Home
Last season I found myself taking a Savage Precision Carbine (.308, 20" barrel) almost every time I went out. Also have a .270 Sendero that I take from time to time. This year I have been doing a good bit of shooting with a Remington 700p, having thoughts about taking it.

not necessarily advocating a heavy rifle, but what I've found is that I shoot my heavy rifles a lot more at the range. They're more consistently accurate for long shot strings (not as much sitting around waiting on the barrel to cool) and shoot better off sandbags. I develop confidence in the rifle, and then I tend to want to hunt with the rifle that I have confidence in.

I have hoofed the Savage PC around quite a bit. The 20" barrel makes it very portable to me, despite any weight disadvantage. I will admit that I don't care to transport the Sendero anywhere other than to the stand and back. I think its the length of the thing as much as it is the weight (balance isn't great either).

Just curious if anyone else is doing most of their hunting with a "heavy" rifle.
My favorite "deer rifle" at the moment is a 20" .308 heavy barrel M700. Same goes for my father. We don't do a lot of walking around here and are generally within a half-mile of a truck or ATV. I once shot Senderos, but hated the balance, just as you mentioned. My brother hunts a .270win Sendero but is not much of a shooter. I suppose the extra weight out front makes it easier for hit to hit with from a rested position.

As I do a lot of hunting from box blinds, sometimes in relatively tight quarters, I still think that something along the lines of a 10lb 22"-barreled 7mmSAUM or 7mmWSM would be great. It would be easy to shoot, steady to hold, flat enough for quick shots inside of 400yds, and still short enough to turn around inside a blind.
I do a lot of walking and have been known to carry some 8+ plus rifles around. I don't know if that's "heavy" or not to you. My bull barreled 6mm Rem and 375 H&H both are close to 9 lbs and get a little tiring after 10 miles or so. They are accurate so I put up with them though. If the mood strikes, I will carry a lighter rifle at times too. Ruger ultralight 6.5X55 Sweede and some Savage 99s are much easier to carry but not as accurate IME.

It all depends on the situation and my mood.
I regularly carry my FN PBR XP in .308 Win with the 24" heavy barrel when hunting South Dakota West River mule deer. It's a little heavy, but when I need to settle in for a long shot, I don't wonder if the rifle will take care of business, and it's well-balanced for off-hand shooting when necessary as well.
I have a Ruger 77 V in 220 Swift that tips the scale at about 9 1/2 lbs with scope and sling but it never has bothered me much toting it around.What its capable of far outweighs the extra pounds..Oh BTW did I mention I was a Swift fan!! cool
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
I have a Ruger 77 V in 220 Swift that tips the scale at about 9 1/2 lbs with scope and sling but it never has bothered me much toting it around.What its capable of far outweighs the extra pounds..Oh BTW did I mention I was a Swift fan!! cool

I have the same set up and carried it a lot of miles back in my walk-around woodchuck shooting days.

Today I often take my Remington 700 XCR (compact tactical rifle version) in .223 hunting. At 20 inches and fluted the barrel's not terrifically heavy, but noticably heavier than a lot of rifles.
My deer rifle is a custom. Pre 64 model 70, Boyds stock, PacNor #4 contour barrel at 27.5 inches. I carry it some good distances, but as has been noted by others in this thread, when it comes time to shoot from a rest at a deer waaaaayyyy out there, it works - and well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] OOPS wrong 'trophy' dont tell my wife I posted this one of her!!!! smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Of course, some times I like to go "old School" with my weapons and hunting.....

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/DSC01687_0095.jpg[/img]

It is good to note that if the wind is right, Warties are not hard to sneak up on as they are nearly totally blind. A shot such as this one is also easier to do if said wrthog is already dead.... smile 340 Tyrannosaur style
Anybody looked at a Kimber Classic LongMaster in 308 lately...fluted 24" SS HB barrel books at 7lb 5oz's bare nekkid but feels terrific in my hands ... and allus just barely out my wallet's reach whenever I find one. Oh Well
Ron
I've run Senderos a bit hunting and didn't mind them that much. Some of my sporters are just as heavy. Much easier to hold a 9-10lb rig steady IMO, though I run some 7-8lbers too. I personally don't care for a hunting rig that's less than 7.
Some differ from my opinion, but I think that a comfortable rifle wieght has something and maybe a lot to do with ones overal size and muscle mass. I am 6'3" and a pretty fit 245lbs (see picture of me next to a pretty good sized warthog, above) so a 10lb rifle to me is no big deal and my much travelled and carried 416 Rigby comes in at over 12lbs all up and ready to hunt. Might have to do with hand size as well, don't know for sure. My ring finger is a size 13 so the mitts are a tad larger than some, I suppose (see photo of said mitts wrapped around mule deer antlers above....). Either of my rifles or even my 'lightweight' 9.5lb 340 might feel like a boat anchor to a person of more average size. Regardless of ones size etc. I think it is hard to argue that, especially in windy conditions, a svelte light barreled rifle is going to be as easy to hold steady and solid as one that is at least a bit muzzle heavy. Mine are typically muzzle heavy enough that to carry them balanced evenly and one handed I grip them in fromt of the forward lug and action screw. Might feel aqckward for some, but is pretty normal for me as I have been doing it for years.
All my deer rifles have #3 contours. They very from a pretty heavy 26" 25-06AI, to a fairly light, 22", .243. The stock makes the differnce. I'll take heavy over light any day, but just because I like to actually hit stuff.
I have an H&R ultra hunter in .243win 24" bull barrel. When the mood strikes me Ill take it out to the stand. Cant say its a hell of a lot heavier than my other big game rifles but not something I would carry all day. Its a nice change of pace and laser accurate.
I think my lightest rifles wear number 4 contours, considered heavy weights by most here. SO if I am hunting it will be with a heavy barreled rifle.
Originally Posted by selmer
I regularly carry my FN PBR XP in .308 Win with the 24" heavy barrel when hunting South Dakota West River mule deer. It's a little heavy, but when I need to settle in for a long shot, I don't wonder if the rifle will take care of business, and it's well-balanced for off-hand shooting when necessary as well.

Same here. I used my FN PBR XP this year but mine is chambered in 300 wsm for those extra long shots whistle
Not me, by a long shot. Light, lean and accurate are not a problem here.
Last year I hunted with a heavy barreled Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223.

The 20" barrel was perfect for what I used it for, the rifle is heavy but it totes well and its easy to shoot.

1/2" groups make it tote even better....
I carry my Vanguard Varmint Special in .223 that is .740 at the muzzle.
Yeah, my favorite rifle is a Model 70 with a 28 inch heavy magnum contoured Pac Nor barrel on it...
Originally Posted by verhoositz
Anybody looked at a Kimber Classic LongMaster in 308 lately...fluted 24" SS HB barrel books at 7lb 5oz's bare nekkid but feels terrific in my hands ... and allus just barely out my wallet's reach whenever I find one. Oh Well
Ron

Yes, love mine and have no problem carrying it about the hills .and it's a shooter.
N8dawg6: I actually prefer heavy barreled Rifles for my Deer and Antelope pursuits anymore.
My first "heavy barreled" Rifle was a Ruger 77 Varmint in 7mm Remington Express (280 Remington!) caliber back in 1979 - this Rifle was a Mule Deer and Antelope killing machine!
Since that first venture into heavy barrel Hunting Rifles I have used many more including a WONDERFUL Remington 700 Sendero in 270 Winchester, a Remington 700 VLS in 260 Remington, a Ruger 77 V/T in 25/06, a custom built 27" heavy barreled pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 240 Weatherby, a Remington 700 Varmint in 308 Winchester, a custom pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 280 Remington with 25" semi-heavy barrel and several models of heavy barreled Rifles in 243 Winchester caliber.
One of my Elk Hunting partners uses a 338/378 Weatherby custom Rifle with a 30" semi-heavy barrel - this Rifle IS an Elk killing machine! To date this Rifle has accounted for 19 Bull Elk! Some at ranges so long I care not to relay them here and now (would probably create a diversion from your great posting).
The simple fact is if "longer" range is a definite possibility then the heavy barrel Rifles pay for their weight in better "field accuracy".
If you doubt this then just go to any 1,000 yard BR match and count up all the 6 1/4 pound Rifles being used there in!
I Hunt mostly in the west and on public lands - the heavy barreled Rifles come in handy quite often for this longer ranged Hunting.
I have carried my Sendero literally for miles on end and with a good sling and a "Hunters pace" it is not a burden - it IS an asset. And I have never had to rely on a string of shots with this Rifle and its 8.5x25 Leupold variable scope - in fact I don't think I have ever fired more than one shot at a game animal with this Rifle/scope combo.
With a heavier Rifle you will have a steadier sight picture and a less traumatic trigger pull effect under field conditions.
Get a better sling and pack that Sendero - it'll pay off.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I like a standard weight sporter for stand hunting whitetail where I may need to shoot + 300 yards, and a Tikka T3 Lite or Rem 700 SPS for walking.
Yep. A 26" lilja number 4 fluted in an English walnut stock for me , clambered in 280ai. I'll find out in 2 days how well I like it on my elk hunt. So far I love it.
My .280AI weighs 8lbs 11 oz field ready and my .340 weighs 9.25 lbs all up and I use a Heavy Barrel Tikka .30/06 that weighs in at an even 10lbs.

I like heavier guns.
9 lbs, 2.6 oz.'s for my 280ai, empty.
Just right for me.
For years I toted a remington varminter in .243 everywhere. It was a favorite.
My very first centerfire rifle was an old Rem. M700 Varmint Special in .243. Waaaay more accurate than I could ever hope to be, but a lot of weight to be carrying through the hills of PA.
I bought it from a N.J. State Trooper friend of my Dad's, who took a large black bear with it.
One of the many that I should've kept.

Jeff
I've built all my rigs pretty light. Seems like most of them I've built like I was going on a sheep hunt. Nothing wrong with them at all but my favorite rifle is a #3 on a vanguard. I've been playin with some stuff that 6 months ago I'd have called heavy. "I" can shoot a rifle a bit better with a lil more weight. So Monday I ordered up a #4 krieger. I still have a few rifles to take on hunts where I'll walk a bunch(like Montana next week) but kinda like you other fellas I slend most of the time in a stand hunting deer.
I used to carry "heavy" rifles but not so much anymore. After building a few "faux-ti's" and shooting them at distance I found that I have no issues running them out on steel much further than I'd ever shoot them at deer. I'm very comfortable/confident with them even at long range. At any distance that I'd feel comfortable shooting a deer I'd reach for one of my "light" rifles and not feel the slightest bit handicapped. My light rifles shoot very well.
If my rifles or should I say me....could shoot the way you shoot your light rifles I'd be doin the same thing you are. I've got a long way to go but tryin....grin.
Just exchanged some pm's with Eddie and plan on rebarreling my 243 when I can with a 3 or 4?......was gonna be fairly soon but wife just informed me our central unit is out....bummer. I'm thinkin a 22" #3 or 4 in a classic would work real well for me as my main deer rifle in these parts. If I'm gonna walk a bunch I've still got light guns in 25-06AI,708,& 280AI. Guess I'm still in the tryin stuff learning stage of things.
I hear you. Another thing I like on a light rifle is a light trigger. I've been running some 10-12oz rifle basic triggers in my light rifles and I find they help me a bunch when it comes to "shootability"
75% of my hunting is from an elevated stand, so the added weight doesn't hurt.

My SPS Tactical has a 20" barrel so the weight isn't unbarrable to carry around. It measures .850 at the muzzle. Its in .223 and is super accurate, I have a pard who has one in .308 Win and it shoots 1/2" groups as well.

[Linked Image]
For a long time the only rifle I had was a Browning Safari Grade Heavy Barrel .243 with a Unertl Varmint scope. I killed a bunch of deer, groundhogs and crows with that ten pound rig. I still have the rifle and scope but they are no longer together. I lost one of the target base blocks for the scope and haven't found a replacement. Makes me want to put it back together and hunt with it!
Originally Posted by Chrome
[Linked Image]

glad to see that i'm not the only one who will slap a 2-7x scope on a "tactical" rifle ...

after my experience comparing the savage PC and the remington 700p, i think that if i could do it again, i would have gone with the remington sps tactical instead of the PC. the 1-12" twist of the remington seems to like the 150 and 165 g hunting bullets much better than the 1-10" twist of the savage does.
I remember when it used to popular to buy a Remington M700V and
cut the barrel down for big game hunting. Dont see it much
anymore.
I have three Rem 40-x's that I use on occasion when I'm hunting where I don't have to WALK very far but may have to SHOOT far (i.e. at one of our bigger food plots) - a .308, a 30/06 and a 7 MM Rem mag. Very steady when Mr. Big shows up and the blood pressure and pulse rate take off.
Brad....is RB the trigger of your choice right now? I've a timney on the vanguard that's pretty sweet and the jewel on my wifes 250AI is awesome!....I've heard good things about RB and shilen. I agree the lighter you go the more important a good trigger is. I'm not givin up on light guns as my model 7 708 is great!.....will be better when I get a Edge for it. It's got a MR tube on it and thinks it's a big gun. Kinda a faux faux ti........grin.
[Linked Image]

How heavy is heavy? This little brute has got it done on many occasions. Browning M1000 Eclipse Abolt in 300 WinMag. I think it goes 11.25 all in. With 168 Barnes TSX, it kills like a black widow. wink
Shootist, NICE whitetail buck! I will bet folding money that you shouted "PRAISE THE LORD!" when you walked up on THAT one! And a couple of my rifles are in that same weight class. I see that you, too are a larger man. Kinda goes with my theory that what might be heavy to a normal sized person is not so bad as far as a percentage of body weight to you and I.
Originally Posted by BradArnett
I hear you. Another thing I like on a light rifle is a light trigger. I've been running some 10-12oz rifle basic triggers in my light rifles and I find they help me a bunch when it comes to "shootability"

AMEN AND AMEN! X1000 my fav rifles trigger breaks squeaky clean at 30 ounces. And it is on a pretty large caliber, 340 Tyrannosaur. I even spent the money for a NECG trigger on my 416 Rigby. Good shot placement is improtant on all manner of game, maybe even more so on big and bitey stuff.
I don't own anything that has a tube bigger than a #3 contour and that's only cuzz it's needed for the size of the hole.
But, you also admitted in another thread that you ahve yet to shoot at a deer more than 200 yards out, IIRC.

Might make a difference?
My wife and I were walking a bush line into a clear cut looking for a cow moose for her to shoot when that guy took off on the dead run. I whistled him to a stop and busted him. He died on the way to the ground. I did say "Praise the Lord," but not until I got him loaded into the back of the 4X4. pretty good lift - close to 300#.

I was a lot younger then, and a lot tougher. wink
Packed a Remington 700 BDL Varminter 25.06 for the best part of 20 years for whitetails and muleys. It would shoot half inch groups with Federal Premium 117 Sierra Gamekings all day long, and does as well now with Fusion 120s. More one shot DRT kills with that rifle than everything else combined. Indeed, sometimes shockingly so!

In fact, the first time I sighted it in, using handloads a friend made up for me, I shot a 1/8" 3 shot group. Best group I've ever done. My highly competitive friend went kinda quiet on me for a while after that! And I don't think my Dad quit grinning for the rest of day!

Confidence is half the battle, eh?

However, seems as I approached 50ish it started gaining a pound or so every hunting season. Finally had to find something a little lighter to pack.

Originally Posted by n8dawg6
after my experience comparing the savage PC and the remington 700p, i think that if i could do it again, i would have gone with the remington sps tactical instead of the PC. the 1-12" twist of the remington seems to like the 150 and 165 g hunting bullets much better than the 1-10" twist of the savage does.

The Savage PC makes a neat deer stand rifle, the short 20" barrel with an average size scope off sets the heavy weight.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The exact same load shoots .4" in the Rem SPS

[Linked Image]

I'm like you, I think I like the Rem SPS mo better.......
I've shot quite a few deer with my Ruger Target rifle in 220 Swift wearing a 6x24 Bausch&Lomb with 55gr Hornady Spire Points. Makes them DRT with proper shot placement. It's the first year model without the 2 stage trigger so I put a RB in it, pretty sweet.
Originally Posted by Chrome
The Savage PC makes a neat deer stand rifle, the short 20" barrel with an average size scope off sets the heavy weight.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The exact same load shoots .4" in the Rem SPS

I'm like you, I think I like the Rem SPS mo better.......

so ... what you're tellin me is that its still ok for me to buy the sps tactical and own one of each? whistle
Actually two of each, one in .308 Win and .223 laugh
i had a 300 win mag sendero as my beanfield rifle for a couple years. i hunt deer out of box stands on the edges of bean or wheat fields. great rifle, accurate, and really laid them down across fields. however, it was just too long and too heavy, so i sold it. if the weight/length doesn't bother you, i'd say stick with em'.
I don't know about doing "most" of my hunting with a heavy-barrel rifle as asked by the OP, but some, yes, absolutely.

A good ol Rem 700 VS .308 Win has accompanied me on many hunts, for critters large and small.

Used a 7mm mag Sendero for a couple of years.

Have a .300 WSM Model 70 Coyote - which has a modestly heavy barrel.

Often I'll pack a traditional sporter-weight rifle, but the heavy barrel jobs come out fairly frequently. I tend to shoot them better than I do my lighter rifles.

A buddy has done all of his hunting the past nine or ten years with a Rem 700 LTR in .308 Win. Reasonably light hunting rifle, with a fairly stout, short, fluted barrel. Very effective in his hands...

Guy
I've got two Rem Senderos and one CZ550 Varmint heavy barrel rifles.They are really not the kind of rifle you would want to pack around on a mountain hunt,but off the bench or the blind,they are great shooting rifles.
7mag Sendero
[Linked Image]
7STW Sendero
[Linked Image]
CZ 550 Varmint 308 Win.
[Linked Image]
I carry a 24" barrel, .850 muzzle diameter in 7 Wby. It is very accurate.
© 24hourcampfire