Home
I've been looking at getting this rifle in 308 Win. for some fun shooting and occassional deer, bear etc.

I see it comes with Tikka rings and looks like built-in bases.
Is it even possible to install conetrol or Talley Lightweights with the current built-in base? I'd like to use the leupold VX3 2.5x8x36.

What do you use and do you like it?

Thanks!
They're drilled and tapped for bases too. I used the Deadnutz one piece mount and rings and it looked good and was solid as a rock.

[Linked Image]
I used Warne rings and in hind sight would use a 2-7x32 or so.I have a 3-9x40 Bushnell 4200 and its fine but I think less would be better.Not enough to change it.Very handy rifle.
I have a few T3's and I'm very happy with the Talley LW's. You can use the Talley Xtra lows with that VX3 36mm. The DNZ are a good option as well.
Here's a pic of 36mm Obj with Talley LW Xtra low if that helps.

[Linked Image]

Great guys- thanks!

MCT-3, what bases are you using with the Talleys?
These are the one piece Talley LW lows which are different from the steel bases and split rings
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
They're drilled and tapped for bases too. I used the Deadnutz one piece mount and rings and it looked good and was solid as a rock.

[Linked Image]

That would be my first choice with a Tikka
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

[Linked Image]

I've done this on two of mine and would use it on any others I buy.

Bad pic. Talley lw rings/bases. Nikon prostaff 3x9
[Linked Image]
Warne rings and a Leupold 2-7x33. Not the lightest rings available but seem rock solid. Probably consider Talleys or DNZs if that itch needed to be scratched.
John -

I am the odd man out here. I've been using the T 3 rings since I got mine in 2003. NO PROBLEMS.

It started out just as an experiment. I thot I'd see IF they held up. They still are.

You would need to see if the scope you want on it, WILL clear the barrel and your needed eyerelief.

If they work, there's NO NEED to spend more money. You could always get different ones later.

Jerry
warne rings, vx3 leupold 3.5-10x40
Originally Posted by jwall
John -

I am the odd man out here. I've been using the T 3 rings since I got mine in 2003. NO PROBLEMS.

It started out just as an experiment. I thot I'd see IF they held up. They still are.

You would need to see if the scope you want on it, WILL clear the barrel and your needed eyerelief.

If they work, there's NO NEED to spend more money. You could always get different ones later.

Jerry

I've had no problems with the Tikka rings.

Expat
I used the HD EGW's and Warne rings on my 338 wm.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

I've had no problems with the Tikka rings.
Expat

Same here, the Tikka rings work fine for me.
Talley LW Ringmounts Ex-LO's on a T-3 Lite 30/06 with Nikon 3x9x40 Monarch.

G2
I use both the factory rings or Talley LW.

.308 T3 topped with Nightforce 2.5-10 wears the Talleys.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.223 T3, wears the factory rings.

[Linked Image]

Have a number of other Tikkas, mix of factory and Talleys. If going aftermarket, I will buy Talley LWs.

I replaced all the screws in the factory mounts for around $2. They may not look as nice as some of the other mounts, but felt they were perfecly serviceable after the screws were replaced. I had some problems the factory screw heads rounding off when turning them. The hardened steel replacements worked much better.

That is the only way I'd go if I ever buy another. This rifle is a workhorse any way, not a showhorse, and as long as it functions I'm not concerned about looks.
Agree with JMR,

The rings are really not an issue, but the screws are a bit soft. I have been careful with my torque wrench settings.

I have it written down somewhere on my bench what my final torque values were before I trashed a couple. It was really no big deal, but I do recall that I went to Tacoma Screw to see if they carried a similar TPI screw, which the local store did not at the time.

Now I can't recall if I ordered extras or not.. What do they say is the first thing to go?....
Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9 mounted in good old Weaver rings and bases.

Dale
The Tikka screws are extremely soft. I went with Talley LW lows on my two T3s with Leupold 2.5-8 scopes.
I use Talley Lightweight One Piece Medium with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 50mm B&C on my 338WM T3 Stainless. Wanted the strongest ring/base combo possible on a 338WM. No problems after around 300 rounds. Shoots MOA out to 400 yards with Federal Premium 225 TSX.
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
I've been looking at getting this rifle in 308 Win. for some fun shooting and occassional deer, bear etc.

Is it even possible to install conetrol or Talley Lightweights with the current built-in base? I'd like to use the leupold VX3 2.5x8x36.

Thanks!

Talley extra lows....send them to 16bore to have them milled to fit the dovetail.
I have two sets of the extra lows and one of the low.
The low has a 4.5X14X40 with AO mounted and the extra lows have 3.5X10X40 and a Burris 3X9X40.
I'd go with the extra low's milled with the 2.5X8X36 grin
Here's what they look like.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I use the Tikka rings and a Leupold 2-7X. There is no problem if the screws are properly torqued.
I put Warnes on mine. They clamped directly to the receiver like the Tikka OEM rings.
Another vote for the Talley lightweights. SOLID
I've used the factory rings with a Leupold 3.5X10X40 for maybe 4 years now. It's only a .223 but it does get bounced around in the pickup nearly every day.

I recently shot it and it was 1" left of where it should have been @ 100 yards. Could have been the rings, I don't know. They haven't loosened any in that time.

It shoots 100 yard groups in the middle .5s with my old Prairie Dog handloads. I've been meaning to work up a load for it.
Originally Posted by mistem
Originally Posted by John_Gregori

Thanks!

Talley extra lows....send them to 16bore to have them milled to fit the dovetail.
I have two sets of the extra lows and one of the low.
The low has a 4.5X14X40 with AO mounted and the extra lows have 3.5X10X40 and a Burris 3X9X40.
I'd go with the extra low's milled with the 2.5X8X36 grin
Here's what they look like.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Those look great!
I'll second that....they do look great!
I use the DNZ one piece rings and Leupold 3-9X0 scopes and no problem at all.
Been using the factory rings since I bought mine with zero issues. Don't over torque so no issues with screws--although they are ugly and look like they came from the bulk bin at Home Depot.

I am running a T3 SL in .308 so don't have to worry about recoil force as much as the mag guys.

Had a Viper 2-7x32 on her and went to a Viper 4-12x40 for now as I do a lot of walkabouts looking for long range rock rats, yotes, etc.

PS- I am a fan of the Talley LWs and have them on other rifles.
Talley Lightweights!!
Originally Posted by Sika_
Talley Lightweights!!

+1
Mine and buddies tikkas run Talley or dnz.
Vx3 3.5-10, vx3i 3.5-10, monarch 2.5-10, viper 2-10
[Linked Image]

Not mine , but a friends tikka ring that failed on a 308 with a 6-24x50 scope . I’d estimate 150 rounds through it

I’m still using the factory rings on a 270 with a 4-12x44 , fingers crossed I guess , but it doesn’t get shot much
I have a 5HD 56mm leupold,what is the lowest talley i can use ?
DNZ, Leupold VX-2 3-9.
Formidilious is using some type of airgun mounts and swears by them.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Formidilious is using some type of airgun mounts and swears by them.

They’re not “airgun” mounts..... they’re mounts made by SportsMatch, specifically for the Tikka. Sportsmatch also made mounts for Accuracy Internationsl. I’ve got a set holding an SS 12x on my Tikka 6 Creed.... they’re pretty solid.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The Sportsmatch rings are pretty nice.

[Linked Image]
I'm very fond of the Sportsmatch as well.

[Linked Image]
Talley one piece base/rings.
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/zM2an4v7aWFGrHHi8[/img]
© 24hourcampfire