Home
Posted By: DaSakoMan Edgey EDGE - 09/30/11
Finally got my EDGE for my Howa 1500.
You would assume it would be a drop in fit.
Action dropped in ok but when tightening the two action screws, the bolt wouldnt cock to fire - and I hadnt even tightened the screws that firmly.
My gunsmith said that maybe the action wasnt sitting properly in the stock. Mine does have the pillars installed.

Just want to know if anyone else has had to tweak their EDGE to make the bolt operate as it should.

Dont wish to send it back to McMillan as I am a bit far away!!

Gus
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Edgey EDGE - 09/30/11
Factory trigger?
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Edgey EDGE - 09/30/11
My recent McMillan required a small bit of inletting before the Savage trigger worked properly.

Check the inletting around the trigger.
Posted By: DaSakoMan Re: Edgey EDGE - 09/30/11
Yes, it is the factory trigger.

nsaqam - you could be on the right path.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Gus
Posted By: jpb Re: Edgey EDGE - 09/30/11
Gus,

If your stock is light coloured, hold a piece of aluminum foil above a candle to get it nice and sooty, then add a couple of drops of oil. Paint this on the action, then see what places in the stock are marked. I too would bet on the trigger group.

If your stock is black, borrow your wife's lipstick in some bright colour and mark the action with that to see where it is making contact.

Of course, if my New Zealand buddies are correct about you Australians, you will already have your own lipstick. wink

[Linked Image]

John
Originally Posted by jpb
Gus,

If your stock is light coloured, hold a piece of aluminum foil above a candle to get it nice and sooty, then add a couple of drops of oil. Paint this on the action, then see what places in the stock are marked. I too would bet on the trigger group.

If your stock is black, borrow your wife's lipstick in some bright colour and mark the action with that to see where it is making contact.

Of course, if my New Zealand buddies are correct about you Australians, you will already have your own lipstick. wink

[Linked Image]

John

Thanks for that John,

Oh yes, the good ol sheep shagger Kiwis - its a love hate relationship. We fought along side them in the trenches, but we like taking the piss out of each other.

Rather wear lippey than be a sheep shagger!!!!

Gus.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Edgey EDGE - 09/30/11
I had the same thing with a Mauser Edge. Inlet around the trigger and all was good.

ddj
Posted By: jpb Re: Edgey EDGE - 09/30/11
Originally Posted by Gus_K
Thanks for that John,

Oh yes, the good ol sheep shagger Kiwis - its a love hate relationship. We fought along side them in the trenches, but we like taking the piss out of each other.

Gus.

Yep, I know about the relationship between the Kiwis and you. smile I lived in both Canada and the USA and it was similar. Heck, within Canada we have the Newfies vs. everybody else!

I now live in Sweden, and we make fun of Norwegians. However, I have to acknowledge that they are very inventive.

Did you know that it was a Norwegian who invented the toilet seat? A great accomplishment indeed.

Of course, it took a Swede two years of intense research to perfect this important invention by adding a hole.

John
Posted By: GeoW Re: Edgey EDGE - 09/30/11
crazy

laugh
g
Originally Posted by jpb
Thanks for that John,

Gus.

Yep, I know about the relationship between the Kiwis and you. smile I lived in both Canada and the USA and it was similar. Heck, within Canada we have the Newfies vs. everybody else!

I now live in Sweden, and we make fun of Norwegians. However, I have to acknowledge that they are very inventive.

Did you know that it was a Norwegian who invented the toilet seat? A great accomplishment indeed.

Of course, it took a Swede two years of intense research to perfect this important invention by adding a hole.

John

ROTFLMAO!!!

Good one there john - a laugh on a fridat arvo at work never goes astray.

Gus
Posted By: Karnis Re: Edgey EDGE - 09/30/11
Reading about the Kiwi's reminded me of a story my Uncle TeeDee told when stationed in the Pacific during WWII.

Seems the Americans and Kiwis were getting after each other with practical jokes or some such. My Uncle and his buddies went around and switched everyones false teeth from one glass to another. Lo and behold, an air raid siren went off and the Kiwis were next in line.

Communications were kind of garbled for a bit and he said most came back with teeth in hand hell bent on revenge. Took them awhile to sort out who wore what.
Originally Posted by Karnis
Reading about the Kiwi's reminded me of a story my Uncle TeeDee told when stationed in the Pacific during WWII.

Seems the Americans and Kiwis were getting after each other with practical jokes or some such. My Uncle and his buddies went around and switched everyones false teeth from one glass to another. Lo and behold, an air raid siren went off and the Kiwis were next in line.

Communications were kind of garbled for a bit and he said most came back with teeth in hand hell bent on revenge. Took them awhile to sort out who wore what.

Good on your Uncle for sorting them out .....they are a funny bunch the Kiwi's. Thankfully the ditch seperates us from them !!!

Gus
Posted By: blargon Re: Edgey EDGE - 09/30/11
Finally got my EDGE for my Howa 1500.
You would assume it would be a drop in fit.
Action dropped in ok but when tightening the two action screws, the bolt wouldnt cock to fire - and I hadnt even tightened the screws that firmly.
My gunsmith said that maybe the action wasnt sitting properly in the stock. Mine does have the pillars installed.

Just want to know if anyone else has had to tweak their EDGE to make the bolt operate as it should.

Dont wish to send it back to McMillan as I am a bit far away!!

Gus

Sounds like it could be the trigger rubbing against the stock.
Does the bolt turn and move in/out?
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Edgey EDGE - 09/30/11
I have an Edge on a Wby. Vanguard actioned rifle. I have installed a Timney trigger on it. Had the same problem you describe. Turns out that the problem was not enough clearance in the stock for the trigger mechanism. Had to Dremel out a couple of small cuts to accomodate it, took just a few minutes to do so.

The first cut was to allow the safety lever to move fully forward- the second was in the bridge area between the magazine cutout and stock.
Posted By: tzone Re: Edgey EDGE - 09/30/11
Which stock did you order for the Vanguard?
© 24hourcampfire