Home
One of the dings I've heard on the "plasTikka" is the hollow stock. I'm putting a better sissypad on my T3 Lite so now is the time.
Who advocates for the foam (and what kind), and who advocates against?

P
Posted By: mlg Re: Spray foam in a Tikka stock? - 08/17/12
I have used that Plummers foam that comes in a spray can pack and it definately helps to subdue that drumminess.

But one has to be very careful not to fill past about 75% full as it expands steadily as it cures and can make a heck of a mess if it overflows.
Originally Posted by mlg
But one has to be very careful not to fill past about 75% full as it expands steadily as it cures and can make a heck of a mess if it overflows.

Good advise, I've seen it split some expensive stocks open. Foam peanuts can be really packed in there to do the same job and they are free.
I did that with my Savage stock and it helped a lot with hollow sound. It had no effect on accuracy as far as I can tell. But like mlg said, it can get messy if you aren't careful.
I've heard if you don't double check and seal the trigger housing area it can cause a slight problem(especially) if you don't remove the action from the stock first.

At least that's what I heard.

Some dumbass did that with his Sako 85....
Use "low expansion foam" it is made for around doors and windows and does not expand with as much force as the regular spray foam. But do adhere to the 75% rule, you can always add a bit more if needed but it is a bugger to clean up if you get too much in it.

drover
shove a walmart bag in it...
I kept mine hollow. It makes for a pretty decent moose call.
Get DAP brand low expansion window foam

I used it in my plastic stocks works great and won't over expand
I used some accraglass to quiet a ramline stock years ago.Put in a big glob,then used an air nozzle with a long thin spout to blow bubbbles in it.
I stuffed some styrofoam in ,so the glass would only go in so far,then used the air nozzle to make a "spider web" across the inside of the buttstock.
I didnt try it on the forend with the air nozzle,but smearing glass around inside the hollow forend worked ok,but glass did add noticeable weight.

Homedepot carries it

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CLB Re: Spray foam in a Tikka stock? - 08/18/12
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I've heard if you don't double check and seal the trigger housing area it can cause a slight problem(especially) if you don't remove the action from the stock first.

At least that's what I heard.

Some dumbass did that with his Sako 85....

Yep! I remember some dude from Montana who verified this via experiment! Was quite funny at the time smile

But at least that guy made up for it by taking a really nice Mulie!

Remove the action and you will be good to go. Easy to clean up if needed....
Originally Posted by 16bore
shove a walmart bag in it...

I have plenty of these!

P
when i had mine i stuffed them full of the pillow/stuff animal stuffing one finds in the fabric department at walmart! No more hollow sound.
Sand? grin
My grandpa (God rest his soul) stuffed the following into a hole he made in his model 71 deluxe buttstock:

[Linked Image]

salt/pepper, matches, fishing line, hooks, and fire starter.

P
Posted By: Fotis Re: Spray foam in a Tikka stock? - 08/19/12
sweet
My experience with foam in a hollow plastic stock was--- it still sounded way too damned hollow. Tried it in both forend and butt stock.
I did build up a pilar in one a couple inchs in front of the lug where there was a molded in X patern in the stock. With this solid contact, it was quieter and shot a lot better.
I am 100% wood now.
jmho
Tim
© 24hourcampfire