Home
Posted By: PaHuntin Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
Saw this new rifle from Kimber online from the Shot Show.

http://www.americanhunter.org/m-blogentry.aspx?id=4058&cid=46

Pretty impressive weight of 4lbs 13oz. Comes with a removable muzzlebrake. It will be available in 308 Win, .270 Win., .280 AI, and 30-06. Wonder what the MSRP will be on this gun?

I really like the looks of this rifle. I can't wait to get my hands on one later this year whenever they hit the shelves.
Posted By: TDN Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
Looks like a sweet rig. Turn one out in a 260 and I might be very tempted.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
Sub 5 lbs! $1600?
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
So it's only 5oz lighter than a regular Montana?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
I was just shooting my 7 WSM Montana this weekend, and I was thinking it's about as light as I want to go in that cartridge at least. Pretty much the same with the 84M 7-08, IMHO they're just about the right weight for the mountains.
Posted By: PaHuntin Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
5oz lighter than the Montana in .308.

13 oz lighter than the 84L in .270, .280AI, and .30-06
Posted By: BradArnett Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
I would buy one in 243.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
How low can they go?

I have Montanas in 300 WSM and 257 Roberts that I enjoy shooting and are very accurate, but I'm not sure I need anything any lighter in either caliber.

donsm70
Posted By: Tanner Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
Wow. That thing looks sick
Originally Posted by BradArnett
I would buy one in 243.

I was thinking they missed the boat a little by not having a 7-08, 260, and 243.
Originally Posted by PaHuntin

Yeah, he says 308 in the video. I'd be surprised if they got the LA rifles to come in at 4lbs, 13oz.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
Originally Posted by PaHuntin

The long action should be heavier. Notice be specifically only mentioned the weight of the 308. I'd like to have one in 280AI just for schitts and giggles.
Is this just a Montana with a fluted barrel and bolt, ear blasting muzzle brake, and gay digi-camo paint-job?
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
I can't imagine wanting anything lighter than the regular short action Montanas but whatever floats your boat I guess.
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Sub 5 lbs! $1600?

Awfully tempting......Hmmmm.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
I like it but don't understand the need for the muzzle brake.

People who would buy this rifle would normally be hard core types and not from the wus walmart crowd.

Posted By: prm Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
I like it. Make a great hunting rifle. Wonder how much the muzzle break tames the barrel jump? The Montana is a bit snappier than others in that regard.
Posted By: StoneCold Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
The brake has a thread protector cap so you don't have to have it - looks like. Good call on that at least. I know Rifles Inc. likes to brake their lightweights too. Trying to capture more market share I would think.

I'm not sold just yet. I think they missed the boat on the SA calibers as well. They will probably come out though. I still have to question their motives though..they just started getting 84L's out and they seem to be selling great...so great I was told 4 to 10 months to get a new .270 84L....direct from Kimber to my dealer. Yes, I am going to wait.... crazy

SC
A fluted Montana with opti-fade stock dip, nothin wrong with that!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12

They finally got the word on their triger guard.
They do keep coming up with reasons to buy another one don't they?

If they chamber it in .260 I will start saving my money...again.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
I just read the part about the brake.....I'll take the extra 5/13 oz.
Does the aluminum trigger guard fit on a Montana? ...or the bolt and handle for that matter. Inquiring minds want to know. Anybody at SHOT who can ask?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
Uh Oh.....the game has really changed! cool

That is cool! I want one of them.....in 270 of course!

The stock is like a bull dog puppy...ugly enough to make you wretch, but cute at the same time.

A long action no less! Thank gawd....none of those vertically challenged dinky cartridges. whistle grin

How much?
Posted By: woofer Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
Would rather have a used M in anything and $700 plus in my pocket for a match tube and 50% down on the scope for it. And I am a weight slut..........

Buuuuuuuuuuut, all things marketing say more is better so I applaud them for going further with a great base product. Just the brake and the "Hoser" stock treatment are marketing wanna'bees doing fancy coffees and buying organic firewood........

W
The wave of the future, the wave of the future...

If any of you guys live to be 95, you�re going to get on the Campfire and see posts of guys in their 50�s proudly proclaiming how they scored a really nice classic old Tikka T3 or Remington SPS with a beautiful solid black stock and built sturdy �the way they useta be!�.
Posted By: raybass Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
That would put the long action at about 5lbs 1 oz I think. Thats light!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
At least it ain't Mountain Zombie...
Posted By: petr Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
like it
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
It's got a gay stock but other than that I like it....
Hope it shoots as good as all the other Montana's.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
270 or 308 is the pick here. Why no 7mm-08Rem? That would be the berries.
Posted By: KDK Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
Originally Posted by oregontripper
At least it ain't Mountain Zombie...

Ahh, man, that new Leupy would be perfect on it!
This one is directly aimed at the new 'Forbes' rifle IMO. Gotta luv competition wink
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
I like it........other than the price.................dj
Is that a cerakote finish?
Posted By: SU35 Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/18/12
opti-fade stock dip

Forget that! no way! deal breaker here, that's crap of the first order.

Originally Posted by SU35
opti-fade stock dip

Suck that! no way! deal breaker here, that's crap of the first order.

The pattern or the use of hydro-dipping? I am considering hydro-dipping a stock (not in that pattern). Curious as to the durability. It's pretty durable on my bow.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
Metro lookin' stock, threaded for a brake.

No thanks.

Might be a really great rifle but I would rather buy a regular Montana.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
Fluted.. It's a wanna-be rifle. smirk
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
I like the digital pattern, wish it wasn't a dip.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
Well it appears the Mountain Ascent beats the hell out of the Ruger American. Even with a break, I bet she's a barker in a 30-06 and 280AI. More coolness to save for.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
I could like one in '06 or .280AI. Remove the brake. Hafta see how the stock looked in person; not hard to paint it if it's too "metro" <g>...
Posted By: Deputydad Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
Maybe the price on the Montanas will come down.....ha ha ha
But I do kinda like it....
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
That muzzle-break will be handy over the bench whilst sighting-in as it tames recoil down somewhat(this rig will need it!), but makes it noisier.....a compromise..... But saying that. I squeeze off about ten rounds a year on my Deer, usually only needing 1 shot... so thats really not a worry for me.

I used to care what rifles look like but these days I only care about function. And camo stocks, especially if sporting the soft touch type like 'duratouch' serves a purpose.
Rifles are just a means for me to get meat now.

A friend that introduced me into the art of stalking Deer said to me once. "I used to have toys, now I have tools" wink
The more I think about these 2 new rifles(Forbes) the more I get excited to where we are headed in the future regarding 'true' ultralight rifles. Meaning. The majority of 'factory' lightweights that were offered in yesteryear had barrels cut down, non trimmed actions etc.......
It's great to see companies like Kimber, Forbes & Blaser(K95) give us the chance to own a 'walking stick' wink

I would luv to see Sako & Sauer offer a true UL in the next few years.
Posted By: rugerrunner Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
Metro Ascent.... LOL.. I think I like the idea tho. 7-08 and I might be a buyer. RustyL
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
Damn, that is neat. Any idea on what the price tag will be?
Posted By: SU35 Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
That muzzle-break will be handy over the bench whilst sighting-in as it tames recoil down somewhat(this rig will need it!),

And after site in and you take the break off your point of impact will be different. Stock design will benifit you better for recoil than a brake.
Originally Posted by SU35
That muzzle-break will be handy over the bench whilst sighting-in as it tames recoil down somewhat(this rig will need it!),

And after site in and you take the break off your point of impact will be different. Stock design will benifit you better for recoil than a brake.

Hmmmm I didn't realize this was the case. Some Roy freaks I know have the same sorta breaks, they didn't mention this. In that case I would just leave it on & live with it...

True.
I had a Sako L579 in 308Win that used to slap me in the mouth more than not. The others were a CZ550 in 9.3, although that was not as bad....
Posted By: todbartell Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
cool rifle. I like it
Posted By: CFVA Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
Originally Posted by 340Wby
This one is directly aimed at the new 'Forbes' rifle IMO. Gotta luv competition wink

Never owned either one, but if I were dropping that much on a factory rifle it'd be the Forbes.

I've got 5 bucks that says the new Forbes rifles excede the Kimber benchmark concerning Quality Control.
Posted By: jgs9455 Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
I like. Would like to see more pictures, specs, price and then compare to the Forbes. Don't think the Forbes is out yet either.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
The Kimber Ascent is ugly to my view with its fluted barrel and crazy paint mess on the stock.

[Linked Image]

However I would like to handle one and see how it feels what with its very light weight. I could spray the stock gray and ignore the barrel.

Good to see Kimber trying to stay up front with the lightweight rifle trend.
Posted By: JPro Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
I saw mention of the Kim-Pro finish, but no mention of the steel. Surely it is SS, not just coated CM? I don't need one either way, but I do believe that a hard-use rifle should have an SS tube and I could care less about exterior coatings. The bore is what matters.
Posted By: fishdog Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
I saw the rifle at the DSC show and im on the fence about it. The stock is ugly but felt good at least. I figure it wouldnt take much to have it repainted. Also i was told the weight would be 4# 13oz with the included talleys.
Price?
That rifle, with its grey metal, might look good with a black coat of paint on the stock. Hmmmm...
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
I spray painted a Bansner with Krylon gray paint and it looked ok and can be touched up.

That rifle has slots cut into its extractor, a 'fluted' bolt and what not. Its not much different otherwise from the Montanas I have.

If I carry a 84M up the 'mountain' all day in VT it will not matter much if its an Ascent or a 84M 308.

To some who hunt way back up in the Rockies it may matter.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
I can tell you for certain that the designers of this rifle are owners and great fans of the ULA. Looks like they went for the
"Sitka Gear" look on the stock. Looks like crap though and dipping for camo is a cheap turn off.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
I'd be really giddy if it was a standard Kimber MT stock color and Stainless finish.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'd be really giddy if it was a standard Kimber MT stock color

Yeah, what's not to like about battleship grey?

Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/19/12
I'll pass... the standard Kimber MT's are plenty light enough.
I like it, can't wait for the first 7 Mashburn prototype to hit the Big Sky border...grin

Dober
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/20/12
I like it too. Now if I only had $1600 with nothing better to do...
Posted By: TopCat Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/20/12
You can save even more weight by carrying only one round of ammo...just saying.

TC
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/20/12
I would like to handle one to help form my opinion, but I think I like it.
The shank looks overly long to me...grin

This is just me but I do like the stock color quite a bit mo better.

Dober
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/20/12
I've hunted pretty extensively with the "standard" Kimber Montana in 308 Win... scoped w/rounds and sling it comes in at 6lb 4oz's... no way I'd want one lighter.
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/20/12
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

This is just me but I do like the stock color quite a bit mo better.

Dober

I think it is an upgrade over the standard Montana stock. Should hide scratches nicely
Posted By: Washburn Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/20/12
Originally Posted by Brad
I've hunted pretty extensively with the "standard" Kimber Montana in 308 Win... scoped w/rounds and sling it comes in at 6lb 4oz's... no way I'd want one lighter.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. My TI chambered in .30-06 took some practice to get used to. I'm thinking around 5 lbs, even in .308, could be interesting. 7mm-08 would have been a good first offering in my opinion.

We'll see.

Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/20/12
I hope Kimber is expanding their production line to keep up with new models. I don't quite see the need for another level of ultralight rifle but their market research must indicate otherwise.
Posted By: wyliec Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/20/12
I would buy one in 243.

Agree!!! Seems like a no-brainer to chamber this in .243!
Posted By: prm Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/20/12
For .308 and below I could deal with less weight than a Montana. Be interested more in the balance. Since the weight appears to come from the middle it might feel fine at a lighter weight. Any info on barrel length?
Be kind of fun in a Quick T 243...grin

Dober
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/20/12
I'd be worried about setting that thing down and having to go look for it.....grin

Posted By: brno284 Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/20/12
I will buy one in 280AI if they look as good as they do in the clip. Will lose the brake though, my hearing is bad enough!
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/21/12
Looks like the perfect predator calling rifle, if it were in the right chamberings.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/21/12
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Looks like the perfect predator calling rifle, if it were in the right chamberings.

O YEAH. 17Rem, 204Ruger.......
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/21/12
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Seems far too light for that task IMO...
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/21/12
I don't understand why this rifle ain't stainless, like the Montana.
Posted By: bloodworks Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/21/12
Never a problem and cheap to add weight back. I'll take it light out of the gate.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/21/12
Originally Posted by bearstalker
I don't understand why this rifle ain't stainless, like the Montana.

Yeah. The coolest thing about this rifle is the trigger guard.
Posted By: 338Federal Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/21/12
What Kimber really needs to add is another variation of the 1911.
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/25/12
I would buy one in 243.
. Me too
Posted By: johntree Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/25/12
you guys with those crummy remington titaniums better sell while the price is still good , when these kimbers hit the shelf no one will want those old remingtons, they will all be buying the NEW kimber

right ?
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/25/12
Good looking rifle all the way up to the muzzle break...WTF? a muzzle break on a 308 Win Really?.................Hb
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/25/12
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Good looking rifle all the way up to the muzzle break...WTF? a muzzle break on a 308 Win Really?.................Hb

How many sub 5lb 308's have you shot?

As long as it comes with a detachable brake and thread cover you can have the best of both worlds..............dj
Posted By: hardway Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/25/12
I'm in.... dont really like the stock color, but its all about the weight for me. Less I carry.... the farther I can go.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/25/12
DJ, I've Had 3 or 4 Sako Mod 75/85 Finnlights through the years and some of Remington's synthetic versions of their Model Seven in .308 Win and found them all a pleasure to shoot in this very mild kicking round. I have never been recoil sensitive and find it amusing that someone would actually feel the need for an ear splitting muzzle break on any short action standard cartridge bolt action rifle, if we were talking about a 5 lb bolt action rifle chambered in .300 WSM? maybe, but I still doubt it..............Come on guy's lets man up just a little here wink................Hb
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/25/12
Originally Posted by djpaintless

How many sub 5lb 308's have you shot?

As long as it comes with a detachable brake and thread cover you can have the best of both worlds..............dj

Exactly.....
I've shot 375 H&H's that aren't as nasty.

Hey, at least they didn't call it "Tactical" in the title. I see that Ninja's are making their way into the hunting rifle world though frown
Posted By: Montivagant Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/25/12
Gentlemen, how 'bout looking at Kimber's new MA this way:

Drop a Montana on one side of a balance scale and the newbie MA on t'other. The newbie rises above the 'Tucky.

Now drop 8-$100 bills and some change on the MA side. Hmmm....

Consider what will happen to the MA's painted/dipped parts in due course (have seen photos of the paint chafing off the MA bolt at the SHOT Show!).

Muzzle brake on a .308? C'mon.

Chamberings offered? Meh.

SS vs CM is a first round KO immediately after the glove touch. Boom!

Given all the above, I'd either go 'Tucky or have Chad Dixon build me a work of art in .243 AI. Where's the balance beam for you?

Here's my 2 cents on the rifle/concept. Kimber obviously feels there's a niche for it so they're taking a shot at it.

Not stls, no bigga casa grande to me, has a break on it aint my cup of tea but seems to be a lot who don't mind them.

Too light weight, for many for sure. But IME too light or too heavy is a personal thing. To me, the Montana 308 is too light but to others it isn't so go figure (not to say that I couldn't make due). Kind of reminds me of a friend who built runs a 5 weight on his 700/BDL wood handled 6/06. The guys about 2x my size and I'm not exactly small...anyway for him it's just right but for me it feels like and anvil. Something to learn with that I'd be for guessing...grin

This world aint a one size fits all.

Long and the short, I spect it'll have a shorter life than say the 325 WSM does but maybe not. As The Great One #99 would say, a shot has to be taken to go in the net... wink

Dober
Sorry, it's fugly. I don't care if you could remove the brake and use it for an emergency tracheotomy.. I want a nice crown and no brake!

Kimber got close though. Send me a .308 with the new triggerguard and the fluting that looks like the old Montana!
Posted By: prm Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/25/12
Just saw a close up, not a fan of the semi-glossy grey finish.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/25/12
Originally Posted by prm

It's to cover up the fact that it's not stainless.
Posted By: prm Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/25/12
Originally Posted by prm

It's the glossy aspect I don't like. I'd be okay with it if it were a matte finish.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/25/12
Are my eyes playing tricks on me, the extractor is skeletonized?

I'd pass on that also, looks like a great dirt catcher and why make it weaker in the first place, save .3 oz.? And the brake and the stock 'paint' job(tolerable but too techno Sikta gear lookin') and the metal paint/coating.
And it's how much more than a standard Montana?
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
If they would offer the new trigger guard, and fluting on the ss Montana (no muzzle brake) they would have a winner. I would opt for the fugly camo too just because I loathe the battleship gray on the std Montana
Posted By: BWalker Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
Originally Posted by prm

Maybe they made the shot show samples in Chromo and the production guns will be stainless?

At any rate I am thinking my groups would look like shotgun patterns with this gun, but it does look good.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
Originally Posted by hwgtyd
If they would offer the new trigger guard, and fluting on the ss Montana (no muzzle brake) they would have a winner. I would opt for the fugly camo too just because I loathe the battleship gray on the std Montana

If I ever get a Montana first thing I'd do post shoot test is spray paint the stock red or olive green.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
Surely not red Sam.....Grin.............Hb
Posted By: RinB Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
Oh if only it was made in 8mm/308 AI. Then I would buy one. Those guys at Kimber just don't understand anything. HAH!
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
Surely not red Sam.....Grin.............Hb

You know it Craig, that would look nice!

grin
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
That baby looks like a zombie death ray!
I've always wondered why others haven't adopted the "Kifaru" fore-end? Seems like it would save weight without a lot of other goofy modifications, and it really makes light rifles easier to shoot (or at least hold on to).

Otherwise, like others, I'm trying to figure out what all that extra smack gains me? A few ounces? You could save that by wisely choosing a scope or carrying less extra rounds.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I've always wondered why others haven't adopted the "Kifaru" fore-end? Seems like it would save weight without a lot of other goofy modifications, and it really makes light rifles easier to shoot (or at least hold on to).

Otherwise, like others, I'm trying to figure out what all that extra smack gains me? A few ounces? You could save that by wisely choosing a scope or carrying less extra rounds.

Probably because they are butt ugly.
Kind of a weird gun, but offer it in .260 and I want it.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
Looks like they painted the barreled action navy ship grey...should have been Cerakote!
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
Originally Posted by SamOlson

If I ever get a Montana first thing I'd do post shoot test is spray paint the stock red or olive green.

Red as in Clint Eastwood, Welcome to Hell red?

Hmmm...
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
Ugly stock, too light rifle... perfect for the Ninja Crowd.

The idiots in Yonkers would do far better to make a LH 84L and 84M.
Yep I know several folks that would jump at the chance for a leftie Montana. The new Mountain Ascent does looks pretty nice though. Though I have to wonder if you could get a TI bolt handle, flute your bolt, skeletonize the action, and get that schwanky trigger guard, you'd be right there weight wise and not have the lame color stock and have it in stainless. If you could do all that for less than $600, which I think would be doable if it were possible to find a aluminum trigger guard then I'd just build it myself.

So far I have my Kimber down to 80.5 oz in .308 just by swapping the bolt handle, it weighed in at 81.3 oz before the swap.....just 3.5 oz to go.... wink
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
The Ascent surely looks Zombie proof! In all seriousness, one wonders what really happens behind closed doors of "product development" meetings. You make a rifle really light, then put on a muzzle brake to mitigate the recoil. In my mind you are admitting it is too light and the recoil is an issue. Its obvious the brake design has added a few hundred to the cost.
You already have a solution, the standard 84M! While r&d is a very good thing, sometimes its best left behind those closed doors.
Whats a MT weigh in a short mag chambering? How about a original 700 TI in like chambering?
The last Mt/300WSM I weighed went 6lb 3oz naked.

Dober
R&D and QC should never be left out of the equasion... wink

Dober
Posted By: 300stw Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
id take one in 260 rem today if i could get one,,,,my wife and kid would quit fighting over my mdl 600 in 260 rem,,,
A mans gotta do what he can to keep the peace in the fam right... wink

Dober
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/26/12
Originally Posted by BWalker
Whats a MT weigh in a short mag chambering? How about a original 700 TI in like chambering?

My 7WSM with talley LW's and a FX3 6x42 M1 weighs exactly 7 lbs 0.5 oz...
Mine was just a hair under 6lbs, naked, and right at 7lbs 1oz with Talley's and FX3 6x42 w/ M1 ele.

If I wanted something lighter, I'd skip the MA and go straight to an 84M Montana in 7-08. Some Talley's and a light 4x scope should get me close to 5.75lbs.
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/27/12
Originally Posted by BWalker

I am not sure that there is a huge difference in weight between the original 700 Ti and the Alaskan Ti when you are talking short magnum chamberings. Here is my 300WSM with 2.5-8x36 leupold in a Classic McMillan Edge, retaining the BDL bottom metal. 6lb 9.2oz empty.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BWalker Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/27/12
I had a TI like that in 300 SAUM only it had the factory handle and a 3.5-10x40 VX-3. I could shot it ok off the bench on occasion, but it was a mess in the field. As a result it went down the road and soured me on light rifles.
Now, I shoot for 8-8.5lbs all up and I have been very happy with the results.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/27/12
If I buy one of these rifles you can bet a pound to a piece of [bleep] that it'll get used hard, straight up! And I disagree about the camo look. It seves a purpose 2 ways IMO. First, it breaks the rifle down..... Second, it will be quieter going through bush, branches etc, if that is a 'duratouch' type coating I can see?
But yes, I'm sure some(MH) will collect & play....

I don't care what the rifle looks like these day. Hence the reason I have hunted with Blaser R93 & R8's for the last 10 years.....That's one ugly SOB but bygeeeeeeeeezuz it has function wink
Posted By: LuJon Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 01/27/12
Be nice to know what the 280AI MA would weigh in at. My bare Montana 280AI was 5lbs 9.3oz. adding the Talleys and Swaro 3-9x36 bumped it up to 6lb 7.3oz and the sling and 4 rounds brought her to 6lbs 13.9oz ready to hunt.

I may get my bolt fluted and will admit that if someone came out with an aluminum trigger guard they would probably get some $$ out of me too. I doubt that I will pony up for a new MA, especially if it isn't stainless.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 02/15/12
According to Kimber's web site, the MA is stainless steel.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Kimber Mountain Ascent - 02/15/12
The 280AI would be a little sweetheart but I am a lazy SOB these days & could not be bothered sourcing brass, dies, then finding a load........

270Win or 308Win are the picks here for this Ascent.
© 24hourcampfire