Home
Posted By: 1tnhunter all around cartridges - 01/05/12
What your opinion on this? Do you agree,disagree,would you choose different cartridge(s)if so please explain why.All-Around Rifle Cartridges

By Chuck Hawks

7mm Rem. Mag. Illustration courtesy of Hornady Mfg. Co.
What is meant by an "all-around" rifle cartridge, and what are the criteria for choosing one? These are the questions that must first be addressed. No doubt different authors will have different answers, but here is the way I look at these questions.

By "all-around" rifle cartridge, I mean a hunting cartridge that can reasonably be used in a single rifle, with appropriate loads, for a wide variety of CXP2 and CXP3 class game. Game from the size of a small animal like a chamois, or javelina up to large (at least 500 pound average live weight) thin-skinned game such as elk, alg, waterbuck, wildebeest, or kudu. Clearly, a cartridge perfect for the smallest species will not be perfect for the largest, so the final choice will almost certainly be overkill for javelina and too light to be ideal for elk, but a hunter capable of good bullet placement should not be entirely out of place hunting either with a true all-around rifle.

Further, the all-around cartridge should have a flat enough trajectory to allow hunting in a variety of conditions, from deep woods to open plains or high mountains. This means it has to be at least a 250 yard big game cartridge (MPBR +/- 3") and handle spitzer bullets.

A bullet diameter between a minimum of .264" (6.5mm) and a maximum of .323" (8mm) is required. A bullet sectional density (SD) of .220 is sufficient for harvesting deer size game and a SD of about .245 or greater should give adequate penetration even on large thin-skinned game with appropriately constructed bullets.

The master list of possible all-around cartridges

Looking at today's factory loading list, what cartridges qualify for hunting such a wide variety of game under such varying conditions? Without getting into obscure or obsolescent cartridges, I would say the following might be considered: 6.5x55 SE, .260 Remington, 6.5mm Remington Magnum, 6.5x68, .264 Winchester Magnum, .270 Winchester, .270 WSM, .270 Weatherby Magnum, 7mm-08 Remington, 7x57 Mauser, 7x64 Brenneke, 7x65R, .280 Remington, 7mm WSM, 7mm Rem. SAUM, 7mm Remington Magnum, 7mm Weatherby Magnum, 7mm STW, .300 Savage, .308 Marlin, .308 Winchester, 7.62x54R, .30-06 Springfield, .300 WSM, .300 Rem. SAUM, .300 Winchester Magnum, .300 Weatherby Magnum, .303 British, 8x57JS, and 8x68S.

All of these are loaded by at least one of the major U.S. or European ammunition companies. These are all cartridges that are at least moderately well known, which qualify ballistically, and for which rifles are reasonably available. This list will be refined as we go along.

Criteria for choosing an all-around cartridge

The top all-around cartridges must not kick more, in a normal weight rifle, than most shooters can stand. About 20 ft. lbs. of free recoil is the upper limit, based on reports I have read about studies on recoil tolerance, and less recoil is desirable. The cartridges on our list that fall within that limit include: 6.5x55, .260 Rem., 6.5mm Rem. Mag., 6.5x68, .264 Win. Mag., .270 Win., .270 WSM, 7mm-08, 7x57, 7x64, 7x65R, .280 Rem., 7mm Rem. SAUM, 7mm Rem. Mag., .300 Savage, .308 Marlin, .308 Win., 7.62x54R, .30-06, .303 British, and 8x57JS. The .308 Marlin and .300 Savage would be good choices for anyone sensitive to recoil, and the 7mm-08, 7x57, 6.5x55 and .260 Rem. are the standouts here. Choose one of these cartridges if you are fed-up with hard kicking rifles.

A selection of bullet weights should be available in factory loads. Equally important, an adequate range of reloading components must be available to allow the shooter to tailor loads for his or her particular rifle and requirements. Cartridges which fulfill both of these requirements include: 6.5x55, .260 Rem., 6.5x68, .270 Win, .270 WSM, .270 Wby. Mag., 7mm-08, 7x57, 7x64, .280 Rem., 7mm Rem. SAUM, 7mm WSM, 7mm Rem. Mag., 7mm Wby. Mag., 7mm STW, .300 Savage, .308 Win., .30-06, .300 Rem. SAUM, .300 Win. Mag., .300 Wby. Mag., .303 British, 8x57JS and 8x68S.

The best all-around cartridges must be available in a variety of rifles, and even better if they are available in a variety of types of rifles: bolt action, lever action, single shot, double, autoloading, or pump. The more choice, the better. Cartridges chambered in a reasonable variety of rifles include: 6.5x55, .270 Win, .270 WSM, 7mm-08, 7x57, 7mm WSM, 7mm Rem. Mag., .308 Win., .30-06, .300 WSM, and .300 Win. Mag.

Ammunition should be available in major hunting centers worldwide, wherever big game is hunted, from Anchorage to Cape Town, in North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. The cartridges on our master list which are most likely to be available in many parts of the world include: 6.5x55, .270 Win., 7x57, 7x64, 7mm Rem. Mag., .308 Win., .30-06, .300 Win. Mag., .300 Wby. Mag., .303 British, and 8x57JS.

For the North American hunter, factory cartridges must be stocked just about anywhere centerfire rifle ammunition is sold, whether the general store in a small western town, or the sporting goods department of a big city discount department store. Cartridges on our master list that are among the top ten in sales in North America include: .270 Win., 7mm Rem. Mag., .308 Win., .30-06, .303 British, and .300 Win. Mag.

The short list

So which cartridges are on all of the lists above? These are the finalists that make the short list of all-around rifle cartridges: .270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, .308 Winchester, and .30-06 Springfield. Each of these are well covered in my series of articles on centerfire rifle cartridges, and I recommend reading those articles for more information about the history, ballistics and capabilities of each of the cartridges on the short list.

I would summarize thusly. If you feel you must have a magnum rifle the 7mm Remington Magnum is the cartridge for you. If you realistically anticipate a high percentage of long shots at large game, and don't mind carrying a relatively long and heavy rifle, the 7mm Rem. Mag. is a good choice. With appropriate loads it can shoot as flat as a .270 or hit large game as hard as a .30-06. A typical scoped 7mm Mag. rifle weighing 8.5 pounds generates just about 20 ft. lbs. of recoil energy with most common loads. A heavier 7mm Rem. Mag. rifle, like some of the Weatherby models with a catalog weight of 8-8.5 pounds and a scoped weight of approximately 9-9.5 pounds, are more comfortable to shoot. Don't accept a barrel shorter than 24" on any 7mm Magnum rifle.

If you are contemplating the purchase of a long action rifle of standard weight and length in a standard caliber, whether single shot, bolt, lever, or pump, then the .270 Win. and .30-06 are probably the best choices. They offer somewhat more case capacity than the .308 Win., and ultimately that translates into slightly superior performance with maximum loads. There is nothing wrong with a standard size rifle in .308 Win. caliber, but there is no particular advantage, either. Accept no rifle with a barrel shorter than 22" in .270 or .30-06 caliber.

The exception to this would be if the rifle you are contemplating is an autoloader. The .308 Winchester was specifically designed to function reliably in autoloading actions, and it replaced the .30-06 in military use primarily for that reason. Reliability is the most important aspect of any hunting rifle, so the .308 Win. is the odds-on choice for autoloaders.

The primary advantage of the .270 is that it shoots flatter than the other standard cartridges; in fact, it shoots just as flat as the 7mm Magnum. The .270 is the yardstick by which other long range cartridges are measured, and the top choice for that purpose. The .270 is also superior to the .30's with light weight bullets, so if a lot of jackrabbit shooting or predator hunting is on the agenda, as well as an occasional elk hunt, then a .270 is probably the best bet. The .270 kicks a little less in a standard weight rifle than a .30-06 or 7mm Magnum, or than a lightweight .308 rifle, but none of these high intensity numbers are light recoiling cartridges.

If you are saving for an Alaskan hunt that includes moose and brown bear, and simply cannot afford to buy a medium bore rifle to take on your dream hunt, then the 7mm Rem. Mag. or .30-06 would probably be the best choices for your all-around rifle. They are slightly superior to the .270 or the .308 for the really big stuff. Ditto if you live in an area where elk and moose (or similar size animals worldwide) are your staple game, or where an encounter with a large, dangerous predator (like a lion or grizzly bear) is a real possibility.

If you are contemplating purchasing a lightweight rifle with a barrel shorter than 22", you should seriously consider the .308 Winchester. That is the situation in which I found myself some years ago. My all-around rifle at the time was a standard weight Winchester Model 70 in .270 Win. It was accurate, powerful, flat shooting, and a handsome rifle. But every year it seemed to get heavier. I yearned for a handier rifle. In fact, I frequently found myself carrying my little Marlin 1894 lever action .357 Mag. carbine simply because it was so much easier to tote.

I decided it was time for a new rifle (you know how it is). Ultimately, I wound up with a Ruger M77RSI, their Mannlicher stocked carbine, in .308 Win. I have always been a sucker for a trim Mannlicher style stock. But the point is, if you want a short, light rifle a short action just makes sense, and the .308 Winchester fits the bill.

Note: All-around cartridges are compared and covered individually in detail on the Rifle Cartridge Page.

Posted By: 444Matt Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
I think that was pretty well written and offers pretty standard, reliable advice.
Posted By: 458Win Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
All-around depends on where you live and what you hunt.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
Bare in mind though, my rifle preferences are pretty boring. I own 30-06, 270, 300 savage, and 30-30 winchester. I love old, boring PROVEN rounds.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
If I had to get all my hunting done with one rifle/cartridge I'd take a .357 magnum carbine. A Marlin 1894 or maybe one of the Ruger 77/357's would do. Light 38 specials for small game. Full house .357's for varmints and deer/black bear in the woods.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
I don't find much to disagree with,especially the 270,30-06,7 Rem Mag part.

I would add a 375H&H and know how to use it.... smile
Posted By: bea175 Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
30-06 , case closed
Posted By: prm Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
A bullet diameter between a minimum of .264" (6.5mm) and a maximum of .323" (8mm) is required.

Deal breaker for me. No 338-06 or 338 Fed. Otherwise seems pretty reasonable. Some don't seen to like his articles, but I think they are generally solid advice. Except this one! grin
The .270 will do me fine. From squirrels to moose.
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
I'm one of the .308 fans.
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12

7-08REM & .308WIN are my all-around cartridges.

I like 7mm bullets. Both 7-08 and 7RM are awesome.

And I like .308 lightweight rifles !
Posted By: MckinneyMike Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I think that was pretty well written and offers pretty standard, reliable advice.

+1 kinda like using a few hundred words to say vanilla ice cream is good.
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
Originally Posted by MckinneyMike
+1 kinda like using a few hundred words to say vanilla ice cream is good.

laugh laugh
Posted By: raybass Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
Pretty much spot on as far as I am concerned. 375 H&H for dangerous game would be an excellent addition to that battery.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
I too found it to be reasonabely accurate.I think the reason that he didn't include the big bores is because the selected cartridges only included CXP2 & CXP3 game not dangerous game.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
Originally Posted by 458Win

+1 Phil, 270WCF is about my favorite.
Posted By: medicman Re: all around cartridges - 01/05/12
Many of us own a 375 H&H, but realistically there are few of us that hunt game requireing that level of power. I shoot mine a lot, but so far I have not hunted game where it was required. I dream of it and that is why I own and shoot it.

When speaking of an all around calibre or chambering one must needs generalise parameters. The trouble is that we are unique in the game we hunt, how we hunt it and also in our desires in firearm design and chambering.

Dober touches on this when he opines that it depends on where you hunt. (My paraphrase, not an attempt at a quote.)

Were I to list my all around choice, it would probably include the 22LR for small game, the 257 Roberts for deer sized, 338 WM for moose and large bear and the 375 for African dreaming.

If asked what I typically sling on my shoulder when going for a walk about in the bush it would probably be my 3006. I can't even generalise about myself let alone other hunters. Shoot what you think fits your needs. Shoot lots and shoot often. Being able to hit well is always more important than having the best all around cartridge chambeering with you.

I need to get back to my reloading bench and get the empty 303 and 7x57 cases recharged. smile
Posted By: pal Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
That's a pretty good read and I really can't find fault w/ the way it is presented. Using similar criteria, I present an example of a classic "all-around" rifle in a classic "all-around" cartridge, my pre-'64 Winchester Model 70 in .30-06. grin
[Linked Image]
Unbelievable bullet, ammo and rifle selection and availability.
Adequacy in all respects w/ a long and well proven reputation for taking game animals of all sizes.
Manageable recoil.

Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
"All Around" is relative to where you live and hunt.

If you want to cover it all maybe a 375 H&H?

For North America I'd suggest a 270 Winchester, a .30/06, or a 243 Winchester.
Posted By: woofer Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
You can kill anything with anything... AR15, 243, 06' and a 375....

W
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
I think the intent of the article was if you could only afford one rifle to hunt CXP2 game{pronghorn,whitetails,sheep}to CXP3 game{elk,moose}along with some european and african counter parts he listed 4 calibers that could do it all.You could pick any one of the 4 and be able to hunt anything except dangerous game.At least thats what i got out of the article.
Posted By: Brad Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
The world is full of all-around cartridges, where are the all-around riflemen?
You can kill anything walking this planet with a .270 if you got the hair.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
Sounds good to me--the top four are there for a reason.

Add the 243 for Class 2 only hunts, and you're there.
Posted By: Squints Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
Originally Posted by woofer
You can kill anything with anything... AR15, 243, 06' and a 375....

W

...And you COULD kill a Cape Buffalo with a a kitchen knife.
Note: That is ill- advised

I wouldnt recommend tackling dangerous game with .223. But if you like long odds and lack the will to live, knock yourself out. I'd make sure my guide was close so he can finish off the bull.... ( or put me out of my misery
Posted By: simplyme Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
Add the good old 25-06 and its about perfect.
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
Originally Posted by 458Win

Damn straight!
Chuck Hawks strikes me as an internet expert extraordinaire...
Posted By: Blackheart Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
It sure doesn't take a genius to write that article. I read the same one when I was a little kid. Not sure who the author of that one was now. Could have been any number of writers. Since every damned one that ever wrote an article for a gun rag has done essentially the same article since Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith were just getting started.
I'm always amazed when someone uses Chuck Hawks as a source of credible anything... I'm loathe to quote gunwriters in general, and when I do it's not going to be Chuck Hawks. Ever.
Posted By: chicoredneck Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
Originally Posted by Brad

I don't know the man and do not know his history. He is knowledgeable, but he strikes me as something of an internet expert as well. Many of his views that he espouses are not necessarily incorrect, but smack of the common internet lore that floats around that is parroted by those who lack real experience. On the other hand, some of his writings show real experience with shooting, maybe just not as much hunting.

Again, I don' know the man, so I really have no place to pass judgement.
Originally Posted by chicoredneck

I don't know the man and do not know his history. He is knowledgeable, but he strikes me as something of an internet expert as well. Many of his views that he espouses are not necessarily incorrect, but smack of the common internet lore that floats around that is parroted by those who lack real experience. On the other hand, some of his writings show real experience with shooting, maybe just not as much hunting.

Again, I don' know the man, so I really have no place to pass judgement.

He may be the most experienced hunter on planet earth... all I have to go by is what I've read.

I think it's easy to judge guys like my old favorite Finn Aagaard, or John Barsness, and Phil Shoemaker... they're out in the light of day for all the world to see and I KNOW those guys aren't internet jockey's... I guess if I'm going to quote a writer it'd be one of those.

But it's still going to be a rare event...
Posted By: chicoredneck Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
He also had an article disparaging ARs as a hunting tool. That really soured me. I have found ARs to be a fine hunting instument in many scenarios and the last thing we need is someone giving antis fodder.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12

Funny, he could have written that after reading Outdoor Life's list of most popular cartridges...
Posted By: Blackheart Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
I've got a collection of "Hunter-trader-trapper" magazines from the 1910-1913 time frame. The "all-'round" rifles and cartridges recommended repeatedly by the writers of that day were the .30-30 and.32 special in the Marlin '93 and Winchester '94, and the .30-40 Krag and .303 British in the Winchester '95.
I load my 308 with 125 sierras in the summer for woodchucks, 165 partitions for deer and elk in the fall and since I'm in PA where the monster black bear live I loaded up some 180 partitions(though I know I could have stuck with the lighter bullets and been just fine). Anything in NA would die with the 308 in the right spot, not saying I would want to go on a grizzly hunt with my savage 99 308, but I'm sure it would get the job done just maybe not as fast as I might want or need( I got a .358 win for that).

God Bless,
MM
Posted By: fairchase Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
I often wonder why the .308 isn't picked-up more often as a great all round cartridge...especially in lightweight rifles.
Originally Posted by fairchase
I often wonder why the .308 isn't picked-up more often as a great all round cartridge...especially in lightweight rifles.

It is for me!

I've killed coyotes, antelope, mule deer, whitetail deer and elk with the 308. If that's not all-around I don't know what is.

If a guy fails to grass any bull elk he ever encounters with the 308 it's his own fault or he chose a crappy bullet...

Posted By: semi Re: all around cartridges - 01/06/12
It is for me. 308 is one of the best. Must to to boring for some fanatics but anything in the lower 48 it will handle with ease with less recoil than a 30.06
The 7mm RM was my all around cartridge for 20+ years, from light varminting to elk. No complaints whatsoever but I simply wanted to try something different. Nothing I've tried has worked any better including carts in .257, 6.5, .280, .308, .338, .375 and .45-70. All I got for my efforts was a safe full of guns and I have no complaints about that, either.

Instead of reading that fluff written by Chuck Hawks and the whole "best caliber" mental masturbation gak; the question posed by Brad should encourage some thought.
Posted By: pal Re: all around cartridges - 01/07/12
They're right here, around the fire...shaking their heads.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big_Iron Re: all around cartridges - 01/07/12
+1 for the .30-06 If I had to give all of them up but one, I'd probably be stuck with a .300 Savage because it was my first, but .30-06 makes the most sense to me. Whichever though. There isn't anything on this earth that I couldn't kill with either if I really wanted to.
Posted By: PastorDan Re: all around cartridges - 01/07/12
I love old, boring PROVEN rounds.

What does "proven" mean besides proven to be popular? Lots of rounds aren't popular (and never will be) but they all killed what they shot.
Originally Posted by PastorDan
I love old, boring PROVEN rounds.

What does "proven" mean besides proven to be popular? Lots of rounds aren't popular (and never will be) but they all killed what they shot.

True but 106 years of dead stuff and still the most "popular" chambering in the US = PROVEN.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: all around cartridges - 01/07/12
Originally Posted by StarchedCover

Instead of reading that fluff written by Chuck Hawks and the whole "best caliber" mental masturbation gak; the question posed by Brad should encourage some thought.

Yes, the problem with these discussions is that they quickly deteriorate into talk about what suits individual "needs".To the guy who hunts deer and antelope every year,rolls the odd coyote or woodchuck now and then,and hunts cow elk once every other decade, a 257 Roberts is an "all around" cartridge...lots different from the fellow fortunate enough to be hunting a wide variety of the world's soft skinned game here and abroad.

That used to be the context in which we thought of all round cartridges,situations where the 30/06, the 7mm and 300 mags,the 375H&H, were shining stars among "true" all round BG hunters.

Plus the fact that the world today is loaded with cartridges providing similar and duplicitous performance,so that you get a huge headache distinguishing one from the other (eyes glazed over)and only a computer genius with 40 charts and an engineering degree from MIT can tell them apart....near as I can tell, the animals haven't changed much,and can't notice the differences in terms of which headstamp kills them.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by StarchedCover

Yes, the problem with these discussions is that they quickly deteriorate into talk about what suits individual "needs".To the guy who hunts deer and antelope every year,rolls the odd coyote or woodchuck now and then,and hunts cow elk once every other decade, a 257 Roberts is an "all around" cartridge...lots different from the fellow fortunate enough to be hunting a wide variety of the world's soft skinned game here and abroad.

That used to be the context in which we thought of all round cartridges,situations where the 30/06, the 7mm and 300 mags,the 375H&H, were shining stars among "true" all round BG hunters.

Plus the fact that the world today is loaded with cartridges providing similar and duplicitous performance,so that you get a huge headache distinguishing one from the other (eyes glazed over)and only a computer genius with 40 charts and an engineering degree from MIT can tell them apart....near as I can tell, the animals haven't changed much,and can't notice the differences in terms of which headstamp kills them.

Thuse the .30-06 I bet if that was the only round we were all allowed to hunt with, the same number of animals would hit the dirt this year. Same for the .270, 7x57, .308 and whatever else. Even if we had only the .243 We don't give ourselves enough credit. What is a hundred or so yards and a couple more weeks spent pounding dirt. Isn't that what we all get so excited about in the first place?
Posted By: MLF Re: all around cartridges - 01/07/12
.270 Win. for the parameters described in the lower 48. .375H&H for Alaska and Africa
Posted By: Odessa Re: all around cartridges - 01/07/12
I think I would stick with the .30-06 SPRG if I was picking one "all-around" cartridge to own for my hunting.
I wonder how the 30-06 would have been looked at if the .308 would have been created first. People probably would have criticized it for using more powder and a longer action for minmal gain. Timing is everything!
Originally Posted by PastorDan
I wonder how the 30-06 would have been looked at if the .308 would have been created first. People probably would have criticized it for using more powder and a longer action for minmal gain. Timing is everything!

Tell that to the .300 Savage... grin

FC
Posted By: Brad Re: all around cartridges - 01/07/12
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Tell that to the .300 Savage... grin

FC

Point taken! laugh
Very good point indeed!
Posted By: Big_Iron Re: all around cartridges - 01/08/12
Good thing we don't have to pick one. We'd probably be a little more leathal if we all did though. I bet my Red Rider killed more stuff than any of the centerfires I've ever owned.
Posted By: bludog Re: all around cartridges - 01/08/12
Originally Posted by US_Patriot

7-08REM & .308WIN are my all-around cartridges.

I like 7mm bullets. Both 7-08 and 7RM are awesome.

And I like .308 lightweight rifles !

Couldn't agree more on all points, except mine is a WSM instead of RM.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: all around cartridges - 01/08/12
All around any where and all game, 9.3X62 and a 6.5X55SE or 6.5X57. Should cover most situations. Of course I have and have hunted with both succesfully.
Posted By: fredIII Re: all around cartridges - 01/08/12
270 win. 7mm rm. 7 mm saum. 308 win
© 24hourcampfire