Home
Alright yes, the magnumitis has been cured, and I've seen too many pictures of the animals scenarshooter has killed with his little 308s. Granted, his results are not typical wink , I really do think a light weight little 308 is right up my alley.

I like the looks of the Remmy Model 7, and the Ultimate Shadow. Suggestions? Anybody selling any?
Kimber Montana .308. Buy one now and thank me later!
I was reading the thread about the 8400 Montanas in 308 and that's what got me started on this whole light weight thing!! Those sound so sweet... just wish they were about half the price.
If you think those are expensive, Scenarshooter's lightweight Nontypical probably runs close to $4000 before getting his $1700 scope. E
M70 Win with Zeiss Conquest scope.
"light weight little 308 is right up my alley."

Me too, it's my next rifle.
Tikka.

Get a Tikka, and you will hate your other guns. They will shoot anything you feed them, and they are light!
Being the right weight and shooting well are a long way from the only important things in selecting a rifle. E
I've got a stainless Tikka T3 Lite .308 with a Loopy 2.5x8x36 that I don't see myself getting rid of any time soon...or maybe ever.
Remington 700 TI
Tikkas got me thinkin... Those things do shoot.

I like my 84M
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

I like my 84M

I have an 8400 in .300 WSM and an 84M Varmint in .22-250, both Classics (I just don't like synthetics of any kind). If I were in the lightweight .308 market, I'd save up til I could get an 84M Classic (or even Select).

I like them guns!
If I went kimber, I would go in the Montana direction. I like the stainless/synthetic. Somebody just sell me a dang 308!
So you're not getting the STW? Thought you were ordering it today?

Originally Posted by TannerGun
If I went kimber, I would go in the Montana direction. I like the stainless/synthetic. Somebody just sell me a dang 308!

ARGH!!! stainless/synthetic??!!?? Blasphemy!!!

Oh, well, it's gonna be yer gun, not mine--if that's what trips your trigger, go for it. Heck, a Wally World 700 ADL can be had for $400 with a (cheep) scope. I have one in .243 and it shoots good...I had to ditch the ugly plastic stock for walnut though!
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Yes!!

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Tikka.

Get a Tikka, and you will hate your other guns. They will shoot anything you feed them, and they are light!

Hate to disagree with my friend DC223 but if he's recommending a Tikka T3 I'm gonna have to! grin
If the question is light weight, the answer is NULA. Check out one of Melvin Forbes' M20 rifles...jim

ULA rifle owner since '93
Don't know too many highschoolers with funds for a NULA, but what do I know?

I have a Kimber Select 84M in 257R. I love the rifle. I was in Cabelas a few days ago and handled a used Montana in 308. All I can say is wow. It was so sweet and light. I need to re-arrange my safe and see if I can squeeze one more rifle in there. wink
So far, I really like my Ruger 77 Hawkeye All-Weather in 308. I guess its not a light-weight, but its not really heavy either. Its every bit as trim and handles every bit as well as my M70 Featherweight.

I just wanted something tough-as-nails and weather resistant.
TannerGun,

The .308 Win is excellent for all North American game save the biggest bears. It gives up little or nothing to the venerable '06 when barrel length is 22".

While I have "larger" caliber rifles, my .308 is my preferred big game rifle.

You will be happy with a lightweight .308 Win. You can carry it all day with nary an inconvenience, and it won't recoil you back to the Dark Ages. And best of all, any animal you harvest with it won't know that it gave up its ghost to a .308 Win.

Buena Suerte,

R
Picked up an older Rem 700 ADL, plastic stock, open sights. Stumbled across a McMillan that had been made for Hill Country Rifles for cheap. Knocked the sights off and deep sixed the plastic stock. Added BDL bottom metal to fill the hole in the Mickey.
She ain't much to look at, but she shoots like a laser.

g
This whole thread is making me want to take my Merkel K1 single-shot .308 out again, as it hasn't been hunted for several years. Less than 6-3/4 pound with scope, and the buttstock wood and action engraving sure are purty!

Lightweight .308's are great!
I'd recommend a model 7
I handled a savage lightweight in a wood stock last night, .308
damn, I was impressed. looked like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was seriously impressed. (surprised)
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Don't know too many highschoolers with funds for a NULA, but what do I know?
exactly.
I like it. Is the forearm as wide as it looks in the pictures?
It's really not wide at all, it's like a remington model seven (aprox)

light little bugger but I didn't spot any plastic junk on it, I thought it was pretty sweet.

If that particular one I had handled would have been a .243... whistle

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This whole thread is making me want to take my Merkel K1 single-shot .308 out again, as it hasn't been hunted for several years. Less than 6-3/4 pound with scope, and the buttstock wood and action engraving sure are purty!

Lightweight .308's are great!

I know this is a .308 conversation, but I would like to have one of those or a Blaser in .257 Weatherby.

John

That's what I did about half a year ago and it was one of the smartest moves I've ever made.. Could not be happier!!!! smile
Remington TI in 308. Great accurate gun.

ddj

[Linked Image]
Stumbled across a mint ss 308 22" mountain tube the other day at the shop. guy wanted $100 for it. pm me and I can forward info if interested.....

W
Tikka T3 Lite in .308 Win. This has to be the best rifle buy i've made in 10 years. Lite but not too lite so that its hard to hold steady. I have 2 788s and a BLR in .308 and am considering selling them to buy other T3 Lites.
I just handled a Tikka T3 Ultra-Lite in 308. It has the fluted barrel vs the standard barrel. I don't think the rifle weighs 6 pounds. I might have thought twice about my Ruger if I had seen this one first.
Originally Posted by Dan360
I just handled a Tikka T3 Ultra-Lite in 308. It has the fluted barrel vs the standard barrel. I don't think the rifle weighs 6 pounds. I might have thought twice about my Ruger if I had seen this one first.

I recomfirmed my love of my T3 at the range this afternoon. Its light,easy to shoot well and accurate. I tried three 30-06 loads that I found in the garage. Federal 180gr Partitions,Federal 180gr Accubonds,and Nosler Trophy Grade 165gr Accubonds.

All three were right around an inch,but the coolest part was the POI of the three loads was close enough that I couldn't tell if it was the difference in ammo or the wind causing the difference in impact.

It just seems to shoot everything well.
One thing about a Tikka T3 Lite. Tney only come in long-action. For short-action calibers they block part of the magazine. I guess my point would be, if you're gonna be stuck with a long action, you might as well shoot a long-action cartridge. I have a T3 Lite in .30-06, and it is a splendid rifle. I am considering another one, but this time in .270 Win. If you're not locked into a .308, I would suggest considering a .270 Win, which will give you good performance without beating you up any more than a .308. I'm not dissing the .308, mind you, just saying if you are limited to a long action, make the most of it. The T3 Lite in a long action seems as light as a lot of companies short-action rifles, or lighter.
i would really like to round up another tang safety 77rsi in .308. with a vari-x II 2-7, that made for a cool little lightweight.
I can think of a lot of good rifles in 308 I would say I'd get, but can only say what I got:
7lb 10 oz scoped no ammo balances like I hoped
[Linked Image]

Mdl 70 Stainless classic featherweight Leupold 4x
Originally Posted by rick35
i would really like to round up another tang safety 77rsi in .308. with a vari-x II 2-7, that made for a cool little lightweight.

that would tempt me too
True - not what I would call a "long range" 308, but boy was it fun to carry around and look at all day. (4x on mine though)

[Linked Image]

Doe is from last weekend - great times.
Damn. I really need to round up one of those Ti remmies. Those damn things look so perfect.
I currently have two, a Ruger and a Savage .308, both in stainless steel. Accutrigger on the Savage and an aftermarket Timney on the Ruger. Long ago I had the barrel on the Ruger shortened to 20". (My goal was to get much closer to Model 94 weight. I failed, but she is light enough.) I can recommend either, and for the past several years Ruger has short, light barrels from the factory; they didn't when I cut mine down. My Savage .308 IS more accurate but only for about 10rds or so. The next 5-10 rds...they are even. Get near 20 rds through each and the Ruger takes over. The Savage barrel fouls more for some reason that a bore scope might see. The Ruger will occasionally turn in a stunning group, but I consider it to be a 1.25-1.50" gun (5 shot groups), but it'll do it clean or dirty, hot or cold. (To be fair to it, it only has a 1.5-6x scope on it with heavy crosshairs.) But, with the scope, sling and loaded it is a couple onces over 8 pounds. I like 'em both, but I'm partial to the ease I can swap barrels on my Savages. (I turned another Savage into a .260 rem which is an honest .6-.7" gun consistently - again 5 shot groups.) It's EASY to do and gives me a lot of flexibility when I get bored. (.22-250/.243/.260/7-08/.308/.338Fed/.358) Hope I further muddied the waters for ya.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I handled a savage lightweight in a wood stock last night, .308
damn, I was impressed. looked like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was seriously impressed. (surprised)

Wow! I haven't seen that one from Savage. Their 14's and 114s have turned into some good looking rifles. Too good looking maybe, because I'd break out the barrel wrench and scratch the rifle during a barrel swap. That one has a different barrel nut anyway, so my barrel nut wrench wouldn't work. Guess I better stick with the "ugly" ones.
Can anyone comment on the savage light weight hunters?
At Sportmans, I handled a Rem 700 SA with a heavy varmint barrel chambers in 308 with only a 20 inch length on it, and it came from the factory with a Hogue Rubber Stock on it...

while I am not, nor ever have been impressed with the 308 round, I sure liked that set up...

Hogue Stocks are available, but I am going to put together a similar set up together chambered in 260 or 7/08, probably to be followed by a 243, with an 18 inch barrel instead, and a Hogue Youth Stock, to be an inch shorter or so...

even tho I have 5 magnums in my gun cabinet, I don't see much need for them.... 2 are kept for sentimental reasons and will pass to my son, one is so accurate that it is against my religion to get rid of a super accurate rifle...

the other two, one's a Savage 116, is going to get a bolt fact change and be something else.. and the other is a Model 70 which is going to get a bolt borrowed from one of my other model 70s chambered into something else also...
Originally Posted by ruger438
Originally Posted by rick35

that would tempt me too

add me to that list, but in any caliber...

the 308 I could load to be like a 30/30 or so.. which would be fine for where I hunt, and would be a joy to carry..

++++1
Tikkas got me thinkin... Those things do shoot.

good alternative to the kimber montana if on a budget. You'd have no regrets there.
Them Tikkas are just kinda ugly wink
Can anyone comment on the savage light weight hunters?
I took another look at the one we have locally, I happens to be in 7-08

And I was wrong, it has plenty of plastic on it, magazine, bottom "metal"

I don't like it as much as I thought i did, but it's still fairly cool.

I figured to be that light w/ a wood stock there'd have to be some plastic. Kinda discouraging.
2 Montanas for sale on the classifieds today....
Originally Posted by StrayDog
M70 Win with Zeiss Conquest scope.

Yup, same here. Actually, I have two SS Featherweights in 308, one in a fiberglass G&H stock and the other in an EDGE. I like the one in the fiberglass stock better, FWIW.

A 308 is almost boringly efficient. The 30-06, 270, various magnums, etc, accumulate and then just sit idle in the safe, while the 308's get taken on hunting trips. "Go-to" gets to go...
Nothing wrong with the 308 and yes, it is surprisingly "efficient".
Without a doubt, my fav 308 is my Remington Mountain rifle. I ditched the walnut stock and plunked it in a laminated MR takeoff, sans bedding or anything. Still has the foreend tip pressure. Shoots great and handles great, too. Second choice would be a T3 Lite....
Get a Rem 760.lol!
not too heavy and accurate. I have taken all my AZ deer with my little 760 308. Love the rifle, spits all bullets very accurately.

Kique
Thinkin something in model 7 will be the ticket, topped hopefully by a 6x loopy. But the darn things just aren't that light, despite the stub barrel.
Enrique,

You have an excellent rifle.

R
2 Montanas for sale on the classifieds today....

Now down to one...
Those Montanas will haunt my dreams, just outta my budget.
Decided on a 700 Mountain Rifle in 280 Rem, topped by a VX-II 4-12x40 non adjustable Objective. Whole package for 6 big ones!
I would consider at a Kimber, but they choose to ignore the left-hand market... frown
Alright yes, the magnumitis has been cured, and I've seen too many pictures of the animals scenarshooter has killed with his little 308s. Granted, his results are not typical wink , I really do think a light weight little 308 is right up my alley.

I like the looks of the Remmy Model 7, and the Ultimate Shadow. Suggestions? Anybody selling any?

Brad was selling a Kimber Montana. Not sure if it sold yet, but there it is and he has verified it can shoot!
That went quickly...

Absolutely.
Originally Posted by DELGUE
I would consider at a Kimber, but they choose to ignore the left-hand market... frown

Well then how about a BLR...

[Linked Image]
My first generation Remington Ti .308 sits in a McMillian Hunter's Edge stock, 13.5 LOP, stainless studs with a PT&G machined aluminum trigger guard & bolt shroud. Talley rings hold a Leupold 2.5-8x36 with B&C reticle. 5 3/4 lbs suits me fine.
[Linked Image]
Sheeist that's light.
© 24hourcampfire