Home
Thinking about a Benchmark #1 contour 6.5mm SS tube finishing up at 24".
Going to go 8 twist and Benchmark offers cut or buttoned barrels in 5R, 3 groove, and 6 groove.

What would you choose?
I would like to see opinions on your question also. I recently ordered a 3 groove Lilja for my .270 win. build. There was a 6 groove available, but Dan said they were getting away from 6 grooves and going to mostly 3 grooves.

I just don't know enough about the pros/cons of the amount of grooves in barrels.
5R, because I'm liking the factory one on my 700 MilSpec so much. I have to believe a match grade custom one would be the stuff. Real technical, huh? grin
5R cut.
excuse my ignorance... what does 5R stand for?
[Linked Image]
Experience of one but 5R. Seems just right in land groove geometry for best compromise between bullet upset and long barrel life.

5R usually generate good velocities with acceptable pressures and clean more easily too.

If there was a 3R the choice would be tougher.
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Thinking about a Benchmark #1 contour 6.5mm SS tube finishing up at 24".
Going to go 8 twist and Benchmark offers cut or buttoned barrels in 5R, 3 groove, and 6 groove.

What would you choose?

How is it 5R rifling unless it has 5 grooves?? 3 groove maybe, but 6 groove makes no sense.
They offer 5R rifling and also offer conventional rifling in three groove and 6 groove.
Understood .... reading comprehension ain't what it used to be. smile
Chris at Benchmark says they no longer offer cut tubes, just buttoned.
Only 8 weeks out though and a very reasonable $320 +shipping for a SS #1 5R 6.5mm @24".

He also advised that flutes on such a light barrel would be merely scratches and wouldn't be worth the upcharge.
I like that type of honesty.
I've only owned one rifle with less than 6 grooves and it was very accurate and the easiest barrel to clean I've ever seen. It was a tikka 4 groove 270 win

I would definitely go with anything less than 6. I'd like to try a 3 groove. It should help reduce pressure, be easier cleaning, ect...
5r,.....
© 24hourcampfire