Home
Have you guys ever had an itch for a rifle/cartridge combo that you couldn't help but scratch regardless of how it fit into your "battery" or how redundant it is?

I have two itches right now that I really want to scratch but I have no practical use for them. They won't do anything that I can already do with what I have. Yet, I'm still not satisfied.

I should just quit looking on the computer. I've been at home sick for a week and all sorts of stupid ideas are crawling into my head.
Yep. Everything from the .22 Hornet up through the .22-250.
Yup Dan,

I keep thinking I need/want/need a 6.5x55.
Maybe in a Remington Classic:)
I need a Ruger Hawkeye in 257 Roberts.

I also need to rebarrel an M70 Featherweight into 7x57.

I know the 243 and 25-06 are both better in their own way compared to the Bob. I know the 7mm-08 is essentially a shorter and more efficient 7x57.

I JUST DON'T CARE!
Your desire will follow your attention.If you don't need to spend the money,just put your attention on something else.If the money doesn't matter so much,just enjoy yourself.
Yeah, I should just put my mind on something else like losing weight or inventing a longer lasting lightbulb or something.

Maybe if I picked up a Hawkeye in 257 Bob, I'll be so happy to hit the hills that I'll hike the weight off!
I know what you mean about weight.The more I think about dieting the hungrier I get.
Originally Posted by Dan360
Have you guys ever had an itch for a rifle/cartridge combo that you couldn't help but scratch regardless of how it fit into your "battery" or how redundant it is?

You mean like 4 .223s....two .223AIs....Two .222s...two .22-250s....

What does "redundant" mean...? grin
I think my 30 Newton project fits pretty solidly into this category. After all, I have a perfectly good 308 Norma which I really like and the Newton requires that I buy pricey brass and buy or make dies. How much sense does that make?
Dan, the Model 70 Fwt in 7x57 is a "must have" for any self respecting shooter so I doubt that anyone will fault you for that one. GD
Originally Posted by greydog

Dan, the Model 70 Fwt in 7x57 is a "must have" for any self respecting shooter so I doubt that anyone will fault you for that one. GD

Well.....duh....

Some truths are self-evident... grin
I've been wanting an old school Remington BDL Varmint in .222 for what seems like forever. Justification might be a little hard with a .17 Rem, a .204, three .223s and two .220 Swifts.
My scratching days are done for a while but mine was a 30-06. No idea why, don't need one, really doesn't do anything my 308 wouldn't do for me, but I wanted one. Looked around for a long while and found an Interarms Mark X last summer for short $$.
Well.......if I have a 9.3x62 and need a .375 Ruger, would that be redundant?

Howsabout my go to Mauser '06.......will a new to me .270 be redundant?

Nah.
Three 7x57's, two 35 Whelen's, two 9.3x62's and a 338-06 (so really five of one, almost a half dozen of another). Nope. Oh, and three 30-06's and I have never taken one hunting. Let's not even bring up handguns.... It's a hobby right?
Yessir, and the current affliction is a 375 Flanged or 450-400 Nitro Express in a nice English double cry

Gunner
I must say, picking up my 223 has been one of the smarter rifle buys I've made. Its an itch that was scratched and now is my favorite rifle to shoot.
Yeah, I need to fill this GIANT hole between my 25-06 and 7mm with a 260 rem and it is killing me.

gary
a schutzen 22 rimfire would sure b nice.
96 mauser, 6.5 swede in a AAA mannlicher stock is the current need. I already have the rifle, putting the parts together now.

A .257 Roberts from a custom builder has been nagging at my id.

Already have a .223, 2-30/30's, 6.5 Jap, 7x57, .308, 7.7 Jap,and a 9.3x57 so I really don't need it but.....

I "needed" a 257 Roberts so I now have 3 1/2 and I "needed" a 7x57 so now I have 5.

ddj
Scratched a biggy off my last year anxiously awaiting my Shilo 45/110.Replaced a long lost love of yesteryear with a newer 444 Marlin.Now next on radar is a 35 Whelen barrel for my T/C Pro Hunter.
A .270 Weatherby in a Ruger #1 comes to mind, even though I have a perfectly good .270, .30-06, .300 mag, etc. There was a nice one that just sold on GB for $895, which was more than I thought it would go for.

I scratched a couple of big longtime itches recently with a .45-70 #1, and a custom .54 Hawken...

Then there are the slightly wierd ones, like a #3 Smith and a Spencer repro, both in .44 Russian. Or a #1 in .218 Bee....or a #1 in .30-40 Krag...or a #1 .450 Nitro...

grin
Originally Posted by Dave93

Nah.

"Redundant" is not the "re " word I would think of for a .270....
Originally Posted by KDK
I've been wanting an old school Remington BDL Varmint in .222 for what seems like forever. Justification might be a little hard with a .17 Rem, a .204, three .223s and two .220 Swifts.

This will hurt your gut, but a local store had a 700 Varmint Special in 222 Rem for $475 on the used rack. The bluing had started to purple a bit and the stock finish was really thin in spots, but nothing that couldn't have been fixed up. I'll see if its still there.
I reallty need a .404 Jeffery
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by Dave93

Nah.

"Redundant" is not the "re " word I would think of for a .270....

KDK have faith.....keep collecting all those redundant calibers...some day you'll figure it all out.... whistle grin
Originally Posted by KDK

This will hurt your gut, but a local store had a 700 Varmint Special in 222 Rem for $475 on the used rack. The bluing had started to purple a bit and the stock finish was really thin in spots, but nothing that couldn't have been fixed up. I'll see if its still there.

That would be great, Dan! Thanks!
Originally Posted by mrfudd
I reallty need a .404 Jeffery

Me too. I bought a Model 70 .300 RUM as a donor for that very purpose.
Might as well scratch the itches now because when you are dead it is too late.

After buying my first centerfire in 1982, a 7mm RM, everything else was an itch.
I must say, picking up my 223 has been one of the smarter rifle buys I've made. Its an itch that was scratched and now is my favorite rifle to shoot.

Yehhhhh.......BUT.......
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

grin cool
You evil temptress!
308ld the pic of your 257 UL has me breaking out in hives
A lite weight .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor Lefty as a deer getter.
BigR that is another itch but not a lefty. A 70 Featherweight Compact in 6.5 Creed....stainless
I need a Sako 30/06. I really don't know why but I do. The other Sako's I have just won't do.... grin
Yeah, I need a .260. Not sure why, with a Creedmoor in the safe, but you know how these things go...
A Remington Model 14-R in .35 Rem would do it for me.
I've had a thing for a 416 or 375 Taylor for a while, another 338-06, and a 7mm or 338 ubbermag of some kind... all makes sense 'cept I varmint & deer hunt in Michigan where shots on big game MIGHT push 100 yds!

They will eventually be mine, though. It's just a matter of time and money...

Oh yeah... a Sako .222 Rem... That is sensible though, as I have no bolt action .224 cal... wink
I scratched an itch today.
I bought a stainless boatpaddle Ruger M77 in '06 from fellow member Caribou Jack, shortly before I went in for surgery on Oct. 6.
Was FINALLY able to take her to the range today and put the first box of 165 grainers through her. Scratching a 6 month itch was pure pleasure!

Jeff
Mine is a 7MM-08.....Why? .243, .257, .308, .300....Why must I have a .284-08?........I have ammo for it confused it was a good price. crazy
I just finished scratching. Custom Mauser in 280 Remington. Timmney trigger, three position safety bedded action. Great wood. Leupold VX-III. Trouble is, I don't have it sighted in yet and I can already feel an itch creaping up on me. The more I scratch the worse the condition gets.
Just made a deal on a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in 300 H&H.

That scratches an itch that I have had for a long time.

donsm70

Because on you sons O' bitches i NEEDED a 257 wby..... Of course it's my favorite rifle now....

Now a 260 Montana might bee in order... You know..... For my lady

I should just quit looking on the computer. I've been at home sick for a week and all sorts of stupid ideas are crawling into my head.

Hahaha, my shoulder surgery lead to selling two rifles and picking up one more, a rebarrel and two stock jobs, all before I could even lift them up or shoot!!!! Nothing like down time and sitting here the campfire to start cooking stuff up in your head.
yes its almost contagious, my late hunting partner purchased a browning BLR in 358 win, he knew about ZIP/ZERO when he purchased the rifle ,it was his one and only big game rifle , but he purchased it because the guy owning the gun shop gave him a really good price and assured him it would kill deer AND ELK,he constantly bragged about that rifle and made fun of my 375 H&H and 340 wby, he spent the next 25 years hunting with more than average success, I eventually purchased a similar 358 win blr, then a 450 marlin BLR just to see what was so all fired compelling and he had a point, both are nice hunting tools.
the more I use those BLR rifles the more they tend to GROW on you, its an acquired taste but once your using one you find its a hard rifle to ignore when heading out on a hunt!
Bought a ruger mk II .260, hawkeye 6.5 creedmoore, now I got my mind wrapped around a .358 win, 35 whelen, .264 win mag, 22-250, 25-06 all gotta be rugers :-) And the list goes on and on maybe one day I'll scratch just the perfect itch.
Originally Posted by donsm70
Just made a deal on a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in 300 H&H.

That scratches an itch that I have had for a long time.

donsm70

I don't necessarily need a pre-'64, but an M70 .300 H&H is a dream of mine. A matching .375 would be that much sweeter.
I scratched my 338-06 rifle itch last month and now already thinking and putting stuff together for a 6.5-06. Damm you loonies for putting the idea of a 6.5 'fast mover' in my head. crazy
I already have the donors for my .338-06 and 6.5-06, I just need to get the barrels, and get them screwed on my actions. One McSwirley in the pipeline, probably going to order another fairly soon.
KDK:

The 700 Varmint Special sold. They are cool looking guns.
Bummer. Thanks for checking.
I've always wanted a 264WM but my hunting could all be handled by my 44mag pistol. So far all my shots in the last 10 years have been within 50 yards. No need for a laser flat rifle. But there is still the want.....
Get rid of the 308 and get the FWT 7x57

300 Win, 7x57, 223 - pretty well covered
Hmmmm? Does this explain why I own a Marlin 336 .35 Rem., a BLR .358 Win., a Rem. 700 Classic .350 Rem. Mag., and a Rem. 700 Classic .35 Whelen? Why yes, I think it does.
Originally Posted by NWO
Get rid of the 308 and get the FWT 7x57

300 Win, 7x57, 223 - pretty well covered

I'm already covered. Being covered is the last thing on my mind. I just want MORE!
What about a boat???
Got some of those to get rid of as well!!
I just scratched one.. grin

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by NWO
What about a boat???

Not til I have somewhere to park it.
Originally Posted by NWO
What about a boat???

Not til I have somewhere to park it.

I'm in the same boat.... whistle

I have two itches right now that I really want to scratch but I have no practical use for them. They won't do anything that I can already do with what I have. Yet, I'm still not satisfied.

308 norma.....nuff said..
Apparently, I have a bunch, because I keep agreeing with everyone here! Yes on the .308 Norma!
Ruger 1A 303 Brit and a 35 of some sort, probably 358 Win.
Don't NEED either one, but someday ....
I need a Ruger Hawkeye in 257 Roberts.

I also need to rebarrel an M70 Featherweight into 7x57.

I know the 243 and 25-06 are both better in their own way compared to the Bob. I know the 7mm-08 is essentially a shorter and more efficient 7x57.

I JUST DON'T CARE!

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!! All I want to do is replace the 257 that was stolen from me last August
A .260, 6.5 x 280AI fast twist, .270 and a 7mm-08 make up one pattern.

A .17 Mach IV, two .204s, a .22-250 and a .22 x 6MM Rem AI fast twist are another pattern, although the .22-250 has a barrel waiting to make it a fast twist .22 BR.

I definitely could have a few less of each and get by just fine! The next itch is a .2204 (.22 x .204 fast twist Kimber Montana)
Just scratched a Remington Model 7 in 250 Savage itch. Ahhhhhhhh
i scratched every centerfire rifle itch that ever occurred to me...
i have little left in the way of curiosity...

rimfire, now... that'd be different...
i itch til i twitch....
Originally Posted by DMc
Just scratched a Remington Model 7 in 250 Savage itch. Ahhhhhhhh

Nice!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

308 norma.....nuff said..

But stamp mine 30-338
Win 70 FWT Trifecta - 257 Rob, 6.5x55, 7x57, would be a pretty cool collection to have regardless of how many rifles owned
Know it ALL too well. At this very moment, I'm scratching an itch that I couldn't put off. Have long wanted a .376 Steyr but I absolutely abhor the factory Steyr rifles chambered for it. So, I'm having one built as my "Ultimate Bear Rifle", even though I have dozens of other perfectly suitable "bear rifles", many in calibers that mirror the .376, and never mind the fact that so far I have been on a grand total of ONE unsuccessful Maine bear hunt. Still, the itch had to be scratched and the finished product will see good use on local deer and hopefully pigs.
Back in February, I sent a Mark X Mauser to McGowen to be fitted with a 20 1/2" #5 barrel in .376. When it returns, it will go off to Robar for either electroless nickel or NP3 plating. Then it will have sturdy NECG iron sights installed. Then it will be set into a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock that will first be sent off to be dipped in "Reaper Woods" camo (an uber cool pattern that has skulls floating in the background). Then it will be mounted with a Leupold VX-R 2-7x with illuminated German #4 in Warne QD rings & bases that will also be plated like the barreled action. I can see it in my mind right now! Now if it'll just hurry up and come back from McGowen, we can move on to Phase II...
Nice to see another S.C. gun nut. Sounds like a cool project. Love to see it when you are done.
You have my deepest sympathy and my prayers. Know the feelings well. E
Yes I have an itch to be scratched!!! I want to buy an Al Biesen rifle.....It will happen one of these days...I don't care what my wife says or if she moves out.... whistle
'm in the process of scratching one myself. I never even gave a second thought to a custom or semi custom rifle. Not anymore, as I'm anxiously awaiting a specimen from Hill Country Rifles a 26" barreled 7mag, built on a Remy action of all god-awful things. smile I must be losing my freaking mind.
JG hope that turns out well for you. smile
Originally Posted by JGRaider
'm in the process of scratching one myself. I never even gave a second thought to a custom or semi custom rifle. Not anymore, as I'm anxiously awaiting a specimen from Hill Country Rifles a 26" barreled 7mag, built on a Remy action of all god-awful things. smile I must be losing my freaking mind.

I'm right there with you...Looking at a Biesen 7mm mag myself.... eek
It's definately an addiction. I am a recovering addict. I have vowed to get rid of rifles that "do the same thing". It is very tough to decide which ones have to go. It easier with pistols. I don't think I can do it with shotguns.
Absolutely - waited 30 years for a Win Mod 70 Featherweight, got it in 270. Got a 2nd one in same caliber thinking it was for my son down the road. Never fired it and now in the process of putting a 6.5x55 barrel on it just because I like that caliber better and the Mod 70 stock/action. Son now doesn't want the 270 so down the road it will go. Next time I'm just going to pour alcohol all over the itch while drinking some Knob Creek and remind myself of some of the silly things I've thrown money at for no better reason than "why not - let's try it".
I need a .458 Win Mag to get rid of all the damn elephants around here.
Originally Posted by 7mm08fan
Absolutely - waited 30 years for a Win Mod 70 Featherweight, got it in 270. Got a 2nd one in same caliber thinking it was for my son down the road. Never fired it and now in the process of putting a 6.5x55 barrel on it just because I like that caliber better and the Mod 70 stock/action. Son now doesn't want the 270 so down the road it will go. Next time I'm just going to pour alcohol all over the itch while drinking some Knob Creek and remind myself of some of the silly things I've thrown money at for no better reason than "why not - let's try it".

+1.........Oh what the heck, we only live once.....

I am in the process of refining my collection........namely getting quality glass on my rifles and selling off ordinary glass. I have thought of purging my collection but that would be no fun. I have all bases covered with only one exception - something over 30 calibre. Like the look of the Sako 85 Black Bear in 8x57JS or similar.....and my Mrs likes the look of it too. See what strategically placed shooting magazines can do..........
Not yet, but down the track ........

Gus
I have a 223, a 22-250, a 243, a 250-3000, a 25-06, a 260, a 264 Win Mag, a 270, a 7mm-08, a 7mm Rem Mag, and two 30-06s.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about redundancy!
I sold all mine. Kept a 243 and a 300 win.
Originally Posted by bearbacker
I have a 223, a 22-250, a 243, a 250-3000, a 25-06, a 260, a 264 Win Mag, a 270, a 7mm-08, a 7mm Rem Mag, and two 30-06s.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about redundancy!

Keep the 250 Savvy!
"Scratched" my itch just yesterday.

Steyr SL mannicher half stock in 222 mag.

The triple 2 mag was my first "new rifle" back about the time this one was made but mine was a Vixen in the slightly heavier barrel.

I saw the double set triggers, that high gloss twisted licorce looking barrel, mint condition, good wood grain and ........well...it was all over. (except the waiting for it to get here).

""ITS ONLY MONEY"" (I keep repeating that..LOL).

God Bless
One of these days I'll find the right deal on an action and I'll build a .30-40 AI.
My main itch was my NULA, which has been scratched wink
The latest equestrian is my X-Bolt grin
Originally Posted by Melvin24

Cant scratch anymore..........the safe is chocker block!!!
Just ordered a Sako A7 in 300 WM..........all over, red rover!!!!!

Gus
Originally Posted by Gus_K

Gus
LOL my 15 rifle safe only holds 10 in comfort frown & how many Deer rifles do I need grin
Originally Posted by Gus_K

Gus
LOL my 15 rifle safe only holds 10 in comfort frown & how many Deer rifles do I need grin

Are you sure we aint related........?????????

I hear you and agree 100%!!!!
A 22 Hornet built on an old SMLE action.
Sportco built them over here, and they come up pretty regularly at reasonable prices. Just haven't got around to it....yet.
A 1962 model 700 in 7 rem mag.

First year production for both...

I scratched one itch last year...I found a Rem 591M 5mm Rem Mag. I had to have her!

[Linked Image]
If I can ever find a LH 700 LA to build an all weather STW, the itch will get a lot better, and my wife will have a nice shopping trip...
I already had a Rem700 Mountain LSS rifle in .260 Rem, but when I ran across a Ruger No1 a with sweet wood in 6.5x55 Swedish.... It was too much to pass on.... Now, I have two 6.5mm rifles... Of basically the same performance level, and don't want to get rid of either one... :-)

Something about those Sleek, Long 6.5mm bullets that is hard to pass on.
Lemme see, I have a .22 Hornet, a .221 Fireball, two .223s, two .204s.......... I think I HAVE to have a .222 to see what all the fussin' is about, just because...
Been working too much to hit the gunshops much, but will plunk cash on the first 10-22 TD that i run across...
I wanted a 280 Ackley for years, even though I already had a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in .280 Rem. I wound up buying the Montana in 280 AI, so now I have two ultralights in 280 bore. Talk about redundant. I love 'em both though!
Originally Posted by MCT3
Win 70 FWT Trifecta - 257 Rob, 6.5x55, 7x57, would be a pretty cool collection to have regardless of how many rifles owned

+1
Originally Posted by stray round
BigR that is another itch but not a lefty. A 70 Featherweight Compact in 6.5 Creed....stainless

The day they come out with an M70 FWT in 6.5 Creed is the day I order one.
Originally Posted by Mauser12
I just finished scratching. Custom Mauser in 280 Remington. Timmney trigger, three position safety bedded action. Great wood. Leupold VX-III. Trouble is, I don't have it sighted in yet and I can already feel an itch creaping up on me. The more I scratch the worse the condition gets.

Got a picture of this one? I'm a 280 whore...
Originally Posted by Heeler
I scratched my 338-06 rifle itch last month and now already thinking and putting stuff together for a 6.5-06. Damm you loonies for putting the idea of a 6.5 'fast mover' in my head. crazy

I've got a Sako 85 25-06 that's been sitting in the safe, and it's in grave danger of becoming a 6.5-06. The action length is right, I don't have a 6.5 anything, and I just never warmed up to the quarter bore with such a short barrel.
Winchester M70 SS Classic in 6.5x55 Swede. Scarce as hens teeth. If I ever find one, I WILL buy it.
© 24hourcampfire