Home
Posted By: dtspoke Barreled Action - 04/12/11
Who would you guys recommend as a good source for barreled actions?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Barreled Action - 04/12/11
Remington..buy an SPS and throw the stock away...
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Barreled Action - 04/12/11
Dick's Sporting Goods...sell the SPS or ADL stock on eBay for $40.00 or so...
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Barreled Action - 04/12/11
Originally Posted by ingwe

Or leave it on and make a good horse rifle.
I always think about replacing it but it's bedded/floated and POI never seems shift.

A McMillian might be better though.....grin
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Barreled Action - 04/12/11
Nor would it if it weren't bedded and floated.
I can't say for sure accuracy wise because I started handloading for it right when I bedded and removed pressure points.

It's consistently accurate now is all I know.
Still a Remington though, clunky action and chitty trigger....grin
Posted By: dtspoke Re: Barreled Action - 04/12/11
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Or leave it on and make a good horse rifle.
I always think about replacing it but it's bedded/floated and POI never seems shift.

A McMillian might be better though.....grin

That's the thing, I'm looking for a good action and barrel with a garbage stock in a .33. The SPS seems like a decent enough setup that pulling the stock doesn't make a ton of sense.

Am I wrong?
In my sample of one SPS(early 90's vintage), I see no reason to upgrade. It's a heavy old plastic stock though, maybe the newer one's are more flimsy?

I never carry the rifle, just gets hauled around by a horse for 3 or 4 days every year.

You may want to get a nicer stock if it's gonna be a rifle that you use alot. Beater gun and I'd leave as is so long as it held POI.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Barreled Action - 04/12/11
In my sample of one SPS(early 90's vintage), I see no reason to upgrade. It's a heavy old plastic stock though, maybe the newer one's are more flimsy?

I never carry the rifle, just gets hauled around by a horse for 3 or 4 days every year.

You may want to get a nicer stock if it's gonna be a rifle that you use alot. Beater gun and I'd leave as is so long as it held POI.

The last and final SPS had its mounting screws so far out of alignment that I had to use the "Max" inserts on Burris signature rings to get it sighted in. The POS should have been sent back to its maker but a misguided gunsmith bought it off me for a project.
Posted By: dtspoke Re: Barreled Action - 04/12/11

This is going to be a scabbard gun (to replace a Model 70 in .300 Weatherby), but I usually guide in areas above where we can ride horseback, so I'm going to be draggin this thing up the side of many mountains in horrible terrain.

I live in the middle of the largest burn in Colorado history so we hunt in nasty terrain with looong shots as a norm.

I'd like to build something that could endure this type of hunting with the appropriate caliber for the type of shots.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Barreled Action - 04/13/11
Sounds like you are gonna be using the rifle, an aftermarket stock might be a good idea....grin
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Barreled Action - 04/13/11

Then the barrel and action....

and go get a Howa for $389.00
Posted By: dtspoke Re: Barreled Action - 04/13/11
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

I've looked for a Howa barreled action in .33 but have had no luck. I did find a used Howa 1500 that was in pretty rough shape for $350 on Gunbroker, I just feel hesitant buying it to stick that action and barrel into a nice stock.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Barreled Action - 04/13/11
I could use a Howa barreled action or 2. I'm a few short to stake my tomatos this year.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Barreled Action - 04/13/11
Hey Pinocchio,

Keep tellin' lies and you can saw up that long beak of yours and stake tomatoes.

Laffin.
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: Barreled Action - 04/13/11
Vanguards starting at $439.00
7mm Rem. Mag.
.300 Win. Mag.
.300 WSM
.300 Wby. Mag.
.338 Win. Mag.
http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard/synthetic

Add a McMillan Sako Classic stock
BARRELED ACTIONS
"not everyone fits into a standard when it comes to rifle features. For this reason the Montana Firearms Group Custom Shop is pleased to offer the following information to customers who wish for something "different". There are a variety of options to include different stocks, color coatings, barrel contours, fluting, octagon, muzzle brake twist rates, etc."
http://montanarifleco.com/barreled%20actions.html

Remington SPS $460.00-$660.00
http://www.impactguns.com/store/rem_700sps.html

Add McMillan Compact stock
Posted By: ingwe Re: Barreled Action - 04/13/11
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Next you'll be telling us to get an A-bort....sheesh... grin
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Barreled Action - 04/13/11
Next you'll be telling us to get an A-bort....sheesh... grin

grin
Posted By: Jglenn Re: Barreled Action - 04/13/11
if you have an Academy Sports anywhere close they sell the cheap 700 at 349 all day long.
© 24hourcampfire