Home
Posted By: kyreloader High Tech Stocks? - 04/13/11
I am considering getting a High Tech stock for my "hunting" Ruger M77 in .25-06.

I was wondering if anyone had one of these stocks and what your opinions are of them?

If not worth the money, any other stock makers that you would recommend. (No Manners/McMillan recs please-would like something different).
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: High Tech Stocks? - 04/13/11
I had one and it was ok. A bit more work than a McMillan as far as fit and finishing, but other than that no real complaints.

John
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: High Tech Stocks? - 04/13/11
Originally Posted by kyreloader
I am considering getting a High Tech stock for my "hunting" Ruger M77 in .25-06.

I was wondering if anyone had one of these stocks and what your opinions are of them?

If not worth the money, any other stock makers that you would recommend. (No Manners/McMillan recs please-would like something different).

Reasonable price as a blank and you can come out ahead if you are handy but if it is professionally done you might as well order a McmIllan. MGArms and Lone Wolf make lightweight stocks.
Posted By: gatgun98 Re: High Tech Stocks? - 04/13/11
I have 3 or 4 High Tech stocks and they are superb! We use them in our rifle shop very often and have had zero problems with them! Be prepared to do a bit of inletting and glass bedding. If you are even slightly handy you can fit the rifle yourself. Do not expect a drop in finish unless you send your rifle to them or another custom builder! Good Luck! Gatlin Guns
Posted By: Bighorn Re: High Tech Stocks? - 04/13/11
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I had one and it was ok. A bit more work than a McMillan as far as fit and finishing, but other than that no real complaints.

John

I have one, which I had bedded, then hand finished it myself and sent it off to Rick Bin for painting. It has proved to be a great stock, very durable and stable.
Posted By: rflshtr Re: High Tech Stocks? - 04/13/11
I have several on Rem 700's and Rem 7's. I like them since I have small hands and the other stocks mentioned generally are harder for me to grip as comfortably. I like the light weight and the rifles they are in shoot very well. However, unless you do much of the finish work yourself, you will not save any money compared to a McMillan. The High Tech stocks do require lots of fit and finish in my experience. I would do more of them since I find them to be good stocks when finished.
Posted By: SKane Re: High Tech Stocks? - 04/13/11
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Reasonable price as a blank and you can come out ahead if you are handy but if it is professionally done you might as well order a McmIllan.

Yep. I like them a bunch but I also don't do my own stock work.
On the several that I have, I ended up paying more for it than I would have paid for a McMillan Edge. And the Edge is almost always pretty close (if not already there) to a drop-in-and-sling-lead stage.
Posted By: LoboHunter Re: High Tech Stocks? - 04/14/11
I have one that Rick Bin fitted, bedded, and painted for Montana 1999 barreled action in 6.5-284. It is very light weight and works well in that package. Haven't used them for any other rifles yet but would consider it based on my initial experience. Hope to have more time on my hands in the near future and will give some of the work/painting a try.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: High Tech Stocks? - 04/14/11
Check out MPI. You will get alot more choices of stock styles for your Ruger with them. Excellent stocks!
Posted By: 338rcm Re: High Tech Stocks? - 04/16/11
I have a Bansner and several MPIs. Both are good stocks. Top is the Bansner

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MikeFletcher Re: High Tech Stocks? - 04/16/11
I have two rifles with High Tech Specialties stocks. I like them. They are light & trim, their style fits me well.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: High Tech Stocks? - 04/16/11
I like the ergos of the High Tech better. The MPI is a stiffer stock though
© 24hourcampfire