Home
Posted By: Bill_N 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/18/12
Who makes a bolt action 35 Whelen with a 24" barrel under $1000?
I bought a new Rem. 700 CDL so configured the year before last for less than 1K. I don't know if they are still making them or if the price is still below 1K. You might want to contact a Remmy dealer and follow it up from there.
Good luck in your search,
BD
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
I bought a new Rem. 700 CDL so configured the year before last for less than 1K. I don't know if they are still making them or if the price is still below 1K. You might want to contact a Remmy dealer and follow it up from there.
BD

This.

You'll likely be quite surprised at how nimbly it handles, too.

FC
The Ruger Hawkeye was available in .35 whelen but I am not sure if that was a limited edition.

If you can grab a donor rifle any long action can be rebarreled for under $500 to be a whelen of any length and contour you desire.

22" barrel but otherwise appears to be what your looking for.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/97805666...ALE_Ruger_M77_R_Hawkeye_35_Whelen_NE.htm
I just bought a new in box Remington 700 CDL Deluxe last fall.

24" barrel, and she's a shooter, and just plain ole mean on Coyotes.....

5 shot 100 yd group with 225gr Sierras....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Seafire Re: 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/18/12
guess you take the old adage "use enough gun" fairly seriously... grin
Posted By: Bill_N Re: 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/19/12
BD

They were discontinued. Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for one on the auctions..
Originally Posted by CallaoJoe
I just bought a new in box Remington 700 CDL Deluxe last fall.

24" barrel, and she's a shooter, and just plain ole mean on Coyotes.....

5 shot 100 yd group with 225gr Sierras....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nicely done! Makes me want to shoot one with my model 71 348WCF!
Posted By: CLB Re: 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/19/12
Originally Posted by Bill_N
BD

They were discontinued. Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for one on the auctions..

That or buy a nice used 30/06 and spin on a new tube...
I bought a NIB Remington CDL Whelen from a member for $500 several years back. Sold the stock on e-bay for $130 and installed a first generation TI stock, S&K mounts, and 2.5-8x36mm VX-3 scope. 225 Noslers and Sierras with RL15 shoot very well indeed at 2700+fps. No, I wouldn't sell the rifle for a grand!
Posted By: 358wsm Re: 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/19/12

Stoneybroke, Sounds like a very cool Whelen !
Apparently the Whelen CDL's were not selling well and a couple years ago they were going for around $600.That's why I bought one for $600. Handles very nicely and shoots, as well.
Posted By: SKane Re: 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/20/12
Bill,

If you're looking for something around the 1k range, a 700 Custom KS that's lightly used would be hard to whoop. It'll have a parkerized finish and McMillan stock in ADL configuration.
Posted By: rick35 Re: 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/21/12
yup, a cdl is the best bet. wish i still had mine. it was that effective on coyotes too! think the classic and bdl versions both had 22" but the cdl was a 24" for dure.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/21/12
I'm looking for something out of the box, like a CDL or Hawkeye for $500-$600. Thought the Hawkeye might have a 24" tube as well.
A year or so ago, my local pusher had a blue/walnut and a stainless/synthetic Hawkeye, either one for $565. I farted around long enough that he sold them to a couple of other chumps. Er, ah, customers. But I have a Santa Barbera Mauser that just might get a Whelen barrel till all is said and done.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2356946/1

I still have this one. I need to dig it out of the back of the safe and shoot it again soon.

Bb
Posted By: 358wsm Re: 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/22/12
Burleyboy,

THAT is a Dandy of a Whelen..!!!
Posted By: wyoguide Re: 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/23/12
My CDL has been converted to ADL in a KS Safari take off
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/23/12
Ok, I just have to ask.

Why a 24" barrel?

My .358 has a 20" tube, and I'd go 22" on a Whelen all the live-long day.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/23/12
Personal preference more than anything else but I like the balance point of a full size rifle with a 24" barrel. It may reduce muzzle jump a little and a slight increase in velocity are the other benefits.
Posted By: coop4u2c Re: 35 Whelen with 24" Barrel - 05/23/12
E.R.shaw MKVII for around $1000. Built on Savage action with tons of options.
© 24hourcampfire