Home
Posted By: rbodenburg529 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
I am looking to buy a big game rifle and have been asking for input. Most say get a 30-06 it's all you'll ever need. Some say the 300 win mag is great for range power. I'm looking at a 338 just to be a little different and bigger than the guys I hunt with. What's your take on this round or any other good ideas. Thanks. Ryan.
Posted By: TXbluelacy Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
I have always hunted with rifles and calibers that were different from the norm, partially because I am left handed, and left handed bolt actions were/are not readily available in many choices. Also, because as a reloader, I didn't want to succumb to the status quo based solely on the availability of factory ammo at Walmart. I have hunted with lever actions in 44mag, 35Rem, and 45/70, pump action rifles in 35 Whelen, single shot rifles in 35 Whelen, 300 win mag, and other calibers. This year, I bought and hunted with for the very first time, a bolt action 30-06.

I love it.

I'm hooked on it. It weighs the same with a scope that my Marlin 1894 44mag, it is as quick handling as my Marlin Guide Gun, it shoots as flat as my 300 win mag for all the ranges I hunt, and it blew through a deer lengthwise using a cheap Remington Corelokt 150 PSP. ...and with recoil milder than I've grown accustomed to.

I do understand your desire to be different. Hell, I plan to blast a hog this year with my 458 Lott just to see what happens. BUT, as absolutely boring as it is, the 30-06 has so much going for it, that it really is kinda stupid to pass it by.

I think the 300 winmag is really only needed if you truly and honestly have 400yd shots to deal with or are going for elk, nilgai, moose, bear, or some other heavier bodied animal other than just deer or hogs.

Posted By: rbodenburg529 Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
At this point I'm not looking for a white tail gun because we cannot use rifles to hunt here. I'm buying with the plan on an elk hunt in a few years. I'm looking at the 338 for the energy it carrys out to 500 yards. And by ballistic charts has only about 6 inches more drop at that distance but flying slower may be more effected by wind?
Posted By: dawaba Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
I own, and shoot, several rifles in both calibers. I very much like the .338 WM with the 210 Nosler Partition. The recoil is noticeably less than with the 250-gr pills, and the game seems to die just as surely when fairly hit by the smaller bullet.

And...I took my second biggest elk, a 340-class Arizona bull, with one shot at 285 yards with the 210 Nosler.
Posted By: PaleRider Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
You don't say how much experience you have you have shooting, but judging from your inquiry I would assume you've not shot large rifles too much.
A 338 mag is not a good choice for a gun to learn to shoot with while learning to manage recoil.
It also doesn't give you much over a 300 win mag unless shooting heavy bullets.
I'd suggest getting a good 30.06 and learning to master it, then move up to a larger gun.
The 30.06 will take down any elk walking, and shot placement and bullet performance trumps power and poorly placed shots every time.
If you absolutely have to have a magnum, get the 300 and start with lighter bullets until you get good with it, then move up to heavier slugs - or consider a 7mm mag.
A 7mm mag is alot easier to shoot well than either that you mentioned, and carry alot of energy down range due to the high ballistic coefficients of the bullets used in them.

Good Luck whatever you decide to do, and hope I'm not offbase in my assumptions,
Ted smile
You are not off. Spot on actually. I have experience shooting distance with a 308 snyper type rifle. Savage bolt action, bypod, 4-10x40. Etc. out to 500 yds. I also have experience shooting a bolt action 12ga slug gun accurately to 200 yards. I'm not exactly how a 338 compairs to a 3" mag but I'm thinking there on a similar plain. I also don't want the typical north American hunting rifle. 30-06. I do appreciate your input. Thanks. Keep it coming.
Posted By: 458Win Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
Sounds to me like you are leaning toward the .338 - so why not get one.
They are a great round that, with proper bullets, will suffice for any game in the world.
Posted By: orion03 Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
If you can handle a 3" slug gun a 338 won't be a problem. I would choose the 338 over the 300 just because of the heavier slugs. Kinda sounds like that's what you want and it would be a good choice as long as you put in a lot of practice time with it. Good luck!
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
If you are looking for a longer range deer rifle now with the thought of using it for elk later, a 300 WM would be plenty big enough. If you plan to hunt in an area where brown/grizzly bears could be encountered, then I might consider getting a 338 WM. While I've hunted both deer and elk with my 300 WM there is nothing wrong with a 338 WM. My hunting buddy now uses a 338 WM for pretty much everything even though he has taken deer at nearly 500 yards with a 270 Win. Just my opinion, the main consideration is what your are most comfortable in shooting.
That is my question. Why not? As compaired to a 30-06 there isn't as many bullets and loads to choose from but it looks to be a fair spread. Also a co worker has one for an African trip he took and now loads reduced rounds for white tail out of state. Is it a gun, round that can be managed to be accurate at 500 yds or is the recoil too much?
Posted By: Fifth Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
Originally Posted by rbodenburg529
......just to be a little different and bigger than the guys I hunt with.

[Linked Image]

To answer your question: The 300 WM has better S.D. and range up to 220/225 grain bullets. Anything heavier than 225gn the 338 has the advantage.
Posted By: Dan360 Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
I like both cartridges and would hunt most of the same game with either one. If you're an antelope to moose guy, the 300 is just fine. If your menu includes anything that charges or bites back, the 338 is just a bit more confidence.

I like the 338 in the timber up close. It does great with a shorter barrel and plays well as a North American dangerous game type cartridge.

I like the 300 in open country because I'm most likely to shoot from the prone and I don't mind a longer barrel at that point because it adds a bit more weight to the gun. The 300 is also near my upper limit of recoil tolerance when shooting from the prone.
Recoil can be managed and it will definitely get the job done at 500, but will you really need to shoot that far? Be far better to close the distance if at all possible IMO.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
What's your take on this round or any other good ideas. Thanks. Ryan.

Pass on the big boomers, buy a 270, 7/08, 308, or .30-06, and shoot the hell out of it.

Don't concern yourself with what your buddies are shooting. Only concern yourself with what you are shooting at.
I don't need to hunt at that range but it would be nice to shoot at that range. Thank you all for you're info now on to the rifle itself. Will anyone say the savage 116 bear hunter is a bad choice. I love their accue trigger in my shotgun and have no reason to think they produce a poor rifle? Again very new to the long guns.
You could always get a 338 Lapua and then I know you could make those 500 yard shots and your buddies won't have one either.
I looked into it buy it seems they don't make much hunting amo for it. Just match grade stuff. Very effective for a snyper but not great for the big game to just punch clean holes. I'm kinda looking for the one gun for any job. I know that doesn't always work but I think the 338 wm will do everything I want.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
So would a .270 or 7/08, and not beat the hell out of you or your bank account.

But what the hell would I know.. Get your .338 WM and rock on.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
Be a little different and get the classy newer 300 wsm, not that there is anything at all wrong with your choices but it is kind of a win win situation. Yeah, I guess there is a little pun intended grin. I carried my 338 win mag the last 8 days out in the field while elk hunting and I know it will get the job done without question. However after owning the 300 win mag, 338 win mag and 300wsm I'd opt for the short mag since it is a little more user friendly (less felt recoil) and will still be sufficient for your needs. Just an idea, take it for what it is worth......Oh, and don't forget the good ol 7mm rem mag, it is also a dandy.
I looked into it buy it seems they don't make much hunting amo for it. Just match grade stuff. Very effective for a snyper but not great for the big game to just punch clean holes. I'm kinda looking for the one gun for any job. I know that doesn't always work but I think the 338 wm will do everything I want.

I may have scanned this thread a bit quickly and missed it, but I didn't see anything about what animals you plan on hunting. Unless you're just going to punch holes in paper, the answer to that question should drive your selection. What animals will you hunt most often? And what's the biggest animal you will definitely hunt with your new rifle?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

I may have scanned this thread a bit quickly and missed it, but I didn't see anything about what animals you plan on hunting. Unless you're just going to punch holes in paper, the answer to that question should drive your selection. What animals will you hunt most often? And what's the biggest animal you will definitely hunt with your new rifle?

He said elk....
Posted By: greentimber Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
300WSM. Everything you need for elk to 600y+
Posted By: Alex38 Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/14/11
7WSM Would fit the bill at well, and your friends are unlikely to have one.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
I am looking to buy a big game rifle and have been asking for input. Most say get a 30-06 it's all you'll ever need. Some say the 300 win mag is great for range power. I'm looking at a 338 just to be a little different and bigger than the guys I hunt with. What's your take on this round or any other good ideas. Thanks. Ryan.

I own and hunt with both. For bullets up to 200 grains I like the 300 Win, for bullets over 200 I like the 338. You dont specify what game animals you intend to hunt in your post. If your looking for a dedicted elk rifle I would go with the 338. If your looking for an all around big game rifle, the 300 is the way to go
Posted By: rbodenburg529 Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
After all the input Im thinking I'm just going to get the 338 like I wanted in the first place. Anyone want to comment on a rifle now? I like my savage 12ga. Wouldn't mind having another. I would rather a synthetic gun because I won't drag nice wood thru brush and all the elements.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
I like the stainless Rugers
I just looked. Nice looking firearm. Is that 800-1000 $ on pace for new and quality?
After all the input Im thinking I'm just going to get the 338 like I wanted in the first place. Anyone want to comment on a rifle now? I like my savage 12ga. Wouldn't mind having another. I would rather a synthetic gun because I won't drag nice wood thru brush and all the elements.

It's about feel, not looks. When you're burning that much powder, fit is essential. Handle a bunch of rifles, & see what feels most natural to you. Then surf the classifieds here for a killer deal on a used one.

FC
Posted By: colodog Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
I'd call your Buddy that has a .338 and test drive his first, full and reduced loads in his rifle.
It's a fine cartridge and if it's what you want, do it, but knowing what to expect will make the choice easier. smile
We plan to do that after deer season. I think that will be the deciding factor. I'll either love or hate it. I guess talking about it only goes so far. Letting a few rounds fly will put it in prospective.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
Sounds like you had your mind made up before you even asked the question.....
I did a bit. But without the ability to take rifles for a test drive before you buy one, I was looking for owners of both and more experienced shooters input. And feel I got it.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
I did a bit. But without the ability to take rifles for a test drive before you buy one, I was looking for owners of both and more experienced shooters input. And feel I got it.

If you can handle the recoil of the 338 win mag, you will love it. I generally shoot mine a couple of times a year and use my 308's, 30-06's and 300 wsm for practice. They are much funner to shoot than the 338 win. I went out and shot 40 rounds of the heavies through mine a few weeks ago to make sure it (and I blush) was ready for elk season. It's a great choice when you have elk in mind.
That's what I'm looking for. Take it out a few times a year and get a box down range and be ready for a hunt anytime. What's your set- up if you don't mind sharing?
Posted By: 6mm Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
Nothing wrong with a 30-06 or 280 Remington for what you envision. I am in agreement with others here as well that the 300 WSM would be a great choice for calibers.

Hard to go wrong with the new Winchester Model 70 classic sporter or the laminate stocked model, or the new Ruger Hawkeye, also considering the laminate stocked model.

I'm a hard-core Ruger #1 fan though and they are a terrific rifle. I'm partial to the #1B, but unfortunately this model Ruger is not in their catalog this year. Good luck with lots of good choices out there.
David
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
That's what I'm looking for. Take it out a few times a year and get a box down range and be ready for a hunt anytime.

that's just great...
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sounds like you had your mind made up before you even asked the question.....

That's what most of these threads ar about.... smile

The OP's are not so much seeking advise, as much as confirmation.

I've noticed that the guys who do well with 338's (and 300 magnums)and similar cartridges are hard core riflemen, with high round count with a good many other cartridges.They are experienced shooters and hunters,and inured to recoil and its' effects.They don't have to ask what a 338 will do for them because they already know through previous experience with other stuff.They have the basics down pat through years of experience....these guys annualy have round counts numbering in the thousands.

Folks with lesser experience don't do so well with them.They buy based on notions of horsepower and other mystical killing qualities,don't put in the time to practice correctly, or in sufficient amounts to be really good with the rifles.

IMHO they are better served with a 30/06 that they can shoot, manage and control.In short,if they have to ask whether they need a 338 or a 300 magnum,they probably should not buy either one.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
Either way, he's going to get one green box of ammo a year to get on paper, and then come out here to blast away at elk from five hundred yards away.

I really want to know where he's going to hunt, so I can be as far away as [bleep] possible.
Posted By: prm Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
If planning on an elk hunt, go hike around the Rockies at 10k+ and then consider what you want in a hunting rifle. I'm guessing light weight will become a bigger factor than it is now. With that, recoil becomes a factor.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
Gotta agree with Rancho and Bob. If you have to ask you aren't ready for a 338. Just cause you shoot a shotgun with 3" magnums doesn't mean you should be shooting a 338 and you are really fooling yourself if you think it's gonna work to run a box or two a year thru and be "ready". Get something you can handle and will practice with. I have most all of 'em including a handful of 30-06's, 300 winnys, 340 wby etc. If you can shoot 'em that's great, but if you're lookin' for a one gun battery just do the 30-06 or a 7 mag and get over the bigger is better syndrome. You will practice more and will be a better hunter as a result.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11

You�re asking for advice so here it comes.

1. �Most� people are correct when they say a .30-06 is all you�ll ever need. It is an excellent cartridge that is extremely flexible, offers a very wide range of factory ammo (including relatively inexpensive ammo for fun), can take anything North America has to offer, is quite capable at 500 and 600 yards, and it has moderate recoil.

2. The .300 WM is a great cartridge, too. It adds 100 yards or so to what the .30-06 can do but ammo tends to be more expensive, recoil levels tend to be significantly higher, it isn�t as flexible as the .30-06 unless you are a handloader and, depending on the loads, it isn�t as much fun to shoot for extended periods.

3. The .338 Win Mag and its ilk are also great cartridges. Recoil is even higher than the .300 Win Mag and the other comments regarding the .300 Win Mag vs the .30-06 also apply, with interest.

At this point I'm not looking for a white tail gun because we cannot use rifles to hunt here. I'm buying with the plan on an elk hunt in a few years. I'm looking at the 338 for the energy it carrys out to 500 yards. And by ballistic charts has only about 6 inches more drop at that distance but flying slower may be more effected by wind?

While there is nothing wrong with buying a gun for a possible hunt coming up �in a few years�, I�d suggest practicing out to 500 yards during the wait would be a good thing, and you will practice a lot more with a lower recoil .270 Win, .280 Rem, .308 Win or .30-06, etc., than you will with a .338 Win Mag. As time for the big event draws near, get a .338 Win Mag, if that is still what you want at that time, and get up to speed on it. A benefit to this approach, in addition to the less expensive practice, is that you will have a very capable backup rifle for the hunt � something I highly recommend.

My own experience started with a 7mm RM, which has about the same recoil as many .30-06 factory loads and less then some. After 20 years I started scratching various itches and got a .300 Win Mag. It worked for elk, but no better than my 7mm RM. Then I got three .30-06s, took three elk with them, and have no complaints about their performance. This year I scratched the .338 Win Mag itch and took an elk with it. That elk was on the ground no faster than with the 7mm RM, the .300 WM or the .30-06s.

Get a .338 Win Mag if you want, but I think you are well advised by the �Most� who recommend a .30-06, especially if your idea of �fun� is to shoot more, not less. You can always get a second rifle in .Uber Magnum later, but the fact is that placement will still trump size and chances are you will find your elk well within 500 yards. (My longest to date, reaching back to the start in 1982, is only 350 yards.)

Posted By: Fifth Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Then I got three .30-06s, took three elk with them, and have no complaints about their performance. This year I scratched the .338 Win Mag itch and took an elk with it. That elk was on the ground no faster than with the 7mm RM, the .300 WM or the .30-06s.

What hunt units do you draw in? grin If it isn't too expensive for out-of-state I'd love to hunt CO. I'm next door in Utah. While our herd counts are good public land hunts are very low success rate (by design). DWR contributes to that by moving and breaking up the herds whenever possible. I tend to do better than average but harvesting every year has not been the case. I would love to self guide in Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho and Colorado; I just haven't done it yet.
Outch! Ask and you shall receive. I'm sorry if I've given anyone the impression that I don't want to put in the time or money to practice. And I have no intent on "coming out" and chucking lead at 500 yards. I am a very strong believer in practice and one shot one kill. Also I understand that 500 yard kill shots are not common or necessary. It's just nice to know its there if its the only option. I don't want anyone to think a city boy is going to buy another rifle and come shoot up your open country. I possibly have fired as many rounds as some of you. Just not from hp rifles. I'm sorry I grew up shooting shotguns and pistols. But gun safety none the less. And I do thank everyone for there honest input.
Posted By: ts300wsm Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
I bought a Remington XCR II in 338 win mag and I'm very happy with it
Posted By: doubletap Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
Take it out a few times a year and get a box down range and be ready for a hunt anytime.

Those are your words and give the impression that you don't shoot much. The guys who I know who shoot really well at long range shoot more each week than you are proposing in a year.
I have a lot of respect for those who have the time, money, and a place to shoot several hundred rounds at several hundred yards often. My intent with that statement was to get the point across that I'm not looking for a gun to plink with. I understand the investment that needs to be made to be successful but I also realize stacking one on top of another is fine at the range where it's measured distances, flat land and a bench rest. Not the case when you've been lugging up and down some of the most difficult terrain in our country and now you see what you've been looking for. Your bullseye now is a clean kill at a given distance. Not that you have put 1000 rounds in the same hole all year. All though it will help those that can.
Posted By: Fifth Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
rbodenburg529: Other comments aside, the advise on acquiring and practicing with a 30-06/7RM is good. I think you would be far happier with that gun than a 338WM right out of the gate.

That said, I can understand your magnum fetish and empathize. In my younger years I had to have more power at all costs. Eventually, I drove myself to purchase the then new 30-378 Weatherby. The cost of ammo to feed it pushed me into reloading. Having reloading gear help open up possibilities for other cartridges I had. however, I quickly came to realize that the Weatherby was a total and complete waste and flat wrong in my hunting applications. It was loud (brake), heavy, long, cumbersome and brutal on recoil. Add that to the fact my shots were under 300 on game and I just couldn't stand it anymore. I sold that rifle after only 2 years of ownership.

While the 338 WM is not the 30-378 I think why people keep suggesting a "lower" power cartridge is because they may have similar experiences of their own and have come to appreciate the proper balance and application of right gun for the hunter and game at hand.

But, I understand what that magnum itch feels like and you just may never feel better until you scratch it. So, get the 338 WM if it is what you always wanted anyway. For me, the reloading knowledge has been very helpful throughout the years. So I don't feel all that bad for buying the howitzer err 30-378. But on just the merits of the gun/cartridge it was the worst hunting rifle I've ever owned.
Thank you for honest experience I look to invest in reloading if I purchas a 338. The co worker I've mentioned reloads and has reduced loads he target shoots with and hunts smaller game. And says its a fun gun to shoot on lighter bullets and powder charge. Also it's still a mag if and when he wants and needs it. Almost 2 guns in one. I can see where most are coming from with start smaller and work up if you want but I also don't want a safe full of rifles I "us to " shoot. Long term.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
Originally Posted by Fifth
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Then I got three .30-06s, took three elk with them, ...

What hunt units do you draw in? grin If it isn't too expensive for out-of-state I'd love to hunt CO. I'm next door in Utah. While our herd counts are good public land hunts are very low success rate (by design). DWR contributes to that by moving and breaking up the herds whenever possible. I tend to do better than average but harvesting every year has not been the case. I would love to self guide in Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho and Colorado; I just haven't done it yet.

Since I got started in 1982, all but 4 trips have been to Unit 4 and its associated units. This year was my third year to Unit 12 and its associated units (23/24).
Posted By: temmi Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
For Most things and ranges a 30-06 is all you ever will need.

If you need (or Want) something more, the 338WM.

That is what I did.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/15/11
How much centerfire rifle shooting have you done? I ask because if its going to be your first big game rifle, the 300 Winnie or 338 Winchester is not the cartridges for you, you induce a flinch and you will spend the next 20 years trying to fix it. I would suggest that you start with something reasonable, I would look at a 7mm-08 or a 308 or 270 or 30-06. I have a buddy in Alaska, he lives in the bush, and his only rifle is a 7mm-08 and he collects his moose and caribou with out much fan fair. I shoot a 338 and its a wonderful cartridge, if you can shoot one. Recoil is pretty stout. A 7mm Remington Magnum might be an option. I hunt with one myself.
Posted By: Fifth Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/16/11
I think we'll see pics of his 338WM soon enough. grin
Posted By: rbodenburg529 Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/16/11
I think your right. And rest assured an elk hunt is years away so plenty of time to shoot the thousands of rounds some claim is necessary to be successful
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/16/11
Like I said, please let us know where you're going..
Posted By: rbodenburg529 Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/17/11
Have any suggestions on successfull places?
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/17/11
Colorado and Wyoming.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/17/11
Another caliber you may want to consider is a 35 Whelen. It is a .358 caliber in a 06 case. I have a 300 WM and would like to add one to my humble collection. I'm told it works well for deer, elk and bear and more.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/17/11
Originally Posted by gmsemel
How much centerfire rifle shooting have you done? I ask because if its going to be your first big game rifle, the 300 Winnie or 338 Winchester is not the cartridges for you, you induce a flinch and you will spend the next 20 years trying to fix it. I would suggest that you start with something reasonable, I would look at a 7mm-08 or a 308 or 270 or 30-06. I have a buddy in Alaska, he lives in the bush, and his only rifle is a 7mm-08 and he collects his moose and caribou with out much fan fair. I shoot a 338 and its a wonderful cartridge, if you can shoot one. Recoil is pretty stout. A 7mm Remington Magnum might be an option. I hunt with one myself.

Excellent advice. I don't think the OP will listen though... whistle
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/17/11
I have shot a .338 since the early 90's. I have killed a few elk and a few deer with it.

I like the round a lot. Very similar trajectory to that of a .30-06 180 grain rom my FW which I also use. Kills well. Mine is very adequate.

I use 225 grain bullets for the most part loaded to 2750 fps
out of the 23" barrel.

Recoil is manageable and not as bad as a 2 3/4" 1 oz slug out of my Deerslayer. Certainly not as bad as often related.

In fairness a 200 grain bullet from a .30 caliber magnum comes very close to the .338. I actually find that it kicks worse though.

I hear when you say to start small and work your way up. I am willing to do that but also don't want to buy rifles to shoot fit a wile and then sell for something larger. So is it bad judgment to buy what I want. Set it up the way I want it. Practice and possibly hunt deer with reduced loads and get comfortable with one rifle. Then work my way up to hot loads if I wanted.
First of all, I have no .30 cal. anything and never have. My hunting rifles are my 2 .27 cals. and my .338 WM. The .338 is used on our moose hunts and in the past, on Afognak Island for elk - unsuccessfully, I might add.
In the area we hunt moose, we've had guys in camp as well as friends in other camps on the river put moose down with .30-06's with little problem. Also have had guys use .300 WM's.
You allude to the fact you reload & that's great. If it were me tho, and I was leaning on awestern elk hunt, I think I'd go with a .338 WM loaded with 225 gr. Northforks. From experience, I know that a 225 NF is devistating on a moose and have yet to trail a wounded one.
If you get the .338, I would use an inexpensive bullet i nthe weight I wish to hunt with - for me, it's a 225 Hornady. Then, work up an accurate load using a primo bullet to an acceptable velocity for your elk. Loaded down, the .338 shouldn't have that severe of a recoil. I'd also avoid a "large", variable power scope - 3-9x is too big IME. The scope on my .338 is a 1-5x Leupold. Never needed more but that's me.
Good luck with whatever you do & enjoy.
Bear in Fairbanks
Thanks bear. If you review the entire post I've been getting mixed reviews on purchasing a 338 and mostly because it will be the first hp rifle I own. Some feel I will never be successful with that large of a rifle unless I own and shoot countless amounts of rounds from smaller rifles first. And some feel their safety is in jeopardy. I understand it will not be a gun you just pick up and shoot very well right out of the gate. But loading your own rounds gives you a large range to work with. What's your rig if you don't mind sharing?
Posted By: orion03 Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/18/11
Looks like your heart is set on a 338, now all you have to do is decide which one you want. Bear made a lot of sence and I'm sure you'll be fine with it with plenty of practice. Best wishes.
Posted By: TopCat Re: 300 vs 338 win mag? - 11/18/11
I understand it will not be a gun you just pick up and shoot very well right out of the gate. But loading your own rounds gives you a large range to work with.

Absolutely... that statement should be a Campfire Mantra...

As a reloader, with a good bullet choice, any chambering can be made to work well...bullets matter a lot more than the headstamp.

Rifles... are more a matter of personal choice, and I would recommend to actually handle them and pick the rifle you like best based on the qualities of the rifle, not on the chambering.

I have personally come to appreciate lighter rifles...they needn't be too light, but a Kimber Montana is pretty much unbeatable in many respects, considering the money involved.

TC

© 24hourcampfire