Home
Is this the same barrel profile as the older MR? The long and short actions are both listed as 6.5 lbs.Any ideas on actual variation?

Can anyone tell me what one in a short action would weigh in an Edge?

I have been saving for a Kimber Montana but am tempted by these just because it might be light enough,without being too light and the options available for the 700.If they would make it in a 260 I might be pushed over the edge.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

If they would make it in a 260 I might be pushed over the edge.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that one..

Personally, I'd grab a .280, and AI the chit out of it..
I want to see what the actual price is going to be on them. If they are under a grand I will get a 7-08. If not I'll build my own.
Originally Posted by wareagle
I want to see what the actual price is going to be on them. If they are under a grand I will get a 7-08. If not I'll build my own.

I am curious as well. I also would like to shoulder the m70 featherweight in 7mm/08
Also, WDE wareagle
Just to have three in a row!! smile
I might get one in 308 or 30-06
They are priced right around $920. Same old SS Mtn rifle in a Bell & Carlson stock.
They'd be extra-cool if they would put the XCR TriNyte coating on them. That coating is good stuff.
Too bad they wouldn't take the pound back off them. Why they would bugger up the old "mountain guide" is beyond me. 5 1/2 was so easy, why 6 1/2?
People don't like/buy ADL's?

Rem can't have the OEM TI handle made for a reasonable price?

They're stupid?
Originally Posted by RickF
Too bad they wouldn't take the pound back off them. Why they would bugger up the old "mountain guide" is beyond me. 5 1/2 was so easy, why 6 1/2?

I don't know the history.Were the older ones only 5-1/2 lbs? That seems very light.I thought only NULA's and Montanas were ever that light. Where did the extra weight come from? If it is all in the stock,would an Edge make it lighter by a pound?
Hinged floor plate, heavier contour barrel.
As far as I know it's the same barrel contour, but I don't think it is exactly the same stock. B&C added an aluminum chassis to stiffen it vs. first generation which had no aluminum other than pillars.

ADL or BDL makes virtually no difference, so adding the floorplate means zilch for weight.
I got my new Rem catalog and it looks like they did away with the Mtn LSS. The only difference between the two is the new Rem Mtn SS is in a B&C mountain rifle stock.
Guess I'm dense; how can more metal not mean more weight?
You are making the huge assumption that anything on that floorplate assembly is metal/steel. wink
I had a SS 30-06 MR that was fitted to a Mcmillan Mountain rifle edge and it had a PT&G floorplate assembly. It weighed 5 lbs 10 ounces.
My 7-08 Mountain Guide weighed 5-14 nekkid
I'm still wishin' they'd bring back the "Guide" series. That sure was a simple way to a great gun. Dumbly, I only picked up one blued one at the time, thinking that they knew they hit a home run and would keep on swinging that direction. Alas, Remington cannot save themselves if they tried.
A couple years ago I bought an LSS 7mm-08 and dumped the laminate stock. Bought a first generation Ti stock from Stocky's with the 1" decelerator. Put the two together and had a GREAT little rifle.

And apparently too complicated for Remington to figure out...
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Would the Mountain Guide have the same action and barrel profile as the new Mountain SS? I would be very interested if I could swap the new models stock to an Edge and have aprox that weight.I could live with a 7-08.
A couple years ago I bought an LSS 7mm-08 and dumped the laminate stock. Bought a first generation Ti stock from Stocky's with the 1" decelerator. Put the two together and had a GREAT little rifle.

It makes you wonder, I have a Guide version SS in .308. How Big Green would no longer offer these rifles is beyond my thinking. If ever there was a "no brainer"......
Yup. Come to think of it, I bought the first one about 5 years ago that someone else has already done. But that 7mm-08 had a bum barrel so it didn't stay long.

This latest one will go way under an inch.

Not exactly rocket science to put those two pieces together...is it? wink

Would the Mountain Guide have the same action and barrel profile as the new Mountain SS? I would be very interested if I could swap the new models stock to an Edge and have aprox that weight.I could live with a 7-08.

I'd reckon so, it's their standard MR build with a different stock.

Same / Same as an LSS dumped into a Ti take-off.

Take the new version, go ADL in an EDGE and youd be a few ounces lighter than 5-14.

I'd reckon so, it's their standard MR build with a different stock.

Same / Same as an LSS dumped into a Ti take-off.

Take the new version, go ADL in an EDGE and youd be a few ounces lighter than 5-14.

It's a tough decision between the new Mountain SS and a new Montana.The Montana has a great stock but if the Remington comes in about $900 there wouldn't be much price difference between it and the Montana to put it in an edge,after you had sold the B&C stock.

All the options offered for the Rem 700 make it very attractive.

I guess I'll have to wait and hear some reports of the quality and availability of the new Mountain SS.
Just an FYI on the Mtn SS, I just stopped in 2 gunshops, they both checked their distributors to see if any of these are out there and their search shows zero available.

So I'm guessing they aren't being shipped yet, they did say the price would be around $939 once they can get them.

Yep, mine weighs 6 lbs 12 oz with talley LW lows and a VXIII2.5-8.
I called the Remington customer service line and they are now saying early 3rd quarter before any are shipped............Hb
Smart corporate move.. They want to give themselves enough time to [bleep] something completely up.
Same reason they don't revamp the 541 with a real magazine. They are dipschitts... Thing would sell like mad.
When I called their customer service I was told that it would go into production in March and should start showing up in stores sometime in mid to late April. I guess it all depends on who you talk to.

Jeff
None shown in stock but Bud's currently has the price listed at $864 and "Price is subject to change".

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...d/79970/Remington+700+MOUNTAIN+SS+BC+280

Jeff
Originally Posted by sneekee
When I called their customer service I was told that it would go into production in March and should start showing up in stores sometime in mid to late April. I guess it all depends on who you talk to.

Jeff
Jeff, they told me the same March production date and show up at distributors by April when I called them at the first of the year, call them back now and see what they say.................Hb
anybody see any in stores yet?
I haven't. In the last three days, I've been to Cabela's, Wholesale Sports, and two local gun shops. I've checked the major auction sites and called a few stores that have large online presence (Bud's, East County Guns, etc.)

Nobody has seen one.
I just got back from a local gunshop - they checked their whole-saler and no go.
I sure do like my 700 LSS Mountain Rifle 30/06 with its "heavy" laminated stock...the stock on mine seems pretty slender, trim and light especially when compared to those R-P put on their laminated ADL's. It carries easily enough at 10k' even for a 61 yr old.
22" 308 Mtn Guide SS dropped in an ADL Ti takeoff, Talleywackers with Leupy M8 6x42 + Butler Creeks, 6lbs 8oz. grin

[Linked Image]
Wow! That stock by itself must weigh close to nuth'n.
I checked my local dealer again today and now they're reporting late summer. Price has gone up to 1000.00+tax.
Im pretty certain I can buy a donor action,custom tube, and stock of my choice for only a couple of hundred more.
Starting with the bolt faced and squared I'd probably be ahead of the game. I aint waiting on them when I can [bleep] it up all on my own................ But then again my warranty isn't much to write home about.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I sure do like my 700 LSS Mountain Rifle 30/06 with its "heavy" laminated stock...the stock on mine seems pretty slender, trim and light especially when compared to those R-P put on their laminated ADL's. It carries easily enough at 10k' even for a 61 yr old.

Those stocks feel GREAT-- both the long and short action version-- but are seriously butt-heavy with a MR profile barrel. A reasonably handy person can hollow a lot of weight out of that butt. With the balance thus adjusted, they are much more lively feeling, and lighter.

Stock from Remington those LSS's feel a bit like a Weeble to me... those things that wobble, but don't fall down.

... and that's to ME. I'd not presume to tell another man what is "best" in terms of stock feel. smile

still cant decide on 308 or 30-06 have some time since no local stores have any in stock
Originally Posted by oregontripper
22" 308 Mtn Guide SS dropped in an ADL Ti takeoff, Talleywackers with Leupy M8 6x42 + Butler Creeks, 6lbs 8oz. grin

Why did you have to drop it in a Ti take-off? The Mountain Guides already came in a Ti take off from the get go.

And there's LOTS of other rifles I'd rather by than a plain jane 1000.00 Remington. Think they're pricing themselves out of most peoples budgets.
Cal74
Is there another stainless package becides a kimber that is as light?
Cal74
Is there another stainless package becides a kimber that is as light?

Far from the expert, but I believe these new Remingtons are quoted around 6.5 lbs from the factory. The Mtn. Guides ran a little under 6 lbs and what is the Kimber, something like 5.5 for the 84L, 5.25 for the standard? Someone correct me if I'm off

I'd rather spend the extra hundred and save 1+ lbs on what's intended to be a light weight rifle.

The kimber is lighter but I think you are taking more of a chance on getting one that will shoot with the Kimber, overall I think the Remington Mountain SS will be the better rifle with a lesser possibility of having issues.....................Hb
I don't own a Kimber and just finally shouldered a nice 84L this past weekend, but I don't think there's been anyone on here having any accuracy complaints from anything produced the last year or so?
Between a Montana and the new Rem it might be about as much a chance that either would shoot well.Seems Kimber is better fixing a bad shooter.There are more options with the Rem.

I've been debating both for a while but I'm still saving money anyway so I'll decide by the time I have the scratch.It would help a lot though to hear some reports on the new Mountain Rem.
Originally Posted by cal74
but I don't think there's been anyone on here having any accuracy complaints from anything produced the last year or so?
My buddy bought a new Montana in 7mm.08 in January of this year and it is now back at the factory account of it's a non-shootin SOB, I will say in the pitifully shooting rifles defense that it did function perfectly, though you couldn't get better than a 4" group out of it at 100 yds grin....................Hb
VaHillbilly
Please let us know what Kimber does and how the rifle shoots after your friend gets it back.How long has it been gone?

I've heard stories of poor accuracy from Remington as well and most of them end with Rem saying they shoot to their expectations with nothing done for the customer.
He sent the rifle back to Kimber in late February (I think) I will post as to how it works out for him, I hope it has a happy ending as buying this rifle was a very big deal for him, he saved a long time to buy it and doesn't buy many new rifles, he might buy a new rifle every five years or so, (he's not in the rifle of the month club like me) If this would have happened to Me I would have shrugged it off as some bad luck and went on with My life but he is crushed, maybe Kimber will get the thing to shoot ragged holes at 100 yds, I hope so...You are right about Remington, the few I know of that didn't shoot (very few) one came back a "Tack driver" Remington 700 Alaskan Ti .270 Win. but the other a Model Seven .300 WSM didn't shoot any better than when I sent it off 1.5"- 2.0" groups, it came back with a note that said it shot within the parameters of Remington specs............Hb
FYI, it appears at least a few of the new Mtn SS are out there, I found one in .308 listed on GB so I emailed to confirm they actually had it or where taking orders only. Per reply they have it and would ship it in 4 days, price is a little high but again looks like they are starting to be out there.
Good luck finding one:)
Thanks,I would love to see a review when you get a chance.
From what I have found out today, it appears only the .308 is out and for sale, I've found them at various outlets - nothing here local though so I have yet to see one but it appears they are in production:)
anyone see any in stores yet?
7-08 was listed at Buds as in stock
I've seen a few 7mm-08's on gunbroker, but that's it. If I find one locally in the next two years in 7mm-08, I'll probably pick one up. I am liking it over the CDL.
I would like to take one out and shoot it as they do look really nice. Maybe next year...
Just noticed there is now a 30 06 listed on Gunbroker which means that they now have long actions out, maybe the 280 will be out soon?? Still haven't seen any in the store here local but sure would like to see one.
I saw that and it tempts me bad, but if it's the B&C stock I think it is I don't think I'd like it as the B&C Alaskan Ti stock was pretty thick in the wrist for Me not slim and sleek like I prefer...................Hb
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

If they would make it in a 260 I might be pushed over the edge.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that one..

Personally, I'd grab a .280, and AI the chit out of it..

+1
Went on buds they got a 30-06 if i remember right for $850 good looking gun 22 inch barrel
Im gonna hold out for a 280 or 25-06.

I just sold a TI to a guy who did that exact same thing. He loves it!

Originally Posted by SuperCub

I just sold a TI to a guy who did that exact same thing. He loves it!

It's a perfect case study on the effects stock fit and weight distribution. Add me to the list of folks baffled as to why the old style Ti stock needed improving...
© 24hourcampfire