Home
Posted By: Josh Sorensen 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
My sister in law decided to take up hunting and was given a sporterized mauser 98 in 8x57. The factory ammo availability was pretty poor and the factory loads are extremely mild. I really had my doubts about its performance on moose and bears.

I got a set of dies and some 200gr Speer hotcore bullets. The speer book says this bullet was designed for the 8mm Rem mag so they should be plenty tough enough at 8x57 velosities. A stout load of ramshot Tac gets those 200gr speers going 2457fps and the accuracy was pretty good.

It was a pretty fun little cartridge to play around with. So much so that I could'nt handle having a set of dies without a rifle to shoot them in. I picked up a little brno that somebody had sporterized with a williams peep online for a pretty good price and set it up as a truck gun. A xs white line front blade combined with the williams peep really worked out well. The gun I got doesn't shoot nearly as good as my sister inlaws but will get the job done, 6 shots in about a 3.5" group at 100 yards.

I have been having some trouble finding data for heavier bullets in the 8x57. There are some really interesting bullets out there from 200-250gr that I think would be pretty nice for moose and bears. I will mainly use this rifle for targets of opportunity, its always a good idea to have a rifle in the truck, and would keep shots under 150 yards. Maybe 200 on moose. I would think that at these ranges a good 220-250gr bullet might be just the ticket.

Anybody have any expereince with the heavier 8mm bullts out of the 8x57? Or any experience with the cartridge on big game. Some of the specific bullets I have been looking at are the 220 and 250gr woodliegh RN, the Hawk 220 and 250gr RN, and 220gr sierra GK. Any load data for heavier 8x57 loads would be really appreciated.

The 8x57 is an excellent cartridge and capable enough for elk in these parts. Never used one on a big bear. I've tried IMR 4350 (of course grin) and 200 gr. nosler partitions in my 8mm mauser and it was surprisingly accurate. I always thought it would be the cats meowe on elk, but never had the chance to use it on elk. I did however load up some 175 gr. sierra gamekings for my friend to use on a mule deer hunt and it was very lethal on a nice muley buck. DRT with no tracking at all. If it were me though and big bears were in the picture, I'd stick with a well constructed bullet like the nosler partition and load it up to where the rifle shoots the best without giving up much in the way of velocity (load up close to max if you can, always start off lower and work up of course). The Nosler manual lists the load I used:

200 gr. partition bullet
52 gr. IMR4350 (max book load and also compressed)
CCI 200 (what I used)
R-P brass

Velocity for this load out of a 24" barrel around 2700 fps.
bsa...I was shooting these with good results out of my VZ24@2601fps, never killed anything with it as it was sold from my hands before I got a chance to prove the round.
Posted By: efw Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
If a 180 gr in '06 is considered sufficient for big bears, why wouldn't a 200 gr .323" at 2600 also work? I'd think that you could get better velocities from a slower powder like Big Game perhaps? Here is what their manual lists:

Big Game 200 NOS A-BOND 45.0 2,330 50.0 2,550 54,000 3.115

When I picked up a .325 WSM I was told by several people that the 195 gr Interlock is a really tough bullet and a great length for an 8x57. Also, if you look at the rating on the 180 gr NBT it is built pretty tough as well, plenty for elk, but bears I'd do as you're looking to w/ a heavier bullet.

The 220 Sierra is REALLY long and built for the 8 RM so unless you have a super long throat I wouldn't think you'd get enough umph behind it to make it expand fully, although the Hodgdon site suggests you can get about 2400 w/ H 4895. That'd be a heckofa thumper!

Good luck! I'd love to hear about your results. This is a severely under rated cartridge and I think it'd be great for the applications you're seeking.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
Yep. Pretty much what everyone else says...a 200 gr. NPT or Accubomb, or a 195 gr. Hornady and you'll be golden....

I used an 8x57 on my first safari, before these better bullets were available and it killed elk sized Kudu and such just fine... grin The one next to my desk as I write this is an 8x57 Kudu..

[Linked Image]

grin
Originally Posted by Chandalar Jack
bsa...I was shooting these with good results out of my VZ24@2601fps, never killed anything with it as it was sold from my hands before I got a chance to prove the round.

Yep, its a great load and has worked in 3 different rifles I've owned (actually one was my dads bone stock VZ24) and they shot very well. I wouldn't hesitate one bit when it comes to the 8x57. I'm kicking myself in the azz for selling one to a buddy that couldn't live without it blush. These rifles are puzzycats to shoot and can be very accurate. This rifle shoots this load into 1 - 1.25 moa (3 shot groups blush) very consistently:

[Linked Image]
This is a sporterized GEW98 (I think that's right??). Anyway I gave it to my dad to go along with his full military VZ24 and the other day when he was visiting he was bragging about it being just as accurate as my rifles grin. It shoots good but not as good as my pre-64 and others I have. He shot my pre-64 OFFHAND at 100 yds and made a very impressive 2.5" group (damnit now he wants it too blush).
Posted By: fremont Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
Originally Posted by ingwe
I used an 8x57 on my first safari, before these better bullets were available and it killed elk sized Kudu and such just fine... grin The one next to my desk as I write this is an 8x57 Kudu..

Cool mount. Love the light tips....
Yep. Pretty much what everyone else says...a 200 gr. NPT or Accubomb, or a 195 gr. Hornady and you'll be golden....

[Linked Image]

grin

Ingwe, I'd have to agree that is very nice.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
Been a LOT of schit, all over the globe, killed with the 8x57mm.

Posted By: Swampman700 Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
I'd like to have a 700 Classic in 8X57.
Posted By: PaleRider Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
Not much I'd be afraid to hunt with the old 8x57.

Never could see what all the hype about the 338 Federal was about when we already had the 8x57 around confused - Just more good marketing I suppose.
When loaded to similar pressure the old mauser is a better round in my experience.

I've got one built on an old Argentine Mauser action from way back when that used to play hell on hogs.
Any of the standard cup an core bullets work well at 8x57 velocities and the Nosler Partitions are gold...............

RL15 loads well with the lighter bullets & the same powders that load well in the 30.06 do the same in the 8x57 with heavier bullets.

Ted
Posted By: gmsemel Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
There is nothing In North America that I would not shoot with a 8 x 57. I have limited shooting of one years ago. I can get an 8 x 57 barrel for my blaser. Its a good cartridge, just American Loadings are a little on the moderate side. Not bad but you can do a whole lot better with some good handloads, 200 gr Nosler Partitions is were I would start.
Another 8x57 question. In order to get this rifle zeroed with the peep sight I ran out of adjustment on the peep and had to shim the appature sight base .045" to the right to get it zeroed. Im guessing that the front sight might be slightly off center causing this, also the crown is pretty ugly. I'm thinking of cutting it down to 20".

Anyone else ever play with a shorty 8x57? What kind of velosity loss did you have??
Posted By: medicman Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
Originally Posted by fremont

Cool mount. Love the light tips....

The lite tips are a part of what makes those horns so great. White tips come on old bulls because they are worn down and polished. Young bulls do not show thw ivory.

Ingwe you gots all the goodies.

Randy
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
Originally Posted by Swampman700

So would I, I'd love a nice 8x57 hunting rifle. I started hunting with an old 98 Mauser in 8x57. The 8 had every bit as much thump as the 30-06 that replaced it.
Posted By: croldfort Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
The 8x57 was the German comparison to the US .30-06 when it came to taking big game like stag or bear in the respective countries.

I have several excellent surplus Mauser models in 8x57. Life is good.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
Can't think of much I'd not hunt with an 8x57. I run 180gr TSX and 196 Norma Oryx mostly. I do have 5 boxes of 220gr Woodleighs, but haven't killed with them yet.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MojoHand Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
I've never owned or shot one so my .02 cents ain't even worth that much but whenever the 8x57 Mauser is mentioned the first thing I think of is the write up in Nosler manual #3 by Al Miller (1st paragraph):

"Among other things, terror can beget respect--that's why I always think of the old 8x57 with mental cap in hand. We were introduced the hard way, that round and I, one hot July day in 1943, just off the Sicilian coast. An ME-110 knifed over the ship I was on, and as it thundered past, the rear gunner cut loose, raking the deck behind me as I sprinted for a nearby gun tub. Luckily, he missed--but anybody who thinks an 8mm is a popgun never dodged bullets from one!"

He might have been refering to pompous Col. Askins who in the same manual said (writing about the 8mm Rem Mag) that "any comparison between this modern number and the antiquated 8x57mm is sorta laughable". I don't know of anyone who would compare the two but maybe it made the old Col. feel more manly.

Anyway, I remember reading those quotes as a kid and they always stuck with me. I wouldn't mind a 8x57 Mauser one bit, but truth be told, I'd rather have the Ruger 77 RSI in .338 Federal over on the .338 Federal thread. Besides, I already have a Whelen so I can't lose!

Use that Mauser and keep us posted on game results (complete with pics, of course).

BTW, sweet Mauser Kudu, Ingwe--very classic!
I believe that the 8X57 has been used for years in Namibia (large German population) on all manner of plains game. No reason it shouldn't work equally as well on what you plan to hunt.
Posted By: Youper Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
I've used the 195 gr. Hornady with IMR4064 for deer and bear with excellent results. The Speer 170 worked on deer also without complaints. If you clean up the crown it might tighten up considerably.
Posted By: sactoller Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Can't think of much I'd not hunt with an 8x57. I run 180gr TSX and 196 Norma Oryx mostly. I do have 5 boxes of 220gr Woodleighs, but haven't killed with them yet.

[Linked Image]

Really, like the looks of that Ruger!
Posted By: Mauser8x57 Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/10/11
I love my 8x57. I have a sporterized k98 with a nikon on top. Killed a nice 6 point at 200 yards along with a few other deer. I have tried the 200 x bullet it shot alright in my rifle, but mine likes the 185 grain cor-lock. Shoots a solid inch at 100. I rotate the rifle I take just about every time I go in the woods so I have a chance to kill something with all of my rifles. It was my first real hunting rifle. It is hard to say if I was put in a pinch financially if I would part with that rifle. 8x57
Originally Posted by Mauser8x57
I love my 8x57. I have a sporterized k98 with a nikon on top. Killed a nice 6 point at 200 yards along with a few other deer. I have tried the 200 x bullet it shot alright in my rifle, but mine likes the 185 grain cor-lock. Shoots a solid inch at 100. I rotate the rifle I take just about every time I go in the woods so I have a chance to kill something with all of my rifles. It was my first real hunting rifle. It is hard to say if I was put in a pinch financially if I would part with that rifle. 8x57

bout time you showed up grin. This question was meant for you.
Posted By: Jericho Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/11/11
For awhile NIB 700s in 8x57mm were everywhere and nobody
seemed to want them.
Posted By: sactoller Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/11/11
Originally Posted by Jericho
seemed to want them.

Pre-Campfire looneism!
Posted By: weagle Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/11/11
I'm using just under the max load of IMR4350 from the Nosler number 4 with these.
[Linked Image]

I can only speculate that it would be a good choice for elk and moose, but I can vouch that it smacks whitetail deer nicely.

Weagle

Posted By: Hook Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/12/11
Josh, I have an old military 8X57 barrel on my sporterized Mexican mauser that is about 19" long. The muzzle blast is not appreciable as far as I'm concerned. Of course, I am partial to short rifles anyway. The little Mex is a pleasure to carry and shoot. Loaded with 170 gr spitzers, it seems to make AL whitetails fall down very well.

Weagle, you could shoot any bullet out of your Brno 21F and a deer would be happy to keel over just out of respect to the rifle.....
Very similar in size and power to a 30-06 so why wouldn't it work very similarly to a 30-06 on same sized game? wink
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/13/11
Originally Posted by Jericho
seemed to want them.

That's a fact bought mine on a closeout deal for $348 and it shoots nice after working the trigger pull down. Just put an old K4 Weaver on it and load 150 gr Hornady's with RL 15. Did pickup a couple hundred 185 Corelokts that will get a workout also.The performance on the one deer I shot with it looked real close to 06 results. Magnum Man
Posted By: Tonk Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/13/11
I once had a friend who owned a single shot 12ga shotgun and just 2 rifles that he customized years ago. They were the in the calibers 7 X 57 and the 8 X 57. He used the 7mm with 140 grn bullets for deer and the recoil was almost non-existant.
The 8 X 57 used a larger bullet (170 grn) but now days you have a much greater selection and powders too will give you a better send off for that bullet.

Noslers 200 grain Partition will do the job on any bear, moose or elk you might wish to bring down. The most accurate powder is Varget according to Nosler but the velocity is only 2530fps. I like the powder called IMR-4064 for a velocity of 2630fps and this is not a compressed load either. It fills the case to 98 percent.
Posted By: Altjaeger Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 04/13/11
My son in laws grandfather used the 8x57 to kill a small truck load of elk.

I would just about call my .30-06 and 8x57 interchangable.
Posted By: castnblast Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 03/07/13
I just got my 1951 Brno 21H 8x57 back from the gunsmith with a new NECG bolt shroud and M70 style safety installed. Can't wait to take it out and shoot it, I think it will get some exercise on elk or moose this fall. The traditional 198 gr. bullet at 2500 fps should do the trick. On second thought, spring bear season comes in a couple months...
There's only a few of these left. Some of you 8mm shooters might want to pick them up:

http://shootersproshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=71&product_id=1052
$21.80 for a box of partitions is a pretty good deal.. wink
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 03/09/13
Already sold out frown
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 03/09/13
You might try the new CFE223 powder its supposed to work well with the 8X57. Check the new Hodgdon's annual reloading guide for loads.
Posted By: moosemike Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 03/09/13
Originally Posted by Swampman700

There's one for sale in my local shop. It shows a little bit of hunting use on it-not much. They want $600 for it. Is it worth that?
Posted By: sactoller Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 03/09/13
I think it would be, if it is one you want. I am sure they will deal some. Throw them an offer and see if it sticks.
8X57 for moose? Why not? Scores of 'em get shot every year by a 7.62X51. Even 7-08s work. I even heard tell of the odd one falling to a 270, but I mostly doubt that. laugh

One of my uncles now long passed on, killed MANY moose with an old thutty thutty.
Posted By: Shod Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 03/10/13
Best load I've found for the 8 mm mouser is........

220 sierra gameking
54 grains of Ramshot Hunter
CCI mag primer

This load produces 2480 fps out of a 24" barrel in three different rifle.
Brass life is 15+ loadings neck sizing only and still going.

This load is astonishingly accurate producing 3" 500 yd groups out of one rifle and under 6" 500 yd groups out of the other 2 rifles I've loaded for. All the rifles have factory 1 in 9 1/2 twist military step barrels. The actions are bedded and barrels free floated.

I know the book recommends the 220 sierra for the 8 mm mag however I've had great results with it in the 8 mm mouser.
At 300 yds this load is deadly on any critter and at 200 yds or less it puts critters down with serious authority. I wouldn't be afraid to use this load on the big bears in Alaska. The 8 mm mouser is seriously underated and I personally dont see any difference between it and my 338/06. My 338/06 pushes a 225 accubond at 2530 with less brass life.

Shod
Posted By: Below_par Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 03/10/13
Where my family comes from (macedonia, ex-yugoslavia), an 8x57 has been the usual brown bear medicine for about the last 60 or so years, and for years the rifle that fired it was an old beat up ex-army M48 mauser. The cartridge is definitely capable of putting down brown bears, but i dont know how they relate on size to the bears you guys get in the US.

Just a thought.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 03/11/13
Those comments by Al Miller and the ME-110 trying to do him in originally came from one of his articles. IIRC, he did one on the 8x57 with loads in a somewhat higher pressure range. It might have been in Handloader, but I'm not sure.
Paul B.
Posted By: coyo Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 03/08/14
I used to not pay to much attention years ago to the ol 8x57mm Mauser but had a definate love affair with the ol 7x57mm Mauser and then one day a few years backI picked up an ol k98k battle iron at a local auction and made up a few cases from old military 30-06 brass and one day we were shooting at an old white real estate sign up on a hill 800 yards out in some freshly tilled up dirt and as one man would shoot the other would watch his bullet strike and even with the ol mauser battle sights it was rather DAMNED amazing how close one could come to putting a tag on the sign 800 yards up the side of that hill,and as time has gone by Ive sold my 30-06 rifles and ammo and I now have a small fleet of 8x57 mm rifles and I guess all I know how to say about it is DAS Mauser ah dat german engineering the ol 8x57 mauser as good as it gets.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: 8x57 for moose/bears?? - 03/08/14
I have a VZ action that is going to get a new 8x57 barrel this year...then it's going into a nice piece of walnut, getting a K6 and hunting stuff!!!
© 24hourcampfire