Home
Had a good day at the gunshow yesterday. I am no longer wont for a Mauser. I did a little trading and two of them came home with me. One is a like-new Interarms Mark X 30-06. The other is another commercial Mauser but I cannot find any markings other than 7mm (7x57). grin This makes me very happy! The closeups are the 7x57. It has a Timney and the sights are soldered, but the checkering looks machine-cut. The rubber buttpad is a Bubba job and needs replaced. If you recognize any particulars about the 7x57, please let me know. I can't wait to shoot them both!

After you look at my pics, please post some of your pretty Mausers. The whole world will be grateful. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice interarms Mark X. How much do you want for it? grin
early 50's Brno details on the thread about modern 8X57s
[Linked Image]

great detail work with the front sight sleeve sweated(?) on
[Linked Image]

1910 Erfurt all matching serial numbers- for those who might be concerned slugged at .323.

[Linked Image]

There also is a 1950s vintage beat up parker hale commercial mauser powder coated fiberglass stocked without a photo handy.

A nice custom on a '98 action:

[Linked Image]
Very nice, one of the shows in GR ?
VZ-24

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FN in 30/06 with Brown Precision stock

[Linked Image]

A few Husqvarnas

30/06 full stock, 7x57 half stock (rebarreled)

[Linked Image]

Husqvarna 9.3x57

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grin
7x57:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Her is my 96 Mauser with remington 22-250 varmit 24" barrel and
Richards thumb hole stock
[Linked Image]
1895 Chilean 7x57
[Linked Image]

VZ24 .257 Roberts
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mod 98 6.5x55 Swede

[Linked Image]
Mod 98 7x57 Mauser

[Linked Image]
Whitworth .30-06

[Linked Image]
VZ24 6.5x55 Swede

.30-06 Husky
[Linked Image]
.375 H&H Browning
[Linked Image]
7x61 Sharp & Hart
[Linked Image]
.300H&H FN Mauser (pre-Mike McCabe) will be back in a couple of weeks!
[Linked Image]
McMillan McWoody for .300H&H
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

[Linked Image]
VZ24 6.5x55 Swede

Great wood on that one!
Don't currently have any of these, but some of the ones I've owned:
My Argie:
[Linked Image]
.35 Whelen Improved
[Linked Image]

Can't find pics of the others right now, but I've had quite a few. Really liked both of the above ones though
not pretty...but gets a lot of use--7x57 G33/40 with Half Moon barrel in a High Tech Sheephunter

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Browning small ring FN w/original barrel rebored to 7-08

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Both Turks. Top is a 243AI and a Shaw bbl. The bottom is a 7x57, MPI stock and a A&B bbl. Both have Timneys, low safeties and Gibbs drop mags. They both are great shooters!
[Linked Image]
Brno 7 X57
Interarms Mark X in 30-06 that I picked up in 2011 for under 3 bills. The see thrus have been send to the landfill.

[Linked Image]

I also own a FN Mauser in 270.

I had just got my Rifle Looney Lust for a Mauser in 7x57 somewhat sated and you all go and start this stuff with "Show Me Your Mausers."

A cruel bunch you all are. Damned Cruel ! cry cry
Nice rifles guys!
Whitworth .375 H&H...no longer here, sold a couple years ago..

[Linked Image]

1909 argentine Custom by Dennis Erhardt...7x57...not mine, I just used it for a trip... frown

[Linked Image]

Interarms Mark X .30-06 still with us!

[Linked Image]
Ingwe-where's the black and white pic? I can't recall which rifle, seems to me a gemsbok though? That's one of the best pics I've ever gazed upon.

Dober
Coming up....Whitworth..

[Linked Image]

grin
Interarms Mark-X 7x57
[Linked Image]

Persian 8x57
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] Top one mine --Bottom one my Brother's-- Both are stippled.
Dang. Sweet rifles here. Looks like I got some catchin' up to do. grin

I really like my Ruger M77 MkIIs too. They are extremely solid, dependable rifles, much like Mausers. And the scope mounting system is bulletproof. I found one at the same gunshow that really intrigued me. It was an M77 MkII magnum in 416 Rigby. What a piece that is!
I pulled the "7mm" rifle apart to look for markings and found some interesting stuff. grin Under the stock, on the front receiver ring is stamped MADE IN BELGIUM and the letters FN inside an oval. On the bottom of the barrel shank is stamped FLAIG'S with a stylized L that I didn't recognize at first. Also on the bottom of the barrel shank is stamped "D 55." The action is extremely well-fited to the stock with a bit of bedding material on the bottom. The bottom metal is one-piece machined steel with an integral magazine box and very well-made. I don't think it was ever taken apart!

I did a bit of surfing. Turns out Flaig's was a custom gunmaker in PA after the war and used commercial FN Mauser actions, along with some others, and Douglas barrels to build custom rifles made-to-order. The bore is extremely smooth and the rifling very sharp and uniform. I hope the D 55 stamp means the barrel is indeed Douglas, possibly made in 1955. Can't wait to shoot it!

So, did I do OK? grin The guy I got the rifle from didn't know anything about it. As I said, the only visible marking was "7mm" stamped on the barrel. I found a couple Flaig Mausers for sale online for high prices. God is good to me. He even blesses my gun deals! But then, I asked him to at the same time I committed my meager collection to him. smile
My FN custom 264 Win 26" Douglas supreme and Timney trigger

[Linked Image]
Not mine, but my all-time favorite Mauser, Dober's G33.

[Linked Image]

"Ol' Ugly"...

[Linked Image]

It did a heckuva job on my 2011 mulie... smile

[Linked Image]

Ben
Cool beans Ben! Just talked to a freind on the Hi-line...no snow, and gophs are starting to peek out.... grin

Almost time for some hi-volume shooting! laugh
Yugo 24/47 chopped and converted to a 240 Weatherby. A really fine nail driver.
[Linked Image]

Working up a Swede 6.5 x 55 but it's not photo ready yet. The stock is shaped and ready for bedding and finishing. I just need more time.

Well, here goes a try. I had the camera out today to photograph some guns I'm going to try and sell locally and also took some Mauser photos at the same time. The light in my basement is not the best so the photos are mediocre at best but the weather is not good outside.

First a Mini-Mauser 223 with the original stock cut down and refinished to be used by grandkids and daughter-in-law.

[Linked Image]

Next is my old 7x57 off a military action to start with. Much modified and much used over the years. My sentimental favorite.
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Next a 1951 Husqvarna (LR FN action) 270, well worn when bought a year ago. Stock replaced with a Rem 798 stock and with a Pecar 4x scope that came on a different rifle. The scope mounts came with the 270 and they are old -but you can see that the Talley Lightweights are not exactly a wholly new idea they fit Weaver bases. The scope has a 26mm tube but on a whim I tried these rings and they appear to work (haven't shot it yet with this scope). The front site hood is off the Mini-Mauser.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Next the newest acquisition a Husqvarna FS in 30-06. Currently wearing a Burris 2-7X35 but will probably end up with a Leupold 3x20 as I prefer the looks of straight tube scopes on FS rifles.

[img]http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa451/CKW44/IMG_0034.jpg[/img]

Of course a post on Mausers would not be correct without my Henriksen 257 Roberts. It has a few nicks in the stock from honest use before I got it. It will be used again this year if I draw tags.

[img]http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa451/CKW44/027-2.jpg[/img][img]http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa451/CKW44/018.jpg[/img]

Last one that has been posted before. CZ 550 9.3x62 with factory wood that was refinished with TruOil.

[img]http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa451/CKW44/005.jpg[/img]
Here are a couple of mine.

G33/40 .270 Win. Metal work by Tom Burgess

[Linked Image]

G33/40 7X57 Metal and woodwork by Jerry Fisher

[Linked Image]
Wow! Beautiful rifles by legends!
I have a few Brno's and like them very much...
[Linked Image]
8x57 21H, 7x64 21H, 7x57 22F
and I traded off this Browning FN Safari .308, it had really nice wood...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
killed stuff good too!
[Linked Image]
Not mine but......

404 Jeffrey:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.....................dj
Siamese Mauser with home made stock - come to think of it the action re-contour and metal work is home made too! Danged near ruined my fingers draw filing. .35-348 Winchester Ackley Improved.

[Linked Image]

Commercial Interarms Mark X Mauser. Barreled action by RCBS with Shilen barrel. Stock by C.P. Donnelly. .375 Epstein Magnum.

[Linked Image]

Mauser actions are still among the best, if not the best.
an original type B still in use in Alaska

[Linked Image]
Nice one, Phil.

What caliber?

DF
Originally Posted by mtcurman
"Ol' Ugly"...

[Linked Image]

It did a heckuva job on my 2011 mulie... smile

[Linked Image]

Ben
Dang Ben! Nice one!
Originally Posted by 458Win
an original type B still in use in Alaska

[Linked Image]

That's a beauty, eh. A REAL Mauser sporter. Love the open grip and slim forend. What caliber is it?

The rocks are killer too!
7.6 S - what else ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
7.6 S seems to be the German way of saying 30-06. I was wondering how they came up with that designation.

Is that an abbreviation for 7.6 Springfield? Isn't .308" actually 7.62 mm? I would think the Germans would be more precise than knocking off the "2" from 7.62 mm. Maybe their way of "dissing" the English terminology...?

That is a really neat rifle... smile

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
7.6 S seems to be the German way of saying 30-06. I was wondering how they came up with that designation.

Meaning no offense here, smile But I thought the Euro designation for the '06 was:

7.62x63? ? ?

GH
7.6 S, according to sources on line, designates 30-06. I, too, am curious about 7.6 S.

7.62x63 makes a lot more sense, but that's not what's inscribed on this and other similar Mauser rifles.

Maybe Phil can help us out.

DF
7.6 Springfield. First time I heard it described that way. Certainly a capable round. There's lots of load data around, just don't expect to find the name 7.6 S. grin

I'm looking to Phil for an explanation of the 7.6 S. Bet he knows the story on that.

DF
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yugo 24/47 chopped and converted to a 240 Weatherby. A really fine nail driver.
[Linked Image]

Working up a Swede 6.5 x 55 but it's not photo ready yet. The stock is shaped and ready for bedding and finishing. I just need more time.

Like that one too
This is my current favorite Mauser. It is a 358 Norma Mag. built on a VZ-24 action. Someday soon, it's going to kill a grizzly bear. Take a look.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ugh, i need a mauser... preferably in a RAT caliber :-D that 358 norma is making me twitch..
don, what a work of art! A thumper too. The 358 Norma ain't for sissies! I love how the builder captured the transition from heartwood to sapwood. Just gorgeous. These custom Mausers are simply works of art just as surely as any painting. I'm glad they don't cost as much as a DaVinci!

I put a scope on mine tonight. I had a Redfield 2-piece base in the parts box for just such an occasion. grin The lowest rings I had on-hand were mediums. I prefer lows, but the little Leupold 2-7x33 doesn't want to be too much lower than this. The smallest gap is between the ocular bell and the safety. I could go lower with a slightly longer scope. The Leupold barely, and I mean BARELY, fit with just a RCH between the rear mount ring and magnification adjustment ring. Honestly, what I would really like on this rifle is a plain Jane steel Weaver K4 in pristine condition (like the rifle). The finish of a K4 would more closely match the blued finish of the rifle and allow some fore/aft adjustment. I do have a pristine old Lyman All-American 4x32 that would look good on there. I just love those Redfield bases! They do not protrude beyond the edges of the front or rear receiver rings, and the scope rings are positioned on the bases where they are supposed to be - right in the middle between the screws. Here's a pic:

[Linked Image]
Don, Your 358 Norma looks like it should work on your grizzly. It will stun them for sure.

The 7.6 S marking on the early Mausers was used to describe the 7.6 caliber with a spitzer bullet. It was Mausers designation of our military 30-06
Thanks guys. When I went to look at the collection, I had no thoughts of walking out with a 358 Norma.

When I saw the stock, I was hooked.

Don
My 280 rem
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have a couple, nothing as pretty as some of these. Now if "pretty" means function, then they are "knockouts".

Old reliable .308
[Linked Image]

The Newbie 9.3x57
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The swede 6.5x55
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some beauties on this thread!

Terry
fyshbum,

Can I have the 9.3? grin wink
I once turned down a nice commercial FN factory sporter for $350.

STOOPID STOOPID STOOPID!!! cry
.275 Rigby:
[Linked Image]

6.5x55 that I stocked:
[Linked Image]

6.5x64-Mark X, NECG three position safety, LW barrel, Brown Precision stock:
[Linked Image]

Husqvarna 456 that I sold to SH:
[Linked Image]

7x64 in a Brown Precision:
[Linked Image]

Found this short-fat Mouser on the road when he was leetle:
[Linked Image]
Looks like he's ready to sink those teeth into your hand if you tickle him one more time. smile
Hey Phil, do you have a history on that Oberndorf '06?? How did it come into your life, if I may ask. We had 4 Oberndorf Mausers come thru a local shop several years ago, but they had been " modified " to the point that they were not attractive at all.
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Looks like he's ready to sink those teeth into your hand if you tickle him one more time. smile

He's a big baby. He's never even snarled at anyone--that's his feed me grin. Obviously works very well. eek
Karnis,

Nice selection, but I really like the 275 Rigby.

I was drooling over one at the SCI show last month. (They made me move on.)

donsm70
A pair of Walther Mauser's. A 7x57 on the left and an 8x57 on the right.

[Linked Image]

A Swede in 7x57.

[Linked Image]

Another 8x57.

[Linked Image]

An FN 30-06.

[Linked Image]

An FN 9.3x62.

[Linked Image]

An FN based Husqvarna 9.3x62.

[Linked Image]

A pre-war JP Sauer Mauser in 35 Whelen.

[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/boxhead61/MiscGuns015.jpg[/img]

And an almost Mauser in 280 Rem. laugh

[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/boxhead61/043-1.jpg[/img]
Tony:

YOU SUCK! whistle
Two rifles built on G33/40 actions. Top one is a 7x57 built by Al and Roger Biesen together. Bottom is a 6.5x55 done by Roger more recently.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My goodness, that's some fine looking hardware!!
NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

Here is an intimate closeup, warts and all, of Ole Ugly my all time favorite.

[Linked Image]
You do put some miles on a Mauser.
IIRC, you did an article on Ole Ugly a few years back.

[Linked Image]

It's purdy grin
Here is a Mark Stratton/Chic Worthing Mexican M98 in 7X57 with some pretty decent wood.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry
That's not quite as beautiful as Phil's 458, but it's still really pretty.

Chic does great work!
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Two rifles built on G33/40 actions. Top one is a 7x57 built by Al and Roger Biesen together. Bottom is a 6.5x55 done by Roger more recently.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Spectacular. May I borrow one?
Originally Posted by TC1
Here is a Mark Stratton/Chic Worthing Mexican M98 in 7X57 with some pretty decent wood.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

You've been "lured" out smile. Between you, Woodsy & Tony, I'm not sure I could stand many more pictures. Those are some of the best I've ever seen. Perfectly executed work is something to behold. American gunsmiths/stocksmiths rule when it comes to customizing mousers.

The old adage: "If I have 'splain it to you, you wouldn't understand." applies in spades.

[Linked Image]

Awesome. I suppose that one feeds perfectly, eyeball to sights are spot on, it shoots right where you point it and in general, it never fails. I imagine it's hardly ever left behind. grin
Originally Posted by Karnis
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Spectacular. May I borrow one?

You can spot Biesen a mile away. Looks nice!

Terry
Karnis, that Rigby of yours is about as nice as they get. I would'a called it something different though laugh

Terry
What? .284 Rigby? whistle
HAR!
Here is an orphaned FN commercial action made for Browning that has been opened up to a H&H length cartridge.

Been tough to decide which caliber...

[Linked Image]
My CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery (do CZ's count as Mausers?)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Is Chic still whittling wood?
I think he's just doing engineering and retired from stock building.

Terry
Dang, I like Chic and always wanted him to do one for me. Might have to dig out his number.
I love this Mauser subject. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Coming up....Whitworth..

[Linked Image]

grin

Far and away one of my fav pics! B&W's have some sort of panache.

Dober
Originally Posted by Brad
Not mine, but my all-time favorite Mauser, Dober's G33.

[Linked Image]

Thx putting that one up Mac, I was out at sunrise banging away with it this morn. It's one of those rigs that likes sunrises almost as much as lousy weather...grin

Dober
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's a couple of my Mashburn #3 aka the "Dog" rifle

Dober
Mark, can you tell us a little about Mash #3. Thanks.

I like the barrel profile and bolt handle.
[Linked Image]
That's nice Mark!
Thx guyz, Obendorf that started life as a 9.3x64 and then found a better life as a 7 Mashburn Super. Nice stick of wood, barrels stouter than I like but such is life.

This barrels toast, wonder how a fluted tube would look on a pretty gun like this? Thoughts guys?

I shot a ton of chucks with those old rig.... wink

Thx

Dober
A fluted and blued would look kinda interesting... I say go for it! laugh
Thx TG-believe it or no but I kind of like stainless on the tube with a nice matte finish with pretty guns as well.

Dober
Stainless tube, matte/blued actions, IMO look skookum as well! Dad's pard/my best friend's Dad has a 243 like that... 700 matte action that all of us learned on, 26" SS Lilja, and a black HS stock. Love that rig!
Several times I have read on these forums questions about converting military rifles and the fact that you can buy a M70/M700 and others in the range of $400.00 to $800.00.

The concensus is that it is not worth the money or the time to equip a military rifle with the hinged floorplate, adjustable trigger, side safety, etc. that your 4-600.00 purchase comes with from the factory, NIB.

Anyone with a room temperature IQ would not have to ask that question if he saw the rifles pictured. Granted, some of them might cost more than $400.00, but the way I see it, if you have it, then go for it. I have and I did, on more than one occasion.

I don't have any good pictures to show, but I would not hesitate to do it again. If that is what you want and you have the money, you will get a bargain regardless of the cost of a steel guard and floorplate.

Well said!
Hey Phil, did you cut a military style thumb slot in the left side of the receiver by chance???....Or am I seeing things?
I feel a little sheepish showing this one again, but it is the only Lh Mauser I have owned...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Utah........you can show that as many times as you like. I doubt you'll hear a discouraging word from anybody here. Two thumbs up.
Any details on that one Utah? That is superb.
As "Wrong Handed" as that rifle is, it is still gorgeous.
fyshbum,

Not just yet whistle
Originally Posted by DaveIRL
Any details on that one Utah? That is superb.

There is a long write up on the blueprints thread. LH Charles Daly, with modifications, in 35 Whelen that I stocked.
To Phil and Ole Ugly,
I read your article awhile back on Ole Ugly. I thought I saw a Mark X action in that article? I see the latest pic posted has a thumb cut. I don't have the article with, just curious.It is a cool rifle.

David

Originally Posted by fyshbum
fyshbum,

Not just yet whistle

Me?

I was trying to get Woodsy or TC1 to loan me one but no dice. Matter of fact they didn't reply. No doubt due to the ridiculousness of my request. However, I'm making an appeal to your sense of fair play.

whistle
Karnis,

Swap you the 9.3 and the original Swede for either the .275 Rigby or the 6.5x55....

You know you want to try something new...right? smile

FB
fyshbum,

Not just yet whistle

Me?

I was trying to get Woodsy or TC1 to loan me one but no dice. Matter of fact they didn't reply. No doubt due to the ridiculousness of my request. However, I'm making an appeal to your sense of fair play.

whistle

I'm still thinking about it! wink
Karnis,

Swap you the 9.3 and the original Swede for either the .275 Rigby or the 6.5x55....

You know you want to try something new...right? smile

FB

In the famous words of the Poobah I think you should smoke a soggy one. grin whistle
upper 7x57 brno 22f with 3x meopta scope, my new babies!
[Linked Image]
Details mudhen ?
G33/40
280 Remington
Action work by Burgess/Echols
Woodwork by Al and Roger Biesen

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That is simply Beautiful!!!
Here is a really neat custom built from second's and worn out parts. Legacy commercial M98 action with integral mounts and SunnyHill rings. I bought this when Legacy closed them out. The blank was a Luxus second and the barrel was a worn out "guild" barrel 1/2 octagon 1/2 round with a full integral rib. After re-bore it's now a .338-06
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

I am feeling sooooooooo inadequate! frown

That rifle is perfectamundo!
then there's the other end of the spectrum

[Linked Image]
Chetaf

That is a beautiful rifle! Let me know when you are done with it.... so I can have a turn. grin
Terry,

Is it just luck to find and old barrel like that?
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Chetaf

That is a beautiful rifle! Let me know when you are done with it.... so I can have a turn. grin

Will do. The best part is that it is surprisingly light too. Only 7.75 pounds loaded and scoped.

Chet
Originally Posted by bluefish
Terry,

Is it just luck to find and old barrel like that?

They come up for sale every now and then. I bought that one off ebay back when you could buy and sell gunparts on there. I bought another on gunbroker and found another one on accurate reloading.
Originally Posted by toad

[Linked Image]

Nice 94/14 !
I have it's twin, all original with bayo. Picked it up at a flea market in Vermont for 75 bucks a long time ago. I even have the sling.
Darn, just when I thought this thread was fading away.
Beautiful rigs guys.
Here's one more, a BYF-44 I've had for a while. Bought the barreled action on a real bad Bubba stock and my friend took it from there.
8x57 original stepped barrel...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bucktales
Originally Posted by toad

[Linked Image]

Nice 94/14 !
I have it's twin, all original with bayo. Picked it up at a flea market in Vermont for 75 bucks a long time ago. I even have the sling.

yea, this one is completely matching numbers, including the stock/handgard. the nose cap was also stamped to match. it does have the muzzle wart though...
My contributions showing two of my sporting Oberndorf Mauser rifles. Both are factory original, but reflecting field use.(Apology that the photo quality is not better.)

First,Oberndorf Mauser sporting rifle, 7x57; marked �Mauser Werke A.G. Oberndorf a.N.� Features; "intermediate" length double square bridge action; solid left sidewall (no thumb cut); double set triggers; hinged floorplate with trigger guard bow release; barrel with same nomenclature marking as action; semi-octagon full integral ribbed barrel; tangent 1000 meter sight. Manufactured 1939.
Second, Oberndorf Mauser sporting rifle, 7x57; same specifications as above except: single square bridge receiver; thumb cut left receiver wall; Mauser logo on receiver ring; rear sight single fixed and two folding leaves; manufactured 1934.

>Seeking an original Oberndorf Mauser sporting stock.<

Attached picture R76-3U.jpg
Attached picture R76-4U.jpg
Attached picture R83-3.jpg
Attached picture R83-7.jpg
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]BRNO in 257 Roberts
A question on the Oberndorf sporters: Were they equipped with that blasted barleycorn front sight?
ummm, number 2, please.

This thread is killing me--after seeing Chetaf's, I guess the 257 VZ33 is going to have to shed its synthetic and go wood...
Originally Posted by TC1
Here is a really neat custom built from second's and worn out parts. Legacy commercial M98 action with integral mounts and SunnyHill rings. I bought this when Legacy closed them out. The blank was a Luxus second and the barrel was a worn out "guild" barrel 1/2 octagon 1/2 round with a full integral rib. After re-bore it's now a .338-06
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

Even with all them junk and wore out parts you still have probly 50 to 75 dollars in it. So I'll give you one chance to double your money. whistle
General observation that there are some very nice rifles shown in this thread!
Joe: The typical Oberndorf Mauser(OM) sporting rifle front sight was a dovetailed bead set on a ramp. There were exceptions. Production quite early in the century and also just after WWI sometimes did utilize the military style inverted �V� post sight. Such was also common on the Model �C� sporter, a competitively priced quasi-military style OM sporting model.

Below is a typical bead sight affixed to the barrel of this OM type "A" barreled action awaiting a suitable OM stock. Manufactured in 1930, it is in transition from the original 10.75x68 to the more popular and useful 404 Jeffery (10.75 x 73).

Attached picture R9-15U.jpg
Attached picture R9-28U.jpg
Attached picture R9-21U.jpg
Attached picture R9-17U.jpg
Here's opne that's kinda unique. It's a BRNO 21H from the shop of Paul Dressel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry
Originally Posted by iskra
General observation that there are some very nice rifles shown in this thread!
Joe: The typical Oberndorf Mauser(OM) sporting rifle front sight was a dovetailed bead set on a ramp. There were exceptions. Production quite early in the century and also just after WWI sometimes did utilize the military style inverted �V� post sight. Such was also common on the Model �C� sporter, a competitively priced quasi-military style OM sporting model.

Below is a typical bead sight affixed to the barrel of this OM type "A" barreled action awaiting a suitable OM stock. Manufactured in 1930, it is in transition from the original 10.75x68 to the more popular and useful 404 Jeffery (10.75 x 73).

Thanks, now the lust factor is even higher!! laugh
Thats beautiful
I am feeling sooooooooo inadequate! frown

That rifle is perfectamundo!

Isn't that the troof!
Originally Posted by TC1

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

Oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........................
Dang Terry, I never tire of seeing those rifles
Originally Posted by TC1

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

I wish you all would quit posting stuff like this.

I don't have the money for a Mauser project right now and all these great rifle pictures are driving me apeshitt. cry

Have a little mercy on a brother Rifle Looney.
Sorry, no mercy. Hehehehehehehe........

P.S. I can't build one either, so I'm in the same boat. eek
Sorry, no mercy. Hehehehehehehe........

P.S. I can't build one either, so I'm in the same boat. eek

Good. Misery loves company. grin
Have to say there are some absolutely gorgeous rifles on display in this thread.

Mine not so much, but it is functional and that's what I wanted. It was my first 600-yard clay pigeon shooter.

Interarms Mark X action, 6.5-06AI Krieger barrel, Timney trigger, Boyd stock, Burris FF-II 4.5-14x Ballistic Plex scope.

[Linked Image]

The dark black line in the center is the shadow of the 500-yard target boards. The lighter dark line above it is the shadow of the 600-yard boards.

[Linked Image]

This rifle has become the favorite of a couple daughters. They haven't mastered hitting clays at 600 but they consistently come very close. (Dumping the Ballistic Plex reticle for turrets, or zeroing one of the aim points at 600 would be a big help - interpolating between the lines is a bit iffy for clays.)
Any trees out There.
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz333/altai1977/DSC002881.jpg

Here are my 2 mauser 66's, both in 30-06.
I did file in the thumb cut on my Mk-X as I have found it helps for quick loading. Now if I could only find some stripper clips to fit a .532 rim !
I'd like to think that if Finn Aagaard were still with us, that he would be enjoying this thread along with the rest of us. smile
Hello,

These 3 are my Mausers:

1- A DWM Original Sporting Rifle. A 7x57 "Plezier" like Mauser that never went to South Africa but was bought here in Argentina by my Great-grandfather. Still in use...!

2- A 1935 Mauser originally 7,65x54 Mauser but now a 7x57. All military: Action, stock and a Steyr 1912 barrel.

In the next post, my most recent adquisition:

3- A FN-Akha .30-06. Almost un-used by the previous owners.

Regards.

PH

Attached picture SR93 1.JPG
Attached picture SR93 6.JPG
Attached picture SR93 4.JPG
Attached picture M35 7x57 1.JPG
Attached picture M35 7x57 2.JPG
This is the .30-06 FN-Akah

Attached picture PA300652r.jpg
Attached picture PA300663 rr.jpg
I like to think that Finn would be familiar with rifles like the two I built.

404 Jeffery on a 1950's FN Colombian

[Linked Image]

7x57 on a 1908 DWM Brazilian.

[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.
This is better than...well, it's pretty good!
My '96 in 6.5x55. Fun little gong rifle!

[Linked Image]

I have no pic's of them, but also have a Mark X in 458win,a '93 in 257 Roberts. I have a '98 action kicking around here somewhere also.
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
6.5x55 Swede
My Mauser's.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

>308 Win.

My Mauser's 2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
25-06
My Mauser's #3

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
30-06
My Mauser's #4

[Linked Image]
7X57
This thread is exactly what I've been looking for! I just received, for Christmas from my father, my late grandfather's 1895 Mauser sporterized in 243-a truly sentimental gift to receive. It's difficult to read the model number, possibly due to the rust that was removed when Flaig rebuilt it to 243, though I'm sure it says Model 50. I'm just impressed with how amazing everyone's rifles look..here's 2 different pics of mine:

[img]https://wowrnw.blu.livefilestore.co...DATXHLL/2013-01-01%2014.43.46.jpg?psid=1[/img]

Old Betsy

[Linked Image]

Should really take a new pic now that I got her finished...
An old thread from last year - missed it then but here is a commercial mauser I've had kicking around for a few years. The stock has quite a bit of drop in it and would probably work better with open sights, but my aging eyes do better with a scope:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My Turkington 7mm Rem. mag.
[Linked Image]

Top '43 M98 358 Norma, bottom CZ550 7x64

[Linked Image]

Mark X 7mm Mag. Bought late '90's new. Have only put one round through it.

[Linked Image]

Another Mark X (23") bbl is at the smithy. Was a 338-06 AI. Will come back 338 Win Mag.
My recently remodeled 7x57 Swede.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Love that armchair grin

Oh and nice rifle too...
Here's a few more...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
BRNO VZ-24 action
Douglas F.W. .270 Win.
1909 bottom metal
Leupold compact 3-9 with CDS, Conetrol mounts
Timney trigger
Wisner safety
[Linked Image]
BRNO VZ-24 action
M.R.C. #5 contour .458Win Mag
N.E.C.G 3 leaf rear sight
N.E.C.G banded front sight
Talley barrel band swivel
Timney trigger
[Linked Image]
1909 Argentine action
#1 contour Douglas 1/8 twist 23",
240WBY
Dakota safety
Timney trigger
S&K mounts, Leupold 6x36 LRD
[Linked Image]
G33/40 action
Douglas F.W. 21"
30-06
S&K mounts, Leupold 4x
Dakota safety
Timney trigger
Sunnyhill blind trigger guard
That's all great, but....who did that wonderful stock!?
[Linked Image]
BRNO VZ-24
#4 contour M.R.C. 20", 9.3x62
XS rear sight
N.E.C.G. banded front sight
Timney trigger
1909 bottom metal
Talley barrel band swivel
Bob,
I made a pattern stock then sent it off to be duplicated in English walnut, Dennis Olsen in Plains, Mt. turns the blanks for me. The G33/40 blank is from Preslicks in Chico, Ca.
Then I do the bedding, final shaping and finish work.
fubar,

Conetrols, or SK? (I see you have examples of both)

Also, the Argentine, and G33/40 stocks are exactly the same shape as I have on a 33/40, and a M48. Nothing has served to make the looks, asthectics, and function of a Mauser better.

Great thread, old or not. Almost enough to make me open a file-sharing account for pictures (almost).
Mako,
I prefer the S&K mounts over the Conetrols.
They are much easier to work with and lighter also.
And yes you should open a file-sharing account!
I would love to see your Mausers!
hmmmmmmmm

I don't doubt you a bit - but quite assure you I have the exact same shaped stocks on two rifles.

Then I do the bedding, final shaping and finish work.

To include checkering? I have two stocks I'm looking for checkering work to be done on. The quality of of work on your examples is simply outstanding - and what I'm in the market for.
I prefer the S&K mounts over the Conetrols.
They are much easier to work with and lighter also

Thanks for that.

My "dream" is to incorporate a peep on the rear base. Conetrols, and SK with their smooth, seemless rings just look sooooooooo clean, it's going to be one or the other on a project I've got started.

Talley of course has that system, but not for military Mausers (at least not if they still have the stripper clip slot.
Mako,
Who did your stock work?
My 1909 was the same pattern as the G33/40 with some subtle mods.
The G33/40 doesn't have the cheek piece the 1909 has.
Tim Smith-Lyon does my checkering.
He is a great guy to deal with and I highly recommend him!
[Linked Image]
The other side of the G33/40
Mako, maybe your guy copied me? ha ha
Sweet baby Jesus...those are some classy rifles Fubar! You and EdM have some serious eye candy. Very nice rifles! Thanks for sharing.
Mako,
Who did your stock work?

The 33/40 was done in the fifties, or sixties, and built by JK Cloward, in one of his Washington state shops. I've talked with him, and even sent pictures of the rifle to get confirmation. Without hesitation, he identifies the barreled action as one he put together, but but can't say with certainty that he did the stock.

The M48 was built by Fred Cianciolo, now of South Carolina. He however jobbed the stock out, and for the life of me, I don't remember to whom.

I've got a couple other really nice rifles, but bought 'em with unknown lineage.
maybe your guy copied me? ha ha

>chuckle'<

I'd agree, but I've got two of the same design, but built 50-years apart!
Glad you posted the closeup of 33/40. I much prefer the rear base of the SK, to that of Conetrol.
Mako,
They couldn't have copied me, I wasn't even born when your rifles were made? hmmm
I thought I was being original in my pattern? guess not.
And yes the SK bases are much more stylish.

32-20fan,
Thanks for the kind words, but my rifles dont compare to Edm's
his were done by pro's, mine were DIY in my garage.
Ed has exquisite taste in firearms!
A darned old 1898 30-40 Krag Carbine & 1891 DWM Argentine Mauser
[Linked Image]
fubar: Fabulously nice, alluring Mausers! wink
[Linked Image]
1909 Argentine
#3 Douglas .338Win mag. 22"
N.E.C.G. sights
Wisner safety
Bansner stock
Warne Q.D. scope mounts
2-7 Leupold
Belgium FN made Browning small ring Safari in .257 Roberts. One of approximately 25 made in that caliber. It's so rare that the caliber wasn't even listed in Browning catalog offerings during production years. Has Buehler mounts and has a vintage 2x7 Browning scope on it (not shown).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7X57
KR13,
That Mauser is amazing!
At first I thought Browning olypian? Then looked closer and
realized its a military Mauser, whats the story and specs?
Appears to have an octagon barrel with quarter rib?
Thanks for posting.
Here's a pic of the bottom metal. The rifle was built for me by my Grandfather. He did not do the engraving though. The name of the man who did escapes me at the moment. I never got the chance to talk to him about the rifle since he passed away while I was in the Army. It is a full rib on octagon to round barrel.It wears a Vari-X III scope. I am in no way shape or form a Mauser expert so I wont pretend to know too much more than that. The pics suck so I apologize for that. Maybe this weekend I can take some with a real camera.
Custom built by F. D. Wade of Phoenix AZ. Chambered for the 35 Wade Magnum. 23 inch barrel and Weaver 6X scope.
Andy

[Linked Image]
Coming up....Whitworth..

[Linked Image]

grin
This man favors a young Nick Nolte with a mustache.If that upsets you,sorry. wink
Originally Posted by shameless
Coming up....Whitworth..

grin
This man favors a young Nick Nolte with a mustache.If that upsets you,sorry. wink

Shameless: Whaddya mean?

It is Nick Nolte that will be upset at that comparison!

Sorry Ingwe... I could not let low-hanging fruit like that go by without picking it! wink

John
Here is a picture of the G33/40 Mauser in 7X57 I recently acquired at the prompting of fellow 'fire members. It's "build" was coordinated by the late Jim Wilkinson of the Rifle Ranch in Prescott, Arizona.

I'm still working on other leads to get additional information about the rifle's history. It apparently made at least one safari, to India.

Just put the Leupold M8 4X33 on it. Can't wait to shoot it!!!

m48 with shilen barrel

Attached picture m1.jpg
Attached picture GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
Originally Posted by lundtroller
Here is a picture of the G33/40 Mauser in 7X57 I recently acquired at the prompting of fellow 'fire members. It's "build" was coordinated by the late Jim Wilkinson of the Rifle Ranch in Prescott, Arizona.

I'm still working on other leads to get additional information about the rifle's history. It apparently made at least one safari, to India.

Just put the Leupold M8 4X33 on it. Can't wait to shoot it!!!

Gorgeous stock there. It's pleasing that who ever did the metal work didn't ruin the markings on the action.
Newest edition, courtesy of Rifle!

8x60s

[Linked Image]
This thread is the gift that keeps on giving! Thanks all for posting your gorgeous artwork. Keep-'em coming!
Originally Posted by sactoller

8x60s

[Linked Image]

Old mate, before you shoot that you may want to bed the action and seriously consider cross bolts as the 8x60 in the models 21/22 have a habit of splitting the tang and wrist.

Please bed it at the very least.

ps...you have great taste.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

21 7x57, ZG47 270, BSA 222.
Originally Posted by sactoller

8x60s

[Linked Image]

I so want a Brno 21/22 of some type.
The newest rescue..er project. Chrome trigger guard lol. Lucky I have an extra Interarms trigger guard. I just put the tim trigger on. Stock was not a bad grain, just needs to be thinned out.

I believe it is a small ring???. Says on top; 790/P.F.K./Warszawa/ 1926.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JSTUART
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

21 7x57, ZG47 270, BSA 222.

Oohh! NICE! wink
FN98 Mauser 257 Roberts

[Linked Image]
Ran across this thread and figured it deserves fresh air. My Husky 30-06, simple, trim and effective. Sure'd like to find one of those Timneys for it.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Ran across this thread and figured it deserves fresh air. My Husky 30-06, simple, trim and effective. Sure'd like to find one of those Timneys for it.

Can't help with Timney trigger, but in case you don't already know it (I suspect you do, because I have read a lot of your posts), these rifles often split stocks at the tang.

No big deal, glass bed the recoil lug, then relieve the tang a bit and you fix the only real Achilles heel these rifles have.

They are as common as dirt here in Sweden (surprise! smile ) but many have spit tangs.

One of these light rifles in 9.3 x 62 is a joy to hunt moose with, just not fun off the bench!

John
Originally Posted by jpb

Can't help with Timney trigger, but in case you don't already know it (I suspect you do, because I have read a lot of your posts), these rifles often split stocks at the tang.

No big deal, glass bed the recoil lug, then relieve the tang a bit and you fix the only real Achilles heel these rifles have.

They are as common as dirt here in Sweden (surprise! smile ) but many have spit tangs.

One of these light rifles in 9.3 x 62 is a joy to hunt moose with, just not fun off the bench!

John

Hey John, I know you have problems with your PM's and I hope you see this. I just wanted to let you know I still have your CZ bottom metal and I'm taking good care of it. Just let me know when and I'll send it on.

Terry
Originally Posted by TC1
Hey John, I know you have problems with your PM's and I hope you see this. I just wanted to let you know I still have your CZ bottom metal and I'm taking good care of it. Just let me know when and I'll send it on.

Terry

Terry,

Yes, apparently my last PM or two didn't reach you. Could you PM me your email and we can go that route?

I seem to be able to read PM's here (although I wonder how many I miss!) but sending them seems quite problematic (my envelope icon always flashes too!).

John
Sent. Post back and let me know if you got it or email me.

Terry
To put this thread back on track.

BRNO ZG-47 in .30-06 wink

[Linked Image]
And a czech scope as well?
Originally Posted by Northman
And a czech scope as well?

Yep, Meopta 6X with a #1 reticle. They go together like peanut butter and jelly grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks. When I got the rifle I read that information and took those steps you mention... That Husky 5000 HAD every appearence of being unfired when I got it last year. My interest in the Mauser is fairly new, I really like the trim lines of the stocks and trying to understand the particular variations and influence on other designs. Just got an Interarms Mark X, also 30-06, not much for photos besides the very nice bluing, but functional... We'll see where it leads. Years ago had a near mint 96 selected from a containerload imported by Kimber of Oregon in '95. It was a Carl Gustav, dated 1907, the year dad's dad's dad emigrated from there to here. Shouda kept that gem... Cheers.

Originally Posted by jpb

John
Thanks. When I got the rifle I read that information and took those steps you mention... That Husky 5000 HAD every appearence of being unfired when I got it last year. My interest in the Mauser is fairly new, I really like the trim lines of the stocks and trying to understand the particular variations and influence on other designs. Just got an Interarms Mark X, also 30-06, not much for photos besides the very nice bluing, but functional... We'll see where it leads. Years ago had a near mint 96 selected from a containerload imported by Kimber of Oregon in '95. It was a Carl Gustav, dated 1907, the year dad's dad's dad emigrated from there to here. Shouda kept that gem... Cheers.

Originally Posted by jpb

John

If I'm not mistaken the Husky 5000 uses the Husky 1640 action. A Timney M98 trigger will bolt right up to those. The safety lever will need to be re-bent to accomidate the tang cut out.

Here is my 1640 with a Timney in it. I ground off the safety cut out and had a Dakota M98 safety installed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry
Terry, that is an elegant little rifle you have.
A custom M98 243 with a heavy Douglas barrel built by a local gunsmith. Leupold M8 10X. It was built for a friend and mentor. He gave me his long guns just before he passed away.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
unfortunately I never seem to have sufficient money to get anything finished or stocked. From left to right. g/33.40, g/33.40, FN, Interarms Mark x Magnum for .375, and Model 98 FN Peruvian. Just few weeks ago gave away a 1909 Argentine to Woodhits, and have one more g/33.40 in a safe.

[Linked Image]

nice collection, Yep thats a seriosu addiction there 22WRF
Sako High Power .30/06. Currently it wears a FX-II 2.5 in Talleys

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FN 1948 .270 work in progress...

[Linked Image]

Terry, any preference between the Dakota safety and the Gentry?

So many great rifles here...

TC1. I'd love to find an original Timney HVA, missed out on this one a few months ago. I read your comment about using a Timney M98 by bending the safety to work with interest. Other posts about needing machining or different cocking pieces left me with doubts. Right now, it works as is, so no big worries. I definately want an option that retains the side safety. Love to see pictures of your stocks BTW, especially this one! I downloaded those years ago...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A few iterations of my first custom. Nothing much to look at but she shoots lights out and is a constant companion on hunts near home and out of state.

Czech Mauser
Adams & Bennet F35 tube, 24"
.257 Rob AI

It was blued w/ Dakota 3-position, butter knife knob, & Fajen Tupperware stock, but today has a Parker Hale bolt/trigger/safety in a Remington 798 take-off whose cheek piece rubbed through on my beard so I stained it walnut & refinished it w/ Brownells spray-on finish. It's Parkerized today also.

Killed in nearly every state I've ever hunted; it has killed in every state it's been hunted.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mine uses the original cocking piece. The only cutting that was done was accommodate the timing for the Dakota safety. Your only problem will be the safety lever.

That picture of the Mexican M98, I think I posted it a few pages back. That's some nice wood on that one. This thread is loaded up with some beautiful Mausers. I'm glad someone brought it back to life.
264 Safari

[Linked Image]

FN 06' Zeiss in Claws

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by TC1
This thread is loaded up with some beautiful Mausers. I'm glad someone brought it back to life.

For sure!

Here's an OH Elliot LR 7x57:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's my old gem complete with custom butt plate, grip cap and rear sight. JC Higgins M50

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not bad wood.

[Linked Image]

Here's the best part.

[Linked Image]
That's one snazzy grip cap!

Edit: A bit of searching shows it's an original. Cool.

Not sure what will become of that FN. The price was right so bought it on spec and will consider it's fate. A 20" full stock rifle in 7mm Mauser may be a thought.
Screw a WGRS to the bridge and go kill stuff. Killed my biggest buck with one of those on a ridge in Raleigh County WV. Great rifles, but the dang price keeps going up on 'em.

People complain about the trigger being pinned to the bottom metal, but I've had two with no issues.
Parker-Hale .308 Norma Mag (restocked)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Husqvarna Crown Grade .358 Norma Mag

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Husqvarna 46A 9.3x57

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Custom Mark X .376 Steyr

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not a traditional "CRF" Mauser, but a "Mauser" none the less, model 99 9.3x64 Brenneke

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That .308 NM looks interesting,have you killed any whitetail or bear with it?
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That .308 NM looks interesting,have you killed any whitetail or bear with it?

Killed one of my best bucks, for around here, with it in 1990. Need to get it out some this year for a couple hunts.
Does this one count ?
It does say Mauser on it !!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7x64
Sweet. cool

Splattermatic,yes it does.
Here is a favorite 30-06 in a DWM 1909 Argentino with a 22" octagon barrel and a fine stock.

[Linked Image]
Really,need more pics of the rifle to see the fine stock and octagon barrel.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Screw a WGRS to the bridge and go kill stuff. Killed my biggest buck with one of those on a ridge in Raleigh County WV. Great rifles, but the dang price keeps going up on 'em.

People complain about the trigger being pinned to the bottom metal, but I've had two with no issues.

Pappy, would that have been around the Pluto/Bragg area?

Thanks,
Bill
BRNO full stock 7x57

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I know this is a show me tread but anyone know the weight of a interarms Mark x in 308? It is total factory no mods with a wood stock and no iron sights. I cant seem to find any factory specs. Would have been built in 80s - early 90s. Its part of a group of firearms I am coming into. I wont be picking them up until November.
Old thread but some awesome looking mausers! They are my favorite bolt actions.

Here is my 270. I will be rewoking this rifle this year

[Linked Image]

Here is my 35 whelen

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Peator
BRNO full stock 7x57

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Peator, that one made my heart flutter a bit!
My Model 96 American 30-06; the rifle that goes on nearly every trip I take at least as backup:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

She likes 168 gr NBTs & Hunter:

[Linked Image]

Ironic; I keep building custom rifles but this one continues to be used A LOT.

It now wears an FXII 6x36mm LRD in TLWs.
Originally Posted by Billu
Old thread but some awesome looking mausers! They are my favorite bolt actions.

[Linked Image]

Here is my 35 whelen

[Linked Image]

Billu,

Great looking rifles, I especially like that 35 Whelen.

I see you are from Volant. I will be going to Greenville Pa to a high school graduation this week and plan to stop and fish the Neshannock Creek there at Volant. I have fished it a couple of times in the past and have always had a good time.
VA Hunter, Stop by and say hello smile.....I live directly across stream from the Orvis fly shop. My property line is actually mid stream of the Neshannock Creek.

The Whelen is my favorite rifle. A true custom work of art...that goes hunting smile
Billu,

You have a great piece of property and a great view. I hope to fish the creek Thursday and/or Friday morning depending on schedule.

The 35 Whelen is a favorite of mine. I had "Redneck" here at the fire build me one on a Win 70 Stainless action with PacNor barrel and it is one of my favorite rifles. I hope to turn it loose on a bear this fall.

[Linked Image]

In 2007 I built these two 243s on 1903 Turk Mausers [and spare parts in my Mauser junk yard] for a 14 year old girl I heard about that wanted one. Her father was fighting in Iraq at the time.

They came over, I met them, she picked the light weight one.
Originally Posted by Joe
Originally Posted by Peator
BRNO full stock 7x57

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Peator, that one made my heart flutter a bit!

No doubt. That's a beautiful example.
[Linked Image]

My one and only mauser. A campfire classifieds find. Yugo 48 in 8x57. Its actually a really good shooter. Running 195gr hornady at just over 2400fps with H4895.
Model 94 Swede

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Whitworth 7mm Rem. Mag.
The machining detail on that thing is amazing. Hate to think what duplicating that would cost these days.

Lucky you. Don't let RevMike see that puppy!
+1 Look at that...

[Linked Image]
I am down to three:

[Linked Image]

Top is a 280 AI custom by Frank Robinson.

Middle is a 240 PSP by Flaig's of Pittsburgh.

Bottom is a 6.5x284 custom, again by Frank Robinson.

donsm70
I loved Flaigs when they were around. Don't see shops like that anymore. Nice group of mausers there

Billu, don't go and get foolish with that fine rifle!
Originally Posted by Billu
I loved Flaigs when they were around. Don't see shops like that anymore. Nice group of mausers there

Thanks Bill,

I like your 270 too. Are you sure you want to redo it?

Don
Don,

I am sure about redoing the 270.....Lots of wood on that stock. To European for my taste. It will be even nicer when I get done with it smile
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
[Linked Image]

My one and only mauser. A campfire classifieds find. Yugo 48 in 8x57. Its actually a really good shooter. Running 195gr hornady at just over 2400fps with H4895.

So many nice Mausers but I like this one. Less is more.

kwg
Here's something. 1975 Interarms Mark X 30-06 wearing a Mauser scope - it's an Electro-Point! Just a dot and a horizontal line.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
There are some awesome rifles on theses pages. Wow ! Great to see.
Pictured are four that I have - not all full customs but all are pretty special to me.
Top is a semi-custom Voere in 9.3x62
Second is a Browning HiPower Safari rebarreled to 9.3x62
Third is a rare Sako L61 AV factory chambered in 9.3x62 (1979)
Bottom is a full custom on a LH Mauser 3000 in .338-06.
The stainless barrels are from Bob Jury in Red Deer, Alberta

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AO2o6OaKID18ZpQ&cid=D08C04E28AA4CED6&id=D08C04E28AA4CED6%21502&parId=D08C04E28AA4CED6%21501&o=OneUp
awesome rifle's keep them coming!!!!!
A definite departure from classic but one of the finest all around rifles I own. If I ever turn into a one gun hunter (very doubtful) this one would probably be my choice.

Higgins Model 50
.30-06 chrome lined barrel
McMillan Sako Compact stock
Timney trigger
O.D. Cerakote.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's rock solid and very accurate with factory ammo, the perfect caliber for a "do it all" rifle and the chrome lined bore is just a huge plus IMO.

Terry
Coming from one that aught to know, quite a testament for the JC Higgins M50.
That's a pretty good recommendation coming from a guy who's got more than a couple.

I hope to achieve similar utility at a somewhat lower price (and likely a heavier weight) with my 1948 .270. The barrel on that one is pretty beefy, so unless I decide it needs replacing, I'm stuck with the extra pounds.
Model 94 Swede

[Linked Image]

What stock is that? Is it a Richard's Microfit rollover Mannlicher? If so, what length, grade, species, and grip cap wood species?
Here's a FN Imperial Grade in 30-06 left to me by my late father in-law. He bought it a month before I was born in 1961 for $165. The Lyman 4x All American was another $54.50. A little later on it was restocked and re-chambered to .300Winmag. He was a lightly built man so the magnum was too much of a good thing. He later had it re-barreled by Brown Precision back to 30-06. [img:left][Linked Image][/img] [img:right][Linked Image][/img]
1957 FN Mauser action Weatherby in 300 Weatherby. 24" barrel and my "finalist" for my first elk hunt. With Barnes 180TTSxs of course..

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Model 94 Swede

[Linked Image]

What stock is that? Is it a Richard's Microfit rollover Mannlicher? If so, what length, grade, species, and grip cap wood species?

Yes on the Richards. Barrel is 18 inches. Exhibition grade claro. Grip cap is Zebra wood.
I purchased the blank around 93-94. Had enough meat for a palm swell.
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Model 94 Swede

[Linked Image]

Yes on the Richards. Barrel is 18 inches. Exhibition grade claro. Grip cap is Zebra wood.
I purchased the blank around 93-94. Had enough meat for a palm swell.

Thanks. Is that what the consider feather crotch or standard?
Most likely standard. I don't recall that option when I purchased the wood back then. IIRC, there was enough length on the wood to go up to a 22" barrel.
Thanks for the feedback.
Respectfully copied from the Gunsmithing forum...

Posted by Mr Lambert 7-7-16. Moved outside the quote box for clarity.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

RY his:

M98 STANDARD LENGTH ACTIONS

I am going to group different actions by length, ring diameter, and barrel shank diameter. The first group will be Type I, these are the "most standard" Mausers. Probably 75% or more of all Mausers produced after 1898 will fall into this category. I am not going to list every model, that would take a book of it's own, but if your particular model is not listed, comparing the dimensions will place it into the correct category. So here are the dimensions for

Type I:
Action OAL: 8.750
Recvr screws, center to center: 7.835
Bolt body length: 6.370
Magazine length: 3.315
Recvr ring dia: 1.410 large ring
Barrel shank dia: 1.100 large shank

Some of the models that fall into Type I are:
Chilean M1912, Steyr
GEW 98, various mfr's
Brazilian M1908/34, Brno
VZ24, 98/22, 98/29, Brno
M1908 Brazilian, DWM
M1909 Argentine, DWM
M24/30 Venezuelan, FN
M1935 Peruvian, FN
Standard Modell, Mauser Oberndorf
K98k, various mfr's

Remember that the above list is not all-inclusive, the truth is, MOST M98 Mausers fall into this category.

Type II, standard length, small ring, small shank
Recvr ring dia: 1.300 small ring
Barrel shank dia: .980 small shank

This is pretty much a Czechoslovakian design, the main members of this group are the VZ33 and the G33-40, a commercial version is the VZ47.

Type III, standard length, small ring, large shank
Recvr screws, center to center: 7,835

As you can see by comparing the receiver ring diameter and the barrel shank diameter, there is not a lot of meat left in this receiver! The main example is the Kar98, and for obvious reasons, it is not wise to rechamber these to a high pressure cartridge.

Type IV, standard length, small ring, small shank, long magazine.
Magazine length: 3.400
Barrel shank dia: .980 small shank

These are mainly commercial models, they are identical to Type II, with the exception of a longer magazine to handle 30-06 length cartridges. Main examples are the Husqvarna commercial action, and the Brno ZG47.

Type V, standard length, large ring, large shank, long magazine.
Magazine length: 3.400
Recvr ring dia: 1.410 large ring

This is a beefier version of the Type IV. It is typified by the late FN commercial actions.

M98 INTERMEDIATE LENGTH ACTIONS

This is actually a fairly small group of models, the amount of headaches these cause (when trying to find a part or stock) is way out of proportion to the number of models. Most of these will have some part of the action shortened to save weight. Starting off with Type VI:

Type VI, Oberndorf intermediate action
Bolt body length: 6.165
Magazine length: 3.115
Receiver ring dia: 1.410, large ring
Barrel shank dia: .980, small shank

I call this the Oberndorf intermediate action, as they are the only ones who produced it. Commonly encountered models include:
1903 Turk
1909 Peruvian
1935 Argentine
Oberndorf Commercial

The 1903 Turk and the 1909 Peruvian also share some other qualities. They both have a very high clip bridge, and a long curved arm on the ejector box that puts pressure on a stripper clip loaded into the receiver, holding it in place. The 1935 Argentine and the Oberndorf commercial action do not have this.
This type has a longer than normal receiver ring, and a longer than normal cocking piece, with a shorter than normal bolt body, hard to figure where the weight savings come in!
The Oberndorf commercial action was also available in a small ring version, all other dimensions identical.

Type VII, FN24 and Yugo actions
Action OAL: 8.500
Recvr screws, center to center: 7.620
Bolt body length: 6.115
Magazine length: 3.232
Recvr ring dia: 1.410, large ring
Barrel shank dia: 1.100, large shank

This is the FN M24 action, and the Yugoslavian M48 series. I call this group the Yugoslavian intermediate action. There is also a Type VIIA, FN24 Mexican, see below.

Type VIIA, FN24 Mexican
Bolt body length: 6.165
Magazine length: 3.232

I call the Type VIIA the Mexican large ring action. The only difference between the Type VII and VIIA is the length of the bolt body (0.050 difference).

Type VIII, small ring Mexican
Bolt body length: 6.080
Magazine length: 3.118
Recvr ring dia: 1.300, small ring

The Type VIII has the shortest bolt body in this group. Common models are the Mexican M1910, and M1936. Either one can be found manufactured by FN or Fabrica de Armas in Mexico City.

LONG AND SHORT ACTIONS

Now we are into the expensive stuff! The long actions and short actions are commercial only. The long actions are divided into 2 types, the "British" type and the French type. The British type are not necessarily made in England, but are usually chambered for British cartridges, such as the .416 Rigby or .404 Jeffery. The French type is even longer than the British type, but the French type is actually made in France.

Type IX, British Type, aka M98 long, aka Commercial Magnum
Action OAL: 9.150
Bolt body length: 6.770
Magazine length: 3.640/3.840

Type X, French Type, aka French Magnum, aka Brevex Magnum
Action OAL: 9.240
Recvr screws, center to center: 8.207
Bolt body length: 6.740
Magazine length: 3.900
Recvr ring dia: 1.500, X-large ring
Barrel shank dia: 1.141, X-large shank.

Notice that the French magnum is larger in every dimension than the British magnum, but the French bolt is shorter by .030"

Type XI, "True" short action, aka Commercial Kurz
Action OAL: 8.125
Recvr screws, center to center: 7.225
Bolt body length: 5.760
Magazine length: 2.725
Recvr ring dia: 1.300, small ring

These are very rare and expensive, and a collector's item on their own. Chambered for short cartridges such as the .250 Savage, they are so hard to come by that they are often made by cutting down a standard Type I M98 action. If you suspect you have one, look for a welded receiver just forward of the thumb cut. Bolts are usually welded just behind the aft end of the guide rib.

JC Higgins Model 50 with Lyman Perma Center in a G&H sidemount. Also has a Lyman 56 w/ Merit aperture which stores in the trapdoor in the butt plate. Has a dummy blank to slide in the Lyman sight base when the sight is stored in the butt stock. Has wrap around checkering and super grade type swivel bases. I like it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i129.photobucket.com/al...el%2050/wm_8380362_zpsuju1bo9i.jpg[/img]

Nice one. Never seen one checkered like that. Do you know if it was done at the same time as the buttplate was fitted?
Pappy from what I understand it was all done at the same time. I think it belonged to an old guy like I am now and I also think it was his one and only rifle. I kinda feel that way about it too now.

The only thing I don't like about it is the white line spacer on the pistol grip cap that came on these rifles. As soon as I find a nice steel one I will replace it.
I've got one or two of those in my box-o-junk. Never saw one like them on any other rifle.
Nothing new in the past couple of years?
I think I missed this one previously - here's a FN 98 in 270 Win. LOP is too long (easy fix) and stock has too much drop to work well with a scope but I love everything about it. I've been thinking a 8x57 with a good peep sight would be a fun rework of this.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Really like that stock JGray and would love to put that style on my Husqvarna.
Nice stick.

My FN came with a massive left-hand stock that's got some nice figure. Been thinking about getting a rasp and working it into something like yours. I put it in a B&C, but since it has a ramp up front, a peep would work. Have to make a front sight for that odd dovetail size though.
I have this old Iver Henriksen rifle built on a Husqvarna action. 25-06

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Big Bob and Little Bob. Big's on a commercial 98 action, 26" Shaw #3 contour for groundhogs. Little's om a 95 Chilean action, 2 1/2 contour Shaw at 23" for deer.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RevMike
Nothing new in the past couple of years?

As functional as my Mausers are they could never compete in the eye candy category.
I’ve enjoyed this thread and thought I would add. The gun with the red recoil pad is a German military M98 that I picked up as a barreled action on gunbroker. It was in rough shape but someone had added a 257Rob barrel and started to hinge the floor plate and weld on a new bolt handle. I finished all that, rust blued it all, drilled and tapped for a scope, and added a bold trigger. I ordered a walnut semi-inletted blank and did a lot of woodworking to finish it out. Pretty proud of that gun, a few mistakes here and there but all mine. The second is an Interarms Mark X 270 that I “accidentally” bought by throwing a low bid on a gunbroker auction. It is a factory gun except for the stock, it came with a custom stock that was bulky and somewhat benchrest style. I literally hogged wood off with a bandsaw and then rasp before finishing it out in more of a sporter style.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13010224/mausers
"Accidentally" is how I ended up with my current one. I threw a bid at it and got the email a few days later. Turned out to be a 1948 C-ring, not very common in my experience. Now, prices seem to be even lower. i saw a nice M51 Higgins with scope go for less than $500 recently. I just don't need any more, but I still look, and drool.
Mark X in 358 Win. Cerakoted green & gold

[Linked Image]

Newton 1st Model 4 digit SN

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just got this one. I haven't ever been a real fan of Mausers, but I couldn't pass this one up in 257 Roberts...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My Walther Model B's, a 7x57 on the left and an 8x57 on the right.

[Linked Image]

The 7x57 is now my youngest sons rifle.

[Linked Image]

My FN 9.3x62.

[Linked Image]

My FN 30-06.

[Linked Image]

My Swede 7x57.

[Linked Image]

My Erfurt 8x57.

[Linked Image]
Love this thread. A picture of a custom Mexican Mauser on this thread several years ago cemented my decision to find one for myself. I've always liked them.

I found the Mexican 1936 below that had spent some time with "Bubba the gun crank". It had a bad bore, screwed up bedding, next to no finish, and a poorly shaped stock. The good things were: the stock had incredible wood and there was plenty of it, the work done on the action was good, and it was slick as a ribbon, The best thing was the price wasn't terrible.

I had Pac Nor re barrel the action in 7mm Mauser and had the stock bedded and re shaped by a real gunsmith. It will never be a fine custom rifle, but with a little checkering, I think it will look good from about 10 feet and that suits me fine. At least it will hold its own with most of my other hunting rifles, as it easily shoots into an inch with factory ammo.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire