting thing. And a 3X for eastern hunting. Good for it's day. But that day is gone.

Variables are light years ahead of his day. If you don't glass your rifle with a quality 3X9 you are going to be stuck in a 40 year old past.

O

Tell you what, put a M8 6x42 and a 3x9x40 on the classifieds and see which one sells in 2 minutes.

Novelty sells well but common sense isn't common.

Really??? Damn I have several on several rifles and have never felt handicapped, even when hunting antelope. The chosen round yes, but not the scope power.
Wheather or not you "felt" handicapped is immaterial. Still, some folks are stuck in the 1960s.
Proves nothing....again

You're right. It was a stunt. In fact, everything we do is. grin

I may even shoot some caribou in the next couple of days with a Remington. I rest my case.
"Trying to understand...."

Not many people have the courage to admit that they have a hard time trying.

Wheather or not you "felt" handicapped is immaterial. Still, some folks are stuck in the 1960s.

So? Some are stuck on the single digits: '03.....'06. But it works fine.....as long as you've got at least the best........in the world..........

[Linked Image]

......Ruger M77. Oh, ooPs again! sick Still, not bad for an inaccurate rifle.......399 yards. whistle Being stuck in the '60s, or even a century ago, isn't all that bad I guess. (Oh, lest I forget, 4X fixed too. sick )
Don't you know Swampy?...variable scopes fall apart and/or leak right out of the box! Bwahahahaa
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I also have to call BS on the people who claim that a 6x (or even a 4x) results in "a scope full of hair" on deer at close range.

I just broke my own record for closest running shot with a 6x, killing a big Texas pig at 10 yards with a 2.5-10x set on 6x. Though I couldn't see the whole boar, I could see airspace above and below his shoulders--and put the bullet right in the middle of his shoulders.

This isn't surprising, since the field of view of a modern 6x is at least 18 feet at 100 yards, which means almost 2 feet at 10 yards.

Beats mine John, closest for me was 13 yards with a M8 6x42. He is hanging on the wall so I guess it worked out.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Don't you know Swampy?...variable scopes fall apart and/or leak right out of the box! Bwahahahaa

Right along side Remington bolt handles falling off.....Laffin'
Dude, you are screwed...it can't work:

1) not shooting VLDs
2) 4-14 scope with turrets or other range compensation do dads
3) "tactical" style stock
4) tested to 1k yards

And please upgrade to a 7mag.

'06 an .270's are yesterdays news, they don't work any longer.

I read that on the internet, it has to be true....

Here, this will make you feel better :

[Linked Image]
Pre-64 Model 70 in '06 (turn of the century technology), Leupi VXI 3x9x50, set at 6x during the shots, shooting 150grain Speer Grand Slam

Shot on the dead run at about 100 yeards at our hunt club.

I am pretty sure the bullets bounced off of the bear, and he met his demise by running into a tree, breaking his neck. Either that, or one of my shots took a tree down and he ran into it (not quite sure...)

Works for me.

Tony

I currently have quick release rings on all my guns, and a backpack full of scopes. I carry a fixed 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x, 7x, 8x and 9x scope with me at all times. Then I can just reach into my backpack and switch powers if needed. I just don't trust variables.

lol smile

I currently have quick release rings on all my guns, and a backpack full of scopes. I carry a fixed 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x, 7x, 8x and 9x scope with me at all times. Then I can just reach into my backpack and switch powers if needed. I just don't trust variables.

......................Never once in over 45 years have I had an issue with any variable scope I`ve ever owned.

But if you like carrying 7 scopes in your backpack for an eventuality that will likely not occur, then go for it. One or two back-up scopes maybe, but 7 of `em? Hope you don`t ever trip or happen to fall and land on your backpack in just the right way as to break "some" of those backup scopes.

To each his own I suppose!
Dude...

......................Never once in over 45 years have I had an issue with any variable scope I`ve ever owned.

But if you like carrying 7 scopes in your backpack for an eventuality that will likely not occur, then go for it. One or two back-up scopes maybe, but 7 of `em? Hope you don`t ever trip or happen to fall and land on your backpack in just the right way as to break "some" of those backup scopes.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Oh man.
laughed so hard I almost blew soup up thru my nose!
Right along side Remington bolt handles falling off.....Laffin'

Almost as funny as guys who shoot so much, they wear out variables. Wonder how many barrels get burned out per variable scope going titts up............funny stuff.
Leupie 6x36 w/ LR Duplex and a 270 Winchester sounds to me like a match made in Heaven... the matte black will look a bit tacky though, against the gloss blue of the Ruger.
It appears that the radiation has made it to California....to Anaheim anyway.

Perhaps it has been there a while???

WTF.....

Tony
Originally Posted by hicountry
It appears that the radiation has made it to California....to Anaheim anyway.

Perhaps it has been there a while???

WTF.....

Tony
............Very cute there hot shot! Any questions from you as to what variables I have owned over the last 45 years that I`ve never had problems with?....Nope!

Good to know, that the best you can do is to be a comic. Radiation over So Calif? That was a good one!

When I start glowing, you`ll be the first to know! I`ll sell ya one of my radioactive scopes!..... laugh laugh laugh

Nope!
laughed so hard I almost blew soup up thru my nose!
...............Be careful of that soup Dogger! Glad to be accomodating to a good laugh now and then! laugh
bigsqueeze,

We were just busting you ba!!s over the fact that it appeared that you believed the post on swapping out multiple fixed power scopes in order to change the scope power setting.

It was a joke, get it !!!!

BTW, I hope that none of that schit from Japan makes it to the west coast.

Hopefully it will be well diluted by then.

Also, I have used variable power scopes since I was 12...41 years ago, and I have never had an issue.

Tony

Originally Posted by hicountry
bigsqueeze,

We were just busting you ba!!s over the fact that it appeared that you believed the post on swapping out multiple fixed power scopes in order to change the scope power setting.

It was a joke, get it !!!!

BTW, I hope that none of that schit from Japan makes it to the west coast.

Hopefully it will be well diluted by then.

Also, I have used variable power scopes since I was 12...41 years ago, and I have never had an issue.

Tony

'''''''''Yup! Got it!

I know someone who carries 4 darn scopes on every hunt. That`s why I seemed not to get the joke.
Oh and btw, we ain`t glowing yet out here on the "left" coast!

bigsqueeze,

I carried one spare scope with me during a 10 day hunt in BC.

I didn't actually carry it in my backback though, just left it in camp....

Tony
I can solve the scope problem with back up irons... Any recommendations on a good aftermarket front and rear sight?

You really don't hunt much and kill many animals at all, do you Swampy?

Reading this thread, it ain't hard to spot the one's who have shot and hunted a fair amount....and those who haven't........

Yes Boys and Girls.....variables "break" now and then,and the higher the round count the greater the likelihood...but I've had more than one go TU within 100 rounds,on rifles with any recoil to speak of that is....

..and YES(surprise!), you can actually kill a big game animal with a fixed power scope;that is if you know what you're doing and can shoot.

Oh, and before I forget...it's really funny to see a guy standing there, Remington in one hand, and bolt handle in the other......you won't soon forget it...I guarantee it's a riot!

And if you got a problem killing BG animals with a 270 and a fixed 6X, take up crochet.....

I think that it would work for everything non-dangerous. I am not convinced that it would be the best choice for Bison(freeranging in Alaska where you encounter them close-NWTs has the same thing going), Brownies or Polar bears. I think that it would be fine for everything else.

Sincerely,
Thomas
1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Yes Boys and Girls.....variables "break" now and then,and the higher the round count the greater the likelihood...but I've had more than one go TU within 100 rounds,on rifles with any recoil to speak of that is....

You have to shoot em to see it happen but it does wink
You know, when I think about it the only scope failures I've ever had over the years were with variables. On the other hand, I've got several variables that have been used and abused for a lot of years with no troubles. I've undoubtedly killed more game while peering through a couple of Weaver K-2.5's than anything else though, and have very little need for 6x or higher on anything but varmints.
Oh, and before I forget...it's really funny to see a guy standing there, Remington in one hand, and bolt handle in the other......you won't soon forget it...I guarantee it's a riot

I'm sure I'd laugh as well. I just wish more people would give first hand experiences instead of perpetuating internet rumors. I just hope that this bolt handle thingy is less common than Swarovski's "rep" for bino's fogging up. Like my signature line says....if you repeat anything long and hard enough, some will start to believe it. Even the most ridiculous ones as well.
RD/Blackheart: I'll admit these things don't happen often....but they do on occassion pop up frown

The look on the guys face was sorta funny,like ...."What now!?"....I remember thinkin' at the time(I was real young....)"Gee I don't think that's supposed to happen..... shocked grin
Next thing you'll be telling me you had a Swaro fog up while stalking Sasquatch.........

grin
Can you focus cheap binos into Swaros is the real question laugh
Only when Jessica Alba is sitting in my lap telling me how much she wants to...
When she's done here I'll send her over your way laugh
Geesh guys, as to the OP, your good to go. Don't think much about the Ruger, but would not want you to pick my wife either. Don't have trouble with variable scopes' but they are usually set on 6X when I am walking or sitting but don't feel handicapped with a straight 4 or 6 either. As far as caliber it could have been anything from a 7x57 to a 338 WM. The key is to be able to make a good shot with what you got Russ
Oh yeah. the 7x57. I have that already, in a Mark II... nice rifle. i suppose i should not even consider sitting it aside for the 270.
Oh yeah. the 7x57. I have that already, in a Mark II... nice rifle. i suppose i should not even consider sitting it aside for the 270.

I sat the 270 aside for the 7x57 wink
I too would suggest the Leupold 2-7x but I am willing to take it a step further. I think this rifle would take any of non-dangerous and "dangerous" game animals in NA with ease given good bullets. Would it be my first choice to grizz? No, but given quality bullets you would be fine. A .270 WCF is a howitzer compared to a .30-.30 and how many grizzly have been taken by those? Tons. Hell I read just the other day of one in B&C book.
© 24hourcampfire