Home
A few weeks ago I picked up a Remington 700 LSS mountain rifle in 280 Rem. and would like to see pictures of your mountain rifles I'll try to post a picture of mine. A few years ago I had a mountain rifle with detachable magazine in 30-06 that I regreat getting rid of.
I'd like to see some......
I will post pics when I get home (on vacation). I have a 700 LSS mountain rifle also but mine is in .30-06 with a hinged floor plate mag (metal) and it is a J-lock version (if I remember correctly). I have SS Leupold 2-piece mounts on it and a silver finish Nikon 3-9x? (don't remember).
.260 Remington Mountain Rifle w/DM, Vari X-II 3-9x40, Leupold rings and bases

[Linked Image]
Bearcat74- PM sent
[Linked Image]Does my Wally World Mountain Rifle count? grin
Kinda mountain rifle...#1 rocks
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A 280 mountain rifle sounds sweet btw....
Here's my 7mm but it's a short action Mountain Guide 7-08.

[Linked Image]

Bone stock, it shoots like this:

[Linked Image]
Ok well if Mountain Guides are Ok then here is mine in 243:)
Also a real shooter and just a nice rifle to carry.

Attached picture Copy of IMG_0960.JPG
Originally Posted by ts300wsm
A few weeks ago I picked up a Remington 700 LSS mountain rifle in 280 Rem.

I hate you. smile I want to find that exact rifle.
Custom KS/SS .300 RUM Mountain Rifle
[Linked Image]
My mountain guide in 708
[Linked Image]
This is the picture that forced me to buy it.....7/08 Mountain Guide with a little customizing by Karl
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OK, that cinches it.

Gotta get the original MR .270 I got secondhand in 1988 out and zero it today and take a picture of it on a fencepost.

It's been settin' since I took a Wyoming antelope with it October '02. Put a 'fire bought 6x36 Leupy on it earlier this year. Time to fill another pickup truck bed with whitetail.
[Linked Image] .308
7-08

[Linked Image]
Here's my 7-08 out playing long range:

[Linked Image]
.280 Rem smooth bolt
[Linked Image]
It now wears an old Redfield 6x
OK here goes...but it pains me cause I sold the gun years ago...

7x57 with a 1x4 Leupy on it...

[Linked Image]
Did that 'lope fall dead at the mention of the mighty 7x57, or just get down wind of you? I don't see any blood or a boolit hole.... grin
Not the best pic but the only one available at the moment. My Remington Ultimate Ti in a .260.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Did that 'lope fall dead at the mention of the mighty 7x57, or just get down wind of you? I don't see any blood or a boolit hole.... grin

Dat lope fell dead at the mere mention of the 7x57...all ungulates tremble in fear at the mere thought of it....
They just hide when they hear im packin my. 270 .........
They've heard it kinda hurts when they get hit and the bullet bounces off....

Good thing I head shoot most of the bastids.....
1988 280 Rem
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bufaf
This is the picture that forced me to buy it.....7/08 Mountain Guide with a little customizing by Karl
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's bad...!!!!!
Picked this one up at a local pawn shop a few years ago, intention was rebarreling it to .250 Savage. Ended up buying dies for it, took it on an antelope hunt in Wyoming where it took 5 antelope (3 for me, 2 for brother in law), and haven't really touched it since. Nice gun, I just have some others I like better. Really is a shame.

Here it is the way it came from the pawn shop, topped with a Vari-XII 3-9x40. 7-08.
[Linked Image]
My newest just showed up this week. 280 Remington
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Kool pic! A 7X on the prairie with a 1-4 Leo, amazing the darn thing killed that nice lope. Which bullet Ingwe?

Dober
I've built a few:

223Rem
[Linked Image]
7-08AI
[Linked Image]
30/06 (left)
[Linked Image]
260Rem
[Linked Image]
7-08Rem
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr
Dang nice bunch of rifles and game photos Men.

Gunner
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

[Linked Image]

Kool pic! A 7X on the prairie with a 1-4 Leo, amazing the darn thing killed that nice lope. Which bullet Ingwe?

Dober

A 162 BTSP Horn....this was before I drank the Kool-aid and didn't know any better..... grin
That explains the lack of visible wound..... cup and cores do bounce off...... grin
Gristle, mine looks just like yours but it's in 30/06 with a Leup 2.5-8X VX3. Carries well at 10K'.

LSS Mt. Rifle in .270 with Leupold 2-7X

[Linked Image]
6.5-06 on my diy mountain goat hunt last year. About the only rifle I use anymore.

[Linked Image]
Here are my three faux Ti ladies:

[Linked Image]

Top: .280AI (barrel redone by Mr. Redneck himself)
Middle: .270
Bottom: 7/08

I realize they all look the same, looking for a McMillan Edge for the .280AI as we speak....

whos goin to be the first to post a picture of the NEW Remington mountain rifle and what caliber ???
Here is my .270. Bought off a guy in its pictured state for $150. This is my current and only MR build. Stripped the stock and sent to Karnis for refinish and new recoil pad. Talleys and Leupy 2.5-8 on the way

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The one on top is a 7mm-08
Mountain Guides

7mm-08 & .243

[Linked Image]
A7x57, sportin' a 4x32 Zeiss:

[Linked Image]

And here's a pic with its latest victim:

[Linked Image]

A 1988 Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 30-06 wearing an older Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40. Both as new, unused. Picked it up last week. Smoking deal that I could not pass up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by KDK

I have a .280, 7x57 and a .257. All blued so I guess they no good. whistle
.30-06 in S. Dak

[Linked Image]

.280 rem KS in TN

[Linked Image]

.280 rem in Wyo

[Linked Image]

.338wm AWR in S. Dak

[Linked Image]
Here is mine in 25-06
[Linked Image]
Here's a .257 Bob with a short 1.75X6 Leupold. Sweet little rifle!

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[Linked Image]

I am similarly damaged......I had the exact same rifle and scope....and sold it. frown

We are Dumb and Dumber... smile
That's funny. Did you guys make a movie? grin
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Here is mine in 25-06
[Linked Image]

Damn nice Coues buck. Good on you.
.280 Rem

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Karnis
Originally Posted by KDK

I have a .280, 7x57 and a .257. All blued so I guess they no good. whistle

Not at all. I'd love to pick up any of the three. The thing is, I'd use those as-is. With the LSS, the barreled action would go into a Mickey EDGE that I bought before Remington stopped making them, then the barrel channel on the stock would be opened up a bit, and used for an SPS or the like.
I was just funenya. Need to take some pics, one in a Ti stock, the two others wood.
Talley low or extra low for a 2.5-8x36 on a long action?

(rifle in question is a 270 DM)

depopulator, is your scope wearing a 3rd ring?
257 Roberts

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Teeder
Here's a .257 Bob with a short 1.75X6 Leupold. Sweet little rifle!

I need that rifle... cry Never seem to have the money when I see one for sale.
Originally Posted by Pointbock
Talley low or extra low for a 2.5-8x36 on a long action?

(rifle in question is a 270 DM)

depopulator, is your scope wearing a 3rd ring?

extry lows will work
Originally Posted by Karnis
I was just funenya. Need to take some pics, one in a Ti stock, the two others wood.

I know. Just playing along. Fact of the matter, I'm a little envious.
Originally Posted by depopulator
.280 Rem

[Linked Image]

I like that picture! Nice...
I don't know if this is the only one but I bet there are not too many left handed KS Mountain rifles in 300 H&H, so chambered from the factory. I talked the custom shop into doing it almost 20 years ago. It has always been one of my go to rifles and has been over a lot of country with me. Lots of mule deer, whitetail and elk to it's credit, a few antelope, one caribou and a fair number of coyotes. It's been sheep camping a few times.

Mart

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That rifle is so cool it makes me want to be a southpaw.
My Faux Ti 30-06 and my 260 Rem.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Need to mount the 260 into a McMillan stock. Scope on the 06 is a Leupold 3.5-10x40 and the 260 wears a 2.5-8x36.

Ken
I think I'm a 700 Mountain Rifle Whore! blush...........Hb
Originally Posted by iddave
That rifle is so cool it makes me want to be a southpaw.

+1!
Originally Posted by firearms44

[Linked Image]

Nice rifles, Ken. Who did the bolt on the '06? Kampfeld? Did you have to specify the cut on the bottom of the knob?
.338-06, Pac-nor barrel, TI stock, Leupold 2.5X8

Originally Posted by firearms44

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Need to mount the 260 into a McMillan stock. Scope on the 06 is a Leupold 3.5-10x40 and the 260 wears a 2.5-8x36.

Ken

Nice collection. Looks similar to mine. Picture is not that good, but you get the point.

[Linked Image]

1. LSS .30-06
2. TI .30-06 in McMillan Edge
3. LSS 30-06 in McMillan Edge

338-06

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 257Deland
257 Roberts

[Linked Image]

ooooooooooo!!!!

I like it!!!
A lot of nice Remingtons and it looks like Mountain Rifles and Leupolds are a great combination!
has anyone seen any of the new 2012 mountain rifles in stock yet?? I called all my local dealers and nobody has any or can even tell me when they will get them.
anyone see a 2012 mountain rifle yet ?
Remington 700 Titanium 7mm-08 in McMillan Mtn. Rifle Edge.

[Linked Image]

Digging the ASAT camo.
280 Rem. Thinking it weighs about 7.6 with a 2.5-8x36 VariX III on top. Love this gun, prints nicely with 140 Accubonds, Partitions, and 162 AMAXes. Yes there's a Bubba on there, but that hike in was a long one and I couldn't think of a better way wink

[Linked Image]

If a guy wanted to he could grab a 700 Ti/Mountain Rifle in 270/280/'06, top it with a 6x/3-9x/2-8x and pretty much rule the roost, IMO. But messin' with the other ones is just too much fun.
I have a LSS Mtn. rifle in 7mm/08, and I just picked up a blue one out of the pawn shop in 7mm/08 also. ( I thought it was a BDL at first glance, but when I got it home and started cleaning it, I realized it was a Mtn. rifle.) Will try and get pictures.
Pics of 7mm/08 I found in pawn shop the other day. [Linked Image][IMG]
[Linked Image]
Rem. mt.rifle in 7x57 with Leupold 2x7. Great rifle, but never seem to get around to using it.
[Linked Image]

Of the Ti variety
anyone have one in titanium grey cera and a speckle toned grey stock ?
my 700......on a mountain

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If I could only have 1 rifle to hunt with,I'd be satisfied with a Mt. rifle in a 270,280,08, or 06.
lot of nice lookin rifles
[Linked Image]

I just recieved the stock back from Karnis. Mounted a vari-x III 2.5-8 in talley lows. Have yet to shoot.
Good looking stock, how much for the refinish and pad, if you don't mind my asking.
Looks very nice jwood
700 stainless Classic .257 Roberts in MR stock with 2.5-8 VXIII. It looks wet because I bought one of those Outers silicone rags, and I think it was overly "wet".
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My little 7mm-08... [Linked Image]
thought somebody would post a picture of the new mountain rifle SS by now still cant find one in local shops gonna get one in 30-06
This is my custom mountain rifle. 7MM Remington Magnum that has been lightened and muzzle break added. Recoil is about like a 25-06. I'm planning on taking it on a elk hunt next year.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
You can't beat the lightweight 700s from 223 to 375h&h.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My little 7X57. ctsmith I like that rifle!

[Linked Image]
Ti Stock arrived today for my 260 . [Linked Image]
280 edge ! [Linked Image]
Nice pair D. Whats the stock on the .260?
Ti Stock thanks
This one was originally a 270, but now has a King 257Roberts bbl.

[Linked Image]

Currently sits in a TI.

[Linked Image]
No pictures of the new mountain rifle?
25-06. B&C Alaskan stock. Leupold M8 6X36 and a set of Talley LW Extra Low. Took the factory BM off and installed a Kwik Klip assembly.

[img:center][Linked Image]
25-06 003 by Brant Lindquist, on Flickr[/img]
260 Faux Ti.
[Linked Image]

Stock Ti in 300 Shamwow.

[Linked Image]

OEM Mdl Seven SS in 7 Shamwow with Edge Mountain Rifle stock.

[Linked Image]
Picked this ti 708 up Monday . Added MCM, Mtn, rifle edge 2.5-8 weighs 6lb 1oz real sweeeet ![Linked Image]
Originally Posted by DavidontheRidge
Picked this ti 708 up Monday . Added MCM, Mtn, rifle edge 2.5-8 weighs 6lb 1oz real sweeeet ![Linked Image]

That looks like perfection. Change out the firing pin assembly for an aluminum one and the trigger guard to aluminum if you haven't already and you'll have an even 6 pounder. If that thing shoots that's about the holy grail of mtn rifles and it should wink
Been there dun that ! And it is A real shooter first group nickele size . I am one happy camper !
I wish I had one to post pics of frown
Picked this ti 708 up Monday . Added MCM, Mtn, rifle edge 2.5-8 weighs 6lb 1oz real sweeeet !

Nice..so that means you've prolly got an old nasty B&C Ti take-off stock laying around. I might know a fella looking for one.......(hint)
7mm08 Mountain Guide bought here on the Fire. Have had the VXIII 2.5-8 on it since the day I bought it...

[Linked Image]

Shoots like this without any work:

[Linked Image]
Does Ti mtn and Kampfeld mtn count?

[Linked Image]

Was ask how they shoot, dunno killed everything fired at with a single bullet no group to measure smile
Originally Posted by Les7603006

smile smile smile it came today. Mountain Guide 243
[Linked Image]
slap ya a set of Talleys on that puppy...
Nice rifles im so close to pulling the trigger on a new ss mountain
16bore, Talley's on order

Pseshooter, grab one if you get the chance. If this one shoots as good as it feels, I might be dumping my Montana for another MR
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Picked this one up at a local pawn shop a few years ago, intention was rebarreling it to .250 Savage. Ended up buying dies for it, took it on an antelope hunt in Wyoming where it took 5 antelope (3 for me, 2 for brother in law), and haven't really touched it since. Nice gun, I just have some others I like better. Really is a shame.

Here it is the way it came from the pawn shop, topped with a Vari-XII 3-9x40. 7-08.
[Linked Image]

I have the exact same rifle that I bought new many years ago for a local dealer.....should use it more than I do, very accurate!

smile smile smile it came today. Mountain Guide 243
[Linked Image]

Looks real good !
Thanks David. How close are you to Rome Ga?
My 7x57 "campfire" Mountain rifle!
[Linked Image]
It's not engraved "Mountain Rifle" but not counting the 600, it's the lightest in the safe. Plain Jane SPS 243 with TLW's purchased from a fellow campfire member. Robbed the VX3 off the 600, shot three groups to check the 105's, bedded the action and shot three more to find the load.

I guess I am looking for another donor now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks David. How close are you to Rome Ga?

Around hour and half drive .
Received mine yesterday. Now if can only find some Talleys local.
Gun shop called they just got one in 308 Win. went down and put it on layaway gonna pick it up tomorrow
Picked up my 308 mountain SS today put a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40mm that I had layin around got 4 different boxes of ammo and the gun loves the Nosler 165 grain Accubonds. try to figure out to post a picture
[img]http://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=8156429922[/img]

Could not obtain Talleys local.

[img]http://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=8156429922[/img]
Good looking gun ts300 you figure out how to post pics?
Here's faux TI MR in 22/250.

[Linked Image]

30-06

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
snowwalker- is that the new mountain ss ? I just got one in 308 and it loves 165 Accubonds. what scope you got on yours? I put a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40mm on mine
Just a VX1 3-9 I took off an encore. Started with running 165 AB's over 55.6 gr IMR4350. Got dark on me so I couldn't shoot a group nor chrono after I got it on paper. Recoil was much less than expected, maybe my load is anemic.
I think it is the latest version; it will wind up at Bull Mtn Rifles in Billings for at least a Mickey game scout or rem classic later. I thought hard before getting the 06 and not 308. Still wondering if I should have gone 308.
Ya i was wondering about recoil on the 06 in this gun
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Whats the weight on the McSwirly MR stock?
[Linked Image]

Rem700 in 7-08

B&C Ultralight stock

PT&G aluminum triggergaurd

Gre-Tan shroud ass'y

Leup 2.5-8 in Talley LW's
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SuperSeal110
[Linked Image]

What's the mix on this stock? I don't usually like the McSwirlys, but I do like this one.

Paul
KS "Mtn Rifle" in 280Rem

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SuperCub
[Linked Image]

What's the mix on this stock? I don't usually like the McSwirlys, but I do like this one.

Paul

Thats an Ontario-legal stock.

[Linked Image]
As far as she's gotten and likely far as she'll go this year with load development. Really liking the weight on this rig.

[Linked Image]
Mine has started to show its age a little now. First gen Ti in 308 with a 2.5-8 VX3. I have a lower set of Talley rings on the way grin

[Linked Image]

I have had a few PMs about the stock. I don't know who originally made it. It was a ebay buy years ago for a rem 712,722,700ADL long action according to the ad. It was foam filled with a single layer of fiber glass over the foam. Had a sheet metal trigger guard/bottom metal. I have cut it in about every direction possible and glassed it back together over the years. It isn't perfect and gets tweaked a little when ever I fill like it but for the $25 buck I spent I'm happy! The whole package right now is only 5lbs 4oz.

[Linked Image]

Paul

50/50 org/blk.

I've had a handful of same color fig and this one has been the best I've seen.
One more....Lolo Pass. First run in the outdoors for this one.

[Linked Image]
really alot of great lookin rifles
I put this in the fencepost thread, might as well put it here.

243AI Mountain Guide

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Thats an Ontario-legal stock.

Yup .... Orange is manditory here in NB as well, and not a bad idea either.

we need some more pictures posted
Worth a repeat, now to go ping something with it........
[Linked Image]
3 of mine........a 7-08 Ti, a 270 KS & a 280 MR re-stocked & dressed up.

7-08 Ti

[Linked Image]

270 KS, Cerrokoted
[Linked Image]

280 Rem MR, dressed up & Cerrokoted
[Linked Image]

280 MR dressed up & Cerrokoted

[Linked Image]

7-08 Target
[Linked Image]

280 Target w/140's

[Linked Image]

280 Target w/120's

[img]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/baw0000/p1010592Medium.jpg[/img]
MontanaMan what stock is on the 280
Last day of deer season today, and I wanted another doe for meat. 270/130 IL/60 gr H4831SC. I love my MR. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

AWESOME!

DMc
superseal110 tell us about the camo gun
McMillan Gap camo! Awsome looking rig!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by yeselk
[Linked Image]

Whack em' and stack em! cool
Originally Posted by ctsmith
[Linked Image]

Damn I love those brown Micky stocks!! As soon as this years elk hunt is covered,I'm ordering one of those babies. NICE!
alot of great lookin guns
Tag
The Twins:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G1 Ti 30-06 and Ti Alaskan 300WM both waiting on McMillans.

If I had a 243 I would be in Ti heaven!
[Linked Image]
270 Ti
Black Cerracoat
Leupold 6x42 with CDS
Very nic eall of them!
Those right there I like a lot especially the 30-06 hunting probably cause I have one like it
I wish I had a TI Alaskan in 300 Win mag.
Anyone here with a Remington model 7XCR?
lots of great lookin rifles
Great pics of some great guns!
Bumping for a buddy. Good looking rifles for sure.
Bring it up for Mountain Rifles

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Good thread
700 MR long action retubed to 257Roberts

[Linked Image]
Any other mountain rifles to show?
Kind of a home made version built in the mid 80's.
Standard M700 ADL 30-06 satin blued. BDL bottom metal added. Custom syn stock.
Weighs 7 1/2 lb all up.
[Linked Image]
Guess this qualifie as a Mtn Rifle - 7MM-08

[Linked Image]
Nice rifles guys! Where are you finding these mountain guides?!
i have two both wood/blue. i have a 30-06( 2.5-8 leup) that i have had for a long time has accounted for several elk. I have a .280 ( 3-9 nikon) i just got; wondering on what powder? H4350?
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

[Linked Image]

What stock is on that rifle?
[Linked Image]

Plain old OEM version. I think Remington does laminated better than most.
Originally Posted by K1500
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

[Linked Image]

What stock is on that rifle?

That's a 1st Gen Ti in a factory stock, but I just had it painted by a fellow campfire member, never can leave a black stock alone:)

[Linked Image]
It looks like this thread has been on hiatus for too long. Last year at a LGS, I noticed a 1993 stainless Remington Mountain rifle for sale for $400.00. It had a beat up Tupperware stock; I offered $350.00 and they accepted it. I figured I would see how it shot and would re-barrel it if necessary. I took it up to the range and it shot 1.5" groups, so I decided to make it into a lightweight elk rifle.

I ordered a Bell and Carlson stock, had the bolt fluted and skeletonized by Kampfeld, ordered an aluminum bolt shroud, and a lite steel firing pin from Gretan.

I bedded the recoil lug and free-floated the barrel. It now consistently shoots the 130 grain TTSX less than an inch. Here's a pic of it on a cow elk I took the other day.

It weighs 6.5 pounds as shown with Talley lightweight rings and a 2x7 Leupold scope. Best of all, it's chambered in the hard-to-find .27-300 DCI.

Attached picture Rem Mountain Rifle 2.jpg
7-08 M700 Mountain.
[Linked Image]
243 Mtn Guide
[Linked Image]
I found one of the wood stocked DM mountain rifles today on consignment for 850...brand new
Originally Posted by drakecasey
It looks like this thread has been on hiatus for too long. Last year at a LGS, I noticed a 1993 stainless Remington Mountain rifle for sale for $400.00. It had a beat up Tupperware stock; I offered $350.00 and they accepted it. I figured I would see how it shot and would re-barrel it if necessary. I took it up to the range and it shot 1.5" groups, so I decided to make it into a lightweight elk rifle.

I ordered a Bell and Carlson stock, had the bolt fluted and skeletonized by Kampfeld, ordered an aluminum bolt shroud, and a lite steel firing pin from Gretan.

I bedded the recoil lug and free-floated the barrel. It now consistently shoots the 130 grain TTSX less than an inch. Here's a pic of it on a cow elk I took the other day.

It weighs 6.5 pounds as shown with Talley lightweight rings and a 2x7 Leupold scope. Best of all, it's chambered in the hard-to-find .27-300 DCI.

Hmmmm....Pics didn't post as I wanted so I'll try it again.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice rifles
My old but improved Minigun

[Linked Image]

7-08

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Top rifle is my SS LH 700 Remington in .280....bottom is the wife's Kimber in .308.
Top rifle is my SS LH 700 Remington Mountain rifle in .280....bottom is the wife's Kimber in .308.

[Linked Image]
Lots of nice rifles
700 Faux Ti 30-06 sage green

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Older tan Faux Ti also in 30-06

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here....in the Eastern Cape of South Africa near the Kei River Mountain range

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I know its an old thread. I also know mountain rifles are being bought and put together lets keep it going folks.
Just found this thread, I'll try to get some pics up.

Father bought me a 270 adl mountain stainless synthetic when I was 14, pretty much all I hunted with for the past 25 years. If I'm not mistaken, the adl mountains are fairly rare (not that that means anything, I think it was a special run in the early 90s). Gun kicks like a mule.

A year or so ago, I ran across a wood/blued 308 mountain rifle. I think the lgs just thought it was a old school full size bdl and didn't know what they had. I think I dated it late 80s. Anyway, I completely redid the stock, bedded the action, installed a new pad, timney trigger, cleaned up the metal to almost new, topped it off with a 2-8 nikon monarch. Its a sweet setup.

Ran across another wood mountain rifle in 280 in a rough part of town pawn shop couple weeks ago, about the same era as the last one I found. It was topped off with good steel rings and bases and a gloss leupold vx2. It was tempting but if its around next time I check that store out it may come home. Wasn't too out of line, marked 650, but you could easily take 100 bucks of it. Buddy picked up a early 90s marlin 39 that had some of the best walnut I've seen on one, $389....it was still there from where he looked at it 6 months ago.

.257 Roberts

[Linked Image]
Sitting here looking over this thread again. Some nice rifles. Wondering if the new Remington Rifles will have a mountain rifle model.
Very nice rifles. I like old threads, check out who posted on them years ago.
7mm-08 in McMillan Mt Rifle pattern, with 50:50 black & white. Bolt worked over by Karl. Leupold 2.5-8 in Talley LWTs. PT&G bottom medal and a Montana Sling.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Love it!!
Originally Posted by JRS3
7mm-08 in McMillan Mt Rifle pattern, with 50:50 black & white. Bolt worked over by Karl. Leupold 2.5-8 in Talley LWTs. PT&G bottom medal and a Montana Sling.

I like your Custom 700 a lot. Except the bolt handle, I'm too old fashioned and though it may be more functional aesthetically I don't care for them. your rifle is near perfect for 90% of the hunting most of us do.

By the way that's an impressive buck, especially if you got that in Florida, The background looks like Florida. Congrats on a heck of a trophy.
Remington 700 BDL 6mm Rem my Son with his first Big Game Antelope 15 inch and a Mule Deer I bag with it. My first Big Game rifle I bought as a teenage I worked all summer to buy it.

Attached picture B0B33200-681D-4C1E-8F5E-DAE4E526430B.jpeg
Attached picture A44E0188-84A2-440A-AC67-6DD268E18991.jpeg
While not a factory Mountain Rifle it does have a McMillan Mountain Rifle stock.
23" 9 twist Shilen #2 in 280AI. Metal is nitrided.
7 lbs 2 ounces with a 3.5-10 Leupy in Talley LW's.
I put this together 10 years ago along with a near matching left hand version for my son.
The barrel is Mtn.... Frankin 270.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by rembo
While not a factory Mountain Rifle it does have a McMillan Mountain Rifle stock.
23" 9 twist Shilen #2 in 280AI. Metal is nitrided.
7 lbs 2 ounces with a 3.5-10 Leupy in Talley LW's.
I put this together 10 years ago along with a near matching left hand version for my son.

That's about perfect!
Dug my mountain rifle out and got it sighted in. Who else is hunting with there mountain rifle this year? Better yet who has acquired/built mountain rifles as of late.
No mountain rifles being used I reckon. Sure do like mine.
Some pretty sweet rifles on here gentelmen.
Originally Posted by RoyalKnight

Oh I’ll be out there with one of my five M700 Mtn. Two factory rifles, one faux rifle with factory takeoff bbl, two custom barrels in Mtn contours.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Oh I’ll be out there with one of my five M700 Mtn. Two factory rifles, one faux rifle with factory takeoff bbl, two custom barrels in Mtn contours.

I'm wanting to put a couple together. I have a original factory floorplate wood blue in 270 win.
Well dang... i guess I will have to dig mine out of the far back reaches of the safe.... 1988 BDL version (wood with drop floor plate and black tip on the stock) in 30-06. I might even take that thing hunting this year

I'm wanting to put a couple together. I have a original factory floorplate wood blue in 270 win.

Originally Posted by Sako
Well dang... i guess I will have to dig mine out of the far back reaches of the safe.... 1988 BDL version (wood with drop floor plate and black tip on the stock) in 30-06. I might even take that thing hunting this year

How do these rifles shoot? Thinking about picking one of these old original ones up in 270 in the wood stock.
Remington 700 Mtn 257 Roberts McMillan Edge PT&G Bottom Metal TriggerTech Primary Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 4A in Talley Lows. The rifle loves Accubonds, but the deer don’t!!
280 Rem [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Dug my mountain rifle out and got it sighted in. Who else is hunting with there mountain rifle this year? Better yet who has acquired/built mountain rifles as of late.

I'm taking Plain Jane on a cow elk hunt in December. She always comes through.
^^^That'll work. Blacktailer, what stock do you have on that?
Originally Posted by sqweeler
280 Rem [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Looks like my stainless ‘06 but mine has a matte black Leupold on it. Carries well in the mountains.
Originally Posted by Futura

How do these rifles shoot? Thinking about picking one of these old original ones up in 270 in the wood stock.

I have the exact rifle. Mine is a 1987 model. Shoots well. Carry's like a dream.
I thought the original ones with the laminate stocks was the nicest Model 700 package ever made.. Especially the short actions in 243, 260, 7/08.
and 257 Roberts, 6.5 x 55 and 7 x 57 in a long action....

I have the exact rifle. Mine is a 1987 model. Shoots well. Carry's like a dream.

I ended up getting it. I’ll see how it shoots in the morning. This one the prior owner seems to have gone with about the heaviest possible scope mount. I’ll see how it does as is. I’m thinking about getting different mounts and putting a lightweight Leupold 4x Compact on it. Has a 2-7 Redfield Lo Pro on it now.

Originally Posted by salt_fork
^^^That'll work. Blacktailer, what stock do you have on that?

That's a Brown Prec with rattle can finish.

R700SS, Rock #2 1-8”twist (0.75” shank) 6.5CM throated for 147s. McMillan Edge fill SA Mountain Rifle pillar bedded. Trigger tech trigger. PTG BDL bottom metal. Sightron Big Sky 4x16-42 in Talley 20MOA intergral mounts. Put together by Shaen, who I couldn’t recommend more.

I am due to send it back to McMillan for a fresh paint job and a red recoil pad….

Actually this is it with the 20MOA talleys.
Older 243... A gem I wish I didn't sell
Newer 7mm-08 mountain rifle with manners eh8 and bolt work by lri.....also wish I still had it

I ended up getting it. I’ll see how it shoots in the morning. This one the prior owner seems to have gone with about the heaviest possible scope mount. I’ll see how it does as is. I’m thinking about getting different mounts and putting a lightweight Leupold 4x Compact on it. Has a 2-7 Redfield Lo Pro on it now.

I like that Redfield. I’m looking for another one.
Originally Posted by dakotakidd
Older 243... A gem I wish I didn't sell
Newer 7mm-08 mountain rifle with manners eh8 and bolt work by lri.....also wish I still had it

Good looking rifles! I like that eh8 stock.
I hope my buddy lets me buy his. I love these rifles. Besides my Kimber, these fit me the best.
No more mountain rifle builds or anyone aquire any lately
No more mountain rifle builds or anyone aquire any lately

I'm not sure if I've posted this .308 or not. Had a few mnt rifles through the years and this is the best one yet. Sporting a cute little short-tube 1.75x6 Leupold.

[Linked Image]
My 700 Mountain DBM in 260 Rem last weekend.

Beautiful buck!
I have a walnut 257 Roberts, a walnut dm 260, a walnut 308, a walnut 7mm Mauser, a walnut 280. I also have stainless/laminate guns in 7/08, 30/06 and a 30/06 titanium mountain rifle and a 270 stainless adl mountain rifle in a ti take off stock. The 280 started it all for me around 1999.
Originally Posted by tas6691
My 700 Mountain DBM in 260 Rem last weekend.

Heck yea!!
Faux TI 700 long action in 257Roberts.

Here’s a pair of them. Both left handed KS Mountain rifles. 300 H&H and 375 H&H. Both are factory.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Originally Posted by mart
Here’s a pair of them. Both left handed KS Mountain rifles. 300 H&H and 375 H&H. Both are factory.

I didn't know the KS came in a 300H&H. I have a KS 7mag here that might get a 300 bbl. Nice rifles.

I didn't know the KS came in a 300H&H. I have a KS 7mag here that might get a 300 bbl. Nice rifles.

It wasn't offered in 300 H&H. When I ordered it I asked the custom shop if they would chamber one for 300 H&H. They said sure. I believe it to be the only factory left handed KS Mountain in 300 H&H.

Both the KS dogs will hunt.

2020 Caribou - 300 H&H and 220 Partition

2021 Caribou - 375 H&H and Speer 235 grain Hot Core

It wasn't offered in 300 H&H. When I ordered it I asked the custom shop if they would chamber one for 300 H&H. They said sure. I believe it to be the only factory left handed KS Mountain in 300 H&H.

That 300magnum is very cool. That was a question well worth asking.

Did they use the std. KS bbl contour on that?
Yes. The same 24” barrel they would have used on a 300 Winchester.
Yes. The same 24” barrel they would have used on a 300 Winchester.

Thanks .... I was checking the contour on that 7mag KS I have here and thinking it would be a bit light for a 300mag. if I had it duped to fit the stock. Not much room on that stock for a heavier contour.
I could be wrong but I’m thinking they probably used the same contour for a 7mag and a 300. I’ll measure my muzzle and let you know.
I could be wrong but I’m thinking they probably used the same contour for a 7mag and a 300. I’ll measure my muzzle and let you know.

Will do same later after work. Thanks
My 300 is .642 at the muzzle and .736 at the end of the fore end.

The 375 has the same measurements.
Those are all mag contour ks barrels.
Not a factory Remington Model 700 Mountain rifle, but MY Rem 700 7 mm RM rifle that I put into a Weatherby Vanguard Griptonite stock, and that I hunt with in the mountains.

ny
My 300 is .642 at the muzzle and .736 at the end of the fore end.

Mine is 0.648" @ the muzzle and 0.734" @ the forend.
I thought they probably used the same contour for all the magnum rounds. My 375 on that contour doesn't leave any doubt that it went off.
I keep coming back to this thread!!! looking at putting a 7mag mtn rifle together

[Linked Image]

My wife has one almost exactly like that, different scope. Shoots great!!!
My first mountain rifle was a 280 Remington - one of my favorite cartridges. It was the least accurate 700 I ever owned. One of the previous owners magma-ported it. I stayed away from Mountain rifles after that. That is until I found a nice 7x57 Mountain rifle. It’s a real sweet rifle - accurate and light. With TTSX bullets it knocks deer down fast.

I blame that magma-porting for the piss-poor accuracy on the 280.

I found a ss 270 barrel on E-bay for $100. It was supposed to be unfired. I unscrewed that 280 barrel and screwed on the 270 barrel. That is now my favorite 270. The last elk I killed was with that 270. But I wouldn’t hesitate to take that 7x57 hunting for a cow.

As I retire my bigger boomers I may buy another mountain rifle if I can one in good shape.
Just looked back over this entire thread. What a great looking bunch of rifles!
Amazing that the bolts haven't fallen off and the Walker triggers haven't exploded! ....grin....
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Amazing that the bolts haven't fallen off and the Walker triggers haven't exploded! ....grin....
I know right! wink
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Yes there is some fantastic rifles on this thread!
Factory 7mm-08 Mt. Rifle dropped into a McMillan Mt. Rifle Stock with bolt customized from Karl.

I need to dig all of mine out, take a new pic. I’ve acquired more, sold a couple. I can’t say off hand how many I have now, have more 700’s than anything else. The Savage 99’s are catching up.
I have the three 7mm chamberings as well as a 270 and 30-06. I like them!
Factory 7mm-08 Mt. Rifle dropped into a McMillan Mt. Rifle Stock with bolt customized from Karl.

This rifle and picture is so awesome!!!
Ok then, I've had this Rifle since 1985 +/-, and now for the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say...... cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool

Attached picture LJ's Remington M700 30-06 Mtn. Rifle (01).jpg
Attached picture LJ's Remington M700 30-06 Mtn. Rifle (2).JPG
Attached picture LJ's Remington M700 30-06 Mtn. Rifle (03).JPG
Attached picture LJ's Remington M700 30-06 Mtn. Rifle (6).JPG
Attached picture LJ's Remington M700 30-06 Mtn. Rifle (8).jpg

This rifle and picture is so awesome!!!

I agree. Great Ga deer and a dandy looking rifle. Yes even Georgia boys use the word dandy….but they learned from their Midwest buddies😂
I am pretty new here and am enjoying these threads. I have a NIB Mountain Rifle 7X57,22" bbl. 1982, i just stuck it back and forgot about it. I have a 1981 Classic that i use for my shooter. I can't believe it's been over 40 years. I have always believed that 7X57 round was a lot better than a lot of people thought. What do you guys think that old rifle might be worth now? Not selling, just for reference.
Nice!
Originally Posted by Beard
I am pretty new here and am enjoying these threads. I have a NIB Mountain Rifle 7X57,22" bbl. 1982, i just stuck it back and forgot about it. I have a 1981 Classic that i use for my shooter. I can't believe it's been over 40 years. I have always believed that 7X57 round was a lot better than a lot of people thought. What do you guys think that old rifle might be worth now? Not selling, just for reference.

Might check the date on that 7x57; ‘82 predates the intro by a few years.
Just got this on screwed together and sighted in. It’ll find a pork chop prop when then weather cools down.

Lss
Gre-tan
TT trigger
Trijicon
Mcmillan
Cerakote

Very good shooting gun.I’m on the fence on keeping it or a fieldcraft in 06 im thinking about cutting and threading.

Attached picture IMG_7915.jpeg
Mountain rifles, to me is the handiest hunting rifle. Well in North Georgia it is!!! lets see the new ones acquired or built. How about some game photos took with mountain rifles like a few past pictures.
My 700 Mountain Rifle collection consists of only 2 so far. An early model 280 Rem and a 270 win DM model.
© 24hourcampfire