Home
Posted By: BearClan Sako Optilock mounting - huh? - 08/04/12
In hopes of "curing" my Sako Finnlight ejection problems, I've ordered Sako medium rings to replace my Sako extra low rings. My problem is that I'm having problems understanding what this passage means.

"The rear of the front base should be level with the front of the ejection openning."

I've looked at online photos of mounted scopes using optilock rings and bases and the above instructions don't match what I thought it meant.

Any tips on mounting Sako Rings and Bases would be greatly appreciated (note: I've already ordered and received better/stronger ring screws on Ebay).

In case you'er wondering, the gunshop installed the extra low Optilock rings and bases for me.
Posted By: pal Re: Sako Optilock mounting - huh? - 08/04/12
What they are saying is to install the front ring base forward enough so that it doesn't cover the ejection port.

This photo shows my Sako with the (wrong) front base that came with it. Notice how it overhangs the port.

[Linked Image]

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/Optilockbase.pdf
http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/Optilockring.pdf

I think what they are saying is that the rear of the front base should rest at the beginning of the opening of the ejection port. Mine is a bit forward of that and it works fine.
Thanks guys. Now it makes sense and it is fine if it is forward of the "ejection" openning. It was setup by the gunshop about a half inch beyond the ejection openning.
Posted By: pal Re: Sako Optilock mounting - huh? - 08/04/12
The mounting is a tapered dovetail. It goes where it goes.
I've had some instructions that say flush with the front of ejection port, and others that say centered on the front dovetail. I think it depends what length action you order bases for.
My gun is a .300 WSM. I assume the gunshop I purchased the gun from ordered the correct bases. I've made "witness" marks on the bases and the rings in hopes it makes the switchero of rings easier.
Why on earth some gunsmiths mount bases that overhang the"ejection" port, either front or back, I will never know! Looks bloody ugly. The manufacturer put a great big hole there for a reason and then some dimwit goes and covers some of it, and usually the most important bit for clean ejection. IMO if the bases dont match the appropriate length on the front or the back, they should be centred on the front and back of the receiver. If you are using original Sako tapered bases then they should fit centred. If they overhang, try some others that match the d&t holes correctly.
moving the front base/ring affects the windage.It's best to install the scope loose and adjust the front ring until you center the scope on the barrel.
BTW what is your Finnlight?S,M.L action?I have a S action and it functions perfect.
I can't beleive there isn't a cure for this.Almost makes me want to buy one of those problem children to try to fix.
If the price was right of course.
It's a .300 WSM (short-action). Perhaps the short-fat case is part of the issue (in addition to a ejection system that some feel is a inherent flaw). The topic of Sako M85 ejection issues was a recent thread here that I followed with interest prior to receiving mine.
This is how they should be mounted on a short action...

[Linked Image]
That's the same orientation of the bases on a long action but the front ring sits at the rear of the base rather than front.
© 24hourcampfire