Home
Most of you have probably already seen this new rifle configuration, but I had not.

A short-barreled, stainless synthetic, open-sighted 375 Ruger from Savage.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/116ALASKANBRUSHHUNTER
Interesting. I think I'd rather have the Ruger rifle, but perhaps this is an indication that the .375 Ruger is becoming more popular.
Bet it'll be a shooting machine!

Dober
wow 18" barrel. I thought the the Ruger Alaskans 20" was maybe a touch short for me.
I like that another manufacturer has started making rifles in the 375, but I think the Ruger Alaskan is tough to beat. Somebody needs to come out with a 26" version though!
Originally Posted by noKnees
wow 18" barrel. I thought the the Ruger Alaskans 20" was maybe a touch short for me.

Same here. I'd prefer the 23" tube that they put on the Ruger African, but in stainless/synthetic.
Guessing that front sling swivel stud will get someones attention somewhere along the way!

I would want a barrel band on it.

Mike
Holy smokes, just when you've thought you've seen it all, a 375 truck gun.
The short barrel would br handy in the thick bush, but I have neveer had a problem with my 25" 375H&H. It is cheap enough I might give it a dance though. I agree with removing the front swivel as a rifle for the thick stuff should not wear a sling. If you need a short rifle in 375, you better have it in your hand.
Originally Posted by TXpitdog
I like that another manufacturer has started making rifles in the 375, but I think the Ruger Alaskan is tough to beat. Somebody needs to come out with a 26" version though!
............The Howa M1500 has their 24" barreled 375 Ruger as well as their 20" barrel.

But imo and based on the current trend for carrying handier DG rifles, rifle makers will be more apt to shy away from 26" tubed DGRs, especially when a few inches of extra barrel length will make no realistic difference in the field.

This new addition of an 18" tubed Savage chambered in the 375 Ruger is a pretty good indicator and evidence of this trend. Savage is dead on with this one, just like Ruger was and still is dead on with its Alaskan.

Beyond Ruger, Howa and Savage won`t be the last two makers to chamber the 375 Ruger in the future.
Great another push feed .375 Ruger...
Excuse my ignorance but the Ruger Alaskan is a push feed?
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
..........The Ruger Alaskan is not a push feed.

ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAlaskan/features.html

Click on "extractor"

Ok thats what I thought just checking, thanks
So I am odd man out... I could see the use for the 338 version myself...but then I doubt I'll ever be in the Alaskan Bush, to have to worry about Godzilla, Brown Bears or Grizzleys...

that set up in 338 with a hopped up 250 grain RN would be more than I'd ever need...

I've liken the idea tho of a 18 in barrel but with that heavy magnum contour... I've seriously thought about doing a 260 in that type of set up...

( PS, I won't be using it to after Alaskan Griz, Brown Bears or Godzilla... just think it is a good brush and woods range set up...)
18" or whatever, I'm just glad to see another maker with a .375 Ruger offering.
Savage also makes a 23" barreled version called the 116 Bear Hunter.
Not to hijack the thread but, how does the case capacity compare between the H&H and Ruger? Thanks
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

No, but the Howa is.
That is what I was referring to. I am glad to see another maker offering a .375 Ruger, but I am disappointed to see that it is another push feed gun though.
Originally Posted by Joe
Not to hijack the thread but, how does the case capacity compare between the H&H and Ruger? Thanks
............IIRC, the 375 Ruger casing tops the powder capacity of the H&H casing by about 6 to 8 grains.
I picked up a half dozen Howa's in 375 Ruger for our DU event. Comes with a Hogue stock. I got stainless rifles. Nice looking. They are available through Legacy Sports.
I handled the Howa .375 Ruger prototype rifle at the NRA show, and talked about them quite a bit with Randy Brooks from Barnes(happened to in the booth at the same time) and the New Products Manager from Legacy Sports. They seemed like really nice rifles which I expected given the Howa actions quality. The prototype had Hi-Viz fiber optic sights which I wasn't wild about that was about the only thing I didn't care for.

That said for the .375 Ruger and the uses it would likely see I would much rather prefer a CRF action. I'd love to see a Model 70 or Kimber .30-06 length action chambered in the .375 Ruger.
Originally Posted by prm
Savage also makes a 23" barreled version called the 116 Bear Hunter.

Didn't realize they had added that to the lineup. If I were to get a .375 Ruger that wasn't a Hawkeye, that's what I'd lean toward.
I do not see anything wrong with push feed.

I never heard of a weatherby, or Sako failing in Africa or Alaska.
And God knows how many Bee's have proven themselves in both places.
Nothing wrong with it probably in all truth, its just a personal preference. That said I have both push feed and CRF rifles in my safe.
Just like the age old debate of CRF Vs. Push Feed.

Fair nuff! grin
Just checked Savage's website and in addition to the 116 Bear Hunter they also list the 375 Ruger in their 111 blued steel and 116 stainless in 375 Ruger but with a 24 " barrel. I really like my Ruger but would have no problem with owning a Savage or Howa, they are great guns too.
My ruger is my most favorite gun.
I'd not want to get "stuck" with a: 1. Savage 2. 18" 375 H&H

I dare someone to buy one, and then see how much they could get for it on the classifieds once they figured out that they don't want it.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'd not want to get "stuck" with a: 1. Savage 2. 18" 375 H&H

I dare someone to buy one, and then see how much they could get for it on the classifieds once they figured out that they don't want it.
.............Well should you ever change your mind and buy above said rifle, or if anyone else does so, then later wishes to dump it, I`ll either bail you out or somebody else out, to keep either you or they from getting "stuck" with it.

An 18" 375 H&H in the Savage? N/A.......But an 18" 375 Ruger Savage? No problemo! Already have my 375 Ruger Alaskan. So I`d re-barrel your or whomever Savage reject into the 416 Ruger. An 18" tubed 416 Ruger? Right up my alley!

Be my guest! I`ll bail ya out! laugh laugh
Me too!

But prefer the Savage.
© 24hourcampfire