Home
Posted By: Kent What's in your rifle battery? - 10/08/01
We've enjoyed some informative comparisons: .25-06 vs .270; 308 vs .30-06; .338 Winchester vs .375 H & H. <BR>What would you buy if you were staring a hunting collection? If owned only 3 or so rifles, what would it be?
Hey Kent,<BR> 3 would be hard. I'd say a 22 Rimfire, a 30-06 and a 375 H&H Magnum would work. I'd rather have 4 then my choices would be a 22 rimfire, a 243, A 300 mag and the 375 H&H. Thank goodness we don't have to settle for three [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img],,,,BEARHUNTER
3 rifles? Not counting a rimfire? Worldwide?<P>375 H&H (got it)<BR>30-06 (got it)<BR>257 weatherby mag or 243<BR>don't have yet) grin<P>Cheers<P>Tex<P>Trying to get this one started anyway
Posted By: Kent Re: What's in your rifle battery? - 10/08/01
I don't intend to include rimfire in this discussion. I'd include:<BR>.223, .270, .30-06, and next would be a .375 H & H. Don't limit your response to 3. These are the 4 I'd not want to do without.
Since we are not counting rimfires, my three choices would be .223, .308, and 45-70. <P>BigBore
It would depend on where I would be hunting, and what.<BR> Worldwide, it would have to be a .375 H&H, and probably a .22 Magnum, with a medium, like a .280. Some countries don't allow militaty rounds, so the excellent 30'06/308 rounds wouldn't do. <BR> If varmits were on the menu, then a good .22-250 would be very nice. E
Ok if you guys are changing the stinking rules (grin)<P>375 H&H<BR>30-06<BR>257 Weatherby<BR>223<P>Tex<P>P.S. And bring on the critters !
Posted By: Kent Re: What's in your rifle battery? - 10/08/01
Buddy of mine ownes a cattle ranch in the Northern CA valley, there are some feral hogs running around there with the deer. I'd probably use my .270 on both, .30-06 on the black bear. When (I hope, I hope!) I get the .375, I'd like to try it on elk.<P>What would you use your rifles for?
I would say:<BR>270<BR>300 win mag<BR>338 Ultra<BR>I have none of these [img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img] . I rilly do Need Guns, but theres litle that you can hunt in Massachusetts with rifles.<P>What you what to do with the guns makes a lot of diffrence. Things like 223, 22/250, 45/70, & 416 Rigby may be good for what you need too.
Posted By: AFP Re: What's in your rifle battery? - 10/09/01
Okay I'll play. I have often thought what hunting rifles I would keep if I were limited.<P>1. 30-06<BR>2. 416 Rem (I'd recommend 375 H&H for most guys)<BR>3. 6mm Rem (heavy barreled varmit rig)<BR>4. 338 Ultra<P>Yes, I have all those.<P>Blaine
25-06, 300 win, and 45-70!
Well, I'd have to go with my 223,my 7mm Rem Mag, and I'd have to replace my 300 Win with maybe a 375 H&H or a 340 Weatherby............................... anyone have a good 375(or dare I say..416?) barrel from a 700?
WOW this is a tuff game, as usual, so I think I will play along with rifles I don't have: Kimber 84 in 7mm-08, AR-10 .308,<BR>Shilo Sharps 45-90, Remington xb-40 22PPC.<BR>Tomorow the list will change.<P>Bullwnkl.
Posted By: JMac Re: What's in your rifle battery? - 10/09/01
If I wanted to own only three or four hunting rifles, I would!<P>A 25-06 for coyotes. (Got two)<BR>A 300 magnum for most hunting. (Got one)<BR>A 338 Ultra for "serious" hunting (Got one)<BR>A 416 Rem Mag for the heck of it. (Gathering pieces)<P>On the other hand... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]
I'd absolutely have to have these four:<P>.223 Rem.<BR>.35 Rem. <BR>7x57mm Mauser <BR>.35 Whelen<P>A practical battery for a commoner such as myself. (Wonder if I've ever answered this question the same way, twice in a row ??) [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img]
If we are not including rimfires, I would definitely have to say my four choices would be:<P>.458 Win Mag<BR>.338 Win Mag<BR>.30/06 Springfield <BR>.22/250
.270 Wby. , .338-378 Wby. & .50 BMG (grin)
Ruger 1V in 6mm Rem, 7mm mag and 444Marlin.
If I was starting a collection, limited to three guns then I would choose; 22-250 heavy barrel, 25 cal short magnum (wildcat), and a 338 cal short magnum (wildcat). Of course the 25 and 338 would be on the same action and if possible similar to the 22-250.
Lets see, if I was for a three gun armory that would be sufficient for hunting the world...<P>416 Rigby Ruger Deluxe Rifle- for dangerous stuff<BR>338 Ruger All Weather in 338<BR>45-70 Stainless Guide gun<BR> <BR>However, with 4 guns:<P>338-378 in a Weatherby Accumark- just to make it fun <BR>or<BR>25-06 Ruger Varmint Rifle Laminated<P>Then again, tomorrow it will be:<P>308 Springfield Armory Supermatch with a Douglas SS bbl- a little heavy, but hey, I work out<P>458 Lott in a Ruger Deluxe Rifle<P>45-70 Stainless Guide gun- that'll never change
Boise,<BR>the 25 & 338 short magnum wildcats wundering if you have those and if so how they shoot. (I'm gessing those are re-necked 300WSM's corect me if there not)
since we're not counting rimfires...<P>.223 rem<P>.30-06<P>.416 rigby
.223 Rem<BR>.308 Win<BR>.338 WinMag<P>These are the favorites I do have. <BR>Also a 7.62x39 and 30-06. I cannot figure out why I think I need a .458 Win. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]
I Need guns - You are just about on target with the WSM comment but I was leaning towards the Remmington. Historically I have shot the 700 and model 7 and don't see a good reason to change.<P>My model 7 in 243 is nice and light and plently accurate for hunting. I prefer a lighter rifle here in Idaho where the country is plenty steep. And although I would be best off to sit and watch instead of walking, I find my self covering a lot of ground. I won't argue it is easier to shoot a heavier/bigger rifle but, again, the carrying part gets to be tiring.<P>I was thinking the 25 RSM (Remington Short Mag) for mule deer and antelope. The 338 RSM for elk. Of course the 30 RSM would work for both deer and elk but the deal was to have three rifles. I would also carry the 25 RSM for coyotes while walking the winter range looking for antlers. The 22-250 is the ticket for rock chucks and ground squirels. I can't remember the last time I shot my 22 rimfire rifles.<P>Currently I use the .280 in a full size model 700 for deer, antelope, and elk. I did pick up a .375 H&H but will continue to use the .280. The H&H is just too pretty to bang up crawling around in the rocks. The .243 is only used on coyotes and other targets of opportunity outside of big game season. <P>I can't image Winchester and Remington are going to miss the opportunity to release a whole new family of cartridges. Their move to synthetic and stainless weapons has been a marketing dream and they can now couple it with a whole new offering of cartridges. It doesn't matter that none of us need them! Because they know we all want them. I am just not ready to pay for wildcats when, in the near future, they will be standard offering, IMHO.
G'day,<P> 1 Wichita Classic in 222 Remington Magnum.<P> 2 Weatherby Accumark Ultra -Light Weight in 240 WBY<P> 3 Weatherby Accumark in 30-378 WBY<P> 4 Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 460 WBY.<P>They are in the safe now but I also have a few back-ups just in case.<P>Regards,<BR> Charlie.
I would gt a 270 Win ( or 30-06)<P>A 338 Win Mag<P>And and 375 H&H ( or 416 Rem)
Only 3 rifles to do everything ???<P>So how about:<P>A cross the course bolt gun in 6mmX - this would do for target shooting as well as for varmints. Use a fast twist barrel and it would even make it to 1000yds for Long Range competition.<P>Then a Winchester stainless model 70 in .375 H&H for everything else. Deer to whatever. Choose a load appropriate for the game being hunted.<P>Hmmm...Guess I only <B>need</B> two - go figure...<P>Scott
If I had to get rid of all but three of my centerfire rifles, the three I would keep are:<BR>.416 Wby. Mag.- Alaska bears, Africa, big stuff<BR>.300 Wby. Mag.- Large North American game, Africa plains game, good Alaska choice<BR>.257 Wby. Mag.- All deer-size game, up to and including elk- will do for varmints with lighter bullets, if need be.<BR>If forced to go to two, it would be the .257 and .300 I would keep. With good, heavy-for-caliber premium bullets, the .300 would work for all but the very largest of the world's game animals.
.30/06<P>.338 Win Mag<P>.450 Lott
M15Ti in 7.21 tomahawk/carbon wrap<BR>M15ti in 22 250<BR>M18Ti in 300 Win.<BR>M18SS in 416 Rem<BR>LRT 2 in 408 Chey Tac<BR>LRT 3 in 50 BMG<BR> <A HREF="http://www.prairiegunworks.com" TARGET=_blank>www.prairiegunworks.com</A>
Ross: Apaprently math wasn't your best subject in school huh? (just kidding ya)<P>Tex
Posted By: jbmi Re: What's in your rifle battery? - 10/11/01
223<P>30-06<P>338<P>These would be my choices if I could only have three, but the truth is rigth now I only have the 338 along with 7 other calibers I have not listed.
Posted By: Kent Re: What's in your rifle battery? - 10/11/01
Just thought I'd review the favorites listed:<P>1st place - .375 (10)<BR> .30-06 (10)<BR>3rd place - .223 (8)<BR> .338 (win/rum) (8)<BR>5th place - .300 (win/rum) (7)<P>I would like to personally like give special thanks to the couple of .50 bmg entries. Almost forgot that one!
For me It would be and is the 240WBY ultra lite mag.,the 30-06 Styre and the 257WBY accuark or a 25-06 with a Shillen barrel all of which I have and love.
Tough question! Is ammo available for any gun of choice at any time? Is there a reason for the limitation? For my answer I think I'll leave out the 22 rim fire. Though I love the little 22 I don't think it should limit my hunting choices. If access to ammo might be a problem I'd have to go with:<BR> 233 in a varment rig<BR> 308 in a light weight mountian rig<BR> 30/06 in a standard bolt<P>If ammo isn't a concern I wolud go with:<BR> 223 in a varment rig<BR> 7-08 in a mountian rig<BR> 338 wm in a bolt action
#1- 22-250<P>#2- 338 Ultra<P>#3- 458 Ultra<P>That oughta do it [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]
Posted By: las Re: What's in your rifle battery? - 10/13/01
For North America - <BR>.22-250 (I don't need it in Alaska, but it's the only gun many Eskimos own - as seal to polar bear rifle!)<BR>.280 (have it, great sheep/caribou/goat rifle)<BR>.338 Win Mag (have it)<P>So how come I pack an '06 more often than not? Or a .30-30 pre-64 Win 94 when just banging around?<P>If I could pick only one, it would be .300 Win Short Mag. No have, but want!
For what I do here in the Pacific Northwest:<P>1. 30-06 <BR>2. 338 Win Mag<P>Don't <I>need</I> a third gun (hope my wife doesn't see this) but since there is no such thing as too many:<P>3. 7mm STW
Every one has their favorites and you all had some great choices. This is a fun topic to ponder. Here are the three rifles which I would not want to be without. My choices were determined by the game and topography that I hunt. These are not hypothetical rifles, these are the ones I own that get the most use.<P>1. Remington 700 BDL varminter in .222 rem. My favorite for a day in the prairie dog towns.<P>2. Ruger M77 in 220 Swift. This is the rifle I reach for 90 percent of the time. It takes care of the varmint calling chores and kills whitetail deer just as dead as my .270 ever did. <P>3. Remington Sendero in 25-06. This is the long range rifle. It goes with me to the deer stands that over look those long senderos, power line right-of-ways, and big wheat fields. It also comes out of the case when the prairie dogs in the next zip code realy start to taunt me.<P>Those are the three that fill the bill for the game I can hunt; prairie dogs up to Whitetail deer. <P>I do not own a .22 rimfire rifle because I have a Ruger Mark I target pistol that takes care of all my rimfire and small game hunting needs. <P>To round out my gun battery there is an 870 Remington in 12 gauge for turkey and waterfowl and a Rugger Red Label in 20 gauge for quail ( over pointers )and doves.<P>This gun battery covers all the game that is avaliable for me to hunt in Texas. Were I to have the time and resources to go after elk and big mlue deer I would want another rifle. <P>I have been thinking about what caliber that rifle would be. I like the Sako hunter. It's stock fits well and I think it would be easy to shoot with from an off hand position. I am not quite sure which caliber it should be. What would you sugest for elk and mule deer. I like the .270 but I've been thinking perhaps a 7 Rem. mag might be better for the elk. What do you elk hunters recommend?
OK, 3 rifles...for a day in day out varmit rifle, I would pick my Rem. #7 stainless in .223 W/ leo. 3x9 with dot. for all around big game rifle I would pick my Weatherby .280 ultralight W/ leo. 4x12 with dot. for long range I would pick my Rem LTR .308 W/4.5x14 50mm with dot. I could kill most anything I wanted with this combo... good shootin,vbshootinrange
Posted By: Kent Re: What's in your rifle battery? - 10/15/01
prarie dog shooter, Check out my question on the Big Game category, "Elk rifle". I asked a similar question. There is hours of fun and good reading.
I'd have to keep my .30-06, and my .45-70, and would probably choose either a .223, or a 22-250 (leaning a little towards the .223 because it is cheaper to buy ammo for, and cheaper to reload)
Posted By: 4pwr Re: What's in your rifle battery? - 10/17/01
Any one who lists their guns on the internet needs their head examined.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 4pwr:<BR><STRONG>Any one who lists their guns on the internet needs their head examined.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Especially because everything you read on the internet is true [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>At any rate I think our participation here would put us on the same sort of lists as "known gun owners" Or are you concerned about theft?<P>Scott
Posted By: 4pwr Re: What's in your rifle battery? - 10/18/01
I think it is great to discuss our experiences with various calibers and such. I just think some things should remain in the realm of our private lives for a variety of reasons,theft being one of them.
4pwr,<P>Now you've really got me interested. Are all your reasons for being "quiet" about what you own security related? Things like theft, confiscation etc... Or do you feel like it's bragging? Or along the lines of airing your dirty laundry in public? <P>Regards,<BR>Scott
Scott my concerns are security related. I like to brag about how well my ole betsy shoots as anyone.Besides I misread the post. I thought we were being asked to list the guns we own. We are being asked what three guns we consider the ideal battery. I can do that. It`s fun. .458 win, 30-06, .223. I consider the 22rf and 12 guage to be everyday tools and would not count them .
Posted By: Kent Re: What's in your rifle battery? - 10/18/01
That's the spirit. Thought it would be fun for you savy woodsmen to help the less expirienced shooters/hunters to develop a battery of centerfirve rifles. There are some great discussions comparing similar calibers, but none addressing a small arsenal to cover a variety of targets and game. <P>It might help some of us with our next purchase - plus it seemed fun to dream a bit.<P>No one mention a SCOUT type rifle, Sgt. Cooper style - until now. I think a short barreled, lightweight bipod mounted .308 would be a hoot to build.
I never took to the scout rifle concept. I guess I am too tradition bound. That scope over the barrel just doesn`t seem right to me. This is a stupid prejudice as I have never handled or shot one. Do you get a quick and full field of view from the scope. I think if I was interstd in small and light I would look hard at Remmy`s Mod 7. I am a recoil weenie and would think twice about a light 308. A 7/08 or 260 sounds good.
I made myself a Scout once. And I've played with the Steyr Scout. <BR> My take is that they are a step up from the .30-30 carbine. They are virtually as handy, just as fast, and have, at least, twice the range and power. The forward mounted scope does great things. It does make it fast. It shifts the rifle's weight forward, which helps steady holding. <BR> But, it does have some drawbacks. The little scope, mounted where it is, isn't much help when one is trying to see poorly defined targets. A standard 4X is much more helpful. Their light weight makes for some stiff recoil. <BR> I no longer own mine. I have two 7 1/4-7 1/2 lb. sporters that take care of my needs for light sporters. But, I did adopt the CW sling concept. They are much lighter, and twice as fast/easier to use than the conventional military style shooting sling. E
243 Deer and Varmits<BR>270 Deer and elk<BR>300 Win Mag any thing in North America
These discussions are always a lot of fun. Here are my rifle choices:<P>1) .22 (It's surprising how versatile it is)<BR>2) .30/06 (I have all sorts of calibers, but I don't really need them. This will do anything you need done)<BR>3) 7.62x39 (My Russian SKS and a few boxes of these are comforting to have in the uncharted waters we are entering)<P>A 12 gauge shotgun certainly isn't a rifle, but it has a big place in my battery.<P>Would any battery be complete without a Colt 1911-A1 in .45 ACP?
My three choices would be a 270,35 whelen and 45/70.
4 rifles to hunt every thing, every where? OK, I think I'd go with....<P>an AR-15 in .223. Varmints, ugly situations.<BR>.30-06. No better cartridge made.<BR>.340 Weatherby. Lions and Tigers and Bears oh-my<BR>.416 Rigby for thick skinned critters.<P>7mm
Hey guys,<P> My turn, this is a tuffy. But when you think about it, a 12 gauge shotgun would have to be one of my choices. You can shoot shot and slug so you can hunt everything. My .308 would be the next it is perfect and can do almost anything. A 300 ultra would be a must for all the bigger game. So my three would be a <BR>1 12 gauge 870 express Remington shotgun<BR>2 308 7600 Remington<BR>3 300 ultra mag<P>Hey if a shotgun Don't count then I would have a 243 in the place of it in a Howa model.
North America:<P>22LR for the small stuff.<BR>22-250 for pesky critters.<BR>30-30 for sneaking around.<BR>35 Whelen for the serious stuff.<P>Worldwide:<P>Add a .416 Remington to the list.
well... hello everybody. this is my first post here. And what a great topic for you guys to get to know me. here are my choices.<p>BIG GAME .338 Win Mag<p>medium size game I have a few choices for this one.
lever action 30-30... I'm suprised that I'm one of only a few that have choosen this gun. I hunt in really thick areas and couldn't imagine carrying anything else. This is the only gun I own right now and it does the dead for what I use it on. I have a winchester model 94. But I like my brother in law's marlin better. I like the side action for the scope. I could never get my scope adjusted right so I just use sights. most of my shots are not too long anyway.<p>..small/ medium size game I'd have to say a 25.06. I never shot one before but from what I read this sounds like a really fun gun to have.<p>If I could have just one more it would be a remingto 870 12 gauge combo. I bowhunt alot in a shotgun only zone. I'd like to rifle hunt there also but can't until I get a shotgun. So maybe that will be my next purchase..lol
Every post that I read gave me more and more ideas. I had to sit down for awhile to let the powder flow. Large game would be the 338 win. mag. with 250 gr. Nosler Partitions. Medium game would be covered with a 30-06 with 165gr. Nosler Partitions. Varmits would watch out for the 223 and of course another Nosler bullet. I'm addicted to them.
Every post that I read gave me more and more ideas. I had to sit down for awhile to let the powder flow. Large game would be the 338 win. mag. with 250 gr. Nosler Partitions. Medium game would be covered with a 30-06 with 165gr. Nosler Partitions. Varmits would watch out for the 223 and of course another Nosler bullet. I'm addicted to them.
Let me put on me kevlar underwear then I'll post.<p>1st....a Marlin 94 in .41 Mag to go with my S&W Model 657 and my T/C, both in .41 Mag. This is just a knock around rifle around the camp.<p>2nd....My AK-47. Darn handy varmit rifle.<p>3rd....My Browning Micro-Medallion 7mm-08. Hard to go hungry with that handy.<p>Leon
Three would be easy.
.223 in a medium heavy vaminter.
.30-06 Model 70.
.375 H&H Model 70<p>With 4 you could specialize the calibers a bit but keep general purpose rifles.
Same .223
Moderate lightweight .270 bolt, say about 7 1/2 lbs all up with scope.
Sporter .338 Win Mag., say about 8 1/2 lbs.
.416 Rem. Mag.<p>With five, you could specialize the rifles some.
Same .223
Heavy barrel .22-250 or .243
Featherweight 7mm-08, about 6 lbs all up with scope.
Bolt action .300 Mag of some flavor.
Bolt action .416 or .458.<p>With six...HEY, WAIT JUST A DOGGONE MINUTE! I recognize this slippery slope. If I recall, this line of thinking is how I got to where I am now... [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]
Starting today,my choices would be:.222/.223 bolt rifle,.250 lever,.284 bolt,.308 lever,.35whelan bolt or maybe a pump.Loudcloud, good choices. Scott.
Never mind. [img]images/icons/blush.gif" border="0[/img]
Savage 99 in .250 Savage
<br>M10 Ross in .303 Epps
<br>Remington 7600 in .35 Whelen
Easy
<br>
<br>heavy sing bolt 22br
<br>heavy single bolt 284
<br>lightweight bolt 284 or 7-08
Although I've hunted with various different rifles,this is My personal battery.
<br>Winchester '94 30.30
<br> Springfield '73 45/70
<br> Mossberg #5500 12 ga semi auto
<br>It's easy to see that I am a Woodlands Hunter.
<br>Frank
Well let's see!
<br>
<br> #1- Ruger 77/22 Target
<br> #2- Win. Model 70 Featherweight- .223 Rem.
<br> ( military round/ varmint round)
<br> #3- Marlin 30-30 - ammo availability
<br> #4- Win. Model 88 - .308Win.
<br> (military round/ extremely versatile)
<br> #5- Win.Model70 Semi-custom - .375 Ackley Imp.
<br> ( from "prarrie poodles" to Elephants, it can do
<br> it all)
<br> memtb
Being a person with simple tastes here goes, I do not think my choices will fit in well here.
<br>32 Winchester Special
<br>270 Winchester
<br>30-30 Winchester
<br>Hummmm, kinda looks like I am into winchester calibers.
<br>Had not noticed till I wrote'm down.
3 maybe 4 rifles for all needs. How about a T/C Encore in .250 Savage, a Bolt 30-06 with 180 gr Partition Handloads, a Lever Gun in .358 Win. That would cover them all but I feel I should add a Guide Gun in 45/70 to my list. Quite a bit of overlap in that list but redundancy is a good thing I think. Of course I to feel that a 12 gauge pump is necessary. As well as a couple of handguns. Sean
STARTING a hunting collection, from scratch... oh boy oh boy oh boy....
<br>
<br>1. Savage 11F in .223 (22")
<br>
<br>2. CZ 550 Lux in 7x57mm (24")
<br>
<br>3. Marlin 1895 in .45-70 Govt (22" -- NOT the Guide Gun)
<br>
<br>and if we're imposing a "Made In America" restriction:
<br>
<br>2. Ruger #1 Light Sporter in 7x57mm (22")
<br>
<br>Own Drummer
Too hard to keep just 3. Lord knows I've tried.
<br>
<br>how about: .223 AR-15 match gun with shorty upper too. For targets, varmints, hey it even makes a good squirrel rifle.
<br>
<br>medium game....could do it all with a 30-06. Need to have a couple of action styles...m98 Mauser and a Rem pump
<br>
<br>Large game......338 bolt gun hands down.
<br>
<br>Brush gun.......35 or 45/70 lever and a #5 Lee-enfield, maybe sportered and rechambered to .303 Epps to do the wildcat thing.
<br>
<br>I could make it with those. Plus a good .22 and a 12 gauge Ithaca m37.
Sako Finfire Varmint (22LR)
<br>Sako Finfire Sporter (22LR)
<br>Ruger 77 VT .223
<br>Remington 700 Classic .243
<br>Ruger 77 RBZ .243 (rebarrelled to #4 contour)
<br>
<br>Would like...
<br>Ruger #1 in 22 K Hornet, or .17 Hornet
<br>
<br>And maybe one day....
<br>Remington 700 VLS in 7/08 or 308
Marlin 336 in 35rem
<br>Rem 700 bdl in 30-06
<br>Marlin Golden 39a
<br>Marlin 882ssv
<br>
<br>And I love them all!!
What a question! And one that gets asked about every full moon! LOL! Asked this question on another site not long ago myself. Keep in mind that I am obsessive compulsive and like for things to match! Here goes:
<br>
<br>A Howa 1500 in .30-06
<br>A Howa 1500 in .338 Win Mag.
<br>
<br>Now, if you are of a metric bent, how about:
<br>
<br>CZ 550 in 7x57mm
<br>CZ 550 in 9.3x62mm
Hehehehe Sib you ole rascal,
<br>
<br>TWO MATCHING guns?
<br>
<br>That would be tooooo boring.
<br>
<br>
<br>Own Drummer
<br>.25-06 Ackley
<br>.30-06
<br>.375 H&H
<br>
<br>Rick
Hey, Own Drummer and Sibelius.... good to see you here, thought I'd come over for a look see. The other site was getting too cranky for me! Anyway, here's my answer to this one:
<br>
<br>6.5 x 55mm Swede (Ruger 77 or Win 70 F/W)
<br>.30-06 (Win Model 70)
<br>.338 Win Mag (Ruger 77 or Browning A-bolt)
<br>
<br>That'd do it for me, but I wouldn't be happy with just three! Regards, N.L. (from balmy B.C.)
Hi OWN DRUMMER . . . now, admit it, wouldn't you LOVE to have a matching set of, maybe Weatherbys, in various chamberings? Maybe a set of Sakos?
<br>
<br>I wanted to build on Tikka, but got thrown off with my Howa. So much for my plans!
<br>
<br>You need to check out my info from Tikka on Shooters.com.
Hi NLOGAN . . . from what I see, some of them need your professional touch. One or two need to be incarcerated if they go too far north! LOL!
<br>
<br>Gee, one thread was limiting us to one! From what Tikka said to me, sounds like the 6.5x55mm SE may be the best choice.
Sibelius - LOL! Unfortunately, those guys go far but not far enough! A couple of those guys are driving everyone away, though!
<br>
<br>Anyway, will probably be popping back & forth between sites. Is Bearhunter, Klallen, Ruttin etc over here yet? Have to get used to finding my way around here! LOL!
<br>
<br>Chat with ya later, regards, N.L.
<br>
<br>
Let me think. For a good battery, hmmm...
<br>
<br>a semi-auto .223
<br>a good bolt action in .257 (necked down 7mm Rem Mag, fun for handloads)
<br>a .338-06
<br>a .375 H&H
<br>a .408 Chey Tac ( I looked up that thing, it's cool)
<br>a .50 BMG (what else?)
- FN-Browning engraved O/U, 9,3x74R + Swarovski 1,25-4x24 in S�hler claw mounts ;
<br>- F.A.L., 7,62 Nato ;
<br>- Mauser K98 "Scout", 9,3x62 + Leupold 2x EER ,
<br>- Blaser R93 Luxus U.I.T. fluted bbl., .222 Rem + Swarovski 6-24x50 AO ;
<br>- Blaser R93 OffRoad, .300 Win Mag + Swarovski 2,5-10x42 ;
<br>- Sauer 202 Europa Lux, 7x64 + Swarovski 1,5-6x42 ;
<br>- Win 70 custom ( Lothar Walther bbl.), .338 Win Mag + Swarovski 1,5-6x42 ;
<br>- Ruger 77 Mk II VT, .22-250 + Leupold Vari X-III 6-20x40 AO ;
<br>- Rem 700 Sendero FS, .300 Win Mag + Leupold Vari X-III 3,5-10x50.
<br>+ assorted .22's.
<br>
Posted By: DFC Re: What's in your rifle battery? - 03/17/02
Not bragging but I have too many to list so I'll list the ones I like the best.
<br>Rem VSSF 223
<br>Rem VSSF 22-250
<br>Rem custom 257 STW
<br>Rem Sendero SF 25-06
<br>Rem Sendero SF 300 Ultra Mag
<br>Rem custom 308
<br>Rem custom 223
<br>Springfield super match M1A
<br>Bushmaster DCM match rifle
<br>Winchester pre 64 375 H&H
<br>
<br>Do I need them all? Yes I do
<br>
<br>
<br>Dan
Wow Dan, you have some cool stuff. Regards, N.L.
Here goes:
<br>
<br>Ruger MKII in 375/404 shortened to standard length so I can use the Stainless action.
<br>
<br>Springfield Armory M-25 Carlos Hathcock
<br>
<br>Marlin 1895 GS 45-70 (Stainless Guide Gun)
<br>
<br>The above just about covers it for me, The 375/404 could take DG very reliably, even in Africa and could take some pretty long shots as well. There is nothing like shooting prairie hogs and varmints with the M-25... trust me. Finally, the 1895 is good for just about anything within 150 yds.
I think I may "have it covered".
<br>Five Rem 700's:VSSF 223,MR257Rbts.,MRSS 270,ADL/FS 7RemMag,BDL 300 WinMag.Sako Varmint 22-250 and a Win70 30-06.If I can't get by with these,what do I need?I have a feeling someone is going to tell me.
Sib,
<br>
<br>Sorry, I don't like Weatherbys, just because I'm not a bog fan of Monte Carlo stocks--or, as a buddy called them, "broken" stocks. The most I'll grant is the "drop" stock beloved of CZ and other Euro rifles.
<br>
<br>I know, the MC stock gets your eye up to the scope--but considering I hardly ever use a scope.... well, you know that about me.
<br>
<br>If I do have a problem with lining up eye to scope, I use a "wrap" on the stock. But I like my stocks the way they were intended--straight.
<br>
<br>As for matching rifles... hmmm lemme think about that a while. Although any bolt action is fine by me, as long as it's a Mauser 98 or clone.
Gotta love these kind of questions!
<br>
<br>1. 30-06 actually the only gun i would really need (own it)
<br>
<br>2. 45-70 for the big stuff ( buying it)
<br>
<br>3. Savage 99 takedown in 250-3000 for lighter stuff (dreaming of it)
<br>
<br>different choices perhaps but thats what makes this interesting!
<br>
<br>Good hunting
Just some of what I have and use, 22/250, 243, 25/06, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57, 308, 30/30, 300 win mag, 303 British, 375 H&H. And of course there are some in .22
The guns i need (Left handed of course):
<br>
<br>Model 70 Classic 375 H&H (modified by D'arcy Echols as long as I'm dreaming)
<br>Model 70 Stainless Classic .30-06 (Rifles Inc - Strata Stainless 6 lbs)
<br>Model 70 Stainless Classic .25-06 (for speed goats)
<br>Ultra Light Arms .300 WSM (for everything else)
<br>
<br>Lever:
<br>45-70 Stainless Guide Gun (WWG take down of course since i'm still dreaming)
<br>
<br>oh yeah.....may as well throw in a David Miller .416 Rigby too...
<br>
<br>Now.........about those winning lottery numbers??
Well what I'v got right now is
<br>Winchester 94 30-30
<br>Rem Mountain Rifle 25.06
<br>Rem Sendero 7mm RUM
<br>Marlin 1895LTD 45/70
<br>What I'm looking at next is a 22.250,a black powder 50 cal,and starting to read up on the 416 Rigby.Also looking at the Pedersoli 45/70s.
<br>Jeff
<br>Oh yeah I'v got an SKS but I don't talk about it. [Linked Image]
Well, I just acquired a couple more.Another Rem 700,this one in 22-250,makes 6 700's from 223 to 300 Win, and a Ruger M77MKII in 223,Also picked up a Sako L579 action,what caliber it will become is yet undecided.Good rifles are like money and girlfriends,can't have too much or too many.
My Rifle battery is.
<br>243 win
<br>7mm Rem Mag
<br>300 Rum
<br>As long as we do not count 22 long rifle.
© 24hourcampfire