Home
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and joined because of all the Rem 760/7600 owners and the ton of great info. Thanks to all.

So here is the deal. I just picked up a Rem 760 in 30/06 that was made between 1968 an 1975. Does anyone know what year? SN #70627XX

I'm also looking to give it a new start in life as my never leave home without it gun. Info needed on aftermarket coatings, disassembly/assembly instructions, tips and cool ideas for turning it into a all around handi rifle.

I chose 30/06 for the wide asortment of bullet weights, but I'm open to a barrel swap. Right now the gun is at the smith getting a new O ring for the slide and the barrel cut and crowned to 18". I'm looking for a trigger job, custom scope base to ride in front of a receiver peep, gun coatings, and any tips or tricks.

Thanks,
Les
When you get the rifle back, look at the barrel for letters and numbers that will give the month and year of manufacture. Look here http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/remington_date_code.htm to translate the info you find.
Thanks Like2shoot
Originally Posted by Les7603006

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum

Info needed on aftermarket coatings,

Welcome to the Campfire.

Cerakote is my favorite coating and Eddie is the GO-TO guy:
http://fosnaughcustoms.com/
I put a straight stock and cut the 22 inch barrel to 20 to make a superfast handling rifle.

[Linked Image]
I like the looks of the straight stock DMc. What and or where did that come from?
Thanks US Patriot. I just sent Eddie a email
I like the looks of the straight stock DMc. What and or where did that come from?

I found a guy on Ebay selling Special Field buttstocks. Simple screw on modification.
You can improve your trigger considerably by installing the Patriot sear spring . That peep sight behind the scope deal doesn't work very well as things get real dark under there . Getting the sight up enough to be usefull and clearing the scope can be problematic , as can seeing the front sight if your scope has a bell on the objective end . I'm no fan of see through mounts anyway . The 760 is one of the most natural pointing rifles that there is ! The scope can be mounted low , and will come to the eye with a perfect cheek weld as slick as can be . When you install see through mounts , you absolutely destroy the gun's natural pointability by raising the scope so high that you have nothing close to a good cheek weld . Leuplod has a setup that incorporates a peep sight into the rear scope base , with QR rings . If you can't locate one of these , and want one PM me , I know a smith/friend that builds them too . I have been customizing and refinishing the 760/7600 pumps for quite a few years , and they are my favorite to hunt with too . I like a 20" barrel and that's what most of mine are ! You will enjoy your 760 , they are as accurate as any factory bolt gun , and way faster on the second shot ! I prefer a Teflon-Moly finish for it's lubricity , and good looks ! Manuals are still available . There is a guy selling them on GunBroker .

760s are high up there on my list:

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

More 760 talk here:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5790408/1

Oneoldsap sorry for the lack of info on my part. I DO NOT use see thru anything. It would be one or the other, Leupold QD rings for the scope for stand hunting, for tracking bucks in the back country, only the peep would be on it. I'll shoot you a PM on the peep/ scope base combo.

US _Patriot that is one sharp rifle. What color did you get in the Cerakote? Who makes the stock and forearm? Do they fit you the same as the original wood? My stock was chopped off some time in the past. I'm not sure If its going to be to short or not. I like the look and feel of the Walnut but fit is more important when it comes to hitting a fast moving critter.
Click on the link below the picture. It will get you to the details on that rifle.

Les here is a link to get part numbers for the Bell & Carlson stock:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5747120/1
Thanks for the links and all the info. My dad had a 760 but he passed away 24 years ago and I don't know where it went. This build is going to be in his honor and I want it to be passed to my son that is named after him.
Les,

there is a 'smith by the name of Nathan Chesney of Hillbilly Custom rifles, that does some great work on 760's and 7600's. Check out his website if you want to modify yours.

I have only seen pictures of his work, but he comes highly recommended by several on the Campfire.
Thanks tzone, I think the only rifle they use in VT is a 760/7600 thanks to the Benoit's. I've actually met all of those guys except Pop Larry a couple times. True hunters in the purest form. It's because of them that I got into tracking in the back country of the Adirondack mountains in upstate NY
the best upgrade you can do for any rifle is to spend the time and money to figure out what bullet at what speed it shoots the best.
Funny thing is that in the pursuit of that goal there are some uninteded benifits as well.
You get to become a better shot.

But, dont let me get in the way of equipment worship. Im sure theres some magic spray or sights or barrel grease out there that is equal to time on the trigger.
Gary Sullivan does a great trigger job on 760's & 7600's. His price is reasonable too.

Precision Gunsmithing Inc.
[email protected]
276-859-0003
Thanks Ringworm for the heads up on the trigger time. Now I can spend all my cash on ammo and pound paper with a 40 year old rifle that's weather worn, has a 7 pound trigger and a rattling forearm plus a stock that may be to short.
I take pride in the way my firearms look and function and my ability to hit what I'm shooting at. Shooing little groups off a bench does nothing for your hunting accuracy. 99% of the shots taken with this gun will be between 20' and 75 yards at running game while tracking deer. I will feed it a strict diet of heavily constructed bullets like Swift AFrame. For trigger time they will be several hundred rounds of the cheapest rounds I can find shot at moving targets in the woods in my hunting cloths. Now if I can just find that magic lube, I know I left it around here somewhere.
Thanks for the trigger info Dave. I was born and raised in southern West Va. Where Abouts are you? I sure do miss those mountians.
My 1950's 740 passed down from my grandfather got 2 upgrades.
A period Kuharsky mount and balfor scope.
A very very deep cleaning.

Thanks tzone, I think the only rifle they use in VT is a 760/7600 thanks to the Benoit's. I've actually met all of those guys except Pop Larry a couple times. True hunters in the purest form. It's because of them that I got into tracking in the back country of the Adirondack mountains in upstate NY

I have a copy of "How to bag the biggest buck of your life". Between that and an articl it Field and Stream in 97-98, something like that, it started my love for the 760/7600. I've had more than a few and probably always will have one. Right now it's a .35 Rem in 760.
Reading that book and meeting those boys renewed my interest in the 760. They have another book titeled "Benoits" that is a must read along with several videos.

Anyone else out there have any tips or tricks?
© 24hourcampfire