Home
Ia a Sako Finnbear L61R, serial #94xxx, a pre-garcia model? Came across one,30-06, is nice condition. Any input on value?
Thanks
My guess would be no. My M72 has a five digit serial number and is definitely a Garcia import. Anyone that can verify this? Can't comment on value.

Best Regards
I hate to tell you but your Sako does not exist....Not according to the Sako database. The #'s on the L61R go from 1 - 90,954, last date of manufacture being 12/9/1973. After that, the sequencing goes absolutely haywire.

Seriously, one with that low a s/n has to be a good 'un...I love my low s/n Sakos...have a half dozen of em from that time frame.

Here is the Sako database of serial numbers...take a stiff drink and then try to make sense of it....Good luck and post a picture of it when you can...

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/SakoOldmodelsNumbering.pdf
Godogs,
I agree; I found that chart and could not locate a 94xxx series, though it is confusing. I have only seen pics and have asked for clarification before I drive 2 hours to see in person. Anything specific I should be on the lookout for on inspection? He is asking $1100 w/ a new 3-9x40 Conquest and what looks like Leupold ringmounts.
Thanks
Values are all over the board on Sakos. I believe that they are worth more than the money they bring, due to the quality of manufacturing. The bolt in that L-61 has more machining in it than most production rifles have in the entire gun. Put that with the accuracy and the fact that the magazine is designed to work for the caliber they are made in, and you have a virtually custom made rifle for off the shelf pricing.

If it is a Pre-Garcia gun, it will also have a third locking lug on the bolt in the rear bridge, making them quite strong.

If the gun is in good shape, with a Zeiss scope on it for the price, it is worth it if you want the gun. I just sold a German Weatherby Mark V in 300 Weatherby, with a Weatherby scope on it for $1000.00. It was near mint, I believe the Sako to be a superior gun, but the market doesn't usually bear that out...

The importer would be stamped on the bottom of barrel ahead of forestock, or somewhere on the barrel if it's a mannlicher
Correction SN # is 85038
When did Garcia start importing them?
I believe 1972. This may be an early Garcia import,still trying to confirm.
Owner says it does not have an importer stamp on the barrel and insists it is a pre-garcia rifle? Does it really matter much? What is the premium people pay for pre-garcia vintage?
Thanks
Does it matter much?

Nope, but it must to the seller if he is insisting.

If you have to hunt for that SN, it prolly isn't a FI import, but a Stoeger, but many of the parts or all but the tube could be "pre". Which is why it doesn't matter....

Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Owner says it does not have an importer stamp on the barrel and insists it is a pre-garcia rifle? Does it really matter much?
If you're going to shoot it then it doesn't matter at all. If you're a collector then it may matter. They are nice rifles from an age when the bottom line was not the most important consideration.
Cruiser1 - have 2 SAKO's purchased early and mid-70's. Both are stamped on the barrel, between the forend and muzzle, "imported by Garcia". Both shoot really well so, to me, it doesn't matter if they're pre or post Garcia. Regards, Homesteader
Sako serial # are a disaster. In my experience a pre-72 (pre-Garcia) Finnbear, which is what I believe you are looking at, will have as stated a 3rd lug at the rear of the bolt, a higher polished blue, generally a lighter stock (your hand can easily encircle the pistol grip) and a lighter barrel (roughly .600" vs. .650" at muzzle) and a fixed sling mount, no swivel and most likely have a Bofors stamp. They will not have an importers mark on the barrel. I do believe their fit and finish is better. They can often shoot very well as can the newer rifles. Value is very dependent on the model, deluxe or standard and obviously condition.
Handsup,
What I know from pics and correspondence, serial # 85038. Does appear to have the lighter colored stock w/ sling swivels.Standard model. No Bofors stamp(post 1968 lawsuit?) and no importer stamp(unless it is under stock). Wood and bluing looks 90-95%, butt pad maybe 80%. Trying to confirm 3 lug bolt.
Lighter colored stock with sling swivels??? Sounds like a deluxe grade...those are in the $1500 range right now in new shape.

The third lug would be the kicker for me....those are vintage and beautifully made for the most part.
I believe a deluxe grade would have a rosewood type forend on the stalk and some engraving on the bottom of the magazine. That should be very easy to determine.

I had a Finnbear L61R that was brand new in the box believe it or not. It also had the peep sight and old syle sako rings. It had bofors steel stamped on it with no importer stamp. The end of the box had 1962 or 1963 written on it, the serial #, and the price. It was brought back from England and it was from an English gun shop . I wish I still had it, but it was too nice to hunt with.

It ought to have bofors steel stamped on it, without a garcia import stamp on it if it's a pre garcia IIRC.
Rifles have been brought back to the states from Europe without the import markings. Purchased by GIs.
Hard to prove pre-anything...

g
Originally Posted by GeoW
Rifles have been brought back to the states from Europe without the import markings. Purchased by GIs.
Hard to prove pre-anything...

g

New with the box? I didn't realize that.
Not the best pics, but here you go:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Okay guys, help me out. IIRC, Back in the 70's, I walked into the gunshop and my dealer had just gotten in two Garcia L61's or L161's marked Ithaca. One was .222 and one .22-250. He offered me the choice for $180. Does this sound right? Thanks.
Probably LSA55, built by Sako, imported by Ithaca.
It's most definitely not a deluxe model.
I'd snap it up...beautiful rifle!

My favorite Sako story involves a Deluxe grade in 30/06 that a neighbor's son brought back from Finland while he was in the service. He had no use for it and figured he ought to sell it. Mom called me up saying "Dahlin' they are wanting $600 for some rifle with a name that sounds like "socks"....I can write 'em a check and you reimburse me next time you are in town"...Dad was up at our farm at the time, so she took matters into her own hands. Little did I know it was an unfired Deluxe grade, with hang tags still attached to the front swivel! Next week I picked it up at their house and starting writing out my check to her. My dad wasn't in the room at the time and when I handed her the check she asked for a smooch on the cheek and whispered to me "Paid in full". I kept it unfired and a safe queen until she passed in 2007...A month after she passed, I mounted a scope, zero'd it, and refused to pull the trigger until a nice one presented an opportunity. Thought I did OK here....226 yard shot and he dropped right there.

Love you mama!

[Linked Image]
Way cool. Mom's are great aren't they?
Cruiser, If you like it buy it. The price is fair. Looks like the top of the scope mounts are checkered which means it isn't a Garcia. Nice accurate rifles, but they are big and heavy IMO. Ken
My L61R is a custom using that action. The rifle you're looking at is priced realistically but talk the price down a bit.

Don't worry about the importer. I've had a bunch of Sakos from different vintages and they've all been really nice rifles. Years ago ordering parts from the guy who's pretty much an authority on Sako and collecting and all that....I asked him about the Garcia/pre-Garcia thing. He told me there's no difference, that Garcias are just as good as any others.

The Ithaca LSA55.....that was a Tikka, a completely different rifle from Sako. Made before they ever became part of Sako.
looks like a 1970 to 1974. more info on sakocollectors.lefor
Thanks Raider....she sure was....dad was too. I'm sure she's bossing him around on some project of hers up there right now...
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I'd snap it up...beautiful rifle!

My favorite Sako story involves a Deluxe grade in 30/06 that a neighbor's son brought back from Finland while he was in the service. He had no use for it and figured he ought to sell it. Mom called me up saying "Dahlin' they are wanting $600 for some rifle with a name that sounds like "socks"....I can write 'em a check and you reimburse me next time you are in town"...Dad was up at our farm at the time, so she took matters into her own hands. Little did I know it was an unfired Deluxe grade, with hang tags still attached to the front swivel! Next week I picked it up at their house and starting writing out my check to her. My dad wasn't in the room at the time and when I handed her the check she asked for a smooch on the cheek and whispered to me "Paid in full". I kept it unfired and a safe queen until she passed in 2007...A month after she passed, I mounted a scope, zero'd it, and refused to pull the trigger until a nice one presented an opportunity. Thought I did OK here....226 yard shot and he dropped right there.

Love you mama!

[Linked Image]

Thats way cool right there!!
Looks like a standard Finnbear Hunter. Made and for the most part looked the same from the early 70's to about 1990. Mine is a Stoeger import.
The rifle is worth, IMHO, $550 - $750, depending on condition.... The Conquest is worth +/- $400, so it is not "Overpriced"...And it is Mounted in rings that work... Sounds and looks like a pretty nice Sako!!! Good luck
I enjoy collecting the 3 and 4 digit serial number L-61 264 Win Mag rifles with the 26" barrels. They were apparently only made a few of them. I've never seen a 2 digit number 264.
It appears you like responding to 6 year old posts, too.

P
Pharmseller - " It appears you like responding to 6 year old posts, too." 6 y/o posts...no wonder it was so dusty when I read it - LOL. Had to double check the original date. Homesteader

I recently purchased a Sako FinnBear L61R with the serial number 39821 and a 3rd luv on the left rear of the bolt. Is it a “pre Garcia” that everybody keeps referring to? I just got it based a friends excellent shooting Sako some years back
Meant to say “lug” instead of “luv” but v and g are too close together for my fat fingers. Sorry
sako went to 2 locking lugs on the l61 in 1972.Depends on what caliber you have whether it is 2 or 3 lug .Icould stand corrected also.
A and that's why they perceive they are better....the 3 rd lug was deleted for cost savings and really doesn't effect shooting at all...
The 3 lug model will always be worth more tho...
© 24hourcampfire