Home
Seems like the other post has more or less run it's course. I've got a Weatherby Vanguard 308. Never been fired that is aching for a kid to play with. Got to thinking it would be kind of cool if we found a kid in one of the villages in Alaska. Subsistence is a big thing but decent equipment is sometimes tough to come by. I can help out with the rifle, can anybody else help out with a scope and some of the other items?
Posted By: Tanner Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/02/12
I've got some .308 bullets I could pitch in!
cool!!
I may have a spare Bushnell scope, I know I have one Tasco World-Class that is a donor only. If these will help, PM me with instructions.

I'll pitch in a Butler Creek neoprene carry strap with swivels and a .30 cal bore snake if you think that would help. Lemme know.
That's great I think both would work. Pm on the way
I don't think the other thread is quite over yet. I'm still waiting to send my rifle off. Karnis is still working on the stock. I just think there are some items that need to come together and it will be up and running again.

Still giving away a new .308 is an awesome gift to any kid.
This is really a great idea to revive again. I came late to the last opportunity, so I'd like to see what I can do this time.

First off, I know a young fellow who sounds like a very possible candidate for such a thing. Many people have no real idea what life is like out in some of these villages. I will admit that my experience is pretty narrow in terms of rural scope, but I've lived in 'the village' for close to 30 years, in two places just north of the Yukon delta. Most people don't really have much, but they manage to live pretty decently anyway. Certainly there's plenty who 'can" who 'won't', and there's also plenty who 'can't' who don't want to.

The kid I'd like to offer as a prospect is a young fellow whose family history you just about have to ignore, or it'll tear you up. His mother spent a year or two in Anchorage while she was in high school, she ended up pregnant and back home. So he has been raised by in the village, under conditions that include neglect, abuse, and substance problems. His biological father has passed away, his mother has moved away, he lives with his grandparents; his grandfather who has limited sight in one eye doesn't hunt. This kid has largely raised himself, taught himself to hunt, and works very avidly to bring home with his only gun- a 12 gauge shotgun- anything that will put protein on his family's table. Unlike so many kids out here who find relatively easy access to transportation, this young fellow hoofs it most of the time and is grateful whether he comes home with a couple rabbits, a ptarmigan, or a goose or three even if that means walking 3, 5, or 8 miles across frozen or swampy tundra to do so. I don't know how many times I've been asked, "If I had a slug, how far, how big, how accurate, would I be able to ..." This is a young guy who would try to poke a sharp stick in a seal if he thought it was possible, even if he never succeeded.

I don't know if he fits the 'deserving kid' ideal, but he seems like a decent prospect to me. I know I'd gladly set him up with at least a gross (144) of 308 handloads for that rifle (with mil-surp headstamps so perhaps he wouldn't have to share his 'wealth' with too many other 308 users. wink ) If not him, at the very least, I'd throw in a Bore Snake and some appropriate fluids knowing the conditions under which guns are used (hard) out in this part of the world.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/02/12
Love this thread. Big props to Paul for starting it and to all contributors since. Just awesome.

I have a drawer full of Remington pieces and parts but I'm guessing they won't help on a a weatherby? If they use the same mounts I've got Leup DD's to pitch in.

Anyway you guys rock.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/02/12

He sure sounds DESERVING to me. And in need.

Have a scope yet?
He seems like a descent prospect to me. I like it.
Jeff, Weatherby and Remington have the same screw whole pattern for bases so if you have one it would be appreciated.
Earl, looks like AH64guy is going to help with a scope. THanks
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/02/12

Ok. I'll hang on to it for the next project.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/02/12
I think Klik's young candidate seems perfect.

I don't know if he'd want them but I have an old pair of Japanese binoculars that are clear and sturdy but also heavy and bulky.
7-15 zoom.
They are certainly not something I'd carry hunting as I have other options but if Klik thinks he can use these they're his.

Pictures forthcoming.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/02/12
Here's the pics.

Like I said they're big, heavy and bulky but the glass is very very good and they're in very good shape.
Comes with the original case.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lonny Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/02/12
Klik's prospect seems like a kid who could use a little help.

I'd like to donate a new in package Kershaw Chill folding knife.

Tell me where to send it.
Kliks nominee sounds like a perfect fit to the mold Paul set when we started this and has my vote. Let me dig around and I will see what I have for a .308
Posted By: Lonny Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/02/12
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Seems like the other post has more or less run it's course. I've got a Weatherby Vanguard 308. Never been fired that is aching for a kid to play with. Got to thinking it would be kind of cool if we found a kid in one of the villages in Alaska. Subsistence is a big thing but decent equipment is sometimes tough to come by. I can help out with the rifle, can anybody else help out with a scope and some of the other items?

Forgot to mention in my first post, but that is one heckuva fine and generous offer on your part. Thank you Sir for wanting to help out others!

Question for Caribou, Klik, and other Ak'ers familiar with this type of situation. I realize the scope is the biggie needed, but what type of items would be helpful for this young man in his location?
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/03/12
Hey guys looks like i am a little late.Maybe I will catch the next one.If something is needed on this one please post it.I got stuff stacked every where.
late to this one also... but same thing.. you guys rock...

if anything like bullets or anything would help out, let me know...
Originally Posted by nsaqam

I don't know if he'd want them but I have an old pair of Japanese binoculars that are clear and sturdy but also heavy and bulky.
7-15 zoom.
They are certainly not something I'd carry hunting as I have other options but if Klik thinks he can use these they're his.

Pictures forthcoming.

I think it's a great idea. Kids are flexible and I think just having them would be an encouragement. I'll pm my address.
Originally Posted by Lonny
Klik's prospect seems like a kid who could use a little help.

I'd like to donate a new in package Kershaw Chill folding knife.

Tell me where to send it.

That sounds really handy I'll pm my address.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Kliks nominee sounds like a perfect fit to the mold Paul set when we started this and has my vote. Let me dig around and I will see what I have for a .308

That sounds good and I know this could will be excited when he gets it.
I'm thinking anything like a gun case, back pack, compass, first aid kid, anything that goes along with hunting or just using guns and shooting them would be greatly appreciated. Doesn't sound like this kid has much.
Posted By: powdr Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/03/12
That sounds like the kind of kid that deserves a nice rifle. I have brass and bullets plus a good knife and sling if he needs one. powdr
I think most kids work off of more is better. It'll all be appreciated. I'll pm my address.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

That sounds good and I know this could will be excited when he gets it.

If we go with the young fellow here, seeing the various offers already made for components, I'll either load the components with my own powder and primers then, or, perhaps I can use the opportunity to reload them himself as an incentive to help him get to school a bit more regularly.

And before anyone offers reloading gear, while I don't mind teaching the process of component assembly, it isn't something I encourage unless people are really ready. The hassle of getting the hazmat out here is substantial.

But bullets and cases are good contributions.

Originally Posted by nsaqam

7-15 zoom.

Pictures forthcoming.

Binos = Good!

As far as other ideas, realize that conditions here can be pretty rugged. Things are subject to dampness, so preventing moisture problems with any gear is a good thing.

Which reminds me, if anyone has gloves which are too big, too small, too warm, or just not what you thought they were, that can work too. Gloves are one thing that always seem to be in short supply out here.

Plastic ammo boxes might be handy if anyone has spares around, especially a few 20 round types.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/03/12

I've got GORTEX mittens and a hvy toboggan if you'll pm me where to send them. Also,got any idea what size clothes would fit him? I've got some wool clothing that I could send to.
Another thought came to mind this morning; something that would really make an impression on this kid would be having a name and state attached to the items. That probably holds true with kids anywhere, but I know especially out here where the rest of the world can seem pretty foreign and unknown, save for what they see on television.

I know some people like to remain anonymous and I totally respect whatever anonymity people want to retain with the internet. However, a first name and state would be plenty of info as far as making the givers real people. (I'm not sure that screen names would mean a whole lot all by themselves. wink )
Klik, I think this is coming together very well so far. Thanks for providing a kid. laugh
Hows about a knife? I assume the boy has one, but I have a larger Buck NIB I bought here on the fire several years ago ....
looked it up online .... its a model 119 .... if that's too large maybe a CRKT folder ... nice knife too.

-g
George, either one would be great. I appreciate the offer. You decide. I'll pm my address.
Posted By: iddave Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/04/12
Klik,

I've got a pair of Leupold Aluminum Rifleman rings (Weaver style) that are essentially new. Let me know if you need them, as I'd happily send them your way for the cause.

Dave
Iddave, I don't think we've got scope rings or bases yet for this rifle.
Klik, I think this is coming together very well so far. Thanks for providing a kid. laugh

I hope this works out. You can do the 'collection' on your end if you like and I can get everything sometime when I'm in town - should be before the summer's out. I'll be happy to pull loose ends together on this end. Really a nice gesture on your part to organize another deal for a kid , especially providing a nice rifle.

Some of these youngsters out here almost live a saga rather than a life. Such is the case with this fellow. I was reminded of a phone call I nearly didn't answer one early morning a few months ago' it was about 3 am and well below zero. They were looking for people to go check on a house which was burning. When I arrived there were a few people throwing snow up on the roof while others were attempting to assemble firehose and get it all connected. Windows were wide open and we could see people still inside the very smoky interior of the house. One of those people was this kid. He was trying to save their house. We had to tell him to get out and close the windows so the fire didn't have so much air. I still remember his words, "Wait, I need to get some things...my (shot)gun."
I don't have a doubt in my mind. I appreciate you being able to come up with a kid and the fact that you have the insight to help use this to keep him in school and motivated. What ever doesn't come in I'll work on and try to kick in myself. I'd sure like this to be a great memory for him and a good motivator.
Posted By: EdM Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/05/12
I have a NIB (still wrapped) matte Pentax Pioneer (Burris FFII equiv) 3-9X available. I will not be home until September. Let me know via PM if it is desired.
Tony I pm'd you. Hope things are going well over there. Take care.

Posted By: nsaqam Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 07/05/12
I had the huge 7-15x50 binoculars out yesterday and although they are huge and heavy they are also really really clear and smooth.

Actually surprising how good these things are optically.
Sounds good, thanks a lot. Gonna be a happy kid.
I have a Weaver K4 if ever needed..........just send me a PM and I'll ship it wherever it needs yo go.
Looks like we've got a scope, but save it, I'm sure this won't be the last time this happens.
Klik,

What else does this young man need and could put to good use?
I think Klik is traveling. Hopefully will check in, in a few days.
Bump, I've sent messages to several people who's stuff has come in.
Thanks folks.
CJ / Klik ...

How's this coming together? Gotta be getting close to hunting season up there. Good on both of you!!.
Klik, just came by the house last night to pick up everything. He was totally blown away by all the stuff that was donated. Nsaqam your binocs made it too. The interesting thing is the kid doesn't know this is in the works and Klik was talking about some way to make the presentation, maybe at school. He should be on line in the next couple of days, I'm thinking he'll make some comments. Thanks for all your help. This could be addicting.
Everything's safely 'out here' now. Ironically, the young fellow stopped by the house only a couple of hours after I made it home. He had a couple of big old bones outside and wanted me to give him an idea what they were. (Rather than the bones of some prehistoric elephant he probably hoped they were, they ended up being mud-stained jaw bones of a baleen whale.) I hope I convinced him to bring them to school where he and the science teacher can attempt to identify the species.

The 'stuff' you guys sent is *marvelous*. It makes me smile knowing what I know every time I see the kid.
Posted By: EdM Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 08/10/12
Scope will be sent first week of September as I arrive home the 2nd or 3rd.
I have an unused box of factory 200 grain .308's that I'll never use. Might be Winchester Super X silver tips if I recall correctly. Be glad to donate them. Send PM where to send them. I could send you a picture this evenening if need be. Custombolt.
I responded to your email, thanks for the thought.
I am part of the original thread. I nominated a youngster who is getting a few items, although a problem with the rifle has kept me from presenting them to him yet.

Anyway, I have a set of new Weaver rings that I believe are mediums-they are the grandslam or whatever the model is called. If you need them, let me know.

This is such a great thing everybody is doing. I know the kids appreciate it more than can be expressed, and it feels good for all involved too.
Nice job guys. Anything else needed?

donsm70
At this point I think we are good. I'll let Klik give some more input as the opportunity to present all this gets closer.
Klik told me 308 brass... I had a box of range brass in 308 ready to send up and all of a sudden it was gone... I don't know where I set it...

but for anyone who has spare 308 brass, that is one item, that doesn't require haz matt rates that I am sure our young deserving boy could put to good use...
I responded to your email, thanks for the thought.
Any time.
School should be starting out in the bush before long and I'm sure Klik will put something together with them to make this presentation. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
I'll throw in some LC 91 brass if you can use it pm and let me know...
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
This is really a great idea to revive again. I came late to the last opportunity, so I'd like to see what I can do this time.

First off, I know a young fellow who sounds like a very possible candidate for such a thing. Many people have no real idea what life is like out in some of these villages. I will admit that my experience is pretty narrow in terms of rural scope, but I've lived in 'the village' for close to 30 years, in two places just north of the Yukon delta. Most people don't really have much, but they manage to live pretty decently anyway. Certainly there's plenty who 'can" who 'won't', and there's also plenty who 'can't' who don't want to.

The kid I'd like to offer as a prospect is a young fellow whose family history you just about have to ignore, or it'll tear you up. His mother spent a year or two in Anchorage while she was in high school, she ended up pregnant and back home. So he has been raised by in the village, under conditions that include neglect, abuse, and substance problems. His biological father has passed away, his mother has moved away, he lives with his grandparents; his grandfather who has limited sight in one eye doesn't hunt. This kid has largely raised himself, taught himself to hunt, and works very avidly to bring home with his only gun- a 12 gauge shotgun- anything that will put protein on his family's table. Unlike so many kids out here who find relatively easy access to transportation, this young fellow hoofs it most of the time and is grateful whether he comes home with a couple rabbits, a ptarmigan, or a goose or three even if that means walking 3, 5, or 8 miles across frozen or swampy tundra to do so. I don't know how many times I've been asked, "If I had a slug, how far, how big, how accurate, would I be able to ..." This is a young guy who would try to poke a sharp stick in a seal if he thought it was possible, even if he never succeeded.

I don't know if he fits the 'deserving kid' ideal, but he seems like a decent prospect to me. I know I'd gladly set him up with at least a gross (144) of 308 handloads for that rifle (with mil-surp headstamps so perhaps he wouldn't have to share his 'wealth' with too many other 308 users. wink ) If not him, at the very least, I'd throw in a Bore Snake and some appropriate fluids knowing the conditions under which guns are used (hard) out in this part of the world.
the kid is deserving of a gun, some of the family is/was deserving of the bullets.
I have a Buck 105 if you will tell me where to mail it to
FWIW, I have 50 168gr Barnes XLC's I could throw in, I might also have some 150gr XLC's as well along with load data for both. I figure they might come in handy on the larger game up there. Send a pm if interested.
PM's have been sent
Posted By: EdM Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 09/11/12
Scope went in the mail today via USPS priority. Sorry for the delay.
Sounds good. I expect to hear from Klik anytime. He was trying to work it out to present it at school. Not sure how difficult that is going to be. I'm looking forward to hearing myself. Thanks Ed.
Alright, we've got things set for tomorrow I think. Shane is making pretty regular attendance at school this fall. I talked with him briefly today to check and make sure he was going to be there tomorrow. Some little kid in one of the lower elementary grades told a teacher his uncle - Shane- took him hunting last night so he was able to knock down his first goose. Lots of teachers either named him for or support him as a good choice so I think we've done good.

[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of the young fellow, the one on the left. This is a boat he made to use for checking their salmon net. "Making do" with whatever you've got is one of the classic traits of subsistence, so I think he's doing alright there.

For those who have sent things up this way, I laid it all out this evening......all I can say is that your friends are very lucky people. I am truly in awe of everyone. I showed a couple of teachers over at the school so it didn't seem like a big secret. They were amazed; the one was about ready to jump out of here skin she is so excited for this event.

I'll post pics tomorrow, assuming this comes off as planned.
Man I'm pumped to see pics of another good kid getting a hand up.
Awesome! I can't frickin' wait!
This is a great thread, I'm late to the party, but very glad to see you guys doing this kinda stuff
[Linked Image]

Hey, this is the internet, but don't tell anyone we did the presentation at the end of the school day..... in school. I put a name, town and state on the board to recognize publicly where all the good people are who made contributions. I know that isn't why any of you guys did this, but I think it is important for the kids out in this remote place to realize that there are many great people in the bigger world who appreciate good character traits and interests.

[Linked Image]

A few of the comments I heard:

"You mean this is all mine?"

"This is really a nice rifle!" (Yeah, that's what I thought too.)

"Now I can hunt big game! I'm going to get a license so I can hunt moose." (I'd really love to see him behind a big walrus with that .308, bonked with one of those little blue meanies [Barnes XLCs] wink )

"I was just thinking of putting a scope on my .22."

"Can we start loading some ammo next week?" (We sure will!)

"Make sure you tell those guys thank you." (I expect you'll get it more personally as well.)

As if some of his comments don't say it well enough, I can tell you Shane is very appreciative. Additionally, even before anyone knew he was the one who was going to be the recipient, while I was talking about initiative, stewardship and resourcefulness, etc, a few of the kids were whispering his name as if they thought he fit. Lots of his peers were very happy for him and seemed to recognize that this was a pretty cool deal; very impressive.

Awesome work Klik. Warms the heart to see a budding young sportsman get a hand up with gear he/his family couldn't swing.

The most touching part of this for me is that aside from the awesome donation of the rifle, the rest of the items were likely parts that most of us just had laying around and didn't mean much to us yet to Shane likely mean the world.

Strong work once again gents and thanks Klik and Cariboujack for fronting this
This is great. I'm thrilled this could happen. Thanks to all who participated.
And thanks to you, M, for initiating this one. I am humbled by the honor of being present to do for you and the rest who contributed what you couldn't do in person.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 09/15/12
Very cool!

Glad I could do my little part.
I've got a little dust in my eyes right now grin, this is just awesome, it was my honor to be a part of this if only in a small way, thanks all of you guys for your generousity and letting me be a part of this. If you are able Mark, I'd love to see any pics you could post of game he bags with that rig in the future. Good luck hunting Shane!
[Linked Image]

We never got a good shot of all'the stuff' when we did the presentation. However, I did take this one minus the rifle and gloves before the event. Thought you guys who sent stuff up Anchorage or out my way might like to see that it all made it.

(Now, I need to find my 308 reloading dies today. whistle )
Sure happy everything worked out so well... smile
Bump for everyone that participated to see.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[Linked Image]

We never got a good shot of all'the stuff' when we did the presentation. However, I did take this one minus the rifle and gloves before the event. Thought you guys who sent stuff up Anchorage or out my way might like to see that it all made it.

(Now, I need to find my 308 reloading dies today. whistle )

Impressive fellas....Good on ya
Posted By: EdM Re: Deserving kid needing a gun - 09/20/12
Hey where's my scope? grin
I've still got it. This happened before I got it. Talking about doing something along this line as an incentive for a kid. I'd donate another gun. Obviously being school it's a little sensitive, so stay tuned. Maybe go a different direction but have two key items to start with.
Just like the other deserving kid post, this one ranks up there as one of the best posts I've ever read on any forum.

Bravo to all involved.
© 24hourcampfire