Home
Posted By: ar15a292f Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
I need some opinions on leather rifle slings. On a classic styled hunting rifle with a wood stock, should I install a leather military loop sling (M1907 type), a Brownells Latigo, or something else. I am not looking for a wide cobra style carry sling. If I go with the military loop, should I get the Turner, Les Tam or the Brownells Competition? I would like to use the ling as a sooting aid and not just a carry strap. What sling swivels should I get? In the past I have just used a nylon super sling or a wide cushioned synthetic cobra type.
Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
I've been using the Brownell latigo's And A.E. Nelson military style slings for a long time, they are easy field adjustable and I prefer studs and not hooks. The hooks have been a bearcat at times to get some swivels over. I think a 1" leather sling makes
any classic rifle look a little better, and functional too.
Posted By: guyandarifle Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
All my hunting rigs either have Latigo or Montana slings.
Posted By: deflave Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
Montana sling.

Travis
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
I haven't heard of the Montana sling. Could someone please enlighten me about them. Thanks.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
Linkie
Posted By: 7mm08fan Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
If you're planning on walking/hiking long distances and carrying the rifle on your shoulder, I would recommend a softer sling than any size leather. Some examples being Red Head Deluxe Neoprene, Vero Vellini, Butler Creek Comfort Stretch etc. These will not cut into your shoulder as much as any leather sling. If the intended use doesn't require long distance shoulder carry, the Montana Slings noted above are really nice.
Sactoller, thanks for the link. 7mm08fan, I have a soft sling. It is a Beretta sling that came with my Beretta Mato synthetic rifle. It is a Vero Velline with the Beretta name on it. I just got a gorgeous grade XXX claro walnut stock for the rifle and now I want a traditional leather sling for it, preferable one that I can use as a shooting aid. I am looking for a 1-1/4" leather type sling.
Posted By: SKane Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
Originally Posted by deflave
Montana sling.
Travis

Ditto.
Agreeing with the former FIB again. laugh laugh

Posted By: jorgeI Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
Whatever sling you decide upon, don't take advice from Swampman on how to affix it to your rifle....
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
montana sling is a no brainer.
Posted By: temmi Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
Montana sling.

Travis

Montana sling.

Snake
It looks like the Montana sling is a 24HR favorite. I will get out to Cabela's this weekend and check it out.

JorgeI,
Thanks for the heads up, I've got a Beretta Mato, not a Remington M700 so I think that I'm safe. By the way, I'd be interested in what slings you use for your rifles. Based on your post about the ABC's of Bra's I can tell that you have excellent taste and a very insightful knowledge of straps that support heavy objects. You also seem to share my passion for fine literature. smile
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
Can't think of anything worse than a leather sling. Went to neoprene and never looked back.
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
Montana sling, definatley.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
The best sling there is....

http://www.murraycustomleather.com/slings.htm
Posted By: model70man Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
My favorite is the one piece Whelen style by Hunter.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/15/11
I now have a couple of the Montana slings and I'm not a sling guy.
Posted By: 30mmplumber Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
I am old school, I have 3 Turner and 4 Les Tam slings,,all 1907 style and I think the Les Tam ones will last long after I am gone, so i plan to will them to my 7 year old nephew.
Classic never goes out of style.
Posted By: EDMHUNTER Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Originally Posted by tedthorn

+1
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Boyt makes a nice one and you get to pick your own swivels.

http://www.boytharness.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=223
Posted By: toad Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Montana sling. i get the ones with Chicago screws so i can change swivels if i want. 1" for the lighter rifles, 1.25" ones for the heavyweights.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GF1 Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
I use have really like the pair of Latigo slings I have; been using them for years. I've not used, but also like the look of the Montana sling.
Posted By: Riverhawk Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Montana sling.

Travis

+1....I have several of these and they work great...and look good to boot.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
For the M1907 go Turner (I have them on my M-1 Garand and M1903A3), but for classic hunting rifles I like the Montana too (and with the Chicago screws). Here is one on a M88 Winchester.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Odessa, nifty lookin' rifle!

I've used this one for about 4 or 5 years, something you keep because it is the chit....grin
[Linked Image]

Absolutely slam dunk no contest here...Montana sling is the way to go

Dober
Posted By: deflave Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Originally Posted by SKane
Montana sling.
Travis

Ditto.
Agreeing with the former FIB again. laugh laugh

We do have a tendency to be right about things... grin

Travis
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
VV's for me.........
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
If I go with the military loop, should I get the Turner, Les Tam or the Brownells Competition? I would like to use the ling as a sooting aid and not just a carry strap.

I have used Les Tam's, and currently use a couple Turners, on competition guns. For that purpose, they are awesome. But on a hunting rifle, they're a bit stout and stiff. I'm not sure I'd like one too much on a carrying rifle.
Originally Posted by Tom264
VV's for me.........
Course VV's arent leather.

I hate leather slings.
Originally Posted by toad
Montana sling. i get the ones with Chicago screws so i can change swivels if i want. 1" for the lighter rifles, 1.25" ones for the heavyweights.

[Linked Image]

This is one of my all time fav pics from the Fire!

Dober
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
VV's for me.........
Course VV's arent leather.

I hate leather slings.

I like VV slings too and they do make leather ones now. Very high quality.

[Linked Image]
Never knew that.

Interesting.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Originally Posted by 7mm08fan
If you're planning on walking/hiking long distances and carrying the rifle on your shoulder, I would recommend a softer sling than any size leather. Some examples being Red Head Deluxe Neoprene, Vero Vellini, Butler Creek Comfort Stretch etc. These will not cut into your shoulder as much as any leather sling. If the intended use doesn't require long distance shoulder carry, the Montana Slings noted above are really nice.

Maybe it's just me, but for those who haven't tried a neoprene sling. the bounce drives me crazy when walking and I think it's potentially dangerous when "rock hopping." YMMV
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Maybe it's just me, but for those who haven't tried a neoprene sling. the bounce drives me crazy when walking and I think it's potentially dangerous when "rock hopping." YMMV
My VV's dont "bounce"

Others Yes!
Posted By: Glacier_John Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

I feel exactly the same, too bouncy. I have leather slings on all but one rifle which has that bouncy neoprene.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
The only Noeprene I have is on a Model 81. I hate that [bleep] for the same reasons mentioned. Bounce...

The bouncing actually makes the rifle feel heavier to me, and I find myself getting it off my shoulder and into my hands when I have to hop over stuff.

I have bounced that rifle clean off my shoulder before. Jumped from the last rung of a tree stand and bounced it right upside my head.

POS IMO.

JM
Posted By: ingwe Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Plain old 1 inch " carrying Strap"...Basketweave...course I don't ever use it as a sling per se...just a carrying strap...

[Linked Image]

I kill these heavy, massive deer and need to shave weight anywhere I can in order to get them out of the woods! laugh
I make them myself from girth straps I buy at the Co-op.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Those look good Swampy.
Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Nice work Swampy, they look good.
Our Academy Sports carries the brass Chicago Screws and the swivels I prefer.
Posted By: deflave Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11

[Linked Image]

What is this toad?

Travis
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
I can't find pictures of each sling on that Montana site?

If you have a military type sling those hooks can mark up a rifle. I removed the hooks from some 1" military slings and tied the ends with rawhide. That and turning the sling inside out to use the rough surface.

Here is a sling turned inside out and you can almost see the rawhide laces in place of hooks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Another vote for the Montana sling.

I used to not like leather slings so I used webbing. After I tried the MT sling that changed fast.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
I like leather slings too. But my newest one is a nylon "Ching Sling" I got from Midway. Very light. I use a Kifaru Gun Bearer if I need both hands free not a sling.
Ching Slings or the earlier CW Slings have one big advantage. They are much faster and easier to use than the military styles. I've used the military stuff, or modified versions, for years. But, when I started using the CW Sling on the Scout Rifle I had built, the advantages were immedately apparent.
Basically, the loop is huge and very easy to get into. Particularly useful if that throphy of a lifetime is in a hurry to get out of sight.
There are leather Cling Slings out there. One must add another swivel stud to use this system. But it's well worth it. E
Posted By: toad Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11

[Linked Image]

What is this toad?

Travis

that's a parkerized M7, 7mm-08 in a Brown's stock. somebody (BobinNH IIRC) here identified it as an early M7 FS. scope is a 1.5-5 Leupold w/M1 elevation knob.
i bought it on another board a few years ago and it's turned into a favorite.
Posted By: DillWeasel Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/16/11
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I make them myself from girth straps I buy at the Co-op.

[Linked Image]

Those are some sharp looking slings. Plus you get to hunt with something that you made, always cool.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/17/11
+1 Browning Latigo.

I have several and they're my favorite. Good carrying slings and quick to get into shooting position.

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/17/11

[Linked Image]

What is this toad?

Travis

that's a parkerized M7, 7mm-08 in a Brown's stock. somebody (BobinNH IIRC) here identified it as an early M7 FS. scope is a 1.5-5 Leupold w/M1 elevation knob.
i bought it on another board a few years ago and it's turned into a favorite.

Nice looking rig, Toad. All except the caliber. I've learned on this forum that a 7mm-08 won't kill a deer. Other than that, you did good...

DF
Posted By: deflave Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/17/11
That thing is cool. What length tube is that? Dig that glass too.

Travis
Posted By: BradArnett Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/17/11
I'm a fan on the Montana Sling as well. I run the 1" on the light rifles, and 1.25" on the heavies.
Posted By: toad Re: Leather rifle slings - 04/18/11
That thing is cool. What length tube is that? Dig that glass too.

Travis

it has an 18" barrel.
© 24hourcampfire