Home
I have 3, 30 caliber rifles that are all factory stock rifles, 2 kimbers and 1 browning abolt. All shoot well but I'd like to get more shots out of them before dropping off accuracy and having to clean. I also like the idea of possibly even getting more accuracy out of these rifles and making them easier to clean as well. So I have 2 questions.

1. which fire lapping kit would you recommend for doing all 3 rifles??

2. Does the neco kit recommend firing jacketed or lead bullets to fire lap??

I'm trying to move the lands back as little as possible while smoothing out the bore. Thanks for any feedback from those with experience. I hand load so won't be buying preassembled ammo.
Clean to pristine,drive moly and live a leetle.

Hint.................
JB Bore paste.
Fire lapping "might" not hurt, but JB never will.
JB is a great way to arrange "pristine". Patch out with Kroil,then dry patch,followed with mebbe an alcohol pass or two.

Then swap gears and simply shoot.................
I wouldn't use any of this stuff. It just wears out the barrel which is worn out fast enough.
I preferr to get some 40 grit sandpaper and wrap a piece of it on a bullet that is 1 caliber less then what I'm shooting.

(paper patching) *grin*
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I wouldn't use any of this stuff. It just wears out the barrel which is worn out fast enough.

I think you are likening a barrel's inside to your butt's. Worry less about what you put in your barrels and more....
A hand full of sand works great to ruin your barrel, and it's free.
I would suggest Ultra Bore Coat, a one-time application ceramic bore-coating that in my experience is a lot less hassle than either moly or fire-lapping--and in general more effective: www.ultraborecoat.com
Actually, I just tried the link, and the company has changed the name of the product to Dyna-Bore Coat. But the link will get you there.
Pulling the trigger,has never been a "hassle"...................
Originally Posted by FVA

I think you are likening a barrel's inside to your butt's. Worry less about what you put in your barrels and more....

Dooooooooooooooooooood! laugh
what affect on accuracy if any does utlra bore coat have? How long will it last in the rifle????
None.
As long as the barrel lasts.
I just used a Tubb's kit on a barrel this last weekend. Used a Hawkeye borescope before and after to see results and they where impressive. There where several reamer marks and other "speed bumps" in the bore before the lap. The bore after looked like a hand lapped barrel and seemed to foul far less because post testing clean-up was MUCH easier than before.

I am going to check to see if the throat moved forward any. I have numbers on it before fire lapping.

This rifle was acting very erratically before and accuracy was disappointing. Immediately after lapping the first 5 shot group went under .8" at 109 yards and the second 3 shot group was .47".

The owner of the gun was happy because the next step was going to be re-barreling.
Tenn,
Curious if the throat moved. Let us know. I don't recall noticing a difference with mine, but then I can't be certain I measured it afterwards...

As posted earlier, I have been very happy with the results using Tubbs. I haven't always used all the bullets in the kit, just depends on how rough I think the barrel is.
Originally Posted by Tennessee
I just used a Tubb's kit on a barrel this last weekend. Used a Hawkeye borescope before and after to see results and they where impressive. There where several reamer marks and other "speed bumps" in the bore before the lap. The bore after looked like a hand lapped barrel and seemed to foul far less because post testing clean-up was MUCH easier than before.

I am going to check to see if the throat moved forward any. I have numbers on it before fire lapping.

This rifle was acting very erratically before and accuracy was disappointing. Immediately after lapping the first 5 shot group went under .8" at 109 yards and the second 3 shot group was .47".

The owner of the gun was happy because the next step was going to be re-barreling.

Pure BS.....
Originally Posted by Tennessee

Pure BS.....
Just my thoughts exactly whenever I see one of your posts.
Something may have fixed your barrel, but it wasn't a bore wear out kit.
If Swampman says it's BS, I recommend it. Do you have any idea how little credibility you have?
Do you have any idea how little the scorn of fools bothers me?
Originally Posted by prm
Tenn,
Curious if the throat moved. Let us know. I don't recall noticing a difference with mine, but then I can't be certain I measured it afterwards...

As posted earlier, I have been very happy with the results using Tubbs. I haven't always used all the bullets in the kit, just depends on how rough I think the barrel is.

It moved. Promise.
Do you have any idea how little the scorn of fools bothers me?

Security in your own stupidity is a sad condition indeed but you are far advanced in it and ignorance is surely bliss. Being as ate up with the dumbass as you are you'll never claw your way out of the chasm of sheer and utter mental hopelessness however and we have to suffer along with you.
Nice modern rifles.....DONT DO IT! It will erode out your throat a [bleep] your bore. Seen it helped do it.

Lefty C
I tell it like it is. If you don't like the truth put me on ignore....please!
And miss the train wreck that you espouse! Your reality is way mo' funnier than fiction.
I don't know how much experience with Tubbs kit or Neco's kit that Swampman has but I'm thinking he likes to hear himself type (probably one finger at a time).
Prolly got his miniature Dugan in the other reveling in ignorgasmic ecstasy.
Seen plenty of tubes ruined by sophomoric nimrods like yourselves. Keep sanding the inside of those barrels girls.
Swampman, I'd like to quote you but I have u on ignore so keep the "blanks" coming.
I cleaned up a handful of old Ruger barrels with the NECO kit many years ago. They either shot better or the same and all cleaned much easier.
I have used both the NECO kit and Tubbs Final Finish. In my experience they're more useful for polishing the throat area of a new chamber than anything else. Sometimes they'll help a bore, and sometimes they won't. If you fire a lot of either the throat WILL end up further forward, and be a little larger in diameter as well.
We had one member at our club, who convinced himself that the Tubb system was the answer to his prayers and "kept at it", until he thoroughly ruined the bore in his M700 223.

True tale. He now hates Remington, because they refused to make his rifle "right".
I'm firmly convinced you could damage a rife by shooting too many rounds of these systems, but I'm planning on being very conservative and shooting only enough to smooth out the rough spots as evident from the lead slugging bullets that are pushed down a greased bore. My rifles shoot good already but I feel that conservative use of the Neco system can't hurt and will make cleaning up easier. I'll keep everyone posted on my experience. Just ordered the Neco kit today. I will also be keeping a close eye on the throat and any lengthening that takes place.
I would not use either on a barrel that is performing well, but I HAVE turned several poor performing barrels into good ones with the NECO kit. I have not tried the Tubbs system but plan to when I am out of NECO bore lapping compound. The concept and idea is sound, proven many times over by myself, Mr. tubbs and MANY other experienced shooters. Like many products careful and proper use can be a good thing, overuse not so much. Nothing wrong with moving a throat forward in some cases, either. Adjust the load and fire away.
safari man, thanks for the feedback and advice. It's always good to hear from someone who has a voice of experience.
© 24hourcampfire