Home
Posted By: KuduBull Sporterized Mauser Question - 01/26/12
I stopped by a pawn shop today and they have a military mauser rifle for sale. The barrel is stamped National Arms and is chambered in 30-06. It has a 2 position flag safety and sporter stock. Does anyone know anything about National Arms? I assume this is a company that rebarreled these actions. I can't find any information on the internet. Asking price is $185. Thanks for any information.
Posted By: Karnis Re: Sporterized Mauser Question - 01/26/12
Specifically what action?
Hard to go too wrong at $185.00, especially for a truck gun or similar. A Mauser in 30/06 should be a safe bet for usefulness and resale.
Not sure of the action. I could not see any markings. I'm not sure if they are under scope base or hidden by the stock.
Look for a recoil lug at the back of the action near the bolt handle, and check for cock on closing, or on opening. If no third recoil lug and the action cocks on closing instead of the opening stroke it is most likely an 1895 Action instead of a '98. Most do not care for the 95's as much. Should be some markings on the side of the reciever as well.
It is a 98 action. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Sporterized Mauser Question - 01/26/12
National Arms was an importer like Century International Arms (CIA) of today. I think they went out of business in the late 60's.

The action could be one of many but is probably a VZ24 with the crest scrubbed off. The stock is most likely a Fajen and the barrel is most assuredly one of the cheapest they could buy in bulk. I've seen a couple of these over the years. They aren't bad rifles if you can get it for a good price.

Terry
© 24hourcampfire