Home
Posted By: NYH1 What kind of oil do you use? - 09/13/11
I use FP-10 on my AR-15 (don't have anymore) and pistols, Glock's and SW1911 that see a lot of continuous shooting and Rem Oil on my hunting rifles and shotguns. A while back I started using the FP-10 on my hunting rifles and shotguns too, Marlin 336, Remington 700's, 870, 11-87's, Ruger 10-22.

I just bought a new Remington 7600 Carbine. I have to clean and oil it before I shoot it this weekend. I'm thinking of going back to the Rem Oil on my hunting guns and use the FP-10 on my pistols. What kind of oil do you use?

Thanks, NYH1! wink
Dont laugh, but one my game hunting rifles I use olive oil cooking spray, it being a plant based oil, its scent doesnt alarm game, I use it on my bow to, may sound funny to some, but me hunting big bucks in the thick stuff I need all the help I can get smile

Gunner
Posted By: bh444 Re: What kind of oil do you use? - 09/13/11
Breakfree
+1 on the Break Free..
10W30 grin
Originally Posted by gunner500
Dont laugh, but one my game hunting rifles I use olive oil cooking spray, it being a plant based oil, its scent doesnt alarm game, I use it on my bow to, may sound funny to some, but me hunting big bucks in the thick stuff I need all the help I can get smile

Gunner

Maybe you could just spray doe estrus on it and be even better off grin.
Mobil 1
Posted By: Huntr Re: What kind of oil do you use? - 09/13/11
CLP
Originally Posted by NYH1
I use FP-10 on my AR-15 (don't have anymore) and pistols, Glock's and SW1911 that see a lot of continuous shooting and Rem Oil on my hunting rifles and shotguns. A while back I started using the FP-10 on my hunting rifles and shotguns too, Marlin 336, Remington 700's, 870, 11-87's, Ruger 10-22.

I just bought a new Remington 7600 Carbine. I have to clean and oil it before I shoot it this weekend. I'm thinking of going back to the Rem Oil on my hunting guns and use the FP-10 on my pistols. What kind of oil do you use?

Thanks, NYH1! wink

I personally like rem oil. Been using it for years. Tried the Eezox for rust preventative but couldn't get past the smell. Im sure Rdfinn who suggested it could smell it every time I sprayed it so I stopped using it for the time being. I'd say use rem oil for your rifles. I've never had a problem with it and my semi auto winchester model 100 likes it too. Great for cold weather applications too. I'd rock on with it if I were you.
Rem Oil, I use it most of the time. Just a light coat.
Lithium grease on the inside, ballistol on the outside.

WildallslickandgreasyandshinyAlaska ��2002-2011
Rem Oil or whatever big-mart sells
Posted By: gddir Re: What kind of oil do you use? - 09/14/11
Mobil 1
Corrosion X-HD
+3 for Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic. For cleaning its 50/50 Mobil1 and Kroil. Good schitt ....
http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

For the record I use FP-10 but have at some point used a dozen other gun oils and such stuff as Marvel Mystery and 3/1 oils. IMHO they all served their purpose at the time.
I use Rem oil, and Tetra Gun Grease on the camming surfaces of bolts and to grease a Garand.
Posted By: MOGC Re: What kind of oil do you use? - 09/14/11
FP-10 here...
ATF
Posted By: Mouse Re: What kind of oil do you use? - 09/14/11
Been using Rem oil for a long time. Don't really see any reason to change. Good stuff.
Mouse
Posted By: NYH1 Re: What kind of oil do you use? - 09/14/11
Thanks for all the replies!
Lets see..

Graphite moly assembly lube
CLP
Tri Flow

depends on the platform.

But going to start using Mobil 1 on things, too..
+1 on the Tri Flow...
smells good, too!
We use it to keep our Benelli M1 Super 90 shotguns going while aerial hunting. Some days I've shot 300+ 12 gauge magnum shells in subzero weather without a hitch as long as there was Tri Flow on the bolt....the best stuff I've ever used and I've tried just about everything.
Mobil 1 on most stuff and a little dab of Boretech grease on lugs.
Sheath (now Barricade). Excellent rust protection and seemed not to throw the first shot off as much when a very light coat was run through the bore followed by a dry patch. For lube BreakFree except on lugs and camming surface where I use a grease, usually Rig. Always liked the smell of Rem oil though, reminds me of my first 22.
CLP and Eezox
Originally Posted by the_shootist
10W30 grin

+1
rem oil, break-free, 3n1 oil, and a few others. never could see any difference or advantage as long as i kept them oiled.
Without question, Eezox is my favorite gun oil!
Well, well... Whattya know? Not a SINGLE mention of WD-40..

I'm impressed.. Y'all are learnin'....

laugh laugh laugh
Militec-1
http://www.militec1.com/
Posted By: EricM Re: What kind of oil do you use? - 09/14/11
I use Eezox.
Rem Oil and Break Free. Depends on which can I find first.
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
We use it to keep our Benelli M1 Super 90 shotguns going while aerial hunting. Some days I've shot 300+ 12 gauge magnum shells in subzero weather without a hitch as long as there was Tri Flow on the bolt....the best stuff I've ever used and I've tried just about everything.

Those Benelli's sure are nice rigs..

Tri flow goes on the bolts of all my B/A rifles.. No hiccups yet when it gets cold.

For the record - High pressure assembly lube goes on my auto pistols, and the CLP goes in my RRA LAR-15 Coyote Rifle, but that will get changed to Mobil 1 in the future.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Without question, Eezox is my favorite gun oil!

Just can't get past the smell....Not going to use it on my hunting rifles. Used it on my wifes suburban's door hinge yesterday and it was the chit for that though.
I'm an Eezox fan as well. It definately keeps the rust off and things dry lubed. It does have a strong pleasant odor, but it mostly goes away after it's wiped dry. Not really noticeable on the 2nd day.

As a side note, BSA is right, it works great on squeaky hinges too!
Originally Posted by Redneck

laugh laugh laugh

It took me 4 years to get my hunt group WD-40 free! :-)
Posted By: TDN Re: What kind of oil do you use? - 09/14/11
CLP - has not let me down yet
Originally Posted by longshot3
Originally Posted by Redneck

laugh laugh laugh

It took me 4 years to get my hunt group WD-40 free! :-)
You've done the Lord's work, sir - congrats..
ok, someone explain to me the Mobil 1 deal.
Posted By: Fifth Re: What kind of oil do you use? - 09/14/11
Rotella 15W-40 diesel oil. Really convenient considering I use it for everything else automotive.
Posted By: temmi Re: What kind of oil do you use? - 09/14/11
Rem Oil & M-Pro 7 LPX
Originally Posted by jorgeI
ok, someone explain to me the Mobil 1 deal.

Lots of guys talk it up for AR platforms.. Makes sense - synthetic, doesn't thicken at cold temps (-40), very durable.. And cheap, around 8 bucks will get a quart of the stuff. Compare that to CLP.

I'm going to try it (0-40) and see how it runs.
Posted By: CLB Re: What kind of oil do you use? - 09/14/11
KG-4 is what I'm using now.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

Maybe you could just spray doe estrus on it and be even better off grin.

Thats funny bsa, hmmm..... wonder what that doe pee will "W" out too? grin

Gunner
I know one guy who uses food grade silicone spray lube; not sure why but he swears by it.
© 24hourcampfire