Home
Posted By: rbodenburg529 What happened in 1964? - 12/20/11
I've been reading a lot of threads and posts and there is a lot of reference to pre 64 guns. What changed after then to make the pre more desirable?
Posted By: UncleSoapy Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/20/11
The main thing is that they switched from the non-rotating claw extractor controlled round feed to a push feed design. They made some other cosmetic changes which were poorly executed, like free floating the barrel and leaving an excessive gap around the inletting. Overall they made it cheaper and what they did to make it cheaper was not well received by a basically conservative (in taste) clientele.
I was under the impression it was the action. Was this only Winchester? Have they made the crf action since? Do other manufacturers make a crf or is everything push feed? How do you tell them apart?
Posted By: Winnie Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/20/11
In 1964 three North Vietnamese torpedo boats attacked the US Destroyer Maddox in the Gulf of Tonkin, as a result US Congress Authorizes war against N Vietnam.

The Boston Stranger was captured.

The Warren Commission stated Oswald acted alone.

The first Mustang was built.

MLK, jr receives the Noble Peace Prize.

So, a lot of stuff happened.
Posted By: johnw Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
In 1964 three North Vietnamese torpedo boats attacked the US Destroyer Maddox in the Gulf of Tonkin, as a result US Congress Authorizes war against N Vietnam.

kamo gari is still on the loose!!!
Posted By: Winnie Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
Originally Posted by johnw

kamo gari is still on the loose!!!

He is on parole right now. grin
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
Winnie1300: Also of national importance - 1964 was the year "I" lost my virginal virginity!
The world (well my world!) has never been the same.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Winnie Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Winnie1300: Also of national importance - 1964 was the year "I" lost my virginal virginity!
The world (well my world!) has never been the same.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I heard, I feel sorry for that deer. Or since you are Montanan, was it a sheep?

grin laugh
Posted By: Cheesy Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
Originally Posted by rbodenburg529
I was under the impression it was the action. Was this only Winchester? Have they made the crf action since? Do other manufacturers make a crf or is everything push feed? How do you tell them apart?

Pre-64 refers only to Winchester. A lot of what you read is this is when the bean counters got involved and ruined the rifleman's rifle. The pre64 had the famous Mauser style claw extractor. The push feed the extractor is on the bolt face. On the pre64 the claw rides on the outside of the bolt, you can see it in pictures, full length of bolt, like a half inch wide or so.

Early push feeds were said to be pretty poor quality, later ones said to be just as good as Remington 700's (cue the popcorn). In the early 90's (???) Winchester came back out with the mauser type extractor, calling it the Classic.
My freedom was lost.

I got married.

Ask me why 1971 was a good year. smile
Posted By: 7 STW Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
Pre 64 Mauser Type extractor

65 Pushfeed which I perfer
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
My dad knocked my mom up in 1964. Good thing for me...
Posted By: gmsemel Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
Well Winchester was loosing money on every M-70 they made, and the tooling used to make the gun was getting long in the tooth. The M-70's after 1958 or 59 were not as finely finished as the guns made from about 1946 to 56 or so. Remington introduced the 700 and the 7mm Remington Mag in 1962 and it was a huge seller and Remington made a profit on every rifle they made. Winchester didn't, they even worked over the 94 some at the same time in order to get back to being profitable. All the mistakes made with the M-70 were corrected by 1968 and I have to admit I owned a M-70 xtr in 270 for some time, it shot great and it was a nice rifle for the money at the time. Winchester had problems a lot of problems, for a long time they were made under license by U. S . Repeating Arms. Then FN, they have left New Haven, CT run out by local and state politicians , to South Carolina. In a way the Model 70 died in 1963, rifles were called Model 70's after were something else, at least to the die hard riflemen of the day, Jack O'Connor for example.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
I've never understood the big fuss about the pre-64 Win 70's; ill fitted wood stocks & heavy as a boat anchor was enough to turn me off from them. I had one given to me once and kept it long enough to sell it.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11

I was born in '64 and schitt just went downhill from there....figuratively and literally! laugh

Posted By: model70man Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
The demise of the excellent Model 70, the Model 94 and the Model 12. The Model 61 and Model 62A .22 rifles had already bitten the dust. The post 64 Model 70 I bought in 1966 was a piece of junk. The Model 94s had some kind of zinc / junk metal receiver and roll pins instead of real pins in the linkage. It was a sad day for me but I'm not much of a plastic and stainless guy either and that is what is popular now. Just my opinion though and I understand differing opinions of other Campfire members.
Posted By: Jericho Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
Didnt several gun companies go through severe changes in the
early 1960s?
Posted By: Mink Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
Not just gun companies, the whole monetary system underwent change in 64. From 90% silver coinage to clad.
Posted By: tzone Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
Ford made the bad-est ass car ever!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Odessa Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
Originally Posted by tzone

The Fairlane? grin
Posted By: Whelenman Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
[quote=tzone]Dodge made the bad-est ass car ever!

There! I fixed that for you!
Originally Posted by Odessa

The Fairlane? grin

Yes actually. Go look at that picture.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
[quote=tzone]Dodge made the bad-est ass car ever!

There! I fixed that for you!

Only so the Thunderbolt would have something to pick on.
Posted By: Crusader Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/21/11
My wonderful wife was born. grin
Posted By: supercrewd Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/23/11

[Linked Image]

I would have to go with this one myself...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: highridge1 Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/23/11
In 1965 winchester made their model 70 more accurate.
Posted By: Bill Poole Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/23/11
Didn't American's cultural greatness and freedom rise for 200 years to a peak right about at the "civil rights act of 1964" and then with the "gun control act of 1968" start a huge decline that continues to this day?
Posted By: sabot Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/23/11
dodge polara sport,383
Posted By: MadMooner Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/23/11
I'm not even a Ford fan, but that Thunder bolt?

One bad mutha.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/24/11
I had a couple of post 64 model 70s. They both shot well but the earlier version had a flaw. The thin bolt guide could get bent if the bolt was removed and replaced at a slight angle. I sold that one. I still have a newer one that became my 300 RUM.

Going to the other topic...That thunderbolt engine was awesome. My brother got his hands on the 63 Ford Galaxie coup 427 with dual quads from the factory. It was rated at 425 HP which was nonsense. It was over 500. I believe it was made for nascar racing. They had to make so many for the street to be able to compete. I had just gotten my licence and he taught me how to use a clutch. I can remember sitting at a stop sign waiting for traffic. My clutch leg began to tremble trying to keep the petal depressed. He says put it in neutral and rest your leg. I was in track and in pretty good shape but that racing clutch got the best of me. FYI it was impossible to stall it. You could have your foot slip off the clutch petal and just lay a patch and go. Ah the memories...
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/24/11
What happened in 64? Remington came out with the 350 Mag.. It changed the Hunting World. Though, They could of left out the belt.
Posted By: swervinbob Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/24/11
The Cards beat the Yankees in the world series. And then the Yanks fired Berra as manager and hired the Cardinal's manager.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: What happened in 1964? - 12/24/11
Originally Posted by highridge1

That certainly isn't true.
Not far wrong either.The post-64 was great rifle,from a corporate view,they sold 3x as many and at a good profit and it saved the company.The question that should be asked is why it took so long to bring it out after the 721.

Leave it up to the school boy to give us a history lesson grin. Hey I do remember passing by the mustang when going to Reno though.... whistle whistle
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by highridge1

That certainly isn't true.

He's fishing Bob.....OR blowing smoke... whistle
© 24hourcampfire