Home
I'm a big Sako fan plain and simple. I've never even held a 85 finnlight, however. Please give me the good, bad and ugly if you guys don't mind. Thanks in advance.
JG, I don't have an 85 Finnlight or a Kimber Montana, but I would go with an 84L for a hunting rifle.

Been thinking about trading my S/S 85 off on a Montana 84L in 270.

The Sako action is nice though, just not into the stock. McEdge 85 Finnlight would be sweet.

What cartridge were you thinking?

My 85 Grey Wolf went down the road. Theyre nice guns but not "that" nice. I've got a Montana .270, and a Model 7 SS 22" SAUM that'll get dressed like Rancho Locos as well as a Montana .223 on order.

I don't miss my Sako.
I have 2 M75 Finnlites. The 300 WSM Finnlite feeds the WSM's like butter and has shot quite a few 3 shot 3/4" groups at 200yds with 180gr Failsafe bullets. The 270 if anything is even more accurate.

The M85 has a better stock design and better magazine release. I'd love to have a couple M85's too..................dj
I have a 75 Finnlite in 270.It's a nice rifle and I paid a little over $900 new on close out.I love the easily adjustable trigger and can deal with the limited scope mounts.

I hate the seam of the injection molded stock.For the money they are asking you should get better quality,though it works fine.

The bead blasted finish will spot rust easily and show dirt easily on the magazine and trigger guard.I can wipe it down with metal polish and it looks as good as new.

Mine will shoot very small groups you can cover with a quarter with factory ammo at 100 yards.I suspect it could do better if I reloaded.Not every 3 shot group is that small but I expect factort ammo is the main reason.

I expect however that Sako will shortly change the model and parts will only be available on the secondary market.That hasn't been a problem on previous models though.

I would probably buy another if a good deal came around but I would put it in a McMillan Stock.
Beretta is not a good thing.

Too bad for Sako.
My girlfriend has a M85 finnlight in a 25-06 that currently sits in a McMillian Edge stock and she loves it. Its very accurate and easy for her to shoot. I can't say i have any complaints about it myself except that the factory stock isn't as nice as a McMillian.
I'm a 7mag junkie, have two of them already, but would consider another in the 85. Something for flat shooting, longer range stuff. I've got a 7-08 for a lighter duty cartridge, if you could call this superb caliber that. Love that -08. What do you suggest? Open country here like you hunt, long range definitely possible if wind is OK. I'm not sure the short mags offer all that much more than what I've got.
On anything except a 7mm-08 I think I would want a longer barrel than is on the Finnlite.I know I would with a 7mm Rem Mag but someone may know more about the other 7mm's than I do.
I have a Sako 85 finnlight in 270 winchester. It weighs 7 lbs 6oz (if I remember right) with optilocks and Leupold vx-3 3.5x10x40 cds.

It shoots alot of different loads about like this at a 100:
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

And kill stuffs like this:
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

The only thing I don't like is that I don't own one in 30/06... grin

Dink

Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm a big Sako fan plain and simple. I've never even held a 85 finnlight, however. Please give me the good, bad and ugly if you guys don't mind. Thanks in advance.

Getcha one...it'll do a 7 mag justice.

Dink, that's a great buck...my 85 Finnlight didn't come with one like that.
I don't own a 85 but have handled enough to know they're a serious rifle.
The best factory rifle bar none for those $ IMO, & that includes Sauer. Buy & enjoy(no smith work) unlike many other production rifles out there. Which are often like playing a game of Russian roulette....

Those Finnlights are superb!
Great rifle, but for the money I would rather have a custom. I'm mot a fan of the stock. An edge would be sweet though
I think there was a Finnlite in 270 with Conquest scope and mounts for $1500 (package they did). It was a real nice package that my cousin alomst picked up. It was the newer stock (older one had flex from what the web said).

http://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/gun-room/sako-finnlight-st-zeiss-deer-hunters-package-exclusive

Looks like a great deal???
The newer ones have the Soft Touch (ST) stock which is much nicer that the original stock. They are very nice rifles. I don't think you can go wrong with them.
I will make an exception now.
This time only I will mention Sako 85 and Kimber(newer production) in the same sentence. Cause they are not in the same league, in my opinion. Only thing better with the Kimber is the stock, but that can be easily fixed with the Sako, which in any case has a stock that works. Its not nice, but it works...

Unfortunately, I cant say the same about the Kimbers I have seen.
A shame, cause they seem so sweet.

However, Sako 85 is a good rifle. Not as good as the 75:s, but good. Sure, they are a tad lighter, otherwise not as good. On the other hand, the 75:s are not as good as the earier Sakos, and so on...
Yes, I have had a bunch of Sakos...
Originally Posted by atomchaser
The newer ones have the Soft Touch (ST) stock which is much nicer that the original stock. They are very nice rifles. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Good point. The ST stocks feel much better. The original felt like the Tikka to me
I keep hearing that the 85's are not as good as the 75's but no one has ever said why? The only thing that they come up with is the stock which is easily fixed, so what am I and others missing then?
I have several 75's and 85's. All my 85's shoot slightly better than my 75's with one exception. When my 300 rum (75) was new it was the most accurate Sako I have owned.

I do like the 75 stock more than the 85 stock but the 85 stock is very nice in my opinion. The 85's are lighter and have shot better so far but the stock is not quite as nice.

Dink
JG,
I purchased an 85 finnlite, in 270 win., this past spring for a sheep hunt I had planned for Aug. of 2011 in Alaska. This was going to be my 3rd attempt and I wanted to change something to change my luck.(anyway,that's what I told the wife)
I used the extra low optilocks with a Leupold 4.5-14X40mm. I set the trigger to 2 lbs. and tried a lot of different brands of ammo. I finally settled on Barnes Vortex in 130 gr. TTSX's. (I don't reload) Anyway, I took a nice sheep at 450 lasered yards.
I can't say enough about the Sako or the ammo.
Good Luck with your purchase!
I had a M75 in 25/06 which I wasn't happy with. It didn't shoot as well as every one else said they did. I was told the barrel had been changed out on it so whether it was a poor job or not I don't know.

Replaced it with a M85 Finnlight in 30-06 (factory new). Superb rifle, excellent accuracy, nice handling, etc. If I was to complain about anything it would be about not being able to get certain calibers with 24" barrels. If you want something that works without the need to tweak this is the one IMO.

Jim
I had a 75 & although it was a good rifle, the 85 is a much better rifle for a walking meat gatherer IMO
Son's 270 WSM 75 Finnlight and javelina. Every bit as accurate as my 85 300 Winnie..

[Linked Image]
I saw one like that the other day down at my LGS. I
I really like the pronounced palmswell & inserts on those 75's. Extremely well made rifles!
The 85 has a mich simpler (cheaper) safety, it only blocks the trigger and bolt handle, while on the 75 it also blocks the firingpin. Recoillug is a lot sturdier on the 75:s.
The whole action on the 85 is lighter, but also made in a more costefficient way.
I forgot the magrelease, that is better with the 85:s.

Overall, MY opinion is that the 75 is a lot better.

Opinions vary..
JG, the thing I don't like about the 85(mine is a WSM) is how wide the stock is in the mid-section. Most of the time when hunting I have the rifle in my hand and the 85 sorta carries like a 2x4.
The A7 on the other hand(no pun intended) feels like my little Kimber 84 when I pick it up. Slim and light, easy to carry all day.
Of course that is all subjective and you might like the 85 better than an A7.

The 85 is more fun to shoot, A7 more fun to hunt. A7 does have bottom 'plastic' though which is why I would get an 84L if starting from scratch.

[Linked Image]

As for cartridges we both know anything from a 25-06 through 300 mag is gonna work fine.
Thanks fellas. I appreciate the opinions. Sam, nice pic for comparison. One of my hunting buds from Louisiana showed up in TX deer camp this year with an A7 in 7mag. I liked it, and it shoots lights out. Plastic doesn't bother me....I have a couple of Tikkas and they're tough as nails.
Originally Posted by asti
The 85 has a mich simpler (cheaper) safety, it only blocks the trigger and bolt handle, while on the 75 it also blocks the firingpin.

I thought the 85 still blocked the firingpin confused , as does the A7 confused

Are you 100% sure asti?

Sam, how about your A7 & 85?

PS- Not being a smartass just trying to piece these actions together wink
I also see no difference in safety/trigger design between 75/85.

I prefer the slimmer lighter feel of the 85. 85 also gets style points for a sleeker fluted bolt shroud. lol
I have owned several of both and like the 85 better stock and all, I never warmed up to the white looking metal on the bottom of the 75 Finnlight (whats up with that fugly chit?).............Hb
I have disassembled a bolt to make sure. At first I thought it had the same features as on the 75, but two Finnish guys told me otherwise. When I took it apart and measured, I saw that they were correct, the safety pin that goes up in the bolt and also blocks the same, still doesnt block the firingpin.

VAHillbilly:
I agree with you on the metal, it doesnt look good...
I'm surprised I thought for sure it blocked the firingpin. O well & on that note, I like the 75 a little more than I did wink
For me the 75 is too dang heavy to carry, heavier than most rifles.

I went with the 85 and also have an A7 as well, I think the A7 is a very accurate platform, but so is the 85.

99.99% of all Sakos are very accurate, so are the Tikkas.
Only one of my Sakos(out of six 75:s, two 85:s, two AV, three Forester/L579:s, two Vixens and one A2...) have shot like crap, it was a .223 Remington. Bought it used and the barrel was probably shot out.
I have only had three Tikkas, but they have all been great shooters. The Finns know how to make accurate and still fairly cheap rifles.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have owned several of both and like the 85 better stock and all, I never warmed up to the white looking metal on the bottom of the 75 Finnlight (whats up with that fugly chit?).............Hb

It does get dirty easily but cleans easily enough also. Grip areas soft and tacky...like the monte carlo... like the 75.

I noticed Cabelas shooting mini catalogue recieved yesterday featuring a Finnbear...nice looking rifle. Wood/blue with a raised cheekpiece, bear inlaid pistol grip, looked like a brown or red recoil pad, and rosewood foreend...7.4 lbs
I've owned lots of Sako's. The best ones are the old ones, hands down. I owned a 75 in stainless synthetic 25/06. Had to file off the pressure point on the front of the plastic stock to get it to shoot, but when I figured that out, it shot great. It was a bit heavy but I loved it. Bought an 85 s/s in a 338 Federal and the cartridge was...wow! Hated the cheap stock. Did I mention I HATED the cheap stock? So did my buddies. It was embarrassing to have your buddies look at your Sako and go, "Uh, nice rifle." when you know they hate the stock. Shot 185 Barnes X bullets great first season and the caliber killed GREAT. Second season accuracy went to 2 1/2" and could not figure it out, drove me nuts trying to clean and tweek it to shoot. Leupold scope, copper cleaned, blah blah blah. I paid just $750 for the 85 Finnlite NEW, and it still wasn't worth it, to me. Sold that pig. Berreta didn't do Sako any favors. Still shoot a Sako Vixen rechambered to 221 Fireball, and had a Sako 22-250 for decades and both are epic rifles. Sako's coasting on their reputation right now, in my strong opinion.
I really dislike the recoil lug setup on the 85 and the fact that it needs an insert to work as designed. I remember when McMillan was tooling up for making stocks for the 85 and it took time to get the design figured out....CHEESY DESIGN:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As for the weight of the 75s, I have never noticed this as an issue with the synthetic stock models. My 75 SS is much lighter than the Remington ADL I hunted with previously.
SamO and other A7 guys....what scope mounting system you guys using?
Originally Posted by noharleyyet
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

It does get dirty easily but cleans easily enough also. Grip areas soft and tacky...like the monte carlo... like the 75.

I noticed Cabelas shooting mini catalogue recieved yesterday featuring a Finnbear...nice looking rifle. Wood/blue with a raised cheekpiece, bear inlaid pistol grip, looked like a brown or red recoil pad, and rosewood foreend...7.4 lbs

I hate the white metal as well. Mine got dirty very easily. I sent it off and had it CCd in battle ship grey. Still too light, but doesnt seem to hold dirt as bad.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
SamO and other A7 guys....what scope mounting system you guys using?

JG, Talley LW's(Leu 6x42).

[Linked Image]
The model 85 is advertised as having CRF. Any 85 owner please comment on this. Thanks...
I use opti locks on my 85's,, and talleys one piece on everything else
has anybody with the new soft touch coated stock on the 85 finnlight really roughed it up, like dropping on rocks, carrying on a backpack or 4 wheeler rack? any problems? I am sure it's good for the range but am wondering if it peels off eventually if you are rough on it. I have a wood stocked 75 and want to get a finnlight mostly because i am sick of the weight but also because i am chewing the stock up pretty good in the hills. a tikka would suit my needs but man when you handle them side by side that sako is pretty nice
I traded away my 75 Finnlight and bought a second 85 Finnlight. The 85's have a better magazine setup, are lighter and shoot even better than my 75.
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
The model 85 is advertised as having CRF. Any 85 owner please comment on this. Thanks...

They're not really CRF. They have full control of the round only once it's about 75% chambered. It doesn't hurt anything but doesn't offer the benefits of a full length extractor type CRF.

The 85 handles better than the 75's which I thought were kinda clunky.
Originally Posted by Horseman

The 85 handles better than the 75's which I thought were kinda clunky.

And(IMHO) the A7 handles way better than the 85. Not even close for a hunting rifle.
The 85 is a little easier to shoot though.
i'll have my new A7 at the range in about a week...i'm waiting on the scope the new leupold VX-2....i'm curious to see if it is as good as the old VX-III....only time will tell....regards...bearit..
I purchased a Sako 85 "Hunter" rifle yesterday in .260 Rem and it fits me like a glove and balances extremely well. So well, that now I'm curious about an 85 Finnlight in .300 WSM. The trigger is awesome too.
© 24hourcampfire