Home
Out of these three rifles which would you choose? I have seen and heard good things about all, but in a bolt gun which would you choose.
I don't know anything about the T/C, but would take the Howa of the other 2.
Easy....Howa/Weatherby Vanguard.
I have owned Weatherby Vanguards (pretty much a Howa 1500 action) I think they are are very solid , well made & designed in my opinion. My .300 win mag shot about 3/4 -1" groups all the time. The Thompson center to me looks like second generation S&W I bolt with a new stock and barrel.......never owned one but have heard they shoot pretty good. I did read one review(I can't recall where that said the gun did not feed well) I really don't know. I just bought my son a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 and put it in a boyds aftermarket stock and bedded it. The gun shoots 1/2-3/4 " 3 shot groups and seems to work and function pretty well.....there are some parts that are cast to keep cost down....trigger is pretty good for a low end gun....for the money I think it is a good gun. I think the Howa might be a touch better built. Hope this helps.Goodshot
Easy. The one you like best.
I'd choose the 1500/Vangaurd also. It has a long successful track record with rifles produced by S&W, Howa and Weatherby. As soon as one manufacture decides to drop production.....another is standing in line to pick it up. This is a very good indication that the design is sound. The 1500 can aslo be bought with a wood stock rather than plastic. Some might not find this an advantage, but it is to me.

Both the Marlin and T/C are really too new to judge, but each has features I DON'T care for. Most are "personal" dislikes, not nessisarily "problems" for others.

The T/C would be my last choice of the three. The stock design is bulky and uncomfortable for me as well as being plastic (which I can't tollerate). A big part of this is because of the detachable magazine that hangs down like a hernia on the bottom of the action. I have no use for detachable magazines of ANY design. Also primarilly a cosmetic flaw to me is the squared off rear of the bolt and the "fat" bolt design. Both are just plain ugly.

The Marlin, although of more "traditional" style, is also saddled with a plastic stock. The "fluted" bolt is something I could do without.....just a place for trash to gather and foul the action. I also don't like the trigger, even thought this general design does shoot very well. I'd much prefer a traditional adjustable trigger instead of one utilizing a "tounge" cluttering the trigger face.

The 1500 is by far the most proven and asthetically pleasing of the three possibile rifles.
I was looking for the best most inexpensive rifle and went with the Howa 1500 with the Hogue overmodled stock. I changed the scope mounts and rings to quality steel ones and am well satisfied.

1 Inch, 1 Shot, 1 Kill; 30-06
If you want a very accurate rifle buy the Marlin.I have 3 safe's full of hunting rifles and the new Malin XL-7 in 270 is the most accurate rifle I own.On the Marlin forum I have read that the extractor are not very strong on the Marlins. I own 2 Howa's in .243 and 6.5x55 and they are great rifles.
My strong advice, having owned Marlins and a Howa, is to run as far as you can from a new (within the last 5 years) Marlin. Their QC and customer support is terrible now. Just take a look at their stocks for starters.

Try the trigger on a new Howa. You'll love it. Also, you can buy just the barreled action and put precisely the stock you want on it, along with other variations.
Probably the Vanguard....
Originally Posted by CaptFlipCapsize
My strong advice, having owned Marlins and a Howa, is to run as far as you can from a new (within the last 5 years) Marlin. Their QC and customer support is terrible now. Just take a look at their stocks for starters.

Try the trigger on a new Howa. You'll love it. Also, you can buy just the barreled action and put precisely the stock you want on it, along with other variations.

Has this problem 0f QC come about since Remington bought them?
Originally Posted by ingwe

I may throw up,but I agree 100%..........

Jayco
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yep!
Another vote for the Howa.
I've owned both the Howa and the Marlin XL 7...

both are good servicable rifles...

no wrong choice with either...
© 24hourcampfire