Home
I am hoping you guys can help me narrow down my choice for a hunting rifle shooting factory ammo.

I am looking to purchase a Practical/Mountain rifle. In the 6-8 lbs range I am primarily looking for a .30 cal the choices are 30-06 or 300WSM. I have a 308 tac rifle but it weighs 15 lbs and I am getting tired (read older) humping it through the bush

This will be my North American Big game rifle. From moose on down to white tail, I have no intention at this time to hunt the big bears. I will be hunting From BC to Quebec and the northern US states.

I am initially looking at Tikka but others have suggested the Winchester M70, or other options

I my put a brake on it for recoil management and follow up shots where needed.

I do not plan to reload for this rifle I already have my plate full for reloading for comps as I spend 1,000 of rounds down range in various disciplines. So factory ammo offerings are the preferred choice. If you have a favorite factory ammo choice I am all ears.

Let me know your thoughts and why you chose what you did.

Thanks
Trevor
How about a 308 in a lighter rifle?

Here's my recipie.

Take one Youth model 700 in 308, it will come with a 20" barrel that's of standard contour weight.

Add a Ti take off stock, Talley's, a 6x36 Leo w/dotz and rock on..

It's cost effective, handy and for me incredibly user friendly.

Just a thought.

Dober
Winchester Featherweight in 308 or, better yet 30/06. Scope it with a mid range 32mm objective lens variable scope of good quality and you are there. Done. Finishimo. It really is that simple. No need to overthink it or subject yourself to an ugly, soul-less rifle with a plastic stock wrapped around a sheetmetal tube push feed action.
Mark's idea is the way to go IMO...

Howver, if you realy want it easy, pick up a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in .308 or .338 Federal and mount a scope.

What Dober said.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
How about a 308 in a lighter rifle?

Here's my recipie.

Take one Youth model 700 in 308, it will come with a 20" barrel that's of standard contour weight.

Add a Ti take off stock, Talley's, a 6x36 Leo w/dotz and rock on..

It's cost effective, handy and for me incredibly user friendly.

Just a thought.

Dober

Interesting rig. How does it shoot?
I've been around a couple set up this way and they shoot balls out (that's good right...grin).

Dober
Remington XCR-II in .30-06.
Kimber 8400 Classic in .300 WSM or 84M in .308. You may prefer the Montana, but I have to recommend the Classic, as I just can't handle the looks of anything other than a wood stock. I'd like to take a look at the 84L as well, but haven't seen one yet.

A 2.5-8x36 Leupold or something in that size/weight range in the magnification of your choice would top it off nicely. My Kimber .300 WSM wears a 2.5-16x Bushnell Elite 6500; not a lightweight scope, and it doesn't seem too top-heavy, so you can get away with a bigger scope if you so desire.

I also like the Winchester Featherweight, but the Kimber's a bit lighter.
The tikka in a 30-06 is going to be VERY tough to beat for a "practical" mountain rifle imho. It's light, accurate, and reasonably priced.

I can't like the looks of them at all, but if you don't suffer my vanity then I don't think you could do any "better" with a choice.

Dave
i prefer wood/blue, so i suggest a mod 70 featherweight in either 308 or 30-06. mount a good 4x or 3-9x40 and shoot fed premium 165gr partitions in the 308 or fed premium 180gr partitions in the 06'. one man, one rifle, one land! jones used a 700 adl in 06', but you could do the same thing with the mod 70 in 308. whatever you select, good hunting.
What I'd consider ideal might not suit you, but I'll try.
Until you get some experience hunting in the mountains, I'd suggest a standard classic sporter by a major maker that feels good to you with a basic, simple scope.
It needs, most of all, to be something you can shoot well from field positions, standing included.
Contary to the beliefs of some, it doesn't not have to be, or even is desirable to be really light, nor does it have to be chambered for some howling magnum. Nor is it a great idea to mount a fancy scope on it with three adjustment dials. I know hunters who use all of the above and use them well, but I'm of the opinion that most of us do quite well, at least until we get some real experience, with standard sporters chambered for standard cartriages and basic scopes or modest magnification.
As to chamberings, the .308 and the 30'06 have all sorts of high quality ammo that will handle your hunting chores.
After you get some time out there, you can decide what or where you want to go in this area.
BTW, alot of these standard setups are usually pretty easy to tweak for really good performance in the field. That thought can save you lots of money in the long run. E
30-06 is the easy choice.

Ruger Mark II or Hawkeye stainless synthetic
Remington 700 ADL synthetic or stainless SPS

Leupy 4x scope matte duplex
Talley Lightweights in low
Trevor,

It seems that Rem's (700 types) get suggested quite a bit on some forums. I find the design second rate. Its cheap in every way including looks. They have cheap extractors, cheap ejectors and even the locking lug section of the bolt body is brazed on!

Look at rifes that have three position safeties that control the firing pins. Such designs include the Kimber 84M and 8400's and Winchester M70's. Rugers are well made also however the safety does not control the firing pin when in the middle postion.

My current hunting scope is a 2.5x10 B&L 4200 all those other high end scopes the B&L Tac 10 and Nightforces are set up on custom guns. I shoot out to a 1,000 durin the season and compete in other disiplines that incorporate movers. I may lack mountains climbing proficencies, but as I hunt primarily Northern Ontario any destination trips can be planned ahead and the needed cardio accounted for.

the caliber choice is based on short barrels,availability and KE to drop game. MY current 308 has a 26 inch barrel so dropping 4-6 inches would lose velocity and FOR ME suggests a little bigger cartridge might be a good fit... commonality of the 30-06 or 300WSM is for far off places where in the event an airline loses my ammo I can walk into any local store and pick up some in my caliber. shooting a 270WSM or a 280 are not as common and stores may not carry them.

Rifle selection is also based on availability the TIKKA and Sako are highly promoted and they seem to be quality firearms the others less so. (this is where everyones imput is valuable). all the other bells and whistles are nice to have but not needed

There is a Sako AV in 30-06 used that I am keeping an eye on but have not committed to still gathering info.

Please keep your comments coming

Trevor

P.S
One more point as this is a hunting rifle that will see 2-4 weeks out of a year usage there would be far fewer rounds down range against my other rifles. A simple rifle that wroks well and need little maintaince is desirable. If it shoots 1moa out of the box with facotry ammo it is good to go.

Originally Posted by Swampman700
................Available at Walmart???? laugh
Savage 99-yepper the QC is so much better @ Kimber... grin

Dober
Not everybody "takes" to the Tikkas but this stupid little T3 Lite stainless .308 with a Loopy 2.5-8 VX-III I got on sale when the VX-3's were taking over has made shopping for another rifle really tough from a "practical" standpoint. Other than visual sex appeal it does just about anything I could ask for in a light rifle at a sane price for NA hunting.

Dober

I doubt that you have any manufacturing Quality Control experience.

The Kimber design is better in most ways. That's what I described. The design.
I don't go by the design, I go by field reports, what works, what gives issues etc is what I go by....

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that they've had their QC challenges.

Dober
How about a Remington mountain rifle LSS in 30-06 or a Remington model 7 CDL in 300 WSM or 350 Rem mag?
I don't go by the design, I go by field reports, what works, what gives issues etc is what I go by....

Dober

Well put, hard to argue that.
In the 6-8 lbs range I am primarily looking for a .30 cal the choices are 30-06 or 300WSM

I have a Sako A7 with Talleys and Leupold VX3 3.5x10 CDS that weighs exactly 7 lbs.

I put a limbsaver on it and that really takes some out of the punch you get.
You wouldn't need a muzzle brake.

Originally Posted by Trevor60
rifle shooting factory ammo.

I am primarily looking for a .30 cal the choices are 30-06 or 300WSM. Thanks
Trevor

Trevor,
I have a Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM. It shoots factory Federal 165 TSX 5 shot 300 yard groups of about 2 1/2". An excellant choice it feels and handles very lightly and I had a "LimbSaver" brand recoil pad installed and it really absorbs well. I am a small frame guy of 5'-8" and with the LimbSaver I can shoot 40 rounds from the bench without a sore shoulder the next day!

I wouldn't get a muzzle brake, as they can cause permanent hearing damage. Even if you use it at the range with muffs, are you going to wear them when hunting? Not to mention the effects on your hunting companions or horses that may be near you.

If your not going to hand load, I would advise against a 30-06 because of so many older rifles in circulation, some of the factory ammo is pathetically weak. From a 200 yard zero, I was shocked at how much a factory 30-06 Hornady 165 grainer dropped at 300 yards.

You mentioned a M70 which I happen to love but, compared to a Tikka they do feel a bit heavier. Still either would be an excellent choice IMHO.
Happy Hunting
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Dober

I doubt that you have any manufacturing Quality Control experience.

The Kimber design is better in most ways. That's what I described. The design.

Design might be better but the execution is lacking . What good is it if it doesn't function or does that not matter?.
Kimber did have quality control issues...at least in my case. My 84M Classic Varmint in .22-250 had feeding and firing pin issues, both of which were corrected; one by the dealer and the other by a call to the Kimber Custom Shop. The issues were enought that I was ready to completely swear off Kimber, as I thought (and still do) a thousand dollar rifle should WORK, right out of the box.

However, after a few years to simmer down, and no issues, I really liked the fit, feel and look of the rifle, and it functioned flawlessly. So, when I came across a trade deal on a used 8400 Classic in .300 WSM, I, with some hesitation, decided to give Kimber another chance. I really like this gun and haven't had any functional issues.

I don't know if the company has fixed the QC problems, or if I got lucky on this one.

If they do have issues, Kimber makes it right, and once fixed, my rifle was as good as any other I've ever had.

I still recommend them, knowing if you do happen to have an issue, they'll take care of you.

...but I just wish they'd have gotten it right the first time. That'd make me a whole lot more confident in shelling out the money for another.

Originally Posted by SU35
In the 6-8 lbs range I am primarily looking for a .30 cal the choices are 30-06 or 300WSM

I have a Sako A7 with Talleys and Leupold VX3 3.5x10 CDS that weighs exactly 7 lbs.

Excellent idea!

Dober
Originally Posted by SU35

That would be my choice for an outta the box Mtn rifle that won't break the bank.

MtnHtr
Im a Rem guy at heart, but I am gradually adding some kimbers to the team. I started with a Montana 30 Gov't '06. It shoots fantabulous, its light, and easy to carry.

I just added a Mont. in 260 Rem. It's waiting to be shipped off for a paint job and some cerakote. My MK V 257 WBY UL hasnt been out in 4 years now. If I were in the market for a light, easy to carry, do all rifle it would be the Kimber Montana hands down (in a 7mm of some sort).

Joseph
I am hoping you guys can help me narrow down my choice for a hunting rifle shooting factory ammo.

I am looking to purchase a Practical/Mountain rifle. In the 6-8 lbs range I am primarily looking for a .30 cal the choices are 30-06 or 300WSM. I have a 308 tac rifle but it weighs 15 lbs and I am getting tired (read older) humping it through the bush

This will be my North American Big game rifle. From moose on down to white tail, I have no intention at this time to hunt the big bears. I will be hunting From BC to Quebec and the northern US states.

I am initially looking at Tikka but others have suggested the Winchester M70, or other options

I my put a brake on it for recoil management and follow up shots where needed.

I do not plan to reload for this rifle I already have my plate full for reloading for comps as I spend 1,000 of rounds down range in various disciplines. So factory ammo offerings are the preferred choice. If you have a favorite factory ammo choice I am all ears.

Let me know your thoughts and why you chose what you did.

Thanks
Trevor
............For follow up shots, do ya really think you would need a brake on either a 308, 30-06 or 300 WSM?

The definition of a practical mountain rifle would be best determined with how you plan to use it. What terrain? Mountains mostly? Flatter terrain? Lots of bush and timbers? Primarily a hiking rifle? Shorter to medium ranges? Longer ranges?

I`d be looking at rifles approx 41"-42" long or less chambered in cartridges which would do all of that comfortably (ease when hiking, short and longer ranged shooting, in the bush, timbers, flat wide open terrain, so that you`ll be well covered in any situation.

The Tikkas which were mentioned (if you don`t mind their receiver looks and detachable magazines) are a fine choice.

The 20" barreled Ruger U/Lite chambered in the 30-06?

22" barreled Remy M7 or Browning chambered in the 300 WSM?
There are lots of choices you could go with.

But since you asked what we did? What I did and currently use more often than my other two, certainly isn`t conventional and would not be preferred by most if not all. What I wanted was a lighter, fast to target, short and handy piece, which at the same time is very capable of a 500 yard bull elk shot should that be needed in open country.

Because it isn`t a problem for me, I chose to let the cons of extra noise/blast and recoil fall by the wayside. My thinking is that when on a hunt, the actual shooting time is only a split second, but carrying and doing everything else with a rifle is many hours each day.

My little handy 35.5" OAL 300 WSM Frontier compact, is probably one of the more obnoxious, noisier rifles around. In the field, my Walker Game Ears do the job very well. At the same time however, I have 24" barreled `06 performance w/factory ammo (2800+ fps 180 gr) and can get even better velocity and accuracy results with my reloads. Like for example, a 175 gr VLD @ 2973 fps? Yep!

Regardless of terrain, it is one of the sweetest handy/carrying rifles to take on a hunt, and yet is powerful enough to take down any NA big game.

If you don`t mind the extra noise where it "wouldn`t" be a shooting hindrance (recoil and flinching) and prefer better manuverability, handiness, carrying ease etc, a similar themed powerful, short barreled rifle in another rifle brand might be your ticket. 300 WSM Ruger compacts were discontinued.

Anyway, that`s what I did. It is obvious that I and maybe a few others here and there, don`t always follow the conventional theme songs or the conventional ways of thinking......crazy crazy crazy

Trevor I'm not surprised you are getting tired humpin that thing around! cry grin

Remarkably archaic,hopelessly retro,and as inspirational as watching grass grow.....but i would get a pre 64, Classic, or SC M70 FW chambered for 30/06 Springfield and drop it in a McMillan, Brown Precision, or Bansner stock.

It would have cross slot format bases (lightweight),and two scopes set up to allow for wierd contingencies in remote places.

Reasons?

Try 74 years of consistent, reliable and pretty much fool proof service in the game fields of the world,taking everything from the pachyderms on down on every continent on the globe.

I can think of many things that would suffice for the use, but seriously doubt there has ever been anything better for the stated purposes.

And if you think there IS anything better,you are in need of deep therapy grin
Bob-IME and IMO your way is by far the best, I was just trying to save the dude some coinage..grin

Dober
If I was going to have one rifle for the whole continent, it would be a M70 Extreme Weather in .30-06 with a VX3 3.5-10.
How about finding a M70 Lightweight Carbine in 30-06, 20" barrel, put it in a McM Edge and add a Swaro Z3 3-9x36? That might be a nice package.
Just get a Stainless Rem mountain rifle in 30-06, dump it into a Medalist of your choice, add a little Devcon, scope it the way you like and rock on.
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

They don't carry them but they can order them, and they are less expensive than anyone else.

They don't carry them but they can order them, and they are less expensive than anyone else.
............And there`s a Wal-Mart right down the street from me too!

Ooops! Walmarts don`t sell rifles here in Caleeefornia???

I`ll stick with my dealer. He sells rifles like 375 Ruger Alaskans and Africans, 338-378 Bee MK5s, plus many more rifles other than the Walmart puzzy-fication specials, where the close-minded `ol buzzards go to buy their more boring 270s and 30-06s....... laugh laugh laugh
He sells rifles like 375 Ruger Alaskans and Africans, 338-378 Bee MK5s,

Perhaps you could order an accurate rifle through Bud's.
Dober: I figured.... grin
Factory tubed Remington 700 mountain rifle (replace shroud and trigger guard) and thrown in a McMillan Hunter's Edge. All up with Leupold 2.5-8x.

This one is a 243 but make it a 7mm08 or 308 and rock on, or run a 243 or replace the tube and make it any dang thing you wish that will fit a short action.

[Linked Image]

forget the brake

Dober

Field reports! Some folks could not aim or load a gun well so they have problems.

I own five Kimbers. They all work well. I had the stock off of the 270 WSM the other day and I put a shim under the front ring. It shot better at the range after that.

I have been tuning guns since 1957.
The Kimber design pleases me.

To each his own.
270 Win mod. 70. Use factory 140gr TTSX
Be a patriot and buy an American made rifle. I'm sure that Tikka's are fine rifles but they don't keep American manufacturing jobs going. I would find a nice SS Model 7 or 700 in 300SAUM. Plenty of power for anything you want to hunt. But that's just me. Since you are recoil sensitive I would opt for a 7mm-08 SS model 7 or 700. There are many factory ammo options for the 7mm-08. If you can't get it done with these stock factory rifles you shouldn't be doing it. Of course if you are a rifle looney like most of us here, go ahead and start swapping stocks, special barrels, paint jobs, and on and on and on. LOL!
If you're going to stay American, then go Montucky wink
He sells rifles like 375 Ruger Alaskans and Africans, 338-378 Bee MK5s,

Perhaps you could order an accurate rifle through Bud's.
...........Nope! The three that I have already are accurate enough! Veeeeedy accurate!

I`d be looking at rifles approx 41"-42" long or less chambered in cartridges which would do all of that comfortably (ease when hiking, short and longer ranged shooting, in the bush, timbers, flat wide open terrain, so that you`ll be well covered in any situation.

The Tikkas which were mentioned (if you don`t mind their receiver looks and detachable magazines) are a fine choice.

But since you asked what we did? What I did and currently use more often than my other two, certainly isn`t conventional and would not be preferred by most if not all. What I wanted was a lighter, fast to target, short and handy piece, which at the same time is very capable of a 500 yard bull elk shot should that be needed in open country.

Because it isn`t a problem for me, I chose to let the cons of extra noise/blast and recoil fall by the wayside. My thinking is that when on a hunt, the actual shooting time is only a split second, but carrying and doing everything else with a rifle is many hours each day.

My little handy 35.5" OAL 300 WSM Frontier compact, is probably one of the more obnoxious, noisier rifles around. In the field, my Walker Game Ears do the job very well. At the same time however, I have 24" barreled `06 performance w/factory ammo (2800+ fps 180 gr) and can get even better velocity and accuracy results with my reloads. Like for example, a 175 gr VLD @ 2973 fps? Yep!

Regardless of terrain, it is one of the sweetest handy/carrying rifles to take on a hunt, and yet is powerful enough to take down any NA big game.

If you don`t mind the extra noise where it "wouldn`t" be a shooting hindrance (recoil and flinching) and prefer better manuverability, handiness, carrying ease etc, a similar themed powerful, short barreled rifle in another rifle brand might be your ticket. 300 WSM Ruger compacts were discontinued.

Anyway, that`s what I did. It is obvious that I and maybe a few others here and there, don`t always follow the conventional theme songs or the conventional ways of thinking......crazy crazy crazy

Hey Big Squeeze that is an interesting idea. I checked out the frontier and found the barrel to be 16.5 the rilfe looked good upto that point i have a 18.5 barrel restiction (gov rules) so that won't work for me but the Ruger Haweye MKII was the selected rifle for the Search and Rescue guys so they seem to think it is a stable platform.

I to wear game walker hearing protection so muzzle blast would not be an issue.

I do see most are telling me NO brake. either because of hearing, point of aim shifts or other concerns. the Mil/LE guys i know always have brakes even on the 308's so i am fine with or without.

I would prefer low maintenance and do not have a preference for plastic or wood stocks it simple needs to handle and shoot well.

this well be a function over fashion type of gun.

Trevor
I'd go with a Kimber Montana in 308.
Or if you prefer blue/wood, a Classic or classic select in 308, or a new 84L in 30-06

Those would all fit your requirements.
Clearly accurate enough for you, isn't accurate enough for me.
I never knew boodie shooting demanded so much accuracy?

Let's see that pic of the 14 yr old dink, shot thru the rump roast, laying dead in a golf cart, with a guy standing next to him holding a rifle with the sling on backwards.

You are a hoot Swampy!
...........How would you know how accurate mine are or aren`t? You don`t own, don`t reload for, haven`t seen, nor have you fired MY rifles.

That`s right Swamp. You always assume the worst about other rifles that you have never seen or touched.

But since you prefer one holed groupings from your rifles (GOOD LUCK) for hunting, then perhaps you can tell us all when the last time you attached a paper target on your quarry in the field and attempted to shoot some groups?

Because ya see Swamp, unless you are a match shooter shooting a match rifle, then all your ravings about Ruger in-accuracys from their rifles, which were manufactured in years past before Ruger made their own barrels,,WHICH btw WERE THE "ONLY" RUGERS YOU ADMITTED TO HAVE EVER OWNED,,is a ridiculous and absolutely worthless argument.

Since you have no intentions to buy a "new" Ruger for yourself, reload for it and then test fire it for accuracy, then your arguments and opinions, "AS USUAL" leave alot to be desired.

Hey Big Squeeze that is an interesting idea. I checked out the frontier and found the barrel to be 16.5 the rilfe looked good upto that point i have a 18.5 barrel restiction (gov rules) so that won't work for me but the Ruger Haweye MKII was the selected rifle for the Search and Rescue guys so they seem to think it is a stable platform.

I to wear game walker hearing protection so muzzle blast would not be an issue.

I do see most are telling me NO brake. either because of hearing, point of aim shifts or other concerns. the Mil/LE guys i know always have brakes even on the 308's so i am fine with or without.

I would prefer low maintenance and do not have a preference for plastic or wood stocks it simple needs to handle and shoot well.

this well be a function over fashion type of gun.

Trevor
....18.5" minimum barrel length uh? I guess they figure that over in merry `ol England, that a rifle with a 18.5" tube can do the job, but one that has a barrel 2" shorter cannot?

Welcome to the world of over-regulation. Rampant here in the states too with just about everything thanks in large part to our,,,,,"Idiot" and Chief that occupies the White House.
Whoops! Thought you lived in England. Quebec instead? Oh well. Still the same over-regulating bullcrap!
My advice is to avoid a Montana like the plague. BTDT. My newest is a Win. Extreme Weather .270 WSM. The scope is a Leupold, 2-7x and for big game, I don't see the need for anything with more power. In addition, I've had my smith install a set of open sights on this rifle for backup should something happen to the scope. Understand, our hunting trips are of extended duration so if something should happen to the scope, I won't be S.O.L. I've just finished working up a handload for this rifle and it's a reliable 1 MOA firearm out to 300 yds. which is the length of our local range.
I think you should look at the Extreme Weather in your favorite flavor and go from there. Don't think you'll be disapointed. Good Luck.
Bear in Fairbanks
There is an incredible amount of knowledge here,I have had a-bolts, model 70's and 700's all shot good but I stopped after I got my tikka t3 lite in 30-06 easy carry/handling, smooth bolt and shoots sub sub moa.
Originally Posted by byd
There is an incredible amount of knowledge here,I have had a-bolts, model 70's and 700's all shot good but I stopped after I got my tikka t3 lite in 30-06 easy carry/handling, smooth bolt and shoots sub sub moa.

Yep, same here including some Rugers - most of them worked real well. I stopped with Big Green myself though I like Winnies too. May try a Sako next.

Funny how the peanut gallery is though..........

MtnHtr
Find yourself a clean used 700 KS in 30/06 and preferably in stainless steel and you're done. Reliable, portable and very accurate.
I'm quite pleased with my Montana. Pretty much an ideal mountain rifle by my way of thinking. Just pick a suitable cartridge you like. This one happens to be a 338 Fed. Even have a choice of bullets pictured (180 BT, 185 TTSX, 210 Scirocco II, and 210 Partition).

[Linked Image]

This will be my North American Big game rifle.

I am initially looking at Tikka

Thanks
Trevor

You hit the nail on the head. ALWAYS go with your gut instinct.
The Ruger stainless is the best value for what you're looking for.
You already got some good rifle suggestions, if you go 30-06 and are looking for good factory ammo you'll have tons of great choices. My personal favorite is Federal's loading of the 165gr Seirra GameKing. It's shot very accurately in three different '06s I've tried it on and has worked wonderful on game taken from 10 to 200 yards.
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
[quote=byd]There is an incredible amount of knowledge here,I have had a-bolts, model 70's and 700's all shot good but I stopped after I got my tikka t3 lite in 30-06 easy carry/handling, smooth bolt and shoots sub sub moa.

Yep, same here including some Rugers - most of them worked real well. I stopped with Big Green myself though I like Winnies too. May try a Sako next.

Funny how the peanut gallery is though..........

MtnHtr[/quote

x3 Tikka t 3 lite stainless 30 06

I can only WISH my Rem M700 .30-06 shot nearly as well as ANY of my Rugers - M77 or MKII or even #1 variety.

Wishes won't fix it, though, and the Remmy is headed to the smith to get bedded next month. If that doesn't fix it, a new barrel will be next. Should probably just cut my losses and trade it for another used Ruger.
Find a Weatherby Vanguard Back Country.
I bought one NIB a year ago and I love it.
Here's the skinny:

Designed for hunters trekking rough terrain in high altitudes, the Vanguard Back Country weighs in at a meager 6 3/4 pounds. The rifle�s stainless steel metalwork and fluted barrel are bead blast to a matte finish, eliminating game-spooking glare while helping to resist the ill effects of rain or snow.
Pillar bedded for improved accuracy, the Back Country features an Ultralight composite stock. To reduce felt recoil, the stock is butted with a Pachmayr Decelerator pad.
This model features Weatherby�s famous Monte Carlo design for quick eye-to-scope alignment and faster target acquisition.
The rifles are available in right-hand models and measure approximately 44 or 44 1/2 inches (depending on caliber) in overall length. They have a length of pull of 13 5/8 inches. The Back Country�s drop at comb, 3/4 inch; drop at heel, 1 1/2 inches.

Weatherby Vanguard Back Country 30/06. New In Box. 24" Stainless Fluted Barrel, Synthetic Stock Bolt. This rifle has it all, many features only found in a custom rifle. Weatherby quality at a very affordable price. Specs from Weatherby--Factory Tuned Fully Adjustable Trigger � Ultralight Raised Comb Monte Carlo Black Compo Stock with Grey Spiderweb Accents � 24" Cold Hammer Forged Pillar Bedded Stainless Steel Fluted Barrel � Pachmayr� Decelerator� Pad � Cocking Indicator � One-Piece Hinged Floorplate � Fluted Bolt Body with Gas Ports � Fully Enclosed Bolt Sleeve � One-Piece Machined Bolt � Integral Recoil Lug � Massive M-16 Style Claw Extractor � "Three Rings of Steel" Create an Extra Measure of Strength and Structural Integrity � Guaranteed From the Factory to Shoot a 1 1/2" or Better 3-Shot Group at 100yds.

They're good looking, too:

[Linked Image]

P
i bought a marlin xs7 in .308. i had the barrel cut to 20" and recrowned. i bead blasted the gloss stainless finish to a matte stainless. the rifle looks and shoots great for under $500!
Kimber Montana, 300 WSM. Done.

Rem 700 XCR Iin 30-06. Done.
Ruger Compact Magnum...about 6 1/2 lbs., iron sights, and a 20" barrel.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Remarkably archaic,hopelessly retro,and as inspirational as watching grass grow.....but i would get a pre 64, Classic, or SC M70 FW chambered for 30/06 Springfield and drop it in a McMillan, Brown Precision, or Bansner stock.

I can think of many things that would suffice for the use, but seriously doubt there has ever been anything better for the stated purposes.

Exactly.
The Kimber Montana is a great rifle and would work for what you're wanting.
Originally Posted by blargon
If I was going to have one rifle for the whole continent, it would be a M70 Extreme Weather in .30-06 with a VX3 3.5-10.

That right there would just make life so much eaisier wouldn't it grin. That's going to be my next rifle (exactly). Now for the OP's question. Most know me as a model 70 and CRF kind of guy but let me take a little different turn since he's asking for a light weight, practical mountain rifle. Looks like he's set on using that 2.5-10 B&L ELITE 4200 (which I don't blame him for wanting to use on a nice hunting rifle). Keeping weight down with the scope he's wanting to use he could go with the new savage light weight hunter (around $800.00). The 30-06 weighs in around 6 pounds so with that scope you're looking at 7 pounds all up for an accurate right out of the box rifle. I do like bobinNH's idea but it may get a little spendy going that route blush
© 24hourcampfire