Home
Posted By: kaywoodie KRAGS! - 01/04/12
Aside from cool Mauser sporters, who else here likes Krags as much as I do???????

I'm currently at three sporters. I've had others. But two are the old "NRA" cut down rifles, but they have mint bores and I've fitted a nice old Redfield receiver sight on the one. The inspector cartouches are immaculate. Shame they were cut.

The third is a sporter from I'd say the twenties. Schnable fore end with pistol grip. They are all in .30 U.S. Army. A ctg to which I am very partial.

They fit very well in my canvas wall tent camp will all the wood, wool , and canvas surroundings.

Bob N.
Posted By: advntrjnky Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
I have always wanted a sporterized one to play with.....always keep an eye out for a cheap one. However, I haven't found one yet. For some reason the places I look think crappy hacked up krags are worth more than crappy hacked up way over priced mausers.

advntrjnky
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
Bob doesn't it bother you-even a little bit- to post a topic like that and then not provide a pic or two of those fine old Krags?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
LOL! I gotta update some of my pics! Yes it does bother me! Lemme see what I can find in my files!! I'm still on dial up and it takes forever to load a pic to photobucket!

Lemme look!

Bob
Posted By: Homesteader Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
Leadminer - "Bob doesn't it bother you-even a little bit- to post a topic like that and then not provide a pic or two of those fine old Krags? " IMO - that's not so bad... BUT he's had several Krags to play with while I'm still looking for
one. I know...seek and ye shall find. Homesteader.

Posted By: taylorce1 Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
How about this one I found in a pawn shop a few years back!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After I found it I had to have it follow me home.
Posted By: raybass Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
I've yet to see one up close, but I have always been interested in them. Cool rifle taylorce1.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
Okay,,,,,,,, only 25 minutes to load these two! Whew!

[Linked Image]
I took the little scope off this one, and put on the Redfield receiver sight off of this one!

[Linked Image]

I'll try another pic later. Somewhere here I have pics of the real cav carbine that I had that someone re-blued and stuck a Pachmayr "white outline" field pad on! Argh!!!!!!

Bob N
Posted By: 257heaven Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Aside from cool Mauser sporters, who else here likes Krags as much as I do???????

I'm currently at three sporters. I've had others. But two are the old "NRA" cut down rifles, but they have mint bores and I've fitted a nice old Redfield receiver sight on the one. The inspector cartouches are immaculate. Shame they were cut.

The third is a sporter from I'd say the twenties. Schnable fore end with pistol grip. They are all in .30 U.S. Army. A ctg to which I am very partial.

They fit very well in my canvas wall tent camp will all the wood, wool , and canvas surroundings.

Bob N.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bangeye Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
I've had a couple over the years. They are very neat old rifles.
Posted By: Freedumb1 Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
Kaywoodie,

I really like the second one.

That Schnabel forearm does it for me.

Nice and short.
Posted By: mart Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
I have had this one for many years. It has taken a couple of mule deer does and been on a few day hunts for moose. I don't know who stocked it but they did a pretty fair job and the checkering is very good. It is birds eye the full length of the stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
Like the proverbial kid that always liked Fords because that's what his dad drove.... I, too; Luv the Krags. I have owned three of them in various cut down condition.

The last was gifted to me by my brother... It has a Redfield recv'r sight.

In addition to that I have a Ruger #3 in .30-40.

AFAIC, the .30-40 Krag, the .303 Brit, and the .308 Win are three peas-in-a-pod, ballistically... And that puts it in a very usable range for both power and moderate recoil... JMHO

GH
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: KRAGS! - 01/04/12
yep, interesting, well made rifles. This one took a doe and a turkey in 2010. It's been in my family for many years...

[Linked Image]

I will probably give it to a younger family member at some point - and then go look for a nice sporter, ike the ones above smile

Posted By: kaywoodie Re: KRAGS! - 01/05/12
WOW! Ya'll have some really nice old pieces! I think receiver sights rock!

Wished I could find someone who would make some of them nice old 220 grn RN "Full Patch" bullets to load up! Dunno what I'd do with the things, but they are just too classic.....

Hopefully, this weekend I can get outside and get some newer pics of the trio I have now. May throw in wifey's ol 95 Winchester in the pic too, as it is a "30 Army".

Bob N.
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: KRAGS! - 01/05/12
That's better! Just getting back on the Fire tonight and really like what I'm seeing. Bob, I too,especially like that second one in your pics. Thanks, Bruce
Posted By: model70man Re: KRAGS! - 01/05/12
I have one and it's just as slick as my two M-S carbines. Superb workmanship.
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: KRAGS! - 01/05/12
I don't have any butchered up Krag sporters or nice ones either cause when I find them it is allways 1 of 3 things wrong.
1. The barrel is a goner
2. I am broke at that moment in time
3. There is some guy 5 feet in frt of me holding it with 1 hand and the money to pay for it in the other.
But I have picked up some 03's that somebody started on and wrecked their collector value , sure I love 03's too. Nice pictures all. Magnum man
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: KRAGS! - 01/05/12

I like this one!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: KRAGS! - 01/05/12
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
I don't have any butchered up Krag sporters or nice ones either cause when I find them it is allways 1 of 3 things wrong.
1. The barrel is a goner
2. I am broke at that moment in time
3. There is some guy 5 feet in frt of me holding it with 1 hand and the money to pay for it in the other.
But I have picked up some 03's that somebody started on and wrecked their collector value , sure I love 03's too. Nice pictures all. Magnum man

I have been lucky as I kinda get to cherry pick stuff as it comes into the shop. It's comes straight upstairs for us to give a good once over before hitting the sale racks. About 95% of all the Krags that come thru have bores that weren't cleaned since the charge up Kettle Hill!

If the bore is decent, I'll usually spring for it. I've passed on BUNCHES! Especially unaltered military rifles as that always bring a premium. Regardless of bore condition. But I can usually puck up the old classic lookin' sporters for a song.

Now, cool '03 sporters of the same vintage, properly done, are awesome things in their own right. They remind me of Papa Hemingway!!!

BTW,along the same lines..... Had the absolute cleanest model 30 Remington I'd ever seen, come thru several weeks before Christmas. Went for $1200! Was a 30-06. Very nice piece, but as you alluded to in your earlier comment..... Not enuff cash at the time!

Bob N.
Posted By: Jericho Re: KRAGS! - 01/05/12
I saw a Krag that had been rebarreled to .25-35 Win several
years ago, not a bad looking custom rifle. Went back to the
shop a few hours later and it was gone.
Posted By: mudhen Re: KRAGS! - 01/05/12
The father of a friend with whom I grew up had one. It was the first "high-powered" rifle that I shot. We snuck it out one day and fired a couple of rounds apiece. That was enough for me. I was about 11 and weighed maybe 100 lbs. I had shot 20 gauge shotguns, but the steel butt plate on that Krag made me wonder if I would ever be tough enough to hunt deer...
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: KRAGS! - 01/05/12
By the way, Krags love 180 grain Ballistic tips. Deer? they no like em too much smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Freedumb1 Re: KRAGS! - 01/06/12
Originally Posted by mart
I have had this one for many years. It has taken a couple of mule deer does and been on a few day hunts for moose. I don't know who stocked it but they did a pretty fair job and the checkering is very good. It is birds eye the full length of the stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice.

I can see myself having a rifle custom stocked in Maple someday.

Reminds me of a Savage 99 I saw for sale on GunBroker a couple of years ago that went for maybe $600. I could have kicked myself for not watching that one a little closer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Curdog Re: KRAGS! - 01/06/12
A 99 in maple? Looks purty durn good... I have always wanted a Krag or a Ruger #3 in that chambering.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: KRAGS! - 01/09/12
As promised, an updated pic of my bevy of Krags. That middle one, with the receiver sight, I mean to use on my next elk. It feels like a part of me!

The bottom one I just picked up last week. It's a daisy!

[Linked Image]

Bob N.
Posted By: safariman Re: KRAGS! - 01/09/12
Bob, if you ever decide to see the sporter on the top there, I would love to know about it. Rare to see a Krag sporterized WELL. Most of the ones I see are chop jobs by bubba the gunbutcher.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: KRAGS! - 01/09/12
Originally Posted by safariman
Bob, if you ever decide to see the sporter on the top there, I would love to know about it. Rare to see a Krag sporterized WELL. Most of the ones I see are chop jobs by bubba the gunbutcher.

Ok, I'll remember! But that one will probably go to my youngest son!

Bob
Posted By: Brad Re: KRAGS! - 01/09/12
As promised, an updated pic of my bevy of Krags. That middle one, with the receiver sight, I mean to use on my next elk. It feels like a part of me!

The bottom one I just picked up last week. It's a daisy!

[Linked Image]

Bob N.

Wow, those are great.

What's that old saying... "Let's Go Kraging!"
Posted By: Jericho Re: KRAGS! - 01/10/12
Nice rifles, most Krags I find anymore are terrible custom
jobs.
© 24hourcampfire