Home
Dreaming about a new 7WSM for hunting out west. I have heard really good things about both rifles, which would you choose?

NULA, probably would want a model 28
http://www.newultralight.com/HTML/custom-rifles.html

GAP, Non-Typical
http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2011-custom-rifles/ga-precision-non-typical.html

I'm tending towards the NULA because of the light weight, but my ultimate goal is a really accurate rifle that carries easily. Thanks!
If I did a NULA I'd do a 20, but that's me.
Can you get a Model 20 in 7WSM? I assumed you had to go with a 28 if you wanted a WSM?
If I was going to spend $3K with Mr. Forbes, I'd do it via NULA/CLR hybrids.

$ 500 - CLR donor (basically the NULA 24)
$ 500 - NULA SS barrel ($450 for CM)
$ 450 - NULA stock
$ 165 - Timney trigger & NULA safety
$1,615 plus shipping/insurance

Maybe a matched pair in 6.5-06 & 338-06.

JEff
No experience with the GAP but plenty with the NULA. My pop ordered 2 more of them this year, they should be arriving any time now and he's in his seventies, that will make 4 NULAS in his stable of rifles. I handload all his ammo for him and can say from first hand experience that they are very high quality, frighteningly accurate, easy to carry and a joy to shoot. The next custom I order will be from Mel also. Give Mel a call, he will answer everything you want to know about his rifles.
JMHO,
BD
Having one of each myself I would say get one of each and you won't be disappointed. grin
I assume you intend to go to a 28 SHORT for a WSM. In any case the NULA is about a pound and a half lighter than the GAP (5 lb-12oz vs 7 lb-3oz). That's a big difference if you want a light rifle. I'd go NULA.
I've got 6 NULA's and no GAPS.

But I love my NULA's. They are extraordinary rifles, and dealing with Mel Forbes is a real pleasure.

Steve
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll throw in a plug for my old buddy, George Gardner. GAP rifles have a steller reputation for accuracy and craftmanship.

He sent me a Non Typical in .300WSM last summer for T&E.....I have told him I'm not quite done testing it and it may take several years.....grin!
Are you opposed to just having one built with the exact components you desire?

It will be less expensive and exactly the way you want it.
Honest question...what about Kimber Montana with an aftermarket barrel? Still come in half the price of a Nula.
Neither the stock or action would be as nicely made. Whether or not that makes any practical difference is another question.
NULA all the way. Great rep for accuracy and strength. You could build for less money but if you ever sold that you'd lose money. Not to say you're guaranteed a profit on a NULA but it is a known commodity and will keep it's value far better than a custom build.
DocGlenn,

I went with the NULA from Melvin. He is a great guy to deal with, and stands be hind his rifles.

My first was a ULA I bought from him in '93, and I sent it back in '06 for a check up.

jim
Originally Posted by DocGlenn
Can you get a Model 20 in 7WSM? I assumed you had to go with a 28 if you wanted a WSM?

No, you can't.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I'm with you. Model 20 in a 7mm-08 or Creedmore would be great.
I found I couldn't shoot a 5 pound NULA well. But I do shoot a 6 pound Remmy very well. The GAP is more intriguing to me than a NULA, in a 260.
The action used in the 7WSM NULA is the 28S. Handy combo and good choice.

I don't know anything about the GAP NT but would also do a test drive happily!
What Lawdwaz didn't explain is that the 28S is a Model 28 shortened to fit short-fat magnums. It weighs about 24 ounces, as I recall. It was originally developed to work with the 6.5 and .350 Remington Magnums, but works fine with the WSM's and SAUM's too.

NULA's are typically VERY accurate. My beat-up old NULA .30-06 will still put five shots into two inches or so at 300 yards with the right load, even though the barrel isn't quite what it used to be. It was originally ordered by a gun store in Germany, so has the tiny red-stag proof mark on the barrel. I am going to run the original barrel as long as possible before giving up that funky little stamp!

While I haven't fooled with a GAP, I've heard great things from people I trust. Like NULA's, they appear to be great bargains in a world where synthetic-stocked rifles are often priced for 2-3 times as much, or even more.

The choice to me would come down to how light a rifle is desired. I still haven't found any other lightweight rifles that beat NULA's for toughness, balance and consistent accuracy.
John,
I know that you know NULAs. I was wondering that for a dedicated sheep rifle in a NULA which flavor would you prefer a 257 Roberts,
257 Roy or a 270 roy.

Sincerely,
Thomas
John,

What would you think of a NULA/CLR hybrid, either with the original Colt/Saco barrels in 270, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, or 300 Win Mag or with a new Mel Forbes installed NULA barrel, stock, and trigger for $1600+/-? I'm waiting to receive a CLR in 30-06 and am thinking that a NULA stock, SS barrel, and trigger/safety upgrade to 256 Newton might be $1,065 well spent.

When I spoke to Mr. Forbes on the telephone, he told me that he, personally, does most of the work on the NULA/CLRs, which I assume is a good thing.

JEff
Of those three chamberings, it would be a hard decision between the .257 and .270 Weatherbys. Might also go for a .264 Winchester--or a .270 Winchester!
Or a 280AI... One could get tired of waiting for a Kimber 84L Montana and go with a CLR/NULA hybrid for just a little more $$...
Thanks for the info. I need to call Melvin and get his take on the 7 WSM vs. the .284 win in his rifles. The lighter recoil in the .284 win might be better suited for a lighter rifle than the 7 WSM would be. Something to think about anyway!
Less is often more.
Doc-sounds like a couple of nice choices. I've never had a Gap in my paws so can't comment about them them. Have handled and shot the NULA and that I can likey.

Keep in mind I rarely do things the way others would but, I'd go with a NULA with a #2 barrel on it cut to 23"(could cut to 21" if it didn't quite feel right). Cals, well tons would work but would most likely gpo 284. Also, the 7/08, .260 or .270 would rate a thunk from me. But for some reason or another I'm fairly sure I'd go .284 with tiger stripes on it..grin

6x36 Leo w/dotz and you're golden!

Best of luck to you in your decision.

Dober
Pat let me paw some of his stash.

Those GAP rifles are slick. I'd love to have one in 308 or 300WSM.
Clue me in here, what is the CLR?
Colt Light Rifle
I haven't even handled, let alone hunted either rifle. But I can tell you that it is possible to go too light for some types of hunting. I've got four custom built rifles. Based on my experience in the field, I really don't want anything lighter than 7 lbs. That's empty and w/o it's sling. I am not a long range type hunter.
I've noticed is that when it comes to settling down for a longer shot, weight helps alot. Ditto for trying to shoot with your heart pounding and/or when you are out of breath.
NULA rifles stike me as first class, all around sporters. The GAP strikes me as a light version of a long range, precision rifle.
So the question would be, what sort of shooting do you do when you hunt ? Or, as has been said, how light does it need to be ? E
Thanks for the info. I need to call Melvin and get his take on the 7 WSM vs. the .284 win in his rifles. The lighter recoil in the .284 win might be better suited for a lighter rifle than the 7 WSM would be. Something to think about anyway!

I am assuming your chasing elk, because of the desire to have a WSM caliber. Why not consider a Model 20 in a .338 federal? That will steam roll Wapiti.
Both nice rifles (obviously)but I have not owned either one.

I'd get a NULA in 7WSM or 270.
A NULA in a WSM wouldn't be my first pick, just can't warm up to a magazine only holding 2 rounds...

No doubt Melvin is a great man, have enjoyed picking his brain in the past, and nearly pulled the trigger on a NULA. However, I have a GAP non typical on order right now. Let the painful wait begin! wink
My ultimate goal would be a long range/elk capable rifle that weighs less than 8 lbs locked, loaded and ready to fire. I'm looking at a 20oz S&B scope for it, so I'm by no means looking for an Ultra-light rifle, but i don't want to tote a 10lbs plus rifle (which is what I have now). Borden Rifles has been brought to my attention, and I think deserves some serious consideration. I think the GAP will probably lose out on weight, but they are certainly a fine rifle from what I've read.
Doc-to what kinds of ranges do you practice on a weekly/monthly basis and how far are you capable of killing game at?

Thx
Dober
You have the money - the obvious answer is one of each. Nula in 243 or 260 and gap in 300 wsm
8lbs all up is quite easy to build. M700 w/ Ti flutes and skeletonized handle, Callahan SL, Talley LWs, #2 of your choice, and a Ti stock pillar bedded. Coat however you want and drop whatever trigger you like in it(however the old triggers are quite nice for a hunting rig when adjusted properly). I'd rather have 7.5 to 9 than lighter myself, much easier to hold steady in an intense situation.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

+1 for the lighter weight.

I have been lucky enough to shoot both. For long range the GAP would be hard to beat because of the extra weight and stability. But for hunting where you carry the rifle for miles just to get a shot, the NULA makes alot of sense.
As I get older I am liking lighter rifles for just that reason, and I can still snap it to my shoulder at the end of a long hike to get that quick shot that the 8-9 pound rifle, unless very well balanced, will not alow.
As someone else said, if you have the money, buy both and use them alternately when conditions favor one or the other. Or try each for a year then sell the one you use less. Not like either one will lose much value during that time. smile

Can almost guarantee that Melvin will steer you toward the 284win.....
Mark,
I can shoot out to 300yds at home and can get to longer distances at a range about an hour from the house. The place that I hunt mule deer lends itself to longer shots and that is my interest. I took my deer last year at 429 yds, broadside, no wind, Styer 7WSM & NF scope (10+lbs), prone w/ bipod and rear bag. I'm lucky in that I can shoot pretty much anytime I want to, and I'll usually shoot 1-2 times a week when it starts to cool off a little more. I can't really imagine shooting at an animal over 600yds away. I'd like to be able to make the shot I made last year and do it with a 7.5 lbs rifle if that makes sense.
Jeff,

Somehow missed your post yesterday.

I'd sure go for the half-breed .256 Newton. The CLR action is similar enough not to make any difference. The safety, barrel and stock are far better on the NULA.
DocGlenn,

I've made several 400+ yard shots with my .30-06 NULA, no problems. It weighs 6-1/2 to 6-3/4 pounds, depending on the scope, and I haven't had any problem shooting it from a steady rest.

One of the nice things about NULA's is that the light action allows at least a medium-contour barrel while still retaining the light overall weight. The stock helps too. Consequently the balance is more forward than in most other light rifles.
I just wish I had the money for both.....with this economy I'm looking to sell 3 rifles just to get 1 back!
Thanks for the info John. First-hand experience is much appreciated!
Glenn
John,

Mr. Forbes recommended a 24" 1-8" ROT $2 contour barrel for the 256 Newton. He suggested 26" if I was going to go with the 6.5-06 and bullets over 140 grains, but I'm thinking that another 256 Newton would be fun, since it has the perfect case capacity for a non-magnum long action .264" bore, even if the cases are a PITA to make.

JEff
The thing with GAP, they can do whatever you want. If you want a lighter rifle you can go with a thinner barrel, Edge stock, and talley lightweight rings. That'll definitly get the weight down. Borden also has a great reputation and builds a pretty light rifle. Out of your choices I don't think you can go wrong, except the caliber. I prefer the 7saum wink.

Also, GAP typically uses cut rifle barrel in 5R, or whatevery you want to call it, configuration. I believe (not positive) Rock at one time, Oberymere now. NULA uses Douglas barrels. I don't know if that means anything to you.

One last thing, I have a Weatherby ULW in a 30-06. It shoots just fine and I get tiny little groups out of it. But I don't think I would want it any lighter. It just doesn't hold as steady and a little more finicky on how she's held compared to my other rifles a few ounces heavier.

Forgot to mention that I have a GAP and played with a NULA. That action on the NULA is pretty trim and sleek compared to the Surgeon RSR my GAP is based off from. Have not played with a Borden yet. Good luck with your choice, it's a hard one but I don't think you'll be upset either way.
Have Mel build you a rifle, you will not be sorry. I don't know GAP and I never shot there rifles. I have shot and owned one of Mel's. These days I am think about a NULA 20 in 250-3000, since all I do is shoot white tails these days. It depends on really what you want from a rifle. NULA's are a good value for what you really get. While I would love to hunt with a Legend from D'Arcy Echols but its a lot of money for one of those. Besides Mel is a great guy to do business with.
I could live with a GAP Non-Typical in any SA caliber and be pretty happy with it.
I would do it in this order:
Send GAP a donor M700 Stainless action with a McMillan stock and have them re-barrel and true the action.

If money were no object, but it always has been for me:
I would buy the NULA M28 in 7mm WSM or 300 WSM for a general all arounder.

The GAP would make a nice varmint or antelope rifle.
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I would do it in this order:
Send GAP a donor M700 Stainless action with a McMillan stock and have them re-barrel and true the action.

I've thought about doing this myself. It would make for an $1,800-$1,900 rifle that would likely shoot with the best of them and retain a lot of value as a GAP build. This assumes that they provide the barrel, do the chambering, blast it instead of coating, and do all the bedding work. You would just provide the donor action, appropriate McMillan handle, trigger, and bottom metal. Last I heard, if they do the barrel work and all the bedding work, then they stamp it as a true "GAP build". I'm not one to be hung up on labels and logos, but their mark would be nice to see on my rifle. (grin)
I have always been bent to the 6.5mm cartridges, and I would go with the Mod 28S and the 6.5 Rem Mag if I were ordering a NULA today. I copied John B's rifle specification when I asked Melvin to build my .30-'06 with a 24" #2 contour Douglas stainless barrel.

I prefer factory cartridges to wildcats now, even though the 6.5 Rem Mag is barely hanging on the the factory label. wink

jim
© 24hourcampfire