Home
Posted By: Jordan Smith Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
Went out shooting the Kimber Montana 7WSM again today. I wonder if I got one of them "bad ones"...

[Linked Image]

The wind was blowing me around pretty badly, so it was hard to keep the reticle on target. If you include both groups, the aggregate measures 1.1MOA for 11 shots at 200 yards, with each 5-6 shot group measuring 0.5MOA or less. What a POS. whistle
Posted By: killitgrillit Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
You got a bad one just like my three :-)
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
Junk wink
Posted By: jim62 Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
You poor bastids...

grin
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11

Hang in there, there is hope.

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Went out shooting the Kimber Montana 7WSM again today. I wonder if I got one of them "bad ones"...

[Linked Image]

The wind was blowing me around pretty badly, so it was hard to keep the reticle on target. If you include both groups, the aggregate measures 1.1MOA for 11 shots at 200 yards, with each 5-6 shot group measuring 0.5MOA or less. What a POS. whistle

It sucks, but don't worry I'll take it off your hands. whistle
Posted By: rembo Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
dang Kimbers,.....they outta recall all of 'em.:-)

Good shooting.
Posted By: RickF Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
My groups measure smaller too if I discount the flyers. wink

Jordan, how closely does the 162 hit in POI to the TSX's?
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by RickF
My groups measure smaller too if I discount the flyers. wink

Jordan, how closely does the 162 hit in POI to the TSX's?

A gust of wind picked up at precisely the moment I was tripping the trigger, which knocked me right off target. That's where that pulled shot came from wink

The 162gr A-Max and the 140gr TTSX hit within 0.5MOA of each other at 200 yards. Makes for easy load switching.
Posted By: RickF Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
You really should try F Class, what with Homestead so close. Nothing like having a 3 minute blustery wind when the V-bull is half-minute!

Nice on the two bullets hitting so close together.
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
Nice! I've bought, sold and traded a lot of rifles over the years. My Kimber Montana is stayin!
Posted By: archie_james_c Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
Hopefully my .223 Montana I ordered shoots as bad as your 7 and my .270 laugh
Posted By: bluegillman Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
now THOSE are bragging groups. not the ones that look like you shot the target at 40 yards with 000 buck out of an open cylinder 12 guage.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
I've got four of em that all shoot and function very well but I and my buddy had two that were terrible until we replaced the Talley Lightweights.
Posted By: FishingHunter Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
Nice groups! I had a .308 that was a awsome shooter,(friend talked me out of it) still have a .243 that shoots itty bitty groups! I should be getting my 84l .25-06 back from kimber, it was getting 2.5-3.75 groups! They said they would have it 3-5 weeks.
Posted By: archie_james_c Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by bluegillman
now THOSE are bragging groups. not the ones that look like you shot the target at 40 yards with 000 buck out of an open cylinder 12 guage.

I think you'd be lucky to hit an 8X10" sheet of paper with your above mentioned riggin's....
Posted By: CreekWarrior Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
Jordan, it looks like you're using 66.5 gns of 7828 behind that 162 A-max. Can I ask what velocity you're getting from that load? In my 7 WSM with the 162 Amax I've moved away from 7828 and have been using H1000 and Reloader 25. I'm just curious....

Thanks
Posted By: lastround Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
I may be feeling one in 7mm-08 calling me...
Originally Posted by lastround

A load of 66.5gr IMR7828ssc behind the 162gr A-Max yields 3081fps average in my rifle. My previous load was 67gr of the same powder, which gave 3105fps average, but I've found 66.5gr to give me much better accuracy (as you can see).
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Hopefully my .223 Montana I ordered shoots as bad as your 7 and my .270 laugh

Kinda thinkin' your .223 will be every bit as crappy as my 7 *grin*

Posted By: 257heaven Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
My condolences. My 257 Bob Montana won't shoot worth a schitt. Quarter-inch group with the 75 Gr. VMAX just won't cut it. Wonder if we should send them back for tweaking??

I heard that the barrels are the real problem with these rifles. Maybe if we send them back and complain and whine enough, they'll replace the barrels under warranty?

Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
Maybe I should get my barrels replaced too:

Montucky at 100 yards:

[Linked Image]

Classic at 200 yards:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
Jordan is this a new rig or the used one you bought from Calvin I think?

Dober
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
seems interesting. I keep debating on getting a Montucky versus a new Model 70, and putting it in a McMillan
It's the rifle I picked up from Calvin. Seems to do alright with some good handloads, hey? wink
Seems to be doing ok for offhand shooting...grin

In the 7WSM/Montana I had 7828 is one of the powders I used along with R25. I can't recall the load off the cuff or what it ran for speed.

What's yours running with the load listed?

Thx
Dober
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Kimber roulette - 12/29/11
I'd try again.......:-)
But.....not till you checked the bedding... wink

Dober
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Kimber roulette - 12/30/11
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

In the 7WSM/Montana I had 7828 is one of the powders I used along with R25. I can't recall the load off the cuff or what it ran for speed.

Thx
Dober

Mark and Jordan, I bought a pound of dat 7828 right before I got my bell rung- can't wait to try it in my POS Montana!
Mine sucks too btw. Fargin' Kimbers. 5 shots, 450 yards (?400 maybe? Damn, now I can't remember!) 162 Amax's at ~3100 FPS via RL17. Twice! smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Kimber roulette - 12/30/11

Thx
Dober

Hah! If you think that's good, just imagine what it'd do from a sitting position, or better yet, from a bench! grin

It's running 3081fps, average, with 66.5gr IMR7828ssc. Bump that up to 67gr and I'm getting 3105fps, average.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Thx
Dober

Mark and Jordan, I bought a pound of dat 7828 right before I got my bell rung- can't wait to try it in my POS Montana!

When you gonna give that 7828 a go with the 162AM? And what happened to your bell?
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Kimber roulette - 12/30/11
Originally Posted by lastround

I've got one, but you can'tget away from me!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Kimber roulette - 12/30/11
Here's the last group shot with my only Kimber, a wood stocked .308. My dad shot this group. The group I'd shot immediately before was about .700".

[Linked Image]

Thx
Dober

When you gonna give that 7828 a go with the 162AM? And what happened to your bell?

Hey Jordan! Guy creamed me head-on a month ago (100% his fault); both vehicles totaled, he was killed, I got a serious concussion and some bumps and bruises. Thank God for Land Cruisers and airbags!! eek

So it may be a while before I concuss my brain with WSM recoil! grin If nothing else I think I'd risk hardwiring a flinch into the system... gonna start with my .223 and work my way up as I can.
Holy crap! I'm glad to hear you're okay (relatively). I'm sorry to hear that the other guy didn't make out quite as well. RIP. I was in a head-on collision about 5 years ago, and my back is still pretty messed up. The docs say that my back will never be the same as it was before the accident. Let's hope that you don't have any long-lasting soft tissue damage.

Your plan sounds like a good one. I just traded into a .223 with 1-9" twist, so I'm gonna have to start tinkering with powders and the 75gr A-Max, and possibly the 50gr TTSX. Unfortunately we can't hunt big-game with anything less than .23 caliber, so it'll be strictly a coyote/PD/target rifle. Should be good for some cheap, LR practice wink
Posted By: DayPacker Re: Kimber roulette - 12/30/11
If the Kimbers are that bad and you don't want them, send me the worst one. I will pay for shipping.
Holy crap! I'm glad to hear you're okay (relatively). I'm sorry to hear that the other guy didn't make out quite as well. RIP. I was in a head-on collision about 5 years ago, and my back is still pretty messed up. The docs say that my back will never be the same as it was before the accident. Let's hope that you don't have any long-lasting soft tissue damage.

Your plan sounds like a good one. I just traded into a .223 with 1-9" twist, so I'm gonna have to start tinkering with powders and the 75gr A-Max, and possibly the 50gr TTSX. Unfortunately we can't hunt big-game with anything less than .23 caliber, so it'll be strictly a coyote/PD/target rifle. Should be good for some cheap, LR practice wink

Thanks man. Sorry about your back- that SUCKS. Yeah, it's a real bummer for the other guy. He lived right down the street from me in this small rural town. Everyone knows both of us. It's really weird, to be honest.

Sounds like a good .223 plan! My 1:9 .223 (a 26" Remington) wouldn't run the 75 Amax but they say some will. My current .223 is an SPSS I got for the stainless action, and for me and my kid to abuse until I rebarrel it <g>. Of course, since I didn't buy it for this barrel, it shoots absolutely light-out. It's fun to about 450 yards with the lighter bullets.

It'll be sufficient to keep my skills, such as they are, in shape until I feel I can handle some recoil. I don't know when that'll be. It gives me the willies to even think about shooting one of my "big" guns right now... could be a while.

Posted By: donsm70 Re: Kimber roulette - 12/30/11
I got a Montana soooo bad in 300 WSM that I figured I'd try again in .257 Roberts.

Both pretty much suck..., but I think I will keep them anyway. grin
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber roulette - 12/30/11
Guy creamed me head-on a month ago (100% his fault); both vehicles totaled, he was killed, I got a serious concussion and some bumps and bruises. Thank God for Land Cruisers and airbags!! eek

Wow Jeff, I had no idea... I'm thankful you're ok.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Kimber roulette - 12/31/11
Well Jordan ill make you a deal... You can send me a couple hundred bucks and the rifle and ill just take it off your hands wink
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Kimber roulette - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by Brad
Guy creamed me head-on a month ago (100% his fault); both vehicles totaled, he was killed, I got a serious concussion and some bumps and bruises. Thank God for Land Cruisers and airbags!! eek

Wow Jeff, I had no idea... I'm thankful you're ok.

Thanks Brad. I'm told it was quite the crash; I can't remember a thing until a few hours later in the ER.

I can do ok with typing stuff out, cause I can do it at my own pace. Things that happen at an enforced pace- conversation, driving, etc- are still not working right. But it's trending better.

Let's not get distracted from trashing those crummy Kimbers! grin
Posted By: boatammo Re: Kimber roulette - 12/31/11
Jeff wishing You a full recovery. My kimbers have all shot very well. That said I just got a 84L Montana in 25-06. but haven't shot it yet. will measure and start to reload this weekend as NYE is for amatuers. Hope it shoots 100NBT's or 100NPT's but Have lots of .257 bullets as I have 2 257R's.
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber roulette - 12/31/11
Well, speedy recovery to you Jeff...

on with the Kimber bashing. grin
Posted By: Powerguy Re: Kimber roulette - 12/31/11
Glad you are doing better Jeff
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Kimber roulette - 12/31/11
Holy shidt,Jeff. Glad you are OK. eek

Hope I don't have to tell you to see a lawyer on this.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kimber roulette - 12/31/11
You're still and idiot Jeff..... but I'd not wish that on anyone. Good luck with the recovery.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Kimber roulette - 12/31/11
Jeff, hope you get better soon. My best friend was in a head on collision 8 yrs ago and had to have 7 units of blood in the less than 15 minute chopper flight to the hospital. Kid fell asleep and crossed the center line on him...

Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Posted By: raybass Re: Kimber roulette - 01/01/12
Jeff man I hope you get better! I was wondering why you haven't been posting much for a while. I thought you were out hunting. Good luck buddy.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Kimber roulette - 01/14/12
Another range session re-affirms how much I hate those bloody Kimbers! That's the problem with roulette, sometimes you just get screwed...

[Linked Image]

First 4 shots are clustered together. All 7 shots were fired successively as one group, without any cool-down time. Don't mind the lone .224" hole; my father accidentally fired the .223 at the 7WSM target...
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Kimber roulette - 01/14/12
Crap, pure crap....

Who was it crazy enough to sell off that rifle again?! whistle
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kimber roulette - 01/14/12
All my guns shoot like that.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Kimber roulette - 01/14/12
Originally Posted by Calvin

What else ya selling?
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kimber roulette - 01/14/12
I'm considering selling my Edge stocked 30-06ti. It'll do .5 moa with the 155 scenar, laying in the mud, shooting off a pack. Not sure yet though.. If I do, someone will get a hell of a rifle.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Kimber roulette - 01/15/12

+1. The man speaks the truth...
Posted By: SKane Re: Kimber roulette - 01/15/12
Jordan,

Better luck with the next one. whistle
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kimber roulette - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

+1. The man speaks the truth...

I've had a few groups at 450yds that look like Jordans with the 75amax with the rifle I sold you. Not bad for a lwt 223ai.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Kimber roulette - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by SKane
Jordan,

Better luck with the next one. whistle

Thanks. I appreciate the condolences...

To be fair, maybe I should use a proper bench setup and see what this rifle can really do. I do suppose I'm hamstringing the poor thing by shooting all these groups from the hood of my truck, using a folded towel for a front rest...
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Kimber roulette - 01/15/12

I've had a few groups at 450yds that look like Jordans with the 75amax with the rifle I sold you. Not bad for a lwt 223ai.

3 shot group at 200 yds with the AMax was 7/8"... I'm just banging away with the 50's for fire forming still....

Boys love that rifle!
© 24hourcampfire