Home
Posted By: Dess Lefty in a Righty World - 07/16/11
This is for the lefty's out there. I'm looking in getting a new 30-06. I grew up using an Enfield .303 and I've shot more than my fair share of animals.

For those lefty's who have switched to a left handed rifle, was it worth the effort? Pros vs. Cons?

I learned on a right handed bolt rifle, but left handed rifles are a little tougher to find and compare.

Part of me thinks that since I'm not inclined to take iffy shots in the first place, a quick follow-up shot isn't that big of a deal. I do have a left handed Remington 870 that I love because I don't have empty shells ejecting in my face.

However, life is too short to use something that doesn't suit me.

I'm looking to spend around $600-700 on a rifle, and haven't even thought about optics......yet.
Posted By: WinModel70 Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/16/11
I too grew up shooting RH rifles. I bought a LH rifle and that is all I want to shoot now. I don't take my RH rifles hunting anymore (except for my pre-64 M70). To me, LH rifles just feel better and are much easier to handle.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/16/11
Your bolt action rifle is one area where I personally would not compromise.
There are plenty of good choices for us lefties.

In your price range you can easily find a LH Savage or a LH 700.
Even a Tikka if you can stomach one.

Get a lefty, you'll be happier.
Posted By: podunk Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/16/11
I must be the odd ball.... grew up shooting righties "backwards" handled my first lefty a while back and didn't like the way it felt.
Posted By: eddief Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/16/11
Used to do the right hand rifle thing left handed. Went left hand rifles a while back and sold every right hand rifle I had.

Best move I ever made...bad move for buddies that used to love buying my righties when I would sell.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/16/11
Being A southpaw is why i grew up liking lever rifles and pump guns, i wouldn't walk in the woods today carrying a right hand bolt gun. I would rather hunt with a pistol, but since i have number of LH rifles I'm as happy as a fly on a new pile of chit
Posted By: swervinbob Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/16/11
Due to a facial nerve problem, I switched to lefty. I'm still using right handed bolts now, but the next one will definately be a lefty. Or another lever-action.
Off the bench, a right hand bolt isn't so bad. In the field or on a stand it's another story. Left hand all the way.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/16/11
Since you are right hand and using a Left Hand rifle give the Browning Short or Long Trac LH BAR a look. You can shoot from your Left and no worry about being right handed. I like the one i have in 308 Win

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...-shorttrac-left-hand-oil-finish-firearms
Posted By: abbydog Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/16/11
I finally bought a lefty two years ago after using RH bolt action or semi's. I have found more LH guns from various manufacturers this year than past. May be the economy or awareness.

Now I have the Blaser or Merkel bug and will probably buy a Blaser this year.

Posted By: smithrjd Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/16/11
My son is a south paw, and grew up shooting my right handed bolt rifles. He did just fine with them, but I could tell he felt they didn't feel correct. Bought him a Tikka T3 in 270W when I found some on sale. He loves that rifle and will never go back. They are out there, and sometimes cheaper than a right handed rifle. Often see left handed rifles at gun shops cheaper than the same rifle in right hand. Only thing I have seen is less of choice in calibers.
Posted By: swervinbob Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/16/11
I find that I use proper form shooting lefty. So, I just switched full time to left handed. Now I just pick up a rifle and go straight to my left shoulder. But since I switched, I've probably shot 1000 rounds through all of my rifles left handed getting used to it.
Damn!!! I guess I'm the oddball, in a pile of oddballs!!!

I've shot right hand guns from the left side all my life. Both Rifles and shotguns. NEVER been a problem. I have tried a couple of left handed rifles, a Remington 700, and a Winchester model 70, and ended up selling them both.

Someone made the comment that when they used a right handed rifle, they tend to be a little more diligent about taking a shot due to the fact they can't get a quick follow up shot. I do agree completely with that statement. I know the thought is always in the back of my mind that I've got one chance to make the perfect shot, and to be honest, I think it tends to make me a little better shot when shooting game.

As far as autoloaders go, both rifles and shotguns, again, a righthanded gun has never been a hinderence. I've hunted for YEARS with both a Browning A-5, Benelli's, Remington 1100's, and not once do I remember EVER seeing a spent shell casing crossing my field of vision. I'm looking at the birds, barrels, not the receiver. The ONLY issue I've ever had using a righthanded autoloader is with a .22 rimfire. Every once in a while, one of them hot little casing bastards seem to find their way down the front of my shirt.
Hmmm. veddy interesting grin
Posted By: Bull_Elk Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/16/11
I started with LH bolt guns and even though over the years I picked up a couple RH's I still prefer LH bolts for a couple of reasons. If I'm carrying the rifle in a sling over my left shoulder, I don't care to have a bolt handle jabbing me in the side all the time and the stocks with the rollover cheek pieces fit differently depending on which side you use. Now, I will admit I have a RH 700SS 338 RUM that I'm infatuated with but if someone were to offer to trade me straight across for the same rifle in a lefty, I'd probably do it in a hearbeat.

Shotguns are a different matter. For years, I shot trap with RH 1100's and empty hulls flying by my face don't bother me.
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/17/11
I've always shot lefty. And I've always used left-handed rifles, even back in the 70's when they were a lot scarcer than they are today. I've used 760's and 7600's and 742's and 1100's with left-handed safeties installed, and Marlin lever actions. But my bolt guns all have the bolt on the left side.

I'd look at a Savage or a Tikka. Remmie, Browning, and Sako also put out lefties. Remmie and Savage also have custom shops, if you feel the need.

Another option is a single shot like a Ruger or a Browning.
Make mine LH. Have sent enough RH lead downrange and, for the past 20 years, can afford to do it right ...life's too short.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/17/11
I grew up watching my father shoot 03a3 Springfields and Mausers. From the bench I enjoy right handed rifles, especially military ones, but for hunting make mine left handed. It is a little frustrating that not every model is offered in left handed form (though there are more options now). I have always lusted for a Remington mod. 7 carbine in 7mm08. Many of us are forced to re-barrel to get what we want. I also used to shoot a lot of right handed shotguns, Remington 1100s and 870s but have purchased a few left handed models after seeing an 1100 come apart on the skeet field. My friend shooting it was pretty lucky only cut his supporting hand when the fore arm disintegrated, but a lefty would have gotten a face full.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/17/11
Another lefty here that only owns left handed rifles. After I graduated from college, and could finally afford a LH rifle, I happily took the plunge and never looked back. I can't see how a lefty could do it any other way.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/17/11
Originally Posted by Dess
This is for the lefty's out there. I'm looking in getting a new 30-06. I grew up using an Enfield .303 and I've shot more than my fair share of animals.

For those lefty's who have switched to a left handed rifle, was it worth the effort? Pros vs. Cons?

I learned on a right handed bolt rifle, but left handed rifles are a little tougher to find and compare.

Part of me thinks that since I'm not inclined to take iffy shots in the first place, a quick follow-up shot isn't that big of a deal. I do have a left handed Remington 870 that I love because I don't have empty shells ejecting in my face.

I'm looking to spend around $600-700 on a rifle, and haven't even thought about optics......yet.
I'm a LH.. And I shoot RH rifles 99% of the time.. The two LH rifles I own feel really awkward to me...

Just my .02
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Dess

I'm a LH.. And I shoot RH rifles 99% of the time.. The two LH rifles I own feel really awkward to me...

Just my .02

I'm in the same boat. Probably going up chit creek too crazy
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/17/11
Originally Posted by Redneck

Just my .02

If you've been wearing your shoes on the wrong foot your whole life it'll feel awkward when you finally put them on the correct foot. grin
Add me to the list of shooters who got rid of all their right handed guns (except for my bench gun)
I'm even more lucky in that my GF also shoots lefty.
Posted By: BIGR Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/20/11
All my bolt guns are right handers. Over the years I tried to make the first shot count since I knew the follow up shot would be slow with a right hander in my left hand. I have often wondered about switching to a left hand bolt gun. If Winchester would just go ahead and make the Extreme Weather, Model 70 in a lefty version I would jump on it. Anyone have a clue if that might happen?
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/20/11
Yes is feels right, no more shifting hands or reaching over. I found it real hard to bolt a new round in without taking the scope away from your eye. As much as I love the pre-64, I sold it to a bud and bought this. However my bud? Yep. he is a lefty too, says he'll never part with said Winchester. We both came out happy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BIGR Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/21/11
Nice rifle Barkoff.
Posted By: TXDOGDOC Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/21/11
I learned to shoot as a kid with RH bolt rifles - bought my first LH rifle about 5 years ago and I will never go back and would never think of buying a RH rifle again.

I too am disappointed we southpaws dont get all the choices from some of the choice manufacturers - but you can find great LH rifles out there in good all around calibers

Buy a LH rifle and start a new addiction!

Complain to all the rifle makers and maybe we will get some choices back - I would love if Sako started making the LH rifles again. Real Sako rifles not these Tikka things or whatever you call them
Posted By: Bull_Elk Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/21/11
Originally Posted by TXDOGDOC
I would love if Sako started making the LH rifles again. Real Sako rifles not these Tikka things or whatever you call them

+1

One of my rifles that I'm fondest of is a LH Sako 338 that I dropped into a McMillan stock. I love the feel and sound of the action... and accurate - it's a whole lot better than me but I've made some shots with it that have even surprised the you know what out of me.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/21/11
lefty...only own lefty bolts.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/21/11
Ruger #1. The ultimate lefty/righty rifle........I'm Righty, my son and grandson are lefties......
Posted By: TXDOGDOC Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/21/11
I have LH Sako in 25-06, 338WM and 375H&H - I love them all!!
Keep looking for more - would love to have a 270 or 300 Weatherby, they also made a 416 Rem for a while that I would love to get my hands on
I sure do like that Number 1 but even that has a minor wrinkle for left handers.

The receiver is built up on the left side so when you try to push in a cartridge with your thumb it is more difficult, especially when you have to reach under a scope. A rightie can push it all the way home unimpeded.

Once again, southpaws get the short end of the stick. cry

Oh, well...
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Lefty in a Righty World - 07/21/11
The only left handed gun I ever owned was a muzzleloader. I don't like the hammer popping a cap right at my nose. I now use an inline, so that one doesn't really count anymore. Left handed guns feel just as backward to me as to right handed shooters. Whatever you get used to I suppose.
© 24hourcampfire