Home
I've read several folks using the 155 scenar in their .308s for hunting purposes. Seems like a great little bullet, but apprehensive about using a "target" bullet for hunting purposes. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of using this bullet on actual game. I would mainly be using this on dall sheep, deer, and caribou.
155 scenar out of my .30-06 at about 140 yards....seems to work ok.

[Linked Image]
Get in touch with scenarshooter here at the Campfire.

Pat has killed a bunch of big critters with the 155 scenar and can give you all the good info.
I have very limited experience with it but gave it a go in my 300 WSM after chatting with Scenar about it. They shoot into tiny lil bug holes in my light weight .300 and last fall I took a elk in the timber and a whitey buck up close and it did quite fine on both of those.

For what you're thinking I'd sure not shy away from them. Heck I can't think of much I'd not use them on.

I'd say light the torch to them!

Dober
http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4977783/3

Due to evidence in the above link... they'll never work, results are iffy at best grin
I killed an elk with the 155 Scenar out of a custom 30-06 last year. 388yard high shoulder shot, elk dropped at the spot and there was a very nice exit hole. I have a GAP rifle in 308 that should arrive soon and I plan to use that bullet exclusively out of it. Darn fine bullet, and as Dober says, is super easy to shoot bugholes with them.
How come it is Scenar and Berger "match" bullets are okay for hunting, but Sierra "match" bullets (SMK's) are often scorned?...
Originally Posted by sactoller
155 scenar out of my .30-06 at about 140 yards....seems to work ok.

[Linked Image]

Are you sure you hit him?

grin
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
How come it is Scenar and Berger "match" bullets are okay for hunting, but Sierra "match" bullets (SMK's) are often scorned?...

Ive taken a bunch of deer with smk's . It is simply beyond the realm of physics to believe that flesh and bone would be impervious to metal.End of story.
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Pat has killed a bunch of big critters with the 155 scenar and can give you all the good info.

I'm hoping Pat chimes in with some good pics and data like he usually does. It really seems to get the job done for him. I've actually been interested in the combo too. I was going to give up on the 308 win a while back but after getting a new rifle today, maybe I'll change my mind..... whistle
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I have very limited experience with it but gave it a go in my 300 WSM after chatting with Scenar about it. They shoot into tiny lil bug holes in my light weight .300 and last fall I took a elk in the timber and a whitey buck up close and it did quite fine on both of those.

For what you're thinking I'd sure not shy away from them. Heck I can't think of much I'd not use them on.

Dober

I didn't know you shot an elk with one last season......I guess I better pay more attention.... blush
Thanks guys I'll order some up. Pretty sure I won't use em on grizzlies but if they shoot good I might even use em on moose
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Thanks guys I'll order some up. Pretty sure I won't use me on grizzlies but if they shoot good I might even use em on moose

Let us know how they work for you....
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Post mortem description please!
BSA-

A new 308?? Do tell...
I would not use a 155 Scenar for anything but targets. I have no experience with them on game so I am qualified to make the aforementioned statement thanks to the school of JO et al.
Originally Posted by tdn
BSA-

A new 308?? Do tell...

Hi tdn, it's not like your new FN made stainless/walnut you had for sale a while back that I should have bought blush. I ran across this pre 64 fwt yesterday so I had to snag it...:

[Linked Image]

I had the opportunity to buy it a year ago but for much more than I paid yesterday. The guy finally went down to a more reasonable amount whistle. It's one of those rifles where it kind of haunts you because you think about it off and on and then it comes back around for less money and then you jump on it.....$400.00 less as a matter of fact blush. It also came with a cool retro scope and buehler windage/elevation adjustable base which I took off the rifle and am selling on ebay right now....
Very cool - nice snag!

The few times I have willed myself to pass on a rifle - it seems it only comes back up for sale at a higher price...
Well done.
That'd be the bees knees to turn a pre 64 into a mid long range tack driver. A Leupy with Target turrets up top would look perfect IMO.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'm hoping Pat chimes in with some good pics and data like he usually does. It really seems to get the job done for him. I've actually been interested in the combo too. I was going to give up on the 308 win a while back but after getting a new rifle today, maybe I'll change my mind..... whistle

I happen to have a few pics of 155 scenar kills laying around here somewhere....grin!

Varget is my go to powder in the .308 for the 155's. I've shot them in seven different .308's and they seem to be "jump friendly" in all of them, and that to me is always a good thing for a rifle going to the field. Use a 2.800" coal and rock on. I think the jackets are prety hard and they seem to dig deep, while still opening up enough to damage the boiler room...some of the kills I've made with them are 500 to 600 meters and they still expanded, leaving 1" to 2" exit holes on black bears, buck mule deer and bull elk.
[Linked Image]

My bud, Greenhorn with a large boar black bear I killed in Wyoming at 530 meters with my lightweight .308 and one 155gr scenar. It was a broadside rib shot. He watched with his spotter while I shot. The bear ran about 40 meters before piling up.
[Linked Image]

Another large, old boar I killed the same spring here in Montana. This one was 450 meters, same rifle and load, same type of shot and same result.
Awesome pics Pat... Post some in the "Is it too early" thread too!

What's coating on the action/bbl of that 308?
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
My bud, Greenhorn with a large boar black bear I killed in Wyoming at 530 meters with my lightweight .308 and one 155gr scenar.

Scenarshooter, if you don't mind me asking, what's your lightweight .308 build?
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I happen to have a few pics of 155 scenar kills laying around here somewhere....grin!

Varget is my go to powder in the .308 for the 155's. I've shot them in seven different .308's and they seem to be "jump friendly" in all of them, and that to me is always a good thing for a rifle going to the field. Use a 2.800" coal and rock on. I think the jackets are prety hard and they seem to dig deep, while still opening up enough to damage the boiler room...some of the kills I've made with them are 500 to 600 meters and they still expanded, leaving 1" to 2" exit holes on black bears, buck mule deer and bull elk.

I'm definately going to make note of that....
Originally Posted by smokepole
My bud, Greenhorn with a large boar black bear I killed in Wyoming at 530 meters with my lightweight .308 and one 155gr scenar.

GA Precision built R700 short action
Rock #3,1-11" 5R 24"
Mcmillan Hunters EDGE stock
Badger M4 bottom
10X42 S&B PMII
Talley LW Lows, 30MM
Cerro'ed OD green

Originally Posted by smokepole

GA Precision built R700 short action
Rock #3,1-11" 5R 24"
Mcmillan Hunters EDGE stock
Badger M4 bottom
10X42 S&B PMII
Talley LW Lows, 30MM
Cerro'ed OD green

Nice build. No wonder it shoots... cool

Another good .308 powder is H4895.

DF
Nice....thanks.
In the science of ballistics any bullet with a solid base and a hollow point driven at high speed will expand on impact.
It doesn't matter if its a hunting or target bullet, once you squeeze the trigger physics then takes over.
Do all Scenars seem to have a similar performance window, or is it only confirmed on the 155 in .308.
Originally Posted by mrbeadyeye
In the science of ballistics any bullet with a solid base and a hollow point driven at high speed will expand on impact.
It doesn't matter if its a hunting or target bullet, once you squeeze the trigger physics then takes over.

Bergers and a TSX both have a solid base (yes one cup and core and one mono) and hollow point but seem to react a touch different when they hit meat.
All I know is the 155 Scenar does well in my 300 shorty mag on yotes to elk. And rockchucks totally and I mean totally hate them.

I've been loading over the winter as I've several ranches with chuck issues that I'm on call to help out with...nothing like shooting a couple hundred chucks at long range in the summer to get ready for elks... cool

Dober
Dang Dober, that sounds a little tough on the wallet smile
Please tell me they have rockchucks towards Billings...

Does the 155 Scenar still have a long jacket protruding over a somewhat flat pointed core? I recall seeing a sectioned one some time back and there was no real "hollow point" just an extruded jacket pulled over a core that had a fairly large meplat (at least for a rifle projectile). Im thinking that might contribute to the consistent performance.
Found it, not my image and I dont know if this is the current design or not.
[Linked Image]
Boy, that sounds like tough duty..ranches with chuck problems.

I DO have experience, should that help on my job application..
Thinking that I have fairly good job security, best summer so far is 457 or something like that.... wink

Dober
Cut my then-young teeth on their cousins, the woodchuck, up in my neck of da woods.
250-3000 was big medicine, K2.5 Weaver post and crosshair as an aiming device.
Dober,

What load are you running for the scenar in the wsm? I run them in my 30-06 titanium over H4350 and they shoot well. Might have to spin a few in the new wsm.

Bb

BB-R17 perks really well in my rig. 67 is what I normally use. I have gone up to 70 with the 155 but that was a bit....warm.

I could easily go to 68 maybe 69 but in all honesty with the way the thing shoots at 67 to 67.5 and the fact that I run a M1 on top I see no reason to dick with it.

The 150 Horn sp and the 155 Hybrid shoot incredibly well also.

Dober
I've been thinking about switching to the 155 scenar myself. However, I'll never totally get rid of my 150 hornady sp's though...
I have a hundred coming. I’m gonna try them, got them in a bullet lot I bought or trade them.
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a hundred coming. I’m gonna try them, got them in a bullet lot I bought or trade them.

Just out of curiosity how did you manage to reply to a thread this old?
I googled. How good are 155 Scenars and Campfire Forums.
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Just out of curiosity how did you manage to reply to a thread this old?

Old folks is coool like that..

smile

Yup.

Hope they shoot in the new M12. I bought 200 of them loaded in Lapua brass.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Yup.

Hope they shoot in the new M12. I bought 200 of them loaded in Lapua brass.

I bet they shoot well! I enjoy old threads. I try not to rejuvenate too many, but every once in a while I will. I like to see who is still posting. There are interesting comments sometimes too.

Going way back, I'll share my experience on target more than game. The scenar's shot very well. I bought 750 of them on the cheap because they were moly coated. I used vinegar to remove the moly coating, if I remember right. Back then, I messed around with about 4 different 308's and then later sold every damn one of them. Just never quite warmed up to the little short bastid. Growing up with the 30-06 does that to a guy, I guess. Back when I first replied to this thread, I had just bought my first 308 win. I kept it around for about a year. Used it and liked it, but another guy needed it more than I did. I sold it for $400.00 more than I paid for it. I then ended up with a FN BACO featherweight that was a damn good shooter after glass bedding and ernie the gunsmith trigger spring, then I ended up with a beautiful stainless Ruger all weather that I put into a walnut stock, and lastly a Winchester model 100. I think the last straw was when the model 100 charging handle broke into 2 pieces. I sold all of the 308 rifles I had and figured I'd never buy another. Then 3 years ago I got on an AR kick and decided to try an AR10. That rifle is actually fun as hell to shoot and damn accurate. Now last weekend I picked up a Tikka T3 with bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40 for $549.99. Couldn't pass up that deal. As for the 308 win, I'd not go into buying one thinking it is the equal to the grand ol 30-06, like some here think, because it just isn't. Pat has proven that it is a fine and dandy killer with those 155 scenar's, but like I said long ago, I'd not give up those 150gr Hornady SP interlocks. Try those scenar's, they will likely be accurate. In a 308win, they like to be ran around 2,800 fps, but I wouldn't guarantee ragged hole accuracy as the norm. It just didn't happen for me with all the 308's I had at the time. I actually got better accuracy with the 150gr hornadies.. Now hornady has the ELDX, so you know which way I'm leaning...
Lapua has discontinued the 308 155 scenar and replaced it with the scenar L

Originally Posted by snowchaser61
Lapua has discontinued the 308 155 scenar and replaced it with the scenar L

I call BS . . .
From Lapua’s website

Superior accuracy with the Lapua Scenar bullet
The Lapua Scenar bullets are the first choice for superior accuracy. The Scenar is an open tip match bullet with a boat tail design, perfect for competetive shooting in a multitude of events. This competition projectile has a superb track record at mid-range and long range rifle matches and bench rest shooting at an international level. The Scenar bullet comes in a vast selection of calibers.

The .30 cal GB491 10 g/155 gr Scenar bullet is no longer in active production, it has been replaced with the .30 GB522 10,0 g / 155 gr OTM Scenar-L bullet.
More info:

Scenar-L – the ultimate long range match bullet
Lapua’s Scenar-L bullet is the result of decades of experience and state of the art manufacturing capabilities combined with extensive testing. The Scenar-L has the refined qualities of the original Scenar bullet with higher standards of jacket wall concentricity, weight variation and dimensional uniformity. Scenar-L has truly earned its reputation as the go-to bullet for the best possible results in long range rifle shooting. For top shooters in the world in benchrest, long range or F-class, Scenar-L is the ultimate match bullet, proven by the countless long range records set using it.
The “L” might be okay, I’ve never used them.
I guess, that’s a bullet I need to try.

No problem.
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I've read several folks using the 155 scenar in their .308s for hunting purposes. Seems like a great little bullet, but apprehensive about using a "target" bullet for hunting purposes. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of using this bullet on actual game. I would mainly be using this on dall sheep, deer, and caribou.

What would the Scenar do for you that a bullet designed for hunting wouldn't do?
A .460 BC at 2900 fps with superb accuracy.

John
At 2900 it’s close to .5 than .460 IIRC.

hanco, you make me laugh at times.................

I stand corrected on the discontinued (tho not really the same as out of production) issue.

Good thing I just picked up 200 of 'em a couple of weeks ago from Powder Valley
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

And what does that do for me over this?

Caliber30 Cal
TypeTTSX BT
Weight168
Diameter.308
S.D.0.253
B.C.0.47
Twist Rate1:11" or Faster
Length1.406
Box QTY50
Catalog #30370
Originally Posted by Kenneth

hanco, you make me laugh at times.................

Wifey says that’s the reason she keeps me around, that and I take her dancing, damn, got to take her Saturday night. She loves it.
Originally Posted by EdM

John

Caliber30 Cal
TypeTTSX BT
Weight168
Diameter.308
S.D.0.253
B.C.0.47
Length1.406
Box QTY50
Catalog #30370

BC is very close. Can you push that bullet at 2900 or faster? If not, it will drift more in the wind and not shoot as flat.

John
Originally Posted by EdM

John

Caliber30 Cal
TypeTTSX BT
Weight168
Diameter.308
S.D.0.253
B.C.0.47
Length1.406
Box QTY50
Catalog #30370

Well good grief how many things can you ask that same question about? I don’t think this was a thread claiming it was the best or only good bullet. These guys are just saying it’s a good one.
Actually this was a thread started almost 9 years ago that Hanco bumped just so he could say he was getting some of them.
My 308’s run 2900 fps with the 155 Scenar. It has been one shot kills on some Jimmy Dean grade hogs for a couple of years. They run 3285 in my 300 WSM.
I’m gonna try them when I get them in my hands. Anybody have some large rifle magnum primers. I’ll trade the old worn out Wifey for a hundred.

They are well thought of, nobody bashing them. I’ll
try them on some piggies. They are good for bullet testing.
Originally Posted by EdM

John

Caliber30 Cal
TypeTTSX BT
Weight168
Diameter.308
S.D.0.253
B.C.0.47
Length1.406
Box QTY50
Catalog #30370

BC is very close. Can you push that bullet at 2900 or faster? If not, it will drift more in the wind and not shoot as flat.

John

Not only that, but at .308 velocities and longer distances it'll upset more reliably than a 168 Barnes. I've seen the 168 fail to open inside 100 yards out of a .308.
© 24hourcampfire