Home
Posted By: joelkdouglas Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/05/12
Gents,

Anybody used both a Rem Model 7 and a Rem Mountain Rifle? Care to describe your opinion of each?

From the looks of Rem's offerings per their website, the Mountain Rifle is mostly for a long action (though 7-08 and 308 are offerings), and the Model 7 is only a short action. What's the difference between a Model 7 and a short action 700?

Do you think the Model 7's 20-inch barrel suits it better than the 22-inch barrel on the Mountain Rifle?

Is the length of pull the same for both rifles?

v/r
Joel
I've had them both and the MR was in a long action .280 and the M7 was in a 7-08. You understand that the M7 action is shorter than the short action M700 don't you? I liked them both. I think it'd depend on what calibre you are wanting and what you intend to hunt.
I'd suggest you go to a big box store and have the clerk lay one of each on the counter for you to handle and mount. One of them may speak to you.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/05/12
I have both.

I think they've upgraded the stock on the MR. That's a good thing as the laminate stocks are butt-heavy for both the M7 and MR.

At one point I had a M7 in 7-08 and a MR in 7-08. The primary difference us that the M7 action is 1/2" shorter in the bridge (the area behind the loading port). That makes it lighter and more compact-feeling. Where a 20" M7 really shines is in the thicker stuff, where the compact nature is really great. Mine is a .358 now but is still my main "thick stuff" rifle.

The M700 MR with a 22" barrel certainly won't suck in thick stuff, but, where the MR really shines IMHO is set up in a light 'glass stock as a more open-country rifle.

The M700 action has a TON of aftermarket options-- stocks, rings, etc- while the M7 is much more limited.

'Twer me I'd go MR in 7-08 (short action) or 30-06 (long) in the new glass stock. Or upgrade the stock myself. The exception being if you want a close-cover rifle; then I'd go M7 in .308.
Posted By: orion03 Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/05/12
Have a 260 in a Model 7 and it is one handy little rifle. Really like the shorter action of the 7.
Posted By: RDW Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/05/12
I have had a 7 and a 70 FWT which is very close to the MR, if I wanted another lightweight I would choose the MR knowing I could always lop off 2" later.
I have multiples of both and prefer the 700 MR because the stock fits me better, I like raised cheekpieces and the ergs of the stock just fit me better than any factory specs 7 stock that I've owned. That said, the factory laminated stocks are a little on the heavy side, so I've bedded most of my 700 MRs in McM stocks, which has resulted in both a lighter and better balanced package. I'm not a fan of the factory specs 7 stocks, more for the negative esthetics of the big, ugly, schnable than for functionality of the stock. Actually, the only factory specs 7 stock that I do like is the laminated mannlicher.

Due to the short/light contour barrels, factory specs 7s are almost always butt-heavy. I have countered this problem by installing longer barrels on several of my 7s, bedding them into McM stocks, or both.

While the 7 action is a little shorter than the 700 SA, it has a larger loading/ejection port, but uses the same magazine box, so the COAL limits are the same.

The LOP for both is 13.5".

You really need to try both and see which works better for you.

Jeff
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/05/12
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Due to the short/light contour barrels, factory specs 7s are almost always butt-heavy.

Agreed. I just like the feel of the M700 better (and have had a few Model Sevens to compare with).

I have countered this problem by installing longer barrels on several of my 7s,...

If you're going to go through this, just get the M700 to start with, you'll be money ahead from the beginning.

You really need to try both and see which works better for you.

Of course, that is always your best option. Go to your local gunshop, handle a few, and see what you think.

FWIW, my vote goes to the M700 Mountain Rifle.
I would never again pick a M7 action over a 700, never.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/05/12
Scott, why? Aftermarket parts support or is it a fundamental issue in the M7 action that you don't like?
M7's tend to be more problematic to get to feed at times and I've yet to see one out shoot a 700. The logistics is just lagniappe
I have lots of free time, lots of actions, barrels, and stocks, a mill and a lathe, so reworking rifles gives me something to do to fill my idle time. I wouldn't pay a professional 'smith to have most of this work done, but since I enjoy doing it, have the tools, and at least some of the skill/knowledge, I just tinker with it until it is right for me.

Jeff
Posted By: CLB Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/05/12
Joel,

Having owned both, I will only buy a 700 from now on. To me, it just cycles and feels better than the 7. Not sure how else to explain it.
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/05/12
Jeff-

When I said "you" in my post, it was a generalization, not you specifically blush.

I know you do your own; that's different than somebody who has to pay a 'smith to do something that doesn't really need done.

If I had to pay somebody every time I switched stocks, or swapped triggers, or bedded a stock, I'd either be broke or shooting bone stock factory guns. laugh
Posted By: woofer Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/05/12
700's work for everything.........
Never could warm to the 7. Never felt balanced no matter what I did to it... A long action mountain rifle properly stocked feels like a rifle should... JMO

W
Short action 700s are small in the port opening for those with larger fingers and/or hunt in the cold. As hunting tools, the M7 has it over the 700 in that department. I like the lam stock on the stainless MR 7-08 I have. I don't shoot offhand if I can use a rest anyway, or spend much time lingering over balance when shooting offhand, so 'butt-heavy' matters little to me. (The smaller port opening bothers me more when considering large, numb, and now arthritic thumbs.)

[Linked Image]

(700 MR, front; Model Seven, rear; both 7mm-08...at that time anyway. wink )
Originally Posted by Steelhead
M7's tend to be more problematic to get to feed at times and I've yet to see one out shoot a 700. The logistics is just lagniappe

I'll yield to your more extensive knowledge, but damned if I'm not running into the opposite experience presently.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
I have had both and liked them both, but they are two different rifles to me.

The MR was a 270 that was very accurate, had a stock that fit me very well and needed no work right out of the box. My son has it now and he's going to keep it.

The Model 7 was a stainless 308 with a plastic stock. While I like 308's I already had a Montana in 308 and had plans for the Model 7 to be a thick woods rifle. It has now been converted to 338 Fed with a stainless Hart barrel that is a little heavier than the original Remington barrel. The plastic stock felt small and the fore end seemed to be warped to the right. I put an HS Precision stock on it and the Model 7 became a keeper.

The Mountain Rifle I gave to my son was a product of Remington's custom shop and needed no further work. The Model 7 was just a rifle off the production line that needed a replacement stock just to get groups down to 2" at 100yds. I bought the Model 7 for the purpose of making a short, light, handy, powerhouse for close in hunting and I couldn't be happier with it, but it is not anything like it was when I bought it.

Model 7

[Linked Image]

I have 5 model sevens and 11 model 700s, it is just like a car.....everyone has their make and model that fit them better.although I love my 700s, I would give up all 11 700s before I parted with any ofmy model sevens. I am 5 9 and 205 with a stocky build and short arms, the model seven fits me much better and all of my sevens have a half inch shorter length of pull than my 700s, just enough to make them fit me better. Jmo, lenny
Posted By: Jericho Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
One of the guys here has a Model Seven in 358 Win.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've yet to see one out shoot a 700.

Me either........
Posted By: toad Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
[Linked Image]

i like the 7s, but the demise of the SS M7 will leave a mark
I agree that Remington has made a marketing error by dropping the stainless 7s. I switched from being a 6.5x55 guy to a 260 guy because I could buy a Remington 7 SS in 260, but nobody offered a stainless 6.5x55 in 1997. That Remington 7 was the 1st of many, 13 currently, in 223, 243, 6BR, 250-3000, 25-284, 260 (x4), 6.5-284, 7mm SAUM (x2), and 300 Savage. I think that if push came to shove, I could get along pretty well with just 3 Remington 7s in 223, 260, and 7mm SAUM. 7 have retained their original barrels, 18.5" (x1), 20" (x4), and 22" (x2), while the other have had barrels from 22" to 28" installed. That 1st 7SS is still in service in 260, but with a 22" barrel from a 700 LSS-MR and a factory laminated stock.

I haven't noticed any particular difference in accuracy between the 7 and 700 when all of the variables were equal.

Jeff
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
My 7 started as a 243. Had/have a 243 in a 700 I liked so I put a MR 708 barrel on the 7......lil sucker shoots much better than it should! That said the wood stock makes it butt heavy and it deserves a hunters edge(un painted)...only shot two groups from it workin up a load then on more to confirm. The rest has been at steal and deer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: toad Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
funny you should mention the 7mm-08 in an unpainted Edge. (this one is the M7 KS pattern).

[Linked Image]
Damn I love that F1 stock..
Originally Posted by Jericho
One of the guys here has a Model Seven in 358 Win.

Probably more than one of us...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#3 Shilen, NECG Masterpiece rear, factory stock; shoots well.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
I also have a .358 M7. Mine is a 20" Pac-Nor tube... long shank and all, lol...

I'm using the laminate stock, which I like the feel of. I put a Limbsaver on mine.

The butt-heaviness of the M7 and MR LSS stocks can be fixed by aggressively hollowing out the buttstock.... a non-trivial job but really changes how they carry. Or, of course, more barrel will move the balance point forwards.
Posted By: DMc Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
I'm a Mdl 7 guy. With a 20" barrel and McKS stock it's the best production rifle I've run across in just about every catagory that's important to me. (Accuracy, weight, balance, ergos, compactness, etc.)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
Eros, eh?

You do luv you some M7..........
Posted By: blargon Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
(The smaller port opening bothers me more when considering large, numb, and now arthritic thumbs.)

[Linked Image]

(700 MR, front; Model Seven, rear; both 7mm-08...at that time anyway. wink )

The 1/2" of base overhanging the port on the M7 would cancel out any advantage for me...
Posted By: KDK Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Eros, eh?

You do luv you some M7..........

Laughin'... I caught that, too.
There will be no more Sevens for me.
Jeff_O, KDK, & all other haters, FIXED IT. The ergo is ALMOST Ero. hehehehe Don't you dare say anything about sticky keys...
Originally Posted by blargon
The 1/2" of base overhanging the port on the M7 would cancel out any advantage for me...

Talley lightweights do not overlap.

[Linked Image]

I like my 7s in the McM MR stock. The long/shallow radius PG of the KS style stock just doesn't work for me as well ergonomically speaking. I like my PGs with a short/tight radius, so I'm shelving my Compacts, except on the Winchester/USRA 70 WSSMs where they are really the only viable option, in favor of MRs on light & standard barreled rifles and McM Hunters on magnum sporters and light varmint barreled rifles.

Jeff
Posted By: cal74 Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
I've hunted with Model 7 SS/20" 7mm-08 for quite a few years and it always treated me well. Always thought it was whippy feeling though.

Few years back, picked up a faux ti (mountain guide) 7mm-08 22".
Night and day difference vs the Model 7 and while I have no plans to sell the M7 anytime soon, it hasn't been used since I picked up the Mtn. Rifle.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
I always liked the m700 better and can't really point out specific reasons why, but ergos come into it for shure, and the amount of aftermarket stuff available for 700s...
Took a M7 Predator and cobbled it up a bit more to my liking, duracoated and put in a B&C Alaskan Ti stock....we are getting along better these days... grin

[Linked Image]

I suppose that critter got a propper burial? whistle

Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Ingwe, how'd you strip the dip camo off the metal? What've you done to the shroud that makes it shiny? Here's a shroud you need to match your fluted barrel!!

[Linked Image]

DMc
I didnt strip it off, I duracoated over it! Havent given it enough heavy use yet to see if it'll work well or not...
When I say I cobble something...I'm not kidding..... wink
Originally Posted by DMc
Ingwe, how'd you strip the dip camo off the metal? What've you done to the shroud that makes it shiny? Here's a shroud you need to match your fluted barrel!!

[Linked Image]

DMc

I dunno...theres something indefinable gay about that thing... blush
Originally Posted by blargon

You can dislike the M7 for whatever reason(s) you like, whether it be less scope mount options, the way older style Warne bases extend, or whatever. Don't assume, however, that my pic is showing something it ain't. With scopes mounted on either rifle - or without, only bases- the SA 700 has a more difficult to load through port, at least when using something based on the 308 case. The SA 700 port seems about right for the 222-type case, perhaps even the 250 Savage based cases. If I were to do over again my MR would be a long action, the better to fit my hunting uses for the rifle. (I know the usual "you only need one, maybe two shots" deal. However, a five-per-day caribou deal isn't always accomplished with four in the mag, nor do wolves always present ideal "still" shots.) Shooting always trumps fumbling in my book. The M7 isn't generally a 'go-to' rifle when paper is what I'm intent on bringing home. Multiple tons of meat attest, in my experience anyway, to them being more than adequate as hunting rifles.
Originally Posted by DMc
Don't you dare say anything about sticky keys...

My mind wasn't even there, but since you brought it up... so to speak... sick
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by DMc

[Linked Image]

DMc

I dunno...theres something indefinable gay about that thing... blush

Inqwe, you definitely need a new Poobah hat.

Poobah hats in the classifieds.

KDK, perv!!!
Posted By: blargon Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/06/12
Klikitarik, I'm not hating on the M7, I've had 2 of them. A 7-08 & a .300saum, both were tight shooters and nice handling. Just saying, I wouldn't use any base on any action that hung over the port. Both mine wore Talley lightweights...
Originally Posted by DMc
KDK, perv!!!

I've been called worse. What the heck, I am a land surveyor!
Posted By: DMc Re: Model 7 vs Mountain Rifle - 08/07/12
All those swirlys take a close second to some of the sunsets you've seen!
I carried a short action M7 SS and a long action MR in 270. As a matter of preference the MR carried like a wet dream. The M7 still just doesnt feel as good even restocked. Just personal opinion.
© 24hourcampfire