Home
Posted By: raybass Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/22/11
I am not actively searching just yet but I am seriously considering a buildup from a pre-64 action. So far cartridge wise I think a 270 winchester will fill the bill. I am looking for ideas though. This is thrown together but build idea so far:

Pre-64 action
Barrel: short shank #2 @ 23"?
McMillan Edge or Echols Legend w/edge tech
Bottom Metal (factory) or Non
Weight: 7.5 lbs. or less?

I also thought about just getting an FN Model 70 Featherweight and sticking it in an edge.
The 270 Winchester choice is not set in stone, I just don't need a magnum, want a 375 H&H but will probably go Whitworth. I'm curious if the build idea is sound, if not point me in the right direction.

Ideas, pictures, anything would help. Goal is the ultimate hunting rifle, as far as carry weight, shootability, reliability and accurate. Focus on elk size game and smaller.

FYI I have 0 experience at builds.
Little yellow slip in the mail box this evening tells me my rifle is waiting for me at the post office.

It's very similar to what you are thinking about. 1941 M70 with a 23" Rock #2 280Ack in an Edge. Don't recall what I asked the shank to be cut at? .75-1"? Factory bottom metal.

I'll post some pics after I pick it up.
Posted By: CFVA Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/22/11
Not trying to be a smartass, but why not just buy a pre-64 Fwt in 270 and swap the stock?
Have you considered getting a stock Featherweight pre-64 270 and dropping into a McMillan Edge stock? Friends and I have done it, less expensive than a rebarrel job and they will come out within your weight goal. JMHO
Posted By: raybass Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/22/11
I did consider that, I also considered the problems that could stem from that. Will it shoot when done? If not then I would have a stock built for a featherweight barrel. That would be a shortcut though.
Short shank, tapers real quick then a slow taper the rest of the barrel length? Thats what I am thinking about. Yes I would love to see pics!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/22/11
raybass: Building on a M70, you have to watch everything to avoid ending up with something heavier than you want it.

In 270 I would go with a #1 Krieger (which means CM,which does not bother me),or a "0" contour FW Brux for barrel. I spoke with Brux yesterday and if you are very specific they will contour a barrel the way you want.

On bottom metal I would look around and see what one piece aluminum units are available.....this knocks off ounces over a steel unit.

I have two back here,both on pre 64 actions.One has the original factory barrel,aluminum floorplate,and Compact Edge stock,Leupold base and rings,and weighs a bit under 7.5# with a 2.5-8 on board.

The other has a Krieger #1 CM finished at 22",aluminum BM,DD bases and rings,and a Brown precision Pound'r stock.With a 4X leupold it weighs 6.9#'s.

Lighter bases and rings would knock off some weight.

You could go with a slightly longer and heavier #2 contour,but will add a bit of weight.Depends how you want to roll.
Most pre 64's I've shot have done very well in the accuracy dept. Actually just shot one of mine today as well as my SC/FN fwt 308. I think you have the right idea though either way you go. Their both great choices and when put in a nice mcmillan stock very hard to beat. For the money, you'd probably be better off going with the new model 70. An ultimate shadow could be bought very reasonably also, these are basically a fwt in a duratouch stock.
I was waiting for you to chime in Bob. I'm not totally against CM barrels, SS is my first choice but 7-7.5 lbs is my goal. I would like to stick with bottom metal as opposed to blind mag. Aluminum sounds like the way to go. Sounds like a factory barrel would get me there, but I do want this to be a shooter.
bsa, I kinda have that Pre-64 bug. Its you fellas that caused this!
I know, I'm sorry blush. Would it help if I showed pics of how well mine was shooting today? grin
I would feel better if you did!
Raybass, have you considered the Extreme Weather? They are susposed to be shooters. I'll soon find out when I get mine grin
BobinNH, which one of yours balances better? I like the way the Weatherby U/L 06 I have balances right behind the action screw. Maybe just a tiny bit barrel heavy balanced kinda thing.
I haven't, yet, I keep thinking about the shortcuts but wonder if I will be happy in the end. I need to look at one, I've seen none on this area yet. My original plan was to find a pre-64 featherweight 270, disassemble it and keep the original parts.
Originally Posted by raybass
I would feel better if you did!

OK, you asked for it:

Today with the pre 64, sorry I only shot a couple of groups to test some ammo I "straightened". I was experimenting with my new toy (brown precision little wiggler) grin. It was too windy today to do any real comparisons but managed to get this one right off the bat grin:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now here's how the new SC rifle did today with 2 different loads. I was curious as to how my pre 64 winchester model 100 load would work in my other 308's so I took the SC/FN fwt to try them out (It isn't very picky as you can see, these 2 loads I fired are 2 grains different in charge weight and it digested them both pretty well):

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That's a 5 shot group too (looks like 3 though).
Both right around 1 moa. The wind was howling off and on when I was out there. This rifle usually does better (around .75" 5 shot groups).

Now FN used to make a hell of a rifle with the oldstyle trigger akin to the pre 64 and here's proof. My FN PBR XP 300 wsm. This is a 10 shot group from this rifle and it looks like straightening the ammo did help with this one wind or not grin.
[Linked Image]

Don't get me wrong, fn still makes one hell of a nice rifle, but I still prefer the oldstyle trigger for its feel and simplicity (call me old fashioned I guess blush)

Originally Posted by BlackDog1
Have you considered getting a stock Featherweight pre-64 270 and dropping into a McMillan Edge stock? Friends and I have done it, less expensive than a rebarrel job and they will come out within your weight goal. JMHO

Blackdog and CFVA are 100% correct.....I've built other custom rifles in other calibers....but in 270 or 30/06 figured out years ago it made no sense at all.There just isn't anything better than a pre 64 FW 270 or 30/06 on a McMillan,Brown or Bansner stock....

Balance? Like a shotgun...I have killed quite a few head of game from coyotes to deer while they were running flat out,with them.Most recently last fall.They handle like a wand.

Raybass if I found a pre 64 270 FW I would NOT tear it apart for components. You can't find, or build, anything better in that caliber.It's easily one of the best BG rifles, in that power range, ever made.....IMHO of course smile
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Blackdog and CFVA are 100% correct.....I've built other custom rifles in other calibers....but in 270 or 30/06 figured out years ago it made no sense at all.There just isn't anything better than a pre 64 FW 270 or 30/06 on a McMillan,Brown or Bansner stock....

Balance? Like a shotgun...I have killed quite a few head of game from coyotes to deer while they were running flat out,with them.Most recently last fall.They handle like a wand.

Raybass if I found a pre 64 270 FW I would NOT tear it apart for components. You can't find, or build, anything better in that caliber.It's easily one of the best BG rifles, in that power range, ever made.....IMHO of course smile

Very well said bob.
I haven't, yet, I keep thinking about the shortcuts but wonder if I will be happy in the end. I need to look at one, I've seen none on this area yet. My original plan was to find a pre-64 featherweight 270, disassemble it and keep the original parts.

Keep in mind the 270 fwt's demand much more money than the 30-06 fwt's since they made less of them. my most recent 30-06 fwt cost me $800.00 (you've seen the condition it's in) the 270 is going to bring twice that (if not more). If you are looking for one to just tear apart (and re-barrel to 270) the 30-06 would be a better candidate and they're easier to find too.
bsa: I have seen enough of your groups on here fired with pre 64 barrels to be able to say that they mirror the results I have seen for years from those barrels.

Most of my custom barrels in 270 have been Kriegers and nicely accurate....but I am forced to admit that in many cases, I can't tell the difference between those and many pre 64's,in calibers from 220 Swift clear up through 375 H&H....the reason I no longer tear up pre 64's for custom rifles....I use the factory barrels and just slap 'em in a synthetic stock,until the factory barrels go;then replace with a Krieger (or a new Brux like I just ordered).

I am very impressed with the SC M70's,and if looking for a rifle like raybass wants today, would not hesitate to do the same things with a new FN M70 in 270 FW.....I would get a SS one though just for variety...swap out the heavy BM for something lighter,put it in a Compact Edge or Brown Pound'r, add Talley LW's,and rock on... wink

raybass,even though a bit different in stock styles, my two 270's are one and the same to me....the Brown stocked rifle is slightly lighter ( I stll have not found anything lighter or better than a Brown Pound'r in an after market stock),but in terms of results what one will do the other will do.
bsa: I have seen enough of your groups on here fired with pre 64 barrels to be able to say that they mirror the results I have seen for years from those barrels.

Most of my custom barrels in 270 have been Kriegers and nicely accurate....but I am forced to admit that in many cases, I can't tell the difference between those and many pre 64's,in calibers from 220 Swift clear up through 375 H&H....the reason I no longer tear up pre 64's for custom rifles....I use the factory barrels and just slap 'em in a synthetic stock,until the factory barrels go;then replace with a Krieger (or a new Brux like I just ordered).

I am very impressed with the SC M70's,and if looking for a rifle like raybass wants today, would not hesitate to do the same things with a new FN M70 in 270 FW.....I would get a SS one though just for variety...swap out the heavy BM for something lighter,put it in a Compact Edge or Brown Pound'r, add Talley LW's,and rock on... wink

That's great advice Bob. It's funny because everytime I shoot my SC fwt it just feels more like the pre 64 model 70 than my NH's. I know you've had some nice NH rifles but you've said it takes a lot of work from a good smith to make them feel and shoot like the old pre 64's and I believe every word of that. The new SC guns are great IF you can get used to those danged triggers blush. Not that they're bad either, just not what I'm used to and I guess that's my only gripe about them. One of these days I'll get the lighter spring from ernie and my griping will probably be over grin
Might save some money then, surely if I got a Weatherby U/L to shoot then a pre-64 shouldn't be all that hard, right? Sometime after the first of the year is when I plan to start looking for a rifle, maybe my plan just got simplified.
bsa in the 5 of them I have shot,the triggers all felt great....maybe I am not too fussy, but in those rifles they felt just fine,and shot great.I never felt a nee to touch any of those 5 triggers.

I have no squawk with them;just don't know how they hold up is all....plus using the pre 64 triggers for so many years I trust them.

But I think a SC M70 FW in 270,in a light synthetic,light mounts and BM,will be as good and functional as anything a guy could build...practically speaking.
crazy Ya'll really have me thinking about going with a SC FN Featherweight 270 now. I have time to think about it, maybe do some handling between now and then also.
GSSP's rifle is the inspiration.

[Linked Image]
Raybass, I would just order up a edge stock from MCM or D'Arcy, I have both and like them very much. I have 3 pre 64's that sit in synthetic stocks w/fwt barrels, 2 factory, one with a pac-nor fwt barrel. So if you order the stock for the factory fwt barrel, then find a .270 fwt and if it shoots leave it as is, otherwise order up a fwt barrel from whomever and you're set. I've been very happy with how my fwts shoot and you should be able to hit your target weight....it makes up a great package for sure.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/22/11
crazy Ya'll really have me thinking about going with a SC FN Featherweight 270 now. I have time to think about it, maybe do some handling between now and then also.
Here's a list of decent potential donors: (Noted these due to prices around $700)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=241840582
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=241857565
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=241958599
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=242606776
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=242747090

These two are 'actions only' and are fully complete.. An excellent start for a rifle that'll have a new stock)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=242825196
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=242599583

PM coming..

Redneck will square you away... wink
Bob just posted a Montana 84L that was on GB. Apparently there is at least one around!

If you don't have a "donor" already it might be a good option for you. An 84L in 270 has a lot going for it.

I probably would of gone that way had I not already had a M70 that needed a stock.

Just a thunk.
Then again........old M70s are just cool grin
MM: Indeed they are.... wink

84L is a good option as well.
Posted By: elkrazy Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/22/11
I built a 270 from a classic model 70 action - I used a #1 Krieger at 24 inches, Echols Legend with Edge, Williams bottom metal (added a few ounces) - the final weight was 7 lbs 1 ounce without scope.

I like the gun alot, but if I had to do it again I would :

1. Cut the barrel to 23" and make it a #2. The weight would have been 3 or so ounces more - I think it would have worked for me.

2. Used the McMillan Edge/Compact pattern and kept the #1 at 23 inches. Several guys ( I think BobinNH and Utah708) have said they prefer the compact for below below 7mm RM and Legend above that (or someother like cutoff). I now see the wisdom in that advice. I have a 9.3x62 in a pre64 with a #3 pacnor that redneck put together and had it put into a Legend - like GSSP and I love it.

Good luck.
The Legend is the finest synthetic stock I have ever used in a magnum caliber of 7mm on up.It really does attenuate perceived recoil and I have shot them in 7 mag, 300 Weatherby and 375.Rifles almost aim themselves.....

For a standard cartridge I like something a bit trimmer....rumor mill has it that this is in the works and I want one.... smile
RayBass,
A few years ago, a Bro of mine and BobinNH's peeled a original 270 Featherweight away from me that quite frankly I was a little loathe to let go. Though it looked like it had been drug down a couple of miles of barbed wire fence, I could tell that it had been someones trusted rifle and that it had seen a lot of hunting camps from the honest carrying wear on it. When my bro finally got it away from me several years later he called me not long after he received it and said he was going to rebarrel it, I asked him "why?", "have you shot it yet?", he said "no" I said to him, "before you do that why don't you shoot it first,it shoots extremely well for me" so he did. Today it's sitting in a Banser pounder stock, still missing a fair amount of blueing and wearing the original barrel. Its lighter and trimmer and in my opinion balances better than it originally did, but its still frighteningly accurate. BobinNH has commented about it stellar subMOA abilities out to 300 and 400 yds here on the Fire.
IMHO, BSA and BobinNH are correct about not parting out a original Featherweight 270, If my heart was set on using a pre-64 action for a .270 build, I'd consider shopping for a well used standard weight 06' rifle that had seen many campfires. Its the same action and magazine follower. I see them ocassionaly in my neck of the woods, usually with a pad on the original stock in the $500-$650 range.I know where theres one now in a local shop that I think is going for around $625. Who knows, you might find one with a roached out barrel that you might get a great deal on. Which way you decide to go, either a new FN or a pre-64 build I hope it turns out well for you.
BD
Looks like a pretty productive thread. A lot of good points being made here.
here's the best point yet.

hurry before i scrape up the cash!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5443179/2
Yep, thats a good one!!!!! grin
I saw that one too man oh man. It shouldn't last long.....
RayBass,
A few years ago, a Bro of mine and BobinNH's peeled a original 270 Featherweight away from me that quite frankly I was a little loathe to let go. Though it looked like it had been drug down a couple of miles of barbed wire fence, I could tell that it had been someones trusted rifle and that it had seen a lot of hunting camps from the honest carrying wear on it. When my bro finally got it away from me several years later he called me not long after he received it and said he was going to rebarrel it, I asked him "why?", "have you shot it yet?", he said "no" I said to him, "before you do that why don't you shoot it first,it shoots extremely well for me" so he did. Today it's sitting in a Banser pounder stock, still missing a fair amount of blueing and wearing the original barrel. Its lighter and trimmer and in my opinion balances better than it originally did, but its still frighteningly accurate. BobinNH has commented about it stellar subMOA abilities out to 300 and 400 yds here on the Fire.
IMHO, BSA and BobinNH are correct about not parting out a original Featherweight 270, If my heart was set on using a pre-64 action for a .270 build, I'd consider shopping for a well used standard weight 06' rifle that had seen many campfires. Its the same action and magazine follower. I see them ocassionaly in my neck of the woods, usually with a pad on the original stock in the $500-$650 range.I know where theres one now in a local shop that I think is going for around $625. Who knows, you might find one with a roached out barrel that you might get a great deal on. Which way you decide to go, either a new FN or a pre-64 build I hope it turns out well for you.
BD

The rifle is here because Blackdog is a true peach of a human being and for no other reason...... grin

Bro and I shot that rifle first time with the iron's at 100 yards and giggled when it cut about an 1 1/4" for both of us.....and my eyeballs ain't twenty anymore.....I can attest to the accruracy after watching Bro dump 7-8 shots into about 4" at 400 yards with a Leup 2-7 and dots....and watched him kill a big mule deer at 385 yards in Wyoming last fall....a couple of weeks ago it did well with 62 gr 7828 and 130 Partitions.

It looks knarled up but I notice a lot of fancy customs stay at home,and this one goes hunting when it's time to kill.......

I think so much of original pre 64 M70 tubes that I have a really mint 270FW pre64 barrel here "just in case"....people will rebarrel them, thinking they will get something better than the original tubes,but I sorta doubt it. whistle
I'm truly humbled by the kind words my friend. God bless you.
BD
I agree with BobinNH, BSA, Blackdog and others who have praised the pre-64's factory barrels. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to rebarrel would be to switch calibers, or lighten up a gun that has the standard weight barrel on it. One nice thing about the pre-64 barrels, besides their accuracy, is that all of them that I have owned were very smooth and cleaned up fast with Montana X-treme solvent.
Posted By: raybass Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/23/11
Thanks fellas, this has been eye opening with the suggestions and great ideas! Redneck had some good suggestions. There are some good deals on the fire' right now but the rest of this year will be money for hunting. I have set a goal to get most of the parts and get it to a gunsmith next year. Honestly I think I want a pre-64 action. Possibly with a factory barrel, depending on what I come up with. I have a lot of research to do mainly stock styles and if needed barrel profiles.
Posted By: RickF Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/23/11
If you can come up with a pre-64 standard rifle, there is absolutely no reason not to have the barrel turned down to the contour you like. I have had it done more than once, and accuracy is as good post-turn down as it was before. An easy way to get into a great barreled action for not a lot of money.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/23/11
Rick is right...because they are broached barrels,they turn down nicely and retain their accuracy.
Compact edge, I didn't see it on McMillans site. Where can I get a look at one?
The "compact edge" pattern is called the "Hunter's Edge" and can be seen under that name on McMillan's website. It's referred to as the Winchester "Compact" when it is ordered in standard fill. I've got one, and I got it through the Campfire. Here it is on a New Haven 300 WSM:

[Linked Image]

A few guys here have them on pre-64 FWT's, a search might turn up their pictures.
Yep did a search and found utah708 photo essay and some others like Whelenaways compact edge...I like it. Basically a scaled down shorter forearm and such. That would look good with a shorter barrel.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
The "compact edge" pattern is called the "Hunter's Edge" and can be seen under that name on McMillan's website. It's referred to as the Winchester "Compact" when it is ordered in standard fill. I've got one, and I got it through the Campfire. Here it is on a New Haven 300 WSM:

[Linked Image]

A few guys here have them on pre-64 FWT's, a search might turn up their pictures.

I've always liked that model 70. Great looking rifle and excellent long range rig.
Here's a lousy photo of a great rifle, a plain old pre-64 fwt 30-06 in a compact edge stock. The bare rifle is just under 6 pounds, just under 7 as it sits here, and as Bob said balances like a fine shotgun. Using rifles don't get any better than this.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RickF
Here's a lousy photo of a great rifle, a plain old pre-64 fwt 30-06 in a compact edge stock. The bare rifle is just under 6 pounds, just under 7 as it sits here, and as Bob said balances like a fine shotgun. Using rifles don't get any better than this.

[Linked Image]

Damn, that's a very nice rifle there. An improved Kimber...
RickF, thats pretty much what I have envisioned. Light trim and ready to roll. Did you use bottom metal? That rifle looks good buddy.
[Linked Image]

Just got it back from Redneck. (Who was great by the way)
'41 M70, #2 Rock, Hunter Edge.....

Balance is real nice. Not sure of the weight? Certainly no fly weight, but much lighter than it was with the sporter weight barrel and oil soaked stock!
Still has original bottom metal. I may look at a PT&G unit.

I'll take a scale home from work Monday, see what it weighs.
Nice rig! I've got a '47 Model 70 salted away for a similar build.
RickF, thats pretty much what I have envisioned. Light trim and ready to roll. Did you use bottom metal? That rifle looks good buddy.

You bet, the factory aluminum bottom metal. The barreled action is straight out of the factory with a couple minor modifications.

The bolt has been jeweled, the bolt release tab checkered, and the sights have been taken off and the rear dovetail filled. The VX-III in the original pic was taken off and replaced with a 6X36 LR.

I really can't think of a better all-around rifle. This goes easily under an inch with 150 TSX's, in fact will chase an inch hard at 200 yards. I have had Kimbers including a 7mm-08 Montana; let's just say I won't insult the Kimber owners on the board. The Kimbers went away... smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/23/11
I would not discount featherweight barrel accuracy. A good barrel will do what you want and keep the total weight where you want it.
Posted By: raybass Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/24/11
Good looking rigs fellas! I'm trying not to get too pumped up just yet. I had a KImber 84L in 270, it was a good rifle so I ain't knocking them either. I've had several pushfeed Winchesters too that I liked, especially those Winlites. I am looking forward to owning a pre-64 Model 70 set up like you fellas have done. 30Gibbs, I'll be running one hopefully!
Show and tell time grin. I kinda like the wood stocked ones too whistle:

[Linked Image]
I like wood stocks too, here's a seasonal themed pic. That barreled action now resides with another 'fire member who, if I recall correctly, restocked it in an Edge.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: raybass Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/24/11
I like them with wood also, nice rifles fellas.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's a few to start, top picture L-R
Classic 7 Rem Mag, 66' PF 7x57, Pre 300HH, Pre 300HH, Fwt.270
next pic a pair of .358's a Fwt 70 and a Sav.99 F
Posted By: RickF Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/24/11
Two beauties belonging to BobinNH. Bob will provide the details.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/24/11
Rick thanks for posting the pics for me smile

The rifle hanging on the elk rack is a pre 270 FW that Redneck bedded for me in a Compact Edge a couple of years ago. Metal is all original.It wears a 2.5-8 and is great little rifle.

The bottom rifle is a pre 64 FW 30/06 in a Bansner stock.All original except for a Sunny Hill trigger guard/floorplate assembly;Talley LW's are the mounts.
Very nice Bob. Love the front rest too (just like the one I use). I had to paint mine up though, looks like you've put some good hard use on it. Rick, thanks for sharing the photos with us. I was just thinking yesterday that we never get to see any of Bob's rifles grin
I'm assuming the rifle in the bottom pic has a 2.5-8 as well????
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/24/11
bsa that's a 4X Leup on the 30/06. It has had a bunch of different stuff on it. smile

You'd see more rifles if I knew how to post them....never learned how.I think Rick and Skane have lots of my rifle pics.
Thanks Bob, Still trying to figure out what scope to put on my fwt 30-06. It's low on the priority list right now as I finally have an extreme weather picked out and in the works. I've been wanting one of those for a long time now. I think I pm'd you about them almost a year ago. Seems like a long wait but what is a person to do when these pre 64's keep falling in ones lap??? Trust me I'm not complaining though grin. Just something about shooting the pre 64's that is hard to explain. They are just so smooth, reliable and surprisingly accurate. The fwt I just bought fits me like a glove too. I can't ever see myself getting rid of it.
If a guy wanted to turn a 280rem featherweight into a 280AI should he use the stock barrel or would it be recommended to get a good quality barrel? My goals would be to keep the rifle light weight.
Posted By: RickF Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/25/11
My pleasure Bob. I REALLY like the looks of the fwt in the Bansner stock.
My pleasure Bob. I REALLY like the looks of the fwt in the Bansner stock.

Bob, I agree with my buddy Rick on the Bansner. I really like their stocks and it looks good with the fwt. I might have to do one like that myself!
Posted By: battue Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/25/11
Have to agree with you and Bob on the pre 64s with regards to accuracy and function. However, everyone I've had would copper up quickly, and it didn't easily come out. Unlike some of the recent custom tubes I've had. Has this been your experience also?

A new Nula with a Douglas stays amazingly clean and what it does collect comes out with little effort. Same with a Bretlein.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/25/11
battue: Yes they copper up....but they also keep shooting smile They are not fussy.

They were broached and lapped,got care in their making,but maybe not like a Bartlein.I use Sweets or JB if they get too dirty.
pat: They do a really nice job on pre 64's at Bansners.
Posted By: raybass Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/25/11
Wow I finally get to see a rifle or two of Bob's!! grin
Bob,

At one time I would have dismissed a Douglas as not being up to par with some of the others. After 3 Nula's: .22lr, .22-250 and 7mm-08, my opinion has changed.

The .22lr and 7mm-08 can be scary accurate and the .22-250 while not there yet, is pretty good. I'm thinking groups are going to shrink with cooler temps.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/25/11
Originally Posted by elkrazy
I have a 9.3x62 in a pre64 with a #3 pacnor that redneck put together and had it put into a Legend - like GSSP and I love it.

You mean I did something someone likes! smile

Alan
battue I have no complaints with Douglas barrels. They have given me good results..

raybass trust me there are other rifles... smile

Originally Posted by GSSP
Originally Posted by elkrazy
I have a 9.3x62 in a pre64 with a #3 pacnor that redneck put together and had it put into a Legend - like GSSP and I love it.

You mean I did something someone likes! smile

Alan

GSSP's rifle is the inspiration.

[Linked Image]

That rifle right there is damned near perfect in my eyes. I don't blame Raybass for being inspired.
I could copy that some day and not feel the least bit guilty. Very nice.
Did all the pre-64s come with open sights and filler screws on the left side of the receiver?
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Did all the pre-64s come with open sights and filler screws on the left side of the receiver?

Bearstalker, yes they all came with filler screws. All had open sights, except for Gopher Specials or custom shops items so specified.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/25/11
Here are the screws on the left side of the receiver matched up to the matching cutouts in the D'Arcy Echols Legend stock.

Alan
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bob, thanks for that.

What's up with the filler screws? Old school scope mount?
Alan: Nice touch! wink

Remember when rifles came set up for receiver sights? shocked smile

You pay extree for that today!
Posted By: battue Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/26/11
A Lyman peep seemed to be the most popular from what I remember.

Looked like this:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 07/26/11
Lyman 57's and 48's dominated... smile
And some of those came with 125MOA of adjustment laugh

[Linked Image]
bearstalker: Might have answered before you asked.Back when the M70 was designed (1937),scopes were a sometimes thing,and many used receiver sights.Those taps on the side were there for that purpose, to mount Lyman 48's and 57's.Years past I have done much target shooting and hunting here in New England with Lyman 48's and 57's on pre 64's.

The rifles came "set up" for iron sights.

And "yes",some scope mounts used those holes on the side.....can't recall the names though.

Some folks today say the matte finish of the pre 64 receivers is an indication of "poor quality finish",giving the rifle a two tone effect....this makes me smile as they demonstrate ignorance. smile

Fact is,riflemen used ironsights back then,as well as scopes later on.The matte finish, and the wavy lines on top of pre 64 receivers,as well as stippling on the front sight ramp,were there to prevent or cut glare from stray sunlight for those using iron sights.

This stuff is lost on many of todays riflemen who have never used irons for any serious target work or hunting.There was nothing on a pre 64 that did not have a useful "purpose",given the times in which they were created. smile
[Linked Image]

Pretty fond of the Lyman 57 WJS on my 300HH, no notching of the wood and easy on the eyes.
[Linked Image]

Pretty fond of the Lyman 57 WJS on my 300HH, no notching of the wood and easy on the eyes.

Nice black dog....
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image]

Nice black dog....

Indeed! grin

Very cool older stuff!
Raybass--why did you give up on the 270FWT Winlite pushfeed that you picked up a year ago?

To me, that was all that you were looking for already. What did you not like about it that you now want to improve?
Just a receiver sight on a 300 HH does not meet my way. To each his own on this.

I got my old M70 300 H&H out of the safe to look it over after seeing your rifle. Besides the open irons they come with its sighted with a Leu. 3.5-10 in Burris rings.
It has the original monte carlo stock with a pad.

It seems like a handicap to me to have to use irons on what might be a longer range rifle.

[Linked Image]

I think it depends on how and where you hunt, my other pre 64 70 300HH is wearing a 2.5 x 8 Leupy in Leupy rings. I don't have much trouble with peep sighted irons out to about 150 to 200yds.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Just a receiver sight on a 300 HH does not meet my way. To each his own on this.

I got my old M70 300 H&H out of the safe to look it over after seeing your rifle. Besides the open irons they come with its sighted with a Leu. 3.5-10 in Burris rings.
It has the original monte carlo stock with a pad.

It seems like a handicap to me to have to use irons on what might be a longer range rifle.

[img:center]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/5794/dsc011227te.jpg[/img]

Nice to know you can put a leupold 3.5-10x40 on a pre 64 without it hitting the rear sight. I like looking at all the different configurations (scopes, peeps sights, just irons etc. etc.). Here's my 1951 with a 3-9x40 on it and it does very well. It's one of my most consistently accurate shooting rifles. When I bought it, it came with a redfield rear peep that was very nice but like a bumb a$$ I got rid of it (live and learn). I also found a stock that was in near new condition that someone had put a pachmeyer decelerator recoil pad on and I thought it would be a perfect candidate for a pillar/glass bedding project (one of the reasons the rifle shoots so well I think blush). The stock cost me $130.00 out the door which I thought was a good deal at the time. Now it is paired with my 1951 and contrary to my friends opinion I'm pretty happy with it. I also glass bed, sealed and freefloated the barrel channel, threw in a dummy screw and called it good. I wanted to go mcmillan but at the time just didn't have the money for it. Take a look:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] The first group I ever shot with the rifle (I knew it was a keeper).
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/011-6.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/013-5.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/015-5.jpg[/img]
When the wind isn't blowing like a banshee around here it shoots very well grin
Posted By: raybass Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 08/20/11
DakotaDeer, just seen your question. I actually really liked that rifle, I believe that rifle was sold to help with medical bills after we found out my wife had colon cancer. Not something we were prepared for, she had two surgeries in two years and chemo treatments. I wished I could say things are alot better, we keep hoping for good news though!
Posted By: rembo Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 08/20/11
since we are doing Pre'64 pics here are a couple of mine...
1960 action rebarreled to 308 Norma with a 24" Shilen Match tube turned to a Douglas contour....575" at the muzzle. McMillan standard fill Classic Supergrade pattern handle...8.5lbs with 3.5-10X Leupy.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I just spoke with the builder of this one a couple days ago and I'm sending him a 1949 270 and a Hunter's Edge....it'll get the barrel turned to match the barrel chanell which is a #2 Shilen, shortened to 23"(maybe), bedded and reblued. Should be a nice one.

Here are a couple pics of my 1959 fwt 30-06,...it'll stay the way it is for now. It's exactly 8lbs with 2.5-8X Leupy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 08/20/11
Rembo that 308 Norma is damn near,friggin' perfect! wink

Nice!
Rembo that 308 Norma is damn near,friggin' perfect! wink

Nice!

Bob, that is exactly what I was thinking when I saw it. Holy.......and then I saw the fwt that looks just like mine, I'm going with that scope on my fwt also. 2 Very nice rifles there......
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 08/21/11
bsa, I had a 300 Win Mag sorta like it;pre 64 H&H action, 24" Krieger stainless throated "long",Brown Precision stock,weighed 8.5# all up.That rifle killed a lot of game in different places back in the 80's and 90's.A real tool....

Today I'd rather have a lighter 30/06, but there is little you can't do with a 308 Norma set up like that. wink
I'd love to have a 308 norma one of these days. Call me crazy I guess. I've always thought that's what the 300 win mag should have been, but they drug their damn feet just a little too long. mad
Speaking of a lighter 30-06, you should have seen my dad the last time he was down we took my new rifle (pre 64 model 70 fwt 30-06) out and I had to pry it away from him. It is the same age as him (1956) and he just thought that was the coolest thing. When he started shooting it better than me, that's when I had to draw the line grin. I should have given it to him right then and there.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 08/21/11
You should let him have it..... whistle grin
Posted By: RickF Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 08/22/11
My dad's favorite rifle is a pre-64 fwt 308 in a Hunters Edge stock I gave him. HINT... smile
My dad's favorite rifle is a pre-64 fwt 308 in a Hunters Edge stock I gave him. HINT... smile

grin blush
Posted By: raybass Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 08/22/11
You can do it! laugh
You can do it! laugh

[Linked Image]
Raybass: Go with the beautiful, strong, safe and accurate pre-64 Model 70 action!
You won't be disappointed.
Many years ago I sought out a pre-64 Model 70 action that was made the same month I was born (July 1947) and once I found one I had a custom Rifle built on it.
I chose the wonderful and versatile 280 Remington caliber for my build and I could not be happier with what it has done over the years!
I have taken 3 species of Deer with this Rifle along with Antelope, Elk, Black Bear and Mt. Goat!
Soon I hope to bring to bag a Caribou with this Rifle.
I chose a 25" barrel without sights and a McMillan stock.
The pre-64 Model 70 action will hold 6 rounds total of the 30/06, 270 & 280 Remington type cartridges.
I live and Hunt a lot in Grizzly country and this extra coupla cartridges gives me some solace.
I highly recommend the Winchester pre-64 Model 70 action for custom Rifles (I have two others - one in 243 Winchester and another in 240 Weatherby Magnum).
Best of luck with whichever action you choose.
Hold inot the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: raybass Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 08/23/11
bsa, you got it!! LOL

VarmitGuy, thats the plan. I've never done a custom before and thought that would be a good place to start. A pre64 and 270 winchester just sounds sooo right. I actually got a good start with rifles, accidently, my first was a 95 chilean in 7X57 and my 2nd was a 270 winchester on a pushfeed featherweight. I wanted a rifle from the same year I was born, may still get one later but 1964 ain't gonna cut it on this build.... laugh.

Thanks all for the inspiration!
bsa, you got it!! LOL

VarmitGuy, thats the plan. I've never done a custom before and thought that would be a good place to start. A pre64 and 270 winchester just sounds sooo right. I actually got a good start with rifles, accidently, my first was a 95 chilean in 7X57 and my 2nd was a 270 winchester on a pushfeed featherweight. I wanted a rifle from the same year I was born, may still get one later but 1964 ain't gonna cut it on this build.... laugh.

Thanks all for the inspiration!

I still think you need one like GSSP'S. I won't tell him you coppied his design whistle
Posted By: raybass Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 08/23/11
Shhhhh I don't think he knows yet.
Shhhhh I don't think he knows yet.

OK, I'll keep it my secret wink
Originally Posted by rembo
since we are doing Pre'64 pics here are a couple of mine...
1960 action rebarreled to 308 Norma with a 24" Shilen Match tube turned to a Douglas contour....575" at the muzzle. McMillan standard fill Classic Supergrade pattern handle...8.5lbs with 3.5-10X Leupy.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I just spoke with the builder of this one a couple days ago and I'm sending him a 1949 270 and a Hunter's Edge....it'll get the barrel turned to match the barrel chanell which is a #2 Shilen, shortened to 23"(maybe), bedded and reblued. Should be a nice one.

Here are a couple pics of my 1959 fwt 30-06,...it'll stay the way it is for now. It's exactly 8lbs with 2.5-8X Leupy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yours is exactly 8 pounds with a 2.5-8x36 on it. That makes me feel better now about my decision of the 3.5-10x40 vx3 on my 1956 fwt 30-06. Mines a little over that right now:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I know raybass would want to see pics grin. It's a little more incentive wink
Posted By: raybass Re: Future pre-64 build ...... - 08/25/11
Rub it in bsa. I can handle it.... I think. cry Nice looking rifle btw. I like them as they came also.
© 24hourcampfire